• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Yoshi FAQ/Q&A Thread -- [Please look here before posting!]

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I hate fox and wolf. Marth isn't too bad IMO but lucario is pretty bad as well

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Zig, go ICs, R.O.B., or DK against me. It's good for you. I promise. :bee:

In all seriousness, use Marth or Lucario. Don't use Fox or Wolf, though. In addition to the characters you already play as you still won't have a good character for my Sheik if you use Fox or Wolf.

:069:

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Cool, I had been leaning towards Lulu anyway.

Thanks, fellas.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
PhilNye, that one lucario main guy is moving to Utah sometime soon so imma try and get that mu down hopefully by WHOBO

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Alright, I've pretty much got DR down, but I need some help applying it. Do you guys have any tips/tricks/ideas on how to use and get better with it?

And lucario does have a nice ***.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Do you have vids as an example so I can see exactly? I think I get what your saying but I wanna be sure ya know?

Airborne

Smash Lord
Ok let's put it this way:
You are dashing towards metaknight while he is grounded (this is just hypothetical; I don't recommend doing this often. XD). You have the options of: Usmash, Dash Grab, Spotdodge, FH Nair, pivot etc.

Well, Metaknight can obviously just Shuttle Loop you to beat just about every single one of these options (all but spotdodge pretty much), but if you DR away, canceling the dash, you can bait out a whiffed SL, and thus punish accordingly.

The visual example that Scatz used to help me understand this was his friendly with Billy on Battlefield:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qzhj-k7yw-w
I believe the DRing starts somewhere in the middle of the match, but feel free to watch the whole thing! It won't be a waste.

bigman40

Smash Master
I can't believe you actually posted that vid of all ones.....

Anyways, DR is meant to keep yourself from committing as much as you would if you're dashing. It allows you to position yourself quicker since you can run and cancel the dash. You can also use it to bait reactions from certain situations. Or you can use it to pivot grab more than having to dash grab. You just need to experiment it. One person isn't able to figure out all of what DR can be applied to.

Airborne

Smash Lord
I can't believe you actually posted that vid of all ones.....

Anyways, DR is meant to keep yourself from committing as much as you would if you're dashing. It allows you to position yourself quicker since you can run and cancel the dash. You can also use it to bait reactions from certain situations. Or you can use it to pivot grab more than having to dash grab. You just need to experiment it. One person isn't able to figure out all of what DR can be applied to.
It's the vid you used as an example for me, so I thought it'd be perfectly logical to present the same example to others that was presented to me, bruh.

:216:

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Fuuu- Guess ill have to find another one, ah maaaaan...

Yikarur

Smash Master
when practicing DR I always do a lot "left dash DR, right Dash DR, left Dash DR, right Dash DR" and so on.
it's fun and I can do constantly <3

Airborne

Smash Lord
I think learning DR moonwalk and the above is important for the DRing Yoshis, due to the fact that it requires us to basically buffer a dash out of DR, and that's vital for things like DR Pivot Grab.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
I learned a new way of platform-canceling from the Snake boards.

Basically, they said that you can platform-cancel without doing a d-air by just holding down on the control stick while you jump then letting go as you pass through the platform.

While this worked, I managed to come up with a better way of doing this (which is probably well-known, but I never saw anyone else talk about it): whenever I want to platform-cancel, I just flick the control stick down. It's easy, and allows me the most freedom to perform a move.

I'm pretty consistent with it now, actually. ^_^

Airborne

Smash Lord
I learned a new way of platform-canceling from the Snake boards.

Basically, they said that you can platform-cancel without doing a d-air by just holding down on the control stick while you jump then letting go as you pass through the platform.

While this worked, I managed to come up with a better way of doing this (which is probably well-known, but I never saw anyone else talk about it): whenever I want to platform-cancel, I just flick the control stick down. It's easy, and allows me the most freedom to perform a move.

I'm pretty consistent with it now, actually. ^_^

Yes, we know.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Play Sonic? Let's see...

He's not green.
I'm not a furry.
I'm no good as Sonic (but he is fun).
He can't kill and has terrible priority.

Nope, can't think of anything. :confused:

...lol, what's with that sig, Airborne? How long has that been there? :laugh:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Again been lurking boards as an Anon from 2003-2008 being on other Not so popular Brawl forums like Rel_12 and Dualdier12 and not joining until 2009 last year so I don't have everything burned into my brain yet.

Giant Plump list of Questions on the Way Yoshee's.
What does shining mean...

fair > needle to force wakeup > dacus
Huh.. force wake up wut? DACUS I think I know... Dash Attack Cancel Up Smash? Guessing Yoshi doesn't have it as good as Wario, Sheik, Falco, Snake, etc.
Fukken ZSS Vs Yoshi How do they WURK!?
Not sure on the original name of the Yoshi techs but the list I have should hopefully help and would like to know what those names are.
Reverse Egglay: In air/ on ground (Just run in one direction and instantly turn around with Egg lay works anywhere)
Double Jump Egg Lay? (Moving in whatever direction you moved Control stick while double jumping which depends how hard you pressed it you'll get left or right and use egg lay in that direction)
Platform Cancelling: Smashville and Laylat only for me
Yoshi (Hulk) Bomb Smash? Yoshi bomb slopes immediatly do Double jump to get back on and do either Tilt moves or Smash. (Burntsocks video)
Pivot Smashing? Run one direction go other direction to use Fsmash from second direction you face, works with Dsmash too. Think also did a jab or tilt by accident during a tourney match.
Reverse Egg toss? On any platform do an egg toss but go opposite direction of platform side you get off of and throw egg still. (SliceAUT video I believe)
Probably have moar later.

:320:

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace

Huh.. force wake up wut? DACUS I think I know... Dash Attack Cancel Up Smash? Guessing Yoshi doesn't have it as good as Wario, Sheik, Falco, Snake, etc.
Im not sure what you just asked but Forced wakeup is basicly hitting someone with a move that has a jablock quality and after they get hit they automatically stand up. other that than that you didn't ask a question.

Was that a serious question?

Not sure on the original name of the Yoshi techs but the list I have should hopefully help and would like to know what those names are.
Reverse Egglay: In air/ on ground (Just run in one direction and instantly turn around with Egg lay works anywhere)
Double Jump Egg Lay? (Moving in whatever direction you moved Control stick while double jumping which depends how hard you pressed it you'll get left or right and use egg lay in that direction)
Yoshi (Hulk) Bomb Smash? Yoshi bomb slopes immediatly do Doulbe jump to get back on and do either Tilt moves or Smash. (Burntsocks video)
Pivot Smashing? Run one direction go other direction to use Fsmash from second direction you face, works with Dsmash too. Think also did a jab or tilt by accident during a tourney match.
Reverse Egg toss? On any platform do an egg toss but go opposite direction of platform side you get off of and throw egg still. (SliceAUT video I believe)
Probably have moar later.
What exactly are you asking?.....

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Was that a serious question?

What exactly are you asking?.....
For the first one, I'm serious. How do you fight ZSS with Yoshim And maybe Pit as well since i've never won a match against the only two i've played so far.
On another note we need a stage list like this or something. Couldn't quote their list for an example so post for it is good enough.
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=5995269&postcount=1

For the second one i'm asking for their original names and if there's any High quality videos presenting how some of the techs I mentioned work. (I know how they work just might as well have them in favorites to learn some other stuff that I might've missed)

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Force get up is when your character has to get of the ground normally and you don't have the option of a get up attack or rolling.

I like messing aroun with FGU as Icies cuz if you footstool > ice block it causes it :D

Sharky

Smash Master
Again been lurking boards as an Anon from 2003-2008 being on other Not so popular Brawl forums like Rel_12 and Dualdier12 and not joining until 2009 last year so I don't have everything burned into my brain yet.

Giant Plump list of Questions on the Way Yoshee's.
What does shining mean...

in brawl it's just fox and falco's reflectors, and falco's is included in melee.

Yoshi's DACUS stops him in place, it's not terrible but not very commonly used.

Yoshi (Hulk) Bomb Smash? Yoshi bomb slopes immediatly do Double jump to get back on and do either Tilt moves or Smash. (Burntsocks video)
Probably have moar later.[/COLOR]

fighting vs ZSS: pay attention to her side-b spacing, and don't go above her.

most of these don't really have official names, though the egg lay ones usually go by what you called them.

Platform cancelling also works on yoshi's island.

pivot smashing: dash pivot (insert move here) basically.

reverse egg toss: just a wavebounced egg toss immediately before running off the ledge. I love starting matches with it =P
The ground pound cancel is actually double jump + aerial to land back on the slope, and it's normally called ground pound cancel or something along those lines.

marthsword

Smash Ace
I'm actually boring myself vs MK. I mean, eggs to break their flow, pivot grab > chain grab, uair for the kill. But it ends there, that's all I've been incorporating into the matchup. I end up playing it safe every match because there isn't much room for experimentation. I'd like general tips, because I know if it feels monotonous for me, I need to switch things up a bit. Here are a couple questions.

1. When is a regular throw preferable to a grab release?
2. Which regular throws can lead into safe combos?
3. Which are my best ledge options?
4. If I switch to agressive, how can I safely tack on some damage?
5. Is it always too risky to try a fair or dair spike?

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I'm actually boring myself vs MK. I mean, eggs to break their flow, pivot grab > chain grab, uair for the kill. But it ends there, that's all I've been incorporating into the matchup. I end up playing it safe every match because there isn't much room for experimentation. I'd like general tips, because I know if it feels monotonous for me, I need to switch things up a bit. Here are a couple questions.

1. When is a regular throw preferable to a grab release?
2. Which regular throws can lead into safe combos?
3. Which are my best ledge options?
4. If I switch to agressive, how can I safely tack on some damage?
5. Is it always too risky to try a fair or dair spike?
1. If they're going to release onto a platform. Or at the edge when you can't end with Usmash or dash attack.

2. None.

3. Depends on what the MK is doing. Typically, throwing an egg or two to force a defensive reaction, then ledge drop DJAD or rising Dair. That's usually how I do it.

4. It usually requires you to bait him with your mobility, like running at him, and jumping back, then DJCELing him as he reacts. Once he's in the air, you can use an egg to set him up for punishment.

5. No, it's not. Just don't be a greedy **** like I do sometimes, and learn when to just hold the edge.

D

Deleted member

Depends on the MKs style you can either have lots of room to play around or not much.
Also stage dependant.

For example, mojoes MK was kinda shieldy and walk punishy, so i played with less eggs, more egg lay. Egg lay is a lot of fun and can make even the most boring matchups entertaining for me (:

Lee martins was like nadoey and standardish so against that kind of MK you gotta play gayer with more deltacodding, not so much aggression, etc.

Air im deeply in love with your sig lol

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Depends on the MKs style you can either have lots of room to play around or not much.
Also stage dependant.

For example, mojoes MK was kinda shieldy and walk punishy, so i played with less eggs, more egg lay. Egg lay is a lot of fun and can make even the most boring matchups entertaining for me (:

Lee martins was like nadoey and standardish so against that kind of MK you gotta play gayer with more deltacodding, not so much aggression, etc.

Air im deeply in love with your sig lol
**** yeah, I'm a verb.

I'm trying to grow out of it, though. Been messing with egglay tricksies a bit.

marthsword

Smash Ace
Sound advice, much appreciated. I'm starting to get the big picture here. Just a few more questions, on positioning or whatever.

The Approach: Let's assume I'm looking to start up a combo, and I get forced to approach. I like to use running SH dair, FF > egglay, RAR bair. MK has a lot to throw at me, so what's my safest bet?

Aerial chains: Cross out fair and dair. I'm good with egg toss juggling, mostly as an interrupter to lead into aerials. But again, with MK, the rules are changed. Does FF bair lead into uair? Nair to egg lay? My strength is in Yoshi's mobility, an lackluster airgame is suicide.

Shuttle punishing: Generally I shield a botched shuttle strike, but it's kind of a bad habit. Is the hitbox too large to space a pivot grab or DJC egg lay?

And counterpick opinions. When I'm unsure I take any CGable characters to Halberd and campable ones to Lylat, but those are more of my personal strengths than Yoshi's.

burntsocks said:
Depends on the MKs style you can either have lots of room to play around or not much. Also stage dependant.

You sir, coined coined three adjectives and a verb. Grammatical win.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Sound advice, much appreciated. I'm starting to get the big picture here. Just a few more questions, on positioning or whatever.

The Approach: Let's assume I'm looking to start up a combo, and I get forced to approach. I like to use running SH dair, FF > egglay, RAR bair. MK has a lot to throw at me, so what's my safest bet?

Aerial chains: Cross out fair and dair. I'm good with egg toss juggling, mostly as an interrupter to lead into aerials. But again, with MK, the rules are changed. Does FF bair lead into uair? Nair to egg lay? My strength is in Yoshi's mobility, an lackluster airgame is suicide.

Shuttle punishing: Generally I shield a botched shuttle strike, but it's kind of a bad habit. Is the hitbox too large to space a pivot grab or DJC egg lay?

And counterpick opinions. When I'm unsure I take any CGable characters to Halberd and campable ones to Lylat, but those are more of my personal strengths than Yoshi's.
Approaching: The best combo starter is Bair by far, which you can cancel into the ground for a tilt to pop them up. Egg lay does a good job at putting him in the air, so you can egg pressure then follow up. Sh Dair is okay as a mix up, but you can be punished pretty hard for it.

FF Bair still leads to Uair at the proper percents, and I'm pretty sure that while Nair > egg lay isn't guaranteed, it would probably work due to being unexpected. Your best bet is to stay outside his range and try to bait and punish.

I usually counterpick MK to Lylat myself. But it's all character dependent. For MK, try to stay away from stages he ***** on and focus on what we can do best (probably neutrals.) Rainbow is an interesting CP that's usable if you're really familiar with it, as we're fast enough to avoid MK. Brinstar against him is a definite no, though.

Yikarur

Smash Master
I still can't believe that people still don't know how platform canceling works and that they refer to the Snake boards for DISCOVER IT (it's known since march 08 ;___; )

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
^That was before I found out about the flicking method, though. Now it's really easy.

I just need to discover some uses for it now and see if I can freely apply them to my game.

**** yeah, I'm a verb.
I was a verb first. :p

Top Bottom