• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Ohio Thread

ALB247

Smash Apprentice
Here's an idea: let's get a few tournies going for awhile, take like 10-20% of the pot each time and set it aside then get all of said tournie holders to get together and hold a Regional, putting all the saved money together so it draws a big crowd.

We could then even take 20% of the Regionals pot from each region and put it towards the state tournie's pot.

Sliq

Smash Master
Here's an idea: let's get a few tournies going for awhile, take like 10-20% of the pot each time and set it aside then get all of said tournie holders to get together and hold a Regional, putting all the saved money together so it draws a big crowd.

We could then even take 20% of the Regionals pot from each region and put it towards the state tournie's pot.
They sort of already do this for all of the midwest. It is called the Midwest circuit. Of course, I suppose there could also be an Ohian circuit.

mathos

Smash Champion
Yea a regional championship will not work as it would compete with the Midwest Circuit. And it would be hard to coordinate a circuit while avoiding the MW circuit and other big out of state tournaments each month.

But you guys were complaining about driving 2 hours, why would you want to do a regional championship with other states.

Seriously you should come to CoKIII for some real tourny taste.

pitastic86

Smash Rookie
I like the idea of having a Ohio wide circuit. the smaller tourneys can be at people's houses or someplace large that would be free but we may have to rent out a large convention center or something when we have the state wide one in columbus. if anyone knows of a large place in columbus that would let us have tourney there for free please speak up. otherwise i suggest making the smaller tourneys take somewhere between 40-50% of the pot for the state tourney. that way we would have plenty of money for renting out a place and we could make the pot for the state one huge. Thoughts?

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
I'm considering the CoK.I've never been to one. I'm not excited about the drive, but who ever is. I don't want to ask, because I'll only be told to look on the thread I assume, but is CoK preregistration like online, or earlier they day of, on location? If I'm too noobish for a reply, could you post me a link to the thread.

mathos

Smash Champion
Well I would suggest taking a friend along, that makes the trip a lot more fun.

But registration will start at 11 and end at 12 on Saturday (the day of the tourny). However if you can't make it by 12 we may be able to squeeze you into a pool as needed. By the way, teams will be first followed by singles.

If anyone has any more questions about CoK111, please feel free to post in the CoK111 thread as it will keep it bumped. :)

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Okay thanks, depending on everyones schedules, I may be coming with anywhere from 1 to 5 other people. thanks for the info again.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Is anyone going to that tournament in Bedford this Saturday? I heard Vidjo and Drephen may make an appearance.------------------ I'm coming with at least 3 other people Phasion, is registration the day of?

CQue tHe Sunn

Smash Journeyman
i'll definately be at CoKTrois! i wont make it past the pools but im still coming furreals. i'll have some of the rest of the woo crew with me

Cia

das kwl
Myself and a few NY smash players will be in Cincinnati during the first 2 weeks of july. Are there any major smash events during this time?? Plz PM me if u have any information. i'm usually in North atlantic threads. Thankz

Sliq

Smash Master
Myself and a few NY smash players will be in Cincinnati during the first 2 weeks of july. Are there any major smash events during this time?? Plz PM me if u have any information. i'm usually in North atlantic threads. Thankz
Well, there aren't any tournaments or events occuring around this time (at least I don't think) but I'm sure we could have a smashfest or something.

Kel

Smash Master
Ummm.... Fc is in the first two weeks of July.

And definitely get a hold of Sliq or I to play whenever you guys get here.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
It breaks my heart, but I can't attend the CoKIII. I can't get off of work this saturday night, and being about a three hour drive it wouldn't work out. Are there any other big central to northeast Ohio tourneys coming any time soon?

Drephen

Smash Master
**** you mathos

anyway i just learned to line dance last night, and guess what?

im a badas$ motherfuc.ker when it comes to country music

4% APR

Smash Champion
So I missed Cok and I want to play, so anyone want to come to a smashfest sometime. I could have one pretty soon if people want.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
4%, it's getting to a time where I can do more smash-related travel, so keep me posted if anything developes. I jsut need a heads up so I can get off of work.

BlindEyE

Smash Apprentice
I figure since the forums and such have been reshuffled, now would be a good time to make this thread.

Ohio has been becoming sectionalized lately... splitting off into its own little divisions. This doesn't pose too many immediate threats, but we need to become more together as a state. With only a few exceptions, we really haven't had many tournies or whole state smashfests to speak of in a good while. We need to break out of this rut and start getting things moving... Ohio has an enormous amount of potential, but it can't be fully realized unless we spread out our skills and fight people other than the ones in our respective crews. Seriously, nobody outside of the state really thinks of Ohio as a competitive state too much. We need to work up some more reason to be noteworthy ;)

And with that said, let this thread be the main hub for all Ohio events and happenings. If nothing else, at least use this thread to let the rest of Ohio know how you're doing, and give any ideas that you might have.
This statment is true for all tournaments not just for SSBM in Ohio. I hope to see this change within the next coming months or in the next Year. Starting small here at ESCAPE we hope to branch out into a larger scale. For those who have attended our tournaments they have been nice enough to give us some insight on how to make this happen, and I looking for more insight. Like I tell everyone we don't just run a Gaming Center and Tournaments, we are gamers too an want to see the competive spirit of gaming grow in Ohio.

We are starting a effort to begin running Tournaments every month, and possibly more depending on how popular it becomes. We are setting up for our 4th Singles Tournament and 1st Doubles Tournament. As time goes on we will open up sponserships and bigger prizes for participents, also cross promotion of tournaments for other events in the Ohio area, for instance we already do cross promotions with N.O.L.G.A. and FragFestPOhio.

- BlindEyE

ESCAPE Gaming Center
470 Northfield Rd.
Bedford, Oh 44146

Phone #: 440.945.0213
E-mail: escape@escapeplay.net

balladechina212

Smash Ace
We have a LOT of people in West Virginia who are constantly looking for tournaments, including but not limited to the Huntington, Charleston, and Morgantown areas. My crew in Charleston plans to travel around for tournaments this entire summer, so keep me informed.

Kumagari

Smash Cadet
Tourneys

I was just wondering if anyone knew of any recurring tourneys (or any tourneys at all for that matter...) that are happening in the Cleveland/Lorain-ish area. I definitely need something to take up time this summer and would love it if that something was smash related... :(

Top Bottom