• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Ohio Thread

Kix

Smash Journeyman
Are you in the Dayton area? I think Brawl is preventing many people from playing Melee.

Mike B

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-8237-0519
And no tripping. And hitstun and wavedashing!
That was obviously called for. :laugh:

But regardless, playing a game 7~ years old continuously is frickin' boring in lots of ways... So Brawl is Brawl and Melee is Melee.

Paradigm

Smash Ace
St. Brutus's Secure Center for Incurably Criminal
Man I've been away from the boards for too long. Smash64, Melee or Brawl - I'm still up for it, ladies! And I still claim to be King of the Dayton-area Smashers... just an out of practice one for the time being. Let's fix that, shall we?

Who wants to play melee in the dayton area?
You were supposed to PM me when you wanted some Smash. That scared of the missiles, huh?

Kix, I'll be outta town from like Monday or Tuesday until the 14th or 15th or so. Anytime after that and before school starts up - with enough of a heads up - I should be up for something if you can find someplace to host it. I may be able to nag Reside or Nano enough to join in, too.

Mike B - playing a game where your character can move without being punished, even if it's 7~ years old, is a lot less boring than you'd imagine d;

Paradigm

Smash Ace
Well if you want to get into serious competitive Melee - without leaving Dayton - I'm the guy to talk to while the summer is in. I'm pretty sure I have the most tourney experience of any Daytonite, and there's little debate about me being the best. Me or Reside, anyways.

I'm really itching to get some smash in - think we could set up a date to plan toward? No pressure or anything, I just want something solid too look forward too. Maybe sometime on the weekend of the 16-17th?

Also the thread you linked too - it's been discussed ad nauseam already. Best thing you can do to bring back Melee is start hosting things and going to things other people have hosted. Just announce which game(s) are going to be at whatever you're hosting, don't even mention those which aren't. Anything even remotely close to a Melee vs Brawl thread is just going to annoy people.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
if there are any sizable melee tournaments in dayton, depending on the date, I may be down for bringing a carfull. I simply choose not to believe in Brawl's existence.

Fizzle_Boy

Smash Ace
If there's a tourney in the Dayton area I'll try to make it (I need this; i haven't had a good, competetive game since 06'. So a tourney/smashfest would be good for me cause I neeeed some practice.)

Smocane

Smash Cadet
If there's a tourney in the Dayton area I'll try to make it (I need this; i haven't had a good, competetive game since 06'. So a tourney/smashfest would be good for me cause I neeeed some practice.)
We have a tourney coming up in a few weeks near Columbus. It's about 1.5 hours from Dayton, but I guess that's still kinda close. Here's the link if you might be interested.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=184840

Fizzle_Boy

Smash Ace
All the big cities are at least an hour away from dayton, and since I don't have my license it looks like ill just have to keep looking for dayton smashers to meet up with, but next chace i get, I'll come to one of these and get some much-needed practice time.

Paradigm

Smash Ace
You can get some much-needed practice at a smashfest, right? Doesn't have to be a tourney.

During the school year I got together with a number of people (such as Dizzynecro) at Sinclair and played Brawl. I think it was in the basement of building 5.

If no one can host anything, maybe we can try to get some Melee going on over there. Kix, Fizzle, if I bring a wii/cube there think ya'll could make it? I'd be up for Smash64 or Brawl, too, but I'd prefer Melee.

Anyone else up for, say, weekly Smashing at Sinclair? Sound reasonable?

BYOC, of course.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
K. If anybody is passing through the youngstown area on their way to any of the upcoming Ohio tourney, PLEASE PM ME IF YOU ARE WILLING TO GIVE ME A RIDE!!!

Fizzle_Boy

Smash Ace
You can get some much-needed practice at a smashfest, right? Doesn't have to be a tourney.

During the school year I got together with a number of people (such as Dizzynecro) at Sinclair and played Brawl. I think it was in the basement of building 5.

If no one can host anything, maybe we can try to get some Melee going on over there. Kix, Fizzle, if I bring a wii/cube there think ya'll could make it? I'd be up for Smash64 or Brawl, too, but I'd prefer Melee.

BYOC, of course.
Since I'm like 15 I'll have to hitch a ride and get my parents to ok me going to some random basement on the Sinclair Campus, but M2K is one of the best smashers around and he's probably about my age so I'm gonna keep hope alive.But if things work out alright then I'll see if I can make it. btw where is youngstown anyway?

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Does anyone live near Berea, Ohio? Provided I don't get critically injured this season, I may be playing football for/attending Baldwin-Wallace College and would like to see if there are any melee players near by

BananaHammock

Smash Journeyman
Are there bi-weeklies in Columbus? I saw something about them a while ago, but never saw if they actually took off.

Reinhart_x

Smash Apprentice
I just wanted to know if anyone is in the Central Ohio area that would care to get with me (and perhaps a couple friends) sometime to smash it up. I'm in the Newark/Granville/Heath area, about 30 minutes east of Columbus. We never get to smash with anyone but each other and frankly, I destroy all of my friends in both Melee and Brawl and it gets kinda boring since only a few of them beat me on occasion. That's not to say they can't get better though with some different competition. :laugh: Well, shoot me a PM if you're interested. Take it easy.

Fizzle_Boy

Smash Ace
I just wanted to know if anyone is in the Central Ohio area that would care to get with me (and perhaps a couple friends) sometime to smash it up. I'm in the Newark/Granville/Heath area, about 30 minutes east of Columbus. We never get to smash with anyone but each other and frankly, I destroy all of my friends in both Melee and Brawl and it gets kinda boring since only a few of them beat me on occasion. That's not to say they can't get better though with some different competition. :laugh: Well, shoot me a PM if you're interested. Take it easy.
Sounds like somebody needs to get learned in the art of true smashing. According to google, I don't live anywhere near you, but if anybody's willing to show this guy whats up, please do:chuckle:

Revven

FrankerZ
Anytime anyone has a tournament or smashfest in the Cleveland area PM me and maybe we can work something out. I have a group of friends that may wanna come along and I'm sure that we'd add something to the smashfest/tourney. So, PM me or whatever if you're needing some people. Just FYI though, I can't drive.

Dizzynecro

Smash Journeyman

BYOC, of course.
I want to play melee at sinclair, assuming we are there on the same days this next quarter. Brawl can go to hell (I'll probably play it a bit if people really want to) Sorry i dont check this site often enough, see you saturday paradigm

5yphon

Smash Cadet
i Live in Akron right now and im going to school there i NEED some competition for smash i just cant seem to find a good smash player anywhere but i know there out there. If ANYONE wants to brawl hit me up on aim at ponyboypouch or skype at Ponyman69 or email me at zakp1743@yahoo.com im getting desperate this game is like crack once you do it you cant stop. Im getting so desperate im thinking of putting signs up around campus'

AKRON SMASH

masterbraz

Smash Apprentice
It seems like there is some dying interest in north east OH (akron and cleveland areas) for some brawl fests and tourneys. I say lets all put our heads together get a venue and try to set something up. Who's interested?

Xlaurousislx

Smash Apprentice
I don't exactly have plans just yet, but I know that the mall in Marion, OH would be big enough to hold about 75-100 if there were to have a tournament or whatever up here. It would basically be the halfway point of Akron and Dayton, so both you guys can come up, too ^.^

I was thinking of having an event in mid October or closer to the beginning of November. I was just wondering on who would be available/interested in sometime in that date range. PM me or find me on AIM: Static3445...either way, I would have to know in advance to put down a deposit on the place.

King~

Smash Champion
It seems like there is some dying interest in north east OH (akron and cleveland areas) for some brawl fests and tourneys. I say lets all put our heads together get a venue and try to set something up. Who's interested?
i know i am im tired of playin online.

im about 20 mins from akron(15 if i speed) and cleveland

does anybody library offer a venue or something, cause i know last year the library up here let gamestop hold a tourney.

Revven

FrankerZ
I'm interested, however, I cannot go very far out (no driving, and can't drive until my brother gets his license). There's a library close by where I live though (20 minute walk), they let people bring a gaming console to the place if you ask ahead of time. The only problem I could see with it is that it's a library, and this library is pretty strict with noise. If it gets too loud, we could be kicked out (at least, that's how it was when I was over there a few months ago). I don't know whether or not they'd let us host a tournament for money there, but, I could check sometime if you really needed me to or I could get someone who goes there often to ask about it.

No guarantee though.

King Yoshi said:
i know i am im tired of playin online.

im about 20 mins from akron(15 if i speed) and cleveland

does anybody library offer a venue or something, cause i know last year the library up here let gamestop hold a tourney.
The library close to me as I mentioned above does allow video game consoles in the building. However, you have to get a reserved spot and day for it I believe. I don't know about hosting tournaments there with money in mind but, that would be something extra to look into if anyone is interested in this. You'd have to drive to Cleveland Heights of course... and meet up with me at the library and see if we can get something set up or not. I know I have a bunch of friends who would be interested as well.

If we had to, we could go to the next best thing, make it a Smashfest instead. Dunno though, it could get very loud even if it is a Smashfest. Not only that, but, last I was there they had only two set ups. A plasma screen TV and one on a cart, I don't even know if they offer the cart one anymore. And if they don't, where it would go is where this other plug socket is. So, if anybody had to, they'd have to bring a second set up.

Yeah, so, if anyone wanted to check it out with me just let me know. I'm kind of swamped right now but, I'd be interested in helping getting a tournament somewhere in my area.

Speaking of my friends, one of them usually has a gameathon every month and has most of my friends and myself gathered at his place to play anything (Brawl, Street Fighter Third Strike, Halo 3, Melee, Smash 64, Mario Kart 64/Wii, Naruto, F-Zero, and some other stuff). We usually have two set ups, both are usually Wii but the second set up switches from Wii to PS2 to 360 while one Wii stays where it is. It's a spacious area but, the usual amount of people we have fills the space. Also, you wouldn't be able to spend the night the first time and maybe not ever depending on the amount of people there. I'll get back to you on that though.

I'm thinking of asking him if we could possibly turn it into a monthly Smashfest and maybe get a few people from here that are interested to come as well. I don't know about this yet though, I haven't asked. This is mostly a thought of mine, so if anybody were to be interested in this as well, let me know. If we couldn't do it at his place (meaning, not being able to have any of you guys at his place) perhaps we could find another place or something.

I dunno, talk to me about it when I have something to report. I'll try to ask him this weekend about it.

BananaHammock

Smash Journeyman
Smashfest tomorrow at Ashland University around 8:30pm. Lobby of Jacobs Hall. Call me at 765-506-4479 if you have any Q's. That's code for Questions...for the laypers.

Fire Blazer

Smash Cadet
I'd really like to see something start up on this weekend in the Cleveland area. I've heard of something about a tournament at Mentor, but haven't seen anything yet. It'd be really great if something could happen and we could get some brawlers together. It's unfortunate that I'm the only serious brawler I know around my area (somebody who'd be willing to drive out to a tournament...) otherwise I'd do something myself instead of just talk...

Slush

Smash Cadet
I might be hosting a brawl tourney in northeast ohio at our library. Me and my buddies live in Chesterland, Ohio and it would be at the Geauga West Library, right next to West Geauga High School. And possibly in a couple of weeks, I'll keep updating.

P.S.- not sure of the size yet, mabye 20-30

Fizzle_Boy

Smash Ace
I'd really like to see something start up on this weekend in the Cleveland area. I've heard of something about a tournament at Mentor, but haven't seen anything yet. It'd be really great if something could happen and we could get some brawlers together. It's unfortunate that I'm the only serious brawler I know around my area (somebody who'd be willing to drive out to a tournament...) otherwise I'd do something myself instead of just talk...
You should go to that smashfests in the Cleveland Common Grounds thread, Cleveland has a bit of action (although im not so sure about the SSBB scene), so you're more likey to find poeple to play against than someone who lives in Dayton, the city with the most bad smashers who think their good and the least good smashers who are actually good. Seriously, WHO ELSE LIVES HERE???:psycho:

Top Bottom