• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Ohio Thread

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
I just looked on GSC and the closest to Western Ohioan players are those in Cinci. Guess there's alot of closet case smash players.

mathos

Smash Champion
Who are some good West Ohio smashers?
Ohio is like a square so wouldn't western smashers include toledo and the northern part as well. Because B-Ryan and the whole Toledo are good and can compete with Cincy.

So really you're looking for southwest smashers.

mathos

Smash Champion
We have notable smashers in nearly every part of Ohio.

Northwest - B-ryan, Hood, MB-Smash and others
Northeast - Omnigamer, Pyrogamer, Vidjogamer, the Woo Crew
Southwest - Kel, Sliq, l33t, tavo
Central - CoK, Soap, Alpha Zealot

Those are the main points of tourny traveling folk.

ALB247

Smash Apprentice
If we could possibly establish some official regional areas in each area, which we would also need to decide, then local tournament organizers could all get together and discuss holding a regional tournie in their area, then we can get onto the statewide tournies. Let's start taking some action instead of throwing ideas around!

I'm sure that all of Ohio's notable players would like to get out and be known (as well as some unknowns who haven't yet begun) instead of just waiting for someone to put a big tournament together.

If we want to start competing with other big-smash states, we need to get on the ball.

ALB247

Smash Apprentice
Well I'd be happy to collaborate with others in Northeast OH to throw a regionals. I think Youngstown State University would be an ideal location. They have very cheap grand halls that can easily fit 200+ for $200 a day, however, I'm sure there are other locations as well. I just see Youngstown as being one of the major cities in NE OH.

If other tournie organizers in the immediate area could jump on here and throw some ideas out, that'd be awesome.

A league would even be possible: Set a few official tournament centers to hold a monthly tournament, record the results, then hold a big championship in Cleveland or Columbus at the end of it all.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
And since one of the issues is a relatively low amount of new faces,we would have to pick people to head up each region, and kind of get the word out there. Get new people involved.

ALB247

Smash Apprentice
Agreed.

I'm finding it especially difficult to get more and more people into my tournies each time. It just seems like the same ones are coming up, not that that's a bad thing. I've got some good regulars who I believe would do well in the tournie scene, but again, I can't really expand into anything regional if I have the same people coming to each tournament every time.

Exactly why I need other tournie organizers to get on here! May as well combine into something huge.

ALB247

Smash Apprentice
It sounds like it'll be great, but the problem is that not all of us have the time, or for some the interest of driving an hour or two to go to a tournie. Most I'd say just aren't interested, which is why we should hold some smallers ones first to give those few who aren't interested a taste of the competitive scene, then once they're hooked we can start the bigger tournies.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
I think the best course of action is to jsut talk it up with friends, get them to see how cool of an idea it is, and do it in the summer.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
What if we asked KirbyKing or Scav to mention the idea of regional tournies leading to state tournies on their 4th SmashCast? Yes, no?

mathos

Smash Champion
If people aren't willing to travel then tournaments don't work. Why should notable players come to play you if you dont' come to play them.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
More regional breakdowns would cut the travel, and since thats the main issue for everyone, it could be part of the solution. Instead of big useless divisions based on the cardinal directions, we could just divy Ohio up and into hotspots of smashers.

ALB247

Smash Apprentice
And also, I'm sure once they actually got into the tournament scene at least some would say, "Hey, there' alot of cool players out there and this is fun, I think I'll make that hour drive to do this again."

They'd say it exactly like that too.

Also, if they see that they're actually pretty good compared to other competitive players, they'd be more enthusiastic about traveling to win more tournies.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Exactly, and getting people to have that very epiphany is the main goal or the regional tournaments. Get people into the tournament scene.

Kel

Smash Master
AIM.com ...download.

If you arrange a tournament we (at least Sliq and I from Cincinnati) will come. Like that movie; "if you build it, they will come"....only instead of a baseball field it's a tournament and instead of Rosie O'Donell, We'll bring Ameer (close enough).

Take the Canal Fulton tourney over the weekend. Pretty much all of Ohio's big names, save for Mathos, went to it. Why? Because Cque wasn't a jerk and we love to smash. However, you also must understand that when you wish to attract good players you also must accept that they will win all of your money. There were supposed to be crews at CF but then COK-SOK formed and then...well...***** scurred. Hahaha

ALB247

Smash Apprentice
Well Kel, I never really did like baseball, it was too slow for me. So I'm guessing that means, uh...that the pros will be...football players?

Whatever.:ohwell: Regionals can be a splendid dream for now, I guess.

I'll be holding a rather large tournament probably within the next 2 months. Once my classes end for the semester and I get moved into my new house I'll have much more free time to plan these things. Anyone (crews, tournie organizers, players, etc.) can feel free to get in contact with me and we can make this huge. Again, once I get more details, I'll make an official thread and everything.

And I also have no problem with you guys winning all of my money...my regulars might, but they're good sports. Go ahead. Kick their *****!

BurtonCharger247. AIM me. Now.

Sliq

Smash Master
AIM.com ...download.

If you arrange a tournament we (at least Sliq and I from Cincinnati) will come. Like that movie; "if you build it, they will come"....only instead of a baseball field it's a tournament and instead of Rosie O'Donell, We'll bring Ameer (close enough).

Take the Canal Fulton tourney over the weekend. Pretty much all of Ohio's big names, save for Mathos, went to it. Why? Because Cque wasn't a jerk and we love to smash. However, you also must understand that when you wish to attract good players you also must accept that they will win all of your money. There were supposed to be crews at CF but then COK-SOK formed and then...well...***** scurred. Hahaha
The only money you'll be winning is in the losing contest, HEYOOO!

But seriously, I don't mind traveling for tournies assuming that it is either near my hometown, or it will be big enough to be worth it. I don't drive 5 hours for my health.

Demi-god

Smash Journeyman
whats soo crazy is that everybody will travel to CF and wont come to woo tournies... cmon ppl wooster is closer than CF

Hiemie

BRoomer
BRoomer
I plan on visiting you Woosterteers one of these days.

Also, what do you need to ask admin-buddy Kiki or my BRoom co-mod Scav?

4% APR

Smash Champion
That would be cool Hiemie. It would be fun to play someone with a neat-o black name.

pitastic86

Smash Rookie
Would it be better for some people to do it in Columbus instead? I know of some people who would come but im not sure how far of a drive Wooster is from Springfield. Columbus is centrally located in the state and is a great place, i just dont know where we could do it.

Top Bottom