• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Zero Suit Samus Discussion

Kunitsuna

Smash Journeyman
I think it´s interesting. Only makes SSBB more unique.

It also doesn´t necessarily spell doom for competitive Zero-Suit Samus or Samus players.

- Note that Sakurai hinted that the Zero Beam is ridiculously powerful; probably stronger than the average Final Smash. If the Zero Beam turns out to be practically a guaranteed KO if it connects, a forced transformation doesn´t seem like too high a price to pay.
- Zero Suit Samus doesn´t necessarily suck. She´s been introduced along with other very capable fighters and has been seen facing them (quite successfully) in the trailers. She´s probably a character as decent as the next.
- Her exposure in the trailers and revelation as one of the first five newcomers shown most likely indicates that she will be able to be played more often then just after using Samus´ Final Smash. You will probably be able to start off as her by holding down A while the stage loads or something to that effect. By this logic, Zero-Suit Samus will probably have a Final Smash of her own, too.
- Finally, Sakurai may implement a way for Zero-Suit Samus to become Samus again for those who desperately want their Varia Suit back. Maybe a B-move with very high charge time.

Shuma

Smash Hero
So....allow someone else to get it and own you? Someone else is going to get it if you don't, you know.
Most of the FS seem to be dodgedable(spelling?).

And maybe Z. Samus isn't that bad...

Now i can see Zelda's FS... Sheik.

TropicalTaco

Smash Journeyman
No matter how I look at it, it doesn't seem to work. If the so called, "Zero Laser" is indeed Samus's Final Smash, that would mean that she'd need a Smash Ball to do it. The Smash Ball is an item. Therefore, you'd have to have items turned on to get one, which would also mean that you'd have no way to change into ZS Samus unless the item was turned on. (Unless Samus will have a function similar to Zelda's, where you hold A at the start.)

On the other hand, however, if the Zero Laser isn't Samus's Final Smash, that would mean that she'd have access to a very powerful move (though only once per match) that she can toss out, pretty much at any given time...

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
Huh, looks like everything in the trailer was accurate after all. Better expect a Meta Knight invisibility shield then.

Can't say I'm not annoyed by it though. I've always held the idea of transforming via FS probably the worst way for tis to happen, and even after seeing the update, my view hasn't changed. The main problem is simply that if it's the only way to access ZS Samus, you're rarely going to play as her given the supposedly rarity of the Smash ball. It also makes Samus players think twice about using the FS, as they have an incredily powerful move on their hands, but then get stuck with a character they may not be able to use.

The latter seems unavoidable now, but hopefully there's a way to access ZS Samus through other means such as the A button, or maybe she's also an unlockable and you fight her after you first perform the FS.

oxyborb

Smash Ace
NNID
oxyborb
3DS FC
4124-5009-7204
obviously Samus's gun does more than just her own transformation.

as you can see she is clearly blasting DK, Link, and Pit

What? Pikachu? Kirby? Zelda????

this move is obviously the best in the game, as it makes everyone change into different characters

conphirmed

yeah i kid

Fawriel

Smash Master
^^
Ahahahaha. That was awesome.

Luke, your argument can go both ways... it depends on whether you can select Zamus or not ( which you will be able to ).
If you can't, it really does nothing but restrict the player, which would, in every respect, be a lousy decision on the part of the designer, which I just don't see happening.
If you can select her by normal means as well, well, there's your variety! All Final Smashes have a downside, here's an interesting one. Maybe she does damage to herself as well?
Whatever it is, it's certainly unique.

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
It's not so much that I dislike the idea, it's just I'm worried that this is the only way that ZS Samus will be playable. Hopefully Sakurai is smarter than that (which I have much reason to believe), in which case I kind of like the variety.

Though it is a far more significant disadvantage than what we've seen from the other FS', especially if you are stuck with ZS Samus for the rest of the match.

Edit: What the heck!!!

She drops her freaking gun? I'm sorry, but there's no way you can convince that that's a good thing.

Metroid_01

Smash Journeyman
Atlanta, GA (school yr), Miami, Fl (summer)
I think it´s interesting. Only makes SSBB more unique.

It also doesn´t necessarily spell doom for competitive Zero-Suit Samus or Samus players.

- Note that Sakurai hinted that the Zero Beam is ridiculously powerful; probably stronger than the average Final Smash. If the Zero Beam turns out to be practically a guaranteed KO if it connects, a forced transformation doesn´t seem like too high a price to pay.
- Her exposure in the trailers and revelation as one of the first five newcomers shown most likely indicates that she will be able to be played more often then just after using Samus´ Final Smash. You will probably be able to start off as her by holding down A while the stage loads or something to that effect. By this logic, Zero-Suit Samus will probably have a Final Smash of her own, too.
I dont know about everyone else, but that isnt really what bothers me. I like that I can whip out Zero Suit Samus in the middle of a match and play her, that will be awesome, but if I discover that I enjoy Zero Suit Samus more than the Varia Suit, but it takes me 3/4 a match to get it, that would suck.

I agree mostly with you saying that there must be another way to use her. She really has gotten too much exposure to just be a gimmick.

Aki-toriko

Smash Apprentice
I would find it very surprising if this is the only way ZSS can be playable. They've been promoting of ZSS as a newcomer right from the off, promoting her as a completely unique character and featuring her in a lot of the updates.
As a final smash Samus' transformation is a great idea (certainly unique), but if this is the only way for ZSS to be playable then it will just seem like a waste. But I'm sure Sakurai will know this and include her as an unlockable character.
On a related note, what the heck is ZSS's final smash going to be:confused:

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Wow, I honestly didn't think that the way the trailer presented it was how it was going to be. I thought there'd be another way. Interesting. I wonder if this means that Smash Balls will appear more often than we think??

iMichael

Smash Lord
Hmm i dont think shes going to have one as far as we know.....FS once per match and if Samus gets it well thats one and then she loses her armor and then its ZSS so that kind of sucks:urg: but look at the bright side....?.......wait there isnt one

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
Aki-toriko
On a related note, what the heck is ZSS's final smash going to be
She sucks her laser back into her gun and all of her armor flies back on.

Aki-toriko

Smash Apprentice
Theres only one way we will know for sure whether ZSS will become a character in her own right or not before the game is released...whether she gets her own character profile or not.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Edit: What the heck!!!

She drops her freaking gun? I'm sorry, but there's no way you can convince that that's a good thing.
Woah. Interesting.
There's been talk before about characters losing their guns, although I don't know what exactly triggered it.
Interesting... that might be worthy of its own thread?
Hmm i dont think shes going to have one as far as we know.....FS once per match and if Samus gets it well thats one and then she loses her armor and then its ZSS so that kind of sucks:urg: but look at the bright side....?.......wait there isnt one
Which would be true if you could not select Zamus on her own, which is not the case.
I think were all in denial.

This is tragic.
Because listening to others is out of fashion.

iMichael

Smash Lord
ok peeps i think we are looking at it all wrong...I think Samus and ZSS are seperate characters.....its just "Zero laser" is using alot of Samus's energy which is causing her armor to fall apart...no big deal...bcuz she can fight without it...IMO I think Sakurai is trying to be realistic on this one

Note:Mario Finale? shouldnt Marios gloves be black or burned off afterwards....jp jp jp jp:laugh:

tstumo

Smash Journeyman
it seems to me that Zsamus will be kinda weaker. i mean that's to be expected but i dunno. it looks like she drops her gun and sakurai on the site is like Now she’s just Zero Suit Samus. he could have just said now she's Zero suit Samus. but instead he added the word just. which makes it sound like he's belittling her somehow. like she's not threatning without her suit. i dunno it just bothers me. and the screenshot of the other characters pummling her with her own armor doesnt help either.

Diggabob

Smash Rookie
the other characters dont have a disadvantage after so smashes, so i think gameplay will change witz zero suit samus, but she wont be weak. she has many own moves like her pistol and this laser whip and was introduced like every other char so i think she will be playable as single chara and she'll as good as the normal one(or even better ^^)

Chibirobo

Smash Ace
Bummer, I wish you could just turn into Zamus like Zelda/shiek. Maybe you can,you just can't turn back after the final smash. I don't see why people are getting so pissy about this.

Fawriel

Smash Master
it seems to me that Zsamus will be kinda weaker. i mean that's to be expected but i dunno. it looks like she drops her gun and sakurai on the site is like Now she’s just Zero Suit Samus. he could have just said now she's Zero suit Samus. but instead he added the word just. which makes it sound like he's belittling her somehow. like she's not threatning without her suit. i dunno it just bothers me. and the screenshot of the other characters pummling her with her own armor doesnt help either.
Dopping her gun wouldn't have anything to do with her power. Do you think they'll just give her a gun in order to let her drop it and emphasize how weak she is? Nah. If it's anything in the first place, it's a new gameplay mechanic or so.

And don't trust the exact wording. Sakurai didn't write that, a translator did. The German site says something like "Now she walks around as Zero Suit Samus." Far more neutral, and very different from the English one. You can't know Sakurai's exact wording if you don't know Japanese.

Aaand they do seem to have disadvantages of some sort, depending on how powerful the Final Smash is.
Mario's can be evaded by going behind him, and it probably lasts quite a while, leaving him open to a fully charged attack.
Pikachu runs the risk of self-destructing.
And it's implied that Giga Bowser still takes damage although he does not budge, which lets his opponents spam him with projectiles in order to finish him off when he reverts.

GenG

Smash Lord
I always thought this was a side effect of playing with items, the wacky factor of the armor dropping when you do this move. However, you still could play as Zero Suit Samus, who isn't a "punish" character but she has quick and fast moves, two weapon modes and is overall faster than Samus. When you turn into Zamus you can't spam missiles, beams, you can use your awesome recovery, the grapple beam, you aren't that floaty, you are lighter... From a Samus player standpoint Zamus feels "weird" but actually she could be more efficient like Sheik. You lose a lot of abilities and gain others, that's the deal.

I've seen people speculating about Zamus being a very bad character to repay the damage of the Zero Laser, but I find that hard to believe. Zamus has proven she is an original character and is in the spotlight with the rest of newcomers.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Hmm, interesting...

I wonder if there is an option to become her too?

I see her fighting a lot like shiek, although I bet they make the dash attack a little less potent..

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Clearly, I think we're missing something here. Sakurai wouldn't make a character who could only be possibly played like 20% of the time or something...No, he has something in store. The question, now, is what?

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
Aki_toriko
Theres only one way we will know for sure whether ZSS will become a character in her own right or not before the game is released...whether she gets her own character profile or not.
Apparently not... She already had her own profile before the site was updated and we still don't know.

Fawriel
that might be worthy of its own thread?
No, it isn't. We don't need a new thread for everything she does.

Fawriel
Which would be true if you could not select Zamus on her own, which is not the case.
How do you know that?

Envy of War
Note:Mario Finale? shouldnt Marios gloves be black or burned off afterwards....jp jp jp jp
Yes, he becomes Zero Glove Mario.

Bark252

Smash Rookie
NNID
Bark252
I'm not to worried about this update and I'm a samus player. They both will have different move sets and I'm sure there will be a way to play as one or the other. To promote zamus so much to only have her attainable at the luck of getting a FS doesn't make any sense.

Fawriel

Smash Master
No, it isn't. We don't need a new thread for everything she does.

How do you know that?
- Well, duh. However, it's been speculated before that characters can lose their weapons, for some reason I can't recall. This might be some kinda new gameplay mechanic.

- Common sense/Sakurai is not an utter ******. You'd think the man knows how to properly design a game.

WhiteZER0

Smash Apprentice
Clearly, I think we're missing something here. Sakurai wouldn't make a character who could only be possibly played like 20% of the time or something...No, he has something in store. The question, now, is what?
This is complete speculation. For all we know, that's exactly what he plans to do. Though, what I said is also speculation. I guess we will see in the coming weeks, or once we get Brawl.

BDAOutlaw

Smash Apprentice
Yes, he becomes Zero Glove Mario.
LOL nice one......

Just playing with my samus last night and now that i see her sexy OUTRAGEOUS BEAM flying cross the screen Im not to sad about the ZSSamus Update since it doesnt conclude if shes a seperate character or not, it ONLY proves that she is accessable to the Samus users themselves. Hopefully when she dies she goes back so I can try using it when I'm at a high percentage and there at a low percentage or jus starting :)

SubparSmashBrother

Smash Ace
I'm not to worried about this update and I'm a samus player. They both will have different move sets and I'm sure there will be a way to play as one or the other. To promote zamus so much to only have her attainable at the luck of getting a FS doesn't make any sense.
It makes total sense. Why would you NOT promote something with so much...sex appeal.

Anyway, I've always thought it would be Samus' final smash. But I also think there could be a way to start as ZSS too. Maybe hold down A and B before the match starts...?

Gypsy Lee

Smash Champion
Why would you want to do that? That would take away from the realism, and you'd be switching to a crappier character. I know Sakurai isn't going to make Zamus a strong character. That just wouldn't make any sense.

f4lc0_m0nk3y

Smash Apprentice
Why would you want to do that? That would take away from the realism, and you'd be switching to a crappier character. I know Sakurai isn't going to make Zamus a strong character. That just wouldn't make any sense.

i think her speed and range will make up for
it like two of her moves are long range the
laser and the whip her being pretty fast is just
an opinion i have

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
you don't know if Zamus IS the crappier character Gypsy. don't rely on the wording on the site, the translation always ends up screwy

anyway, i really hate the idea of only turning into Zamus through a Final Smash. considering Samus is one of my secondaries, i am familiar with her style, and Zamus looks like a blast to play, so i would like to know if i can switch back, or i'm stuck with the character. if i want to use Samus' Final Smash, but i don't like Zamus, then i would have a hard decision on my hands whether to grab it or not. and if i like playing as Zamus, then i would have to wait to play as her.

hopefully something can be cleared up on the site soon

Fawriel

Smash Master
Wait wait wait wait wait.
"Realism"?

Seriously though, why wouldn't it make sense? Of course, she's weaker in a way. But that doesn't mean she can't have potential.
Think of it as Link reverting to Young Link. Link is slower and more powerful in most respects, and is mid tier. Young Link is low tier and weaker overall, but faster in mobility and more capable of using projectile tricks.

Zamus would probably be weaker, but could still be a viable character if done right.

joepinion

Smash Apprentice
The simplest, most obvious answer is most likely correct.

Before, it was fairly obvious and strongly implied that ZSS would emerge after Samus' Final Smash. Many denied this. Now it has been proven true. However, people are still, for some reason, hanging onto the hope that you can freely switch between the two or that ZSS is a separate character selection.

The simplest explanation will be proven true: You cannot switch from ZSS back to Samus, however, you can probably play a whole match with ZSS if you just hold in a button at the beginning of a match.

ZSS may or may not be a "weaker" character than Samus, but I'm sure she's still good, and not a completely broken character.

Question: Was there a quote on the original Brawl site that implied that you can only use a F.S. once a match?? I seem to recall something like this. It would fit in with the "final trump card" in the ZSS update.

alpha n00b

Smash Ace
Why does she look slightly bigger than her suit?, it's just a strange little detail to me.... or is it me?

Fawriel

Smash Master
joepinion said:
The simplest, most obvious answer is most likely correct.

Before, it was fairly obvious and strongly implied that ZSS would emerge after Samus' Final Smash. Many denied this. Now it has been proven true. However, people are still, for some reason, hanging onto the hope that you can freely switch between the two or that ZSS is a separate character selection.

The simplest explanation will be proven true: You cannot switch from ZSS back to Samus, however, you can probably play a whole match with ZSS if you just hold in a button at the beginning of a match.

ZSS may or may not be a "weaker" character than Samus, but I'm sure she's still good, and not a completely broken character.
Go go Occam's Razor!

*Power Rangers music plays*

...sorry, I just had to do that.

joepinion

Smash Apprentice
Ah, yes, thanks. "The Final Smash is a secret skill that can be performed but once."

So... Isn't this clear that it happens once per match, not once per life?

Top Bottom