• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Yoshi FAQ/Q&A Thread -- [Please look here before posting!]

D

Deleted member

No deltacodding was actually invented far before polting. I believe polting was invented after that post i PMed you.
Deltacodding was coined by the yoshi skype chat back when delta was the shiz.

Polt can u explain again how the flicking method works i dont get it :/

bigman40

Smash Master
Simple. As Yoshi is moving through the platform, you have to return the control stick back to neutral (it should have started at a downwards position).

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Actually, the control stick doesn't have to start at a downwards position at all.

Simply put, you just flick the control stick downwards as you move through the platform. You don't need to hold the control stick down. It's like doing the Yoshi Bomb Edge-Cancel, but it's a lot easier to implement since you only need to do one motion instead of syncing two.

:069:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
No deltacodding was actually invented far before polting. I believe polting was invented after that post i PMed you.
Deltacodding was coined by the yoshi skype chat back when delta was the shiz.

Polt can u explain again how the flicking method works i dont get it :/
It's k, I'll be the shiz again soon. Tournament this Saturday, and according to those I practiced with on Friday, I'm bringing it back strong. I personally think I've gotten randomly BETTER from my long *** absence. :bee:

Yikarur

Smash Master
platform canceling is too good :3
I don't know the exactly physics behind it but it's just that you platform cancel when your down input gets negated.
This happens when you C-Stick down (down input for one frame, release down on the next frame)
When you hold down and flick the C-stick in a non-down direction (down get's ignored in the frame of the c-stick)
and you platform cancel when you hold down and shield (not with Yoshi lol)
with non-Yoshi Chars you can instant platform drop by doing down + shield the frame afterwards (down have to be 2 frames before shield or earlier)

Yoshis platform cancel out of double jump is fairly easy because his momentum is so slow in the beginning :x and the upward momentum isn't that fast overall
I can't believe people still have problems with it :/
The most important thing for platform cancel, is that you have a easier time to recover on SV (double jump back + platform cancel is too good)

and why is Polt purple, that's not deserved, now he will spread his wrong Yoshi is soo good propaganda in the backroom D:

marthsword

Smash Ace
Lol, why were there more Yoshi reps applying than MK's? We flooded the application thread.

Thanks Delta, I appreciate it. Question: Any use for Yoshi Bomb Canceling?

Airborne

Smash Lord
Question: Any use for Yoshi Bomb Canceling?
I shall inform you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xpo3QuIG2fo

Mainly I try to use it when I'm attempting to follow up from hitting someone with an aerial down-b (I've gotten uair to combo into this thing a couple times...), waveland back onto the stage in order to reset and regain stage presence, and potentially edgeguard/spike the sh*t out of someone because I'm the king of fair. :cool:

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I love Bomb Cancel stuff, I should record vids of me at that stage sometime cuz I actually use that AT effectively occasionally as mind games and unexpected approaches.

marthsword

Smash Ace
Generally speaking. Not in any specific scenario. What are the ideal Yoshi stages? Neutral or CP. I play it safe and CP Picto because nobody will ban it, and I'm generally good at utilizing the stage changes. But on a general level, what are my safe options.

And what are the best ways to punish a predicted roll / spot dodge / air dodge.

Sharky

Smash Master
depends on the character, his damage, and where he is going to end up. If you think he'll roll behind you and he's at high %, for example, I'd probably punish with an f-smash, or upsmash, if you think that would kill better at your position on the stage. If they are rolling away from you grab is usually your best option, unless maybe you think you can kill with a dash attack. If they are airdodging and you're on the ground, charge a smash attack to him them out of the airdodge. If you're in the air, wait for it to end, and upair. Spotdodges, again charge a smash or grab. If the character can be chaingrabbed, then maybe a grab is a better option, especially if it has guaranteed follow-ups.

Generally FD is yoshi's best neutral, and it comes down to preference after that. Pictochat isn't a bad CP, either, but my favorite CPs personally are FD castle siege and delfino. Of course different characters call for different stages, so use your best judgement.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
Rainbow cruise has been growing on me lately. Frigate was usually my go to CP. Japes was also a back up. I think Yoshi has no bad stages. Just take the other guy to a stage you're better on.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I hate brinstar with yoshi, but other than that I completely agree with celes.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I think either SV or LC is yoshi's best. Most other stages are really good, but aren't as helpful in certain mu's while these two are good regardless of who you are against.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
I've been preaching this almost since I started playing Yoshi 2 years ago. >___>

Edit: Z'zgashi, pocket Metaknight is the only reason why that stage is bad for us.

If one character is the reason a stage is bad for us the stage isn't exactly bad for us, he's just better on it.

Brinstar would like to have a word with you.
See tbh i don't like the stage. It doesn't matter who i use or who i play against i don't like it. But i don't think its bad for us.

If you can give me some reasons as to why its bad I'll believe you but from what i can see, Automatic DoubleJump cancels, Down B cancels, Dair on the middle and side part things, easy to maneuver around on and a potential lava save if you're about to get gimped seem like pretty decent options on a stage.

Of course course we get ***** here in a few matchups (Lol MK) but that doesn't make it a bad stage for us, just makes it a better stage for them.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
My main problem with it is that the platforms and those tenden things can mess with your egg toss, and in my personal playstyle, I like at least some space too manuever and brinstar is so **** small. The angled ground also can ness with our pivots/grabs/etc., and cgs are next to useless here. Close boundaries on the side also make it slightly difficult as yoshi mostly kills off the top (aside from a good read with fsmash) which makes characters with good horizontal kill moves a pain. There are other things but they don't really effect yoshi as much as they are just annoying to me.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
In my opinion, Brinstar is both a good and bad stage for us, mostly bad atleast 75% or 80% and the Good is that we can do DJC Yoshi Bomb shenanigans and also the middle (Breakable Cyclinders i'll just call them) Help us a bit, can't remember exactly what but I think it just made us Cancel our smashes and we can directly go into tilt attacks even when all of them isn't broken.
Again as I said I can't exactly remember what it was that happened since I played Brinstar against a Wario player last Saturday.

:320:

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
So I started using down b as an actual attack, and ZOMG MOAR KILL OPTIONS!!

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
Yo Guys, need some help.

What do you guys think about the Pit V Yoshi matchup? This is important to my heart as a Wario main because I use Pit as a counter to Yoshi. Do you think it's even, Yoshi's favor, or Pit's favor, and why? If Pit is a counter, is he a straight counter, or only somewhat better? If Yoshi truly counters Pit, what in the world makes you think so? What does Pit do that makes the matchup difficult for you, and what do you think gives Pit the most trouble?

Thanks for any input :)

Edit: I'm asking this question after reading matchup exports and opinions from other members; I want a current and wholesome view from both sides.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Pit's a really obnoxious character. His attacks all have weird properties and they're unconventional to deal with. I really hate playing against him, but I don't feel like he beats Yoshi. It's most likely an even matchup.

Outside of huge screw-ups, both characters will be living for a long time. Pit's Bair isn't really effective as a reliable kill move on Yoshi, and the smashes are really only good for punishing. Likewise, Yoshi's typical kill moves, Uair and Usmash, are hard to land on Pit because of his Dair. Pit's Dair is annoying to beat head on, and Pit's WoI landing movements or whatever they're called really mess up Usmash timing. If I had to give one character the killing edge, it would be Yoshi, due to his ability to set up punishes using egg baits.

The most important part of this matchup is probably the offstage game. Yoshi doesn't really have a lot of problems recovering against Pit, and it's the same thing the other way around. However, Yoshi has more tools to add on damage when he's edgeguarding. Eggs can force a reaction offstage, like an airdodge, or dropping lower, or using the Mirror Shield. Generally, the shield or recovering low are the better options, although recovering low is very risky because it forces Pit to use WoI. Most damage in this MU will probably be dealt while edgeguarding or keeping the opponent offstage. Neither really have a problem landing or escaping juggles from the other.

It's really hard to explain the matchup. It pretty much comes down to which player is playing better at the moment, and which knows the other's options better. That pretty much rules as an even in my book.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
Thanks for your contribution, though I'm a bit iffy on your knowledge of Pit's dair, it's definitely not all it's hyped up to be, and again I'm disappointed with the lack of respect for Pit's bair, it's definitely better than people give it credit for.

Even as is, though your other thoughts are great and I appreciate it, lets me get a feel of what the current mindset is for Pit.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
For Pit VS Yoshi I never played a Pit until MLG (You Krys :awesome:)
And I'll also say 50:50

For reasons, not too sure myself. But I practiced pit alot, since I've been thinking of a secondary if I don't do very well next year (Either TL or Pit)
Bair is, as you said, more than meets the eye, Dair is okay but usually slow and when trying to use it while fastfalling results in landing lag which is terrible and I usually get punished for it against my opponent.
Apparently Pit also has something (Maybe WoI Delta mentioned?) Jump+UpB+Dair = sorta like DR... forgot which moves and what the name of the AT was called.
For the Move Yoshi would hate the most when battling pit i'd say... Uair since it can apparently beat DownB and Dair. Mostly all Pit has to do if we're above him.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Well, like I respect Bair, and I have been killed by it, but I only felt like I got hit by it when I foolishly did something, like pivot grab Pit's landing. His WoI FF trick really beats all of our landing punishes. Otherwise, I never really got sweetspotted with it.

I'm not sure on the frame data on Dair, but Cloudfox was using it well enough to beat out most of my attacks from below. I mighta been doing it wrong, though. I did play him for a good amount of hours, including a tournament set during Singles and a crew battle match.

Slush, Pit's Uair is gay, but it doesn't matter too much because we vastly outspeed him in the air, so we can get away from being above him. It's pretty stupid when he's on the ledge, though. I hate Pit's moveset so much.

2fast

Smash Journeyman
I've got a question.

I've recently been messing around with yoshi and I'm trying to master his draconic egg lay in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxNX3CV8jEA I can do everything in the video except the Forward Draconic Egg Lay retreat (it's at 1:35 in the video). I don't quite understand how to do that. I play with tap jump on (I know it's easier for yoshi's to play with tap jump off but I like my tap jump :p) and when I try to do the Egg Lay retreat I always end up doing the Reverse Draconic Egg Lay Retreat (at 1:02 in the video) or the Retreat and Hit (1:45 in the video).

Can any yoshi's help me out with this?

Yikarur

Smash Master
you don't need special controls for this.
You hit jump and then jump again while holding back, flick the stick forward, return the stick to neutral and press B.

Top Bottom