• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Official Technical Issues Q&A thread (TV's, Controllers, gamecubes, etc)

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Check this thread for information before asking for questions.

We've been having a lot of threads on more technical things that pertain to TVs, component cables, etc. Technical issues that isn't exactly about the gameplay.

Use this thread to talk, recommend, and discuss about technical related issues such as, TVs, component cables, video quality etc.

Topics pertaining to Melee texture or audio hacks don't go here btw.

So to start it off, I grabbed the latest 2 topics and dragged them here... and we lost a post I'm sorry bout that I couldn't get around it =/

Originally posted by Oakleaf:

I love Melee. I want to play it with the finest quality possible. Fine textures, crisp images, rich colors, no lag. In my quest to find the best combination of components, I got lost into this sea of technologies. Basically, you can combine any of those:

Console: Wii, GameCube (with or without digital out)​
Signal type: 480i, 480p​
Signal frequence: 50hz, 60hz​
Cables: composite, S-video, RGB, VGA, component (YUV), D-Terminal, DVI, HDMI​
Display: TV, LCD, Plasma, HDTV​

There is way too much combinations to make out of these technologies, so I need your help to get the finest quality with what I already got:

- a GameCube with a digital out connection.
- a 4:3 19" LCD that is 480p capable, with DVI-I and VGA inputs.

What I want: 480p/60hz image on my LCD.

A good solution seems to be the Nintendo GameCube Component Cable, then some adapter to DVI. The problem is that this cable seems to be very rare and I can't find it under $60 without shipping fees. At this price, I'd rather buy a Wii, and then buy a cheap Nintendo Wii Component Cable.

The solution I envision now is buying a Wii, then a Wii2VGA cable, OR a component cable, a Wii2HDMI box, and finally a HDMI->DVI cable.

What do you think about this? If you are a tech savvy smash player, I would love to hear from you.

Where to find gamecube controllers/info:

Nintendo Online Store NO LONGER BEING PRODUCED. To get a new, official controller through Nintendo, you must order from Nintendo through Amazon. (limited stock)

Play Asia

Gamecube Controller Variations thread

LLDL

Smash Hero
New substitutions for tv setups - VGA/RGB box with a computer monitor

Edit: disregard this post

Last edited:

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
I want a BIG tv...
possibly flat screen...
but it MUST NOT lag with melee. thats like my only concern...
any suggestions???

andrewtan7854

Smash Rookie
I want a BIG tv...
possibly flat screen...
but it MUST NOT lag with melee. thats like my only concern...
any suggestions???
talk to kikomeplease. i've played at his house, its a big *** hd tv or something that doesnt lag at all might not have been hd maybe just a very large lcd but it was really big and no lag, suprised me. im not sure waht kind of a tv it is, phillips i think but yea just pm him

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
oh man. panasonic viera all day. I played melee at cho's house (he's the best ganon in japan) and he has a HUGE lcd panasonic viera with a "game mode" or something that removes all lag.

and yeah, it definitely removed all lag lol, I was playing fox and falco and was hitting everything perfectly. and i'm really technical. :D

Hydro_Smasher

Smash Journeyman
Okay, so I've got this pretty decently sized LCD TV by (I can't remember the name) that has slight amount of lag to it when playing Melee on a game cube or a wii.

I was thinking of buying a VGA Box, to use on the TV, (since it has a VGA port) to play it without lag, do you think I could get a full 60fps on my TV. Any reccommended VGA boxes to use on my set up?

I was thinking of buying these

http://www.amazon.com/Multi-Input-P..._1_cc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1287180660&sr=1-1-catcorr

http://www.amazon.com/Mygica-Game-V...4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1287180660&sr=1-4

Someone give me some ideas that I can get zero lag on my LCD please.

CableCho57

Smash Lord
So I bought this thing on ebay the other day and it just came.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Gamecube-SNES-N...t=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item27b4c40306

As you know there are countless countless threads addressing lag and hd tvs and what we will do when our crt's don't work.

Why not use your computer monitor? It connects your gamecube straight to your computer monitor, through the RGB (VGA) cable slot.

The picture is good, not the clearest, but zero lag.

I tested it on all 3 of the monitors I have at my house (1 of them widescreen lcd) and they all have no lag. I tested it with the RGB on my flatscreen HD tv also, unfortunately there is like a fraction of lag, but still it reduces it by like 90% even more than component cables.

I can't confirm this works laglessly on every single computer monitor. It may very well lag on newer hd flatscreen monitors.

But this is a possibility, if we need more setups full setups could be increased exponentially if those of us who can't bring tv's bring computer monitors instead. They are small, have no big backs, easy to carry, light, just more convienent than televisions. I don't want to replace tv's, not at all - but this could be used to increase the setup count where otherwise we would've had less.

What do you think?
so is this legit? I already ordered it so hopefully it works ^^

ss118

Smash Master
Not sure if this fits here, but I want to record good quality matches to put up on youtube. What would I need to be able to do this?

And no I didn't find any good answers in the video sections.

UltimateHaxor123

Smash Apprentice
where's the cheapest place to get new (or close to new) controllers (official nintendo ones).

play-asia doesn't really have them anymore other than the white ones. The official nintendo stores only have silver (i don't like silver and i think they don't have rumble packs).

I was thinking amazon or ebay.

help?

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
where's the cheapest place to get new (or close to new) controllers (official nintendo ones).

play-asia doesn't really have them anymore other than the white ones. The official nintendo stores only have silver (i don't like silver and i think they don't have rumble packs).

I was thinking amazon or ebay.

help?
It depends. Sometimes, gamestop scores will have cheap used controllers. E-Bay/Amazon would work.

TheGoat

Smash Ace
I'm going to need a new controller soon. I see nintendo has those white ones with the longer wires, are those reliable?

Kason Birdman

Smash Champion
The computer monitor does work. I have p;ayed on them IN TOURNAMENT a few times and they didn't seem to lag at all.

edit: also, does anyone know where i can buy the official screw driver to open the GC controlers? if so can you send me the link?

edit2: 14th post looool XIV all dai

Kason Birdman

Smash Champion
you need a capture card.
i'm looking for good ones, and an easycap seems like a really good deal, but i don't wanna throw my money away on something useless...
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5707
everybody talks about how ****ty the dazzle is and how it sucks.. but I use the dazzle (not even the good one, just the regular version) and record right to windows movie maker and it uploads higher quality than a lot of other peopls videos.. the only problem is I can only seem to work it with windows XP (although I have not tried with windows 7)

Dazzle is also relatively cheap.

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
I ordered an easycap on dealextreme a week and a half ago. I'll post some test videos etc when it arrives.

Nygma

Smash Cadet
Is it seriously possible to play Smash on a HD without lag? If it is not possible than smash will slowly become a dying game no matter how you look at it. LOL. Standard TV's are a thing of the past and even now HDTV's are trying to be put out by 3D TV's.

Mind_Assassins

Smash Cadet
Alright, so I've been searching the forums to make sure this wasn't slipping or some other controller problem.

My controller is in the neutral position and works fine. Doesn't slip, so no default movement of the control stick in any direction. But when I hold the controller down or up, it has a tendency to move to the left slightly, my other controller does the same but to the right.

Is there a solution for this? Do I get a new controller, or switch the joystick?

Phoenix~Lament

Smash Ace
Hi guys I have a general controller question.

What's the best way to store your controllers when you're not using them? I usually have at least 6 controllers lying in front of my TV 24/7, it's been like this for over a year. In that year, lots of them have become faulty/defective with sticky shield buttons and loose joysticks and I was wondering if I should do something special to store them or something while they're not in use :\

Or maybe it's just natural deterioration?

tect

Smash Journeyman
I played on a Panasonic Viera a few times in a res building at my uni, it's a plasma TV, and it was easily over 40" in diameter. Anyhow, standard A/V cables were used to hook up the Cube, and there was 0ms of lag. It's true, I know that I can tell the difference. Aren't plasmas getting cheaper too? Super heavy though, so impractical for tourneys unless there are teeny ones I haven't seen yet.

_wzrd

Smash Journeyman
I have a few controllers with loose joysticks, I'd like to fix one to give away to a friend, is their anyway to tighten a joystick back up?

PS this controller hasn't had any work done on it as far as I know, & one of the screws had a phillips head LOL.

SO weird, it's the correct size & the same material as the triwings.

TheGoat

Smash Ace
Alright, so I've been searching the forums to make sure this wasn't slipping or some other controller problem.

My controller is in the neutral position and works fine. Doesn't slip, so no default movement of the control stick in any direction. But when I hold the controller down or up, it has a tendency to move to the left slightly, my other controller does the same but to the right.

Is there a solution for this? Do I get a new controller, or switch the joystick?
It seems people are having a lot of questions that have gone unanswered so far...so what the heck, I'll try to help a bit.

Mind Asassin, I'm not sure exactly how to fix that, however I recommend you take apart your controller, and play around with the joystick, like maybe take it out and set it back in. Good luck

Mind_Assassins

Smash Cadet
I've been trying this out. Not exactly the taking the joystick back out and in, because my controllers are the original indigo and indigo clear models, but messing with the joystick, and I can't tell what the problem is. I'm now thinking that it's the problem with the case but I still don't know how to fix that. Would anyone recommend cutting a more precise notch or something?

Kason Birdman

Smash Champion
anyone know where i can get the official screwdriver to open GC conchs? asked this somewhere i believe... dont think i got an answer.. **** it would help if i could remember where i posted it.

Kason Birdman

Smash Champion
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-1e-49-en-70-1fe.html

I'd go with Play-Asia. It's not the really cheap ones that are only ninety something cents, but I'm pretty sure this is the most legit you can get.
thanksro!

also.. I have a emerald green conch from japan. but the control stick sucks.. so i was going to replace it with a better one. do you guys think i should risk ruining the controller to put the new stick in so i can use the conch, orshould i just keep it as a collecters item?

Mind_Assassins

Smash Cadet
Unless the emerald green controller is like the old black controllers and new white controllers, the risk would definitely be too high.

Just keep it as a collector's item.

Mind_Assassins

Smash Cadet
Hi guys I have a general controller question.

What's the best way to store your controllers when you're not using them? I usually have at least 6 controllers lying in front of my TV 24/7, it's been like this for over a year. In that year, lots of them have become faulty/defective with sticky shield buttons and loose joysticks and I was wondering if I should do something special to store them or something while they're not in use :\

Or maybe it's just natural deterioration?
I think it's just natural deterioration. Loose joysticks just happen, and a sticky shield button is probably caused by some random trash like foodstuff or dust that got in there.

You could try taking the controllers apart and giving the casing and individual buttons a good cleaning and see if that does some good.

I have a few controllers with loose joysticks, I'd like to fix one to give away to a friend, is their anyway to tighten a joystick back up?

PS this controller hasn't had any work done on it as far as I know, & one of the screws had a phillips head LOL.

SO weird, it's the correct size & the same material as the triwings.
Uhm, I think this video can answer your question about the loose joysticks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3-aRvG9PHw

This video is about slipping controls, or drifting ones, but it should work for making the stick tighter.

anyone know where i can get the official screwdriver to open GC conchs? asked this somewhere i believe... dont think i got an answer.. **** it would help if i could remember where i posted it.
I actually forgot about DealExtreme, and so if you haven't bought it already on Play-Asia, you can try this one, which is a whole lot cheaper. Delivery time is a pain though for free shipping.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1887#open%20full%20view

rhan

Smash Hero
I suggest opening the controller up and examining it then. But I believe it may be sticky inside from some kind of outside interference. The inside portion of the outter shell may need to be cleaned.

TheDekuNut

Smash Journeyman
the outer wire ripped exposing the copper. i tried sealing it off with liquid electrical tape but that didn't last. i'm not too excited to open up my controller but if i did maybe i could pull the wire inside a little and clamp the case around it to protect the tear. any other suggestions or should i just open it up? isn't there some kind of seal that i have to break along with taking out the screws?

Mind_Assassins

Smash Cadet
Pulling the wires inside a little and clamping the case around it seems like the best option. And if you're not going to be opening the controller open again after this, apply some super glue around the opening so the wires don't get pulled out accidentally.

I don't know about a seal, but the most you would have to do is take the screws out.

TheDekuNut

Smash Journeyman
ha ha nicely worded. you need a y-screwdriver something like triwing or trigram. They don't want you opening their products so they throw this thing at you. they do this with a bunch of things like toys from burger king. you can buy one at a hardware store for like a buck. I'm gonna find one soon myself. bring your controller their so you know it will work. you might want to try amazon but i don't like ordering things off the interwebs.

Pi

Smash Hero
i just ordered a triwing online
go to your local hardware store

unless it costs you like >3$ in gas

Top Bottom