• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Official Technical Issues Q&A thread (TV's, Controllers, gamecubes, etc)

linkoninja

Smash Journeyman
My controller is missing that protection/rubber thing that protects the control stick
is there a way to get the rubber thing from another controller and transfer it to that controller?
The reason I ask this is because I know that controller well and I don't feel comfortable using another one xXD

Mind_Assassins

Smash Cadet
Other than ripping the rubber from a different controller and gluing it onto yours, I don't think there is. You could always switch the whole stick itself. Take apart the controller you're comfortable with and take off the control stick and plain swap it out. You could swap it out with another controller that still has the rubber on it or buy the individual control stick which I think they sell on play-asia.

MTKO

Smash Journeyman
My controller is missing that protection/rubber thing that protects the control stick
is there a way to get the rubber thing from another controller and transfer it to that controller?
The reason I ask this is because I know that controller well and I don't feel comfortable using another one xXD
I read a tutorial on how to use some try of liquid rubber seal stuff to create a new grip for the controller. I do not remember the name of the product, but I'm sure it's sold at stores like Lowe's and Home Depot.

MTKO

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if anyone has tried this, but I have a question.

Does anyone know if the joystick in the Wii Classic Controller is identical to the one in a Gamecube controller? I have quite a few controllers with loose/broken joysticks, and I want to remove them completely from the board, and install a new one. I don't just mean taking off the rubber/plastic joystick piece and popping on a new one, but completely replacing the stick along with the cube-like joint-mechanism-thingy.
If you have a white gamecube controller (some of the black ones also have this) you have actually pop off the plastic casing that houses the joystick mechanism and replace it that way. Don't know if that is helpful for your situation though.

Mind_Assassins

Smash Cadet
I read a tutorial on how to use some try of liquid rubber seal stuff to create a new grip for the controller. I do not remember the name of the product, but I'm sure it's sold at stores like Lowe's and Home Depot.
This is pretty cool. Would you happen to remember where you found the tutorial?

MTKO

Smash Journeyman
This is pretty cool. Would you happen to remember where you found the tutorial?
I tried looking for it but I couldn't find it, sorry. Basically you dip the analog stick into the substance and then hang it upside down for a while, so all the extra can drip off and it can dry.

NTA

Smash Lord
a question again about the newer white gc controller: on amazon here's its description.
Product Features

* Wii-compatible when playing GameCube games
* Eight-way D-pad
* Twin analog thumbsticks
* Packaging Controller is region free and works on any Wii console
* As with all imported packaging, the package will show “USE IN JAPAN ONLY.” Please note that the product is 100% compatible with all Wii Consoles
==========================================================
on play-asia i get:

* Built-in rumble
* 2 analog control sticks
* Ergonomic design
* The perfect link between player and game
* Intuitive button layout
* Cable length: 3m (about 10 ft.)
* Official Nintendo controller compatible with Nintendo Wii™ as well as Gamecube™ consoles
* New color, matching the design of the Nintendo Wii™
* Works with all Wii™ and Gamecube™ consoles sold worldwide

what im trying to figure out if its fine to use with the gamecube before i buy it. it feels like a stupid question to me seeing as how its a gamecube controller, but im being careful. but also i would like to know the feel of it and if it feels comfortable and similar to the original gc controllers

another thing would be for fixing broken analog sticks on controllers since ive seen more than 2 of those around the house. ill try searching for some tutorial in the meantime for fixing the analog stick though

MTKO

Smash Journeyman
a question again about the newer white gc controller: on amazon here's its description.
Product Features

* Wii-compatible when playing GameCube games
* Eight-way D-pad
* Twin analog thumbsticks
* Packaging Controller is region free and works on any Wii console
* As with all imported packaging, the package will show “USE IN JAPAN ONLY.” Please note that the product is 100% compatible with all Wii Consoles
on play-asia i get:

* Built-in rumble
* 2 analog control sticks
* Ergonomic design
* The perfect link between player and game
* Intuitive button layout
* Cable length: 3m (about 10 ft.)
* Official Nintendo controller compatible with Nintendo Wii™ as well as Gamecube™ consoles
* New color, matching the design of the Nintendo Wii™
* Works with all Wii™ and Gamecube™ consoles sold worldwide

what im trying to figure out if its fine to use with the gamecube before i buy it. it feels like a stupid question to me seeing as how its a gamecube controller, but im being careful. but also i would like to know the feel of it and if it feels comfortable and similar to the original gc controllers

another thing would be for fixing broken analog sticks on controllers since ive seen more than 2 of those around the house. ill try searching for some tutorial in the meantime for fixing the analog stick though
Yes, the white controller is an official nintendo controller and it works on the gamecube. I own one myself and I like it more than the other controllers. The joystick lasts much much longer because the mechanism is put together differently causing it to not wear out as fast.
All of my other controllers are in pretty bad condition.

Also I would strongly recommend purchasing one from amazon because I've heard from more than one person that they haven't received one from play-asia.

Anand

Smash Journeyman
I got one of the new white controllers from Amazon today and the analog stick is significantly harder to move up-down than left-right (it's "stiffer" in the vertical movement direction). Is this supposed to happen or should I consider returning/exchanging it?

Massive

Smash Champion
I got one of the new white controllers from Amazon today and the analog stick is significantly harder to move up-down than left-right (it's "stiffer" in the vertical movement direction). Is this supposed to happen or should I consider returning/exchanging it?
If you're used to using a set of sticks from the pre-silver release years, the joystick springs are switched from what you are used to. They rotated the stick frames 90° for the Silver and all subsequent generation controllers. This also explains why older analog sticks seem to wear out faster (the lower movement bar gets more stress from movement due to simple leverage, wearing it out faster, it was especially bad since the Up-down axis is used far more than the left-right axis in melee).

It's easier to describe visually really.
Code:
Old style analog boxes are like this:

|| 
   =||=
    ||

Newer style analog boxes are like this:

||
  ====
   ||

Where the actual stick goes in the middle and presses against the plastic bars.

Amide

Smash Lord
Okay, so my family just replaced our really small downstairs tv for a 40 inch Philips HDTV, 240 hz. It lags hard in Melee and Brawl. I know I didn't provide nearly enough information, but do any of you know of any ways to dramatically decrease lag? Much appreciated :D

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
Okay, so my family just replaced our really small downstairs tv for a 40 inch Philips HDTV, 240 hz. It lags hard in Melee and Brawl. I know I didn't provide nearly enough information, but do any of you know of any ways to dramatically decrease lag? Much appreciated :D
Attempt to look for a "game mode" or something like that within the settings, thats your best bet.

Otherwise you might have to look into one of those hd boxes or whatever people posted earlier in this thread.

MTKO

Smash Journeyman
Use component cables. I have a viewsonic 22 inch tv/monitor and I have the component cables for the gamecube. It has no lag that as far as I can tell effects the game or is noticeable to me and others at all. I'm not sure if that will clear up the problem, but it did it for me.

SSBM_or_GTFO

Smash Apprentice
I have a CRT TV and it has a "game mode". What does this affect? I always turn it off. While off, visually, it makes the screen brighter and easier to see, otherwise it's dark and is a strain to see.

Does this option add lag at all?

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
I have a CRT TV and it has a "game mode". What does this affect? I always turn it off. While off, visually, it makes the screen brighter and easier to see, otherwise it's dark and is a strain to see.

Does this option add lag at all?
On some plasmas/lcds it can remove scaling which causes the lag in the first place.

Most usually have a game mode, but each usually have a different effect. It's best to test it yourself. If you can't notice a difference then just pick whichever one you like more.

Thimo

Smash Cadet
Problem with recording on SD tvs

Hi all,

First of all, I dont know if this is the right place to ask, but here goes.
I recently got a Dazzle Dvc 100 and I wanted to record some of my matches with friends.
I first tested recording on a HD tv, that seemed to work fine.
Then I went to an SD tv, since it gives way less lag etc. But I keep getting the "no input signal found" error.
The only thing I could think of was the AV out....but there was only one AV port on that tv :/

Help?

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
Hi all,

First of all, I dont know if this is the right place to ask, but here goes.
I recently got a Dazzle Dvc 100 and I wanted to record some of my matches with friends.
I first tested recording on a HD tv, that seemed to work fine.
Then I went to an SD tv, since it gives way less lag etc. But I keep getting the "no input signal found" error.
The only thing I could think of was the AV out....but there was only one AV port on that tv :/

Help?
no input signal from your computer?

or is it your TV saying no input signal?

also what setup are you using to record, do you have the AV cables split or are you using the AV out?

Mind_Assassins

Smash Cadet
no input signal from your computer?

or is it your TV saying no input signal?

also what setup are you using to record, do you have the AV cables split or are you using the AV out?
My bad. Pinacle gave the no input error. The AV cables are split.
More information plox.

Try recording with ManyCam if your Dazzle isn't coming up on Pinnacle?

http://download.manycam.com/

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
My bad. Pinacle gave the no input error. The AV cables are split.
Well theres a real lack of info here, but instead of just saying it again ill ask a million questions

Did the recording setup change at all from HDTV -> other tv? aka: did you split the cables for both and never use the AV out for both?

Have you gone back to the HDTV and it still works?

I assume you have it setup like this:

Gamecube cable -> splitter -> one cable to comptuer and one cable to tv

If so, have you tried swapping the cable to tv between cable to computer?

Does your computer recognize that there is something plugged into it in the first place?

How is it connected to the computer? AV -> Usb or some other way?

What actual recording device are you using?

I noticed you are in the netherlands, is it correctly setup to record pal 60hz?

You can still see the game on the tv right? just not on the computer?

Have you tried turning the splitter aswell?

Have you tried other software for recording? if so, what software?

Is the tv flickering/looking funny at all compared to normal?

Thats about all the questions i can think of for now.

ES Lite

The Real Slim Shady
I just got a new, well...old, kind of...anyways
I got a used gamecube + controller at gamestop today, and the controller was fine except for the:
Z button
Y button

When you press the Z button, you have to do it a little harder than usual, it clicks down, and then it goes back to a normal Z button. Any idea what might have caused this? I already tried used that mechanical spray oil thing, it only temporary fixed it for about a minute.

When you press the Y button, same thing as above; it "clicks" in, but then proceeds to become...squishy. When you press it, theres not clicking sound, and you have to spend about 1/4 a second longer to press it to register it in the game, because your thumb has to guide the button all the way down or something. I don't know how to fix this other than opening up the controller and cleaning it or something.

Either way, I'm contemplating on either bringing back this gamecube and controller back to gamestop and asking for another one or just opening up the controller and possibly breaking some kind of warranty I have and cleaning out the controller.

Gea

Smash Master
Just open up the controller if you have a screwdriver for the job. It probably just needs a cleaning or the rubber for the buttons needs to be reseated. Unless of course you don't think the control stick/shoulder buttons/Cstick are any good. If those are also worn or feel strange it's probably easier to just take the controller to gamestop asap and say it isn't functioning properly and swap that ho out. But if the sticks feel nice it's probably more worth your while to keep the controller, they are getting slowly harder to find in decent condition.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
clean the controller. The Z button is like the simplest button on the device. Its formatted differently than all of the others. Try to rebend the metal so it doesnt push out as far..if ur confused just take it apart and u will see what I mean.

ur gonna need a new rubber pad for the buttons if one of them is mad soft.

Thimo

Smash Cadet
Well theres a real lack of info here, but instead of just saying it again ill ask a million questions

Did the recording setup change at all from HDTV -> other tv? aka: did you split the cables for both and never use the AV out for both?It did not change, and afaik they both were AV out

Have you gone back to the HDTV and it still works?Yes.

I assume you have it setup like this:

Gamecube cable -> splitter -> one cable to comptuer and one cable to tv

If so, have you tried swapping the cable to tv between cable to computer?I tried those setups, yes.

Does your computer recognize that there is something plugged into it in the first place?Yes it recognizes the dazzle, if that's what you mean

How is it connected to the computer? AV -> Usb or some other way?USb, yeah.

What actual recording device are you using?As stated above, a dazzle dvc 100

I noticed you are in the netherlands, is it correctly setup to record pal 60hz?It should be since I can record on HDtvs, right?

You can still see the game on the tv right? just not on the computer?Yep

Have you tried turning the splitter aswell?Not sure what you mean here..

Have you tried other software for recording? if so, what software?No, because I didn't have the time (was during a tournament, so yeah)

Is the tv flickering/looking funny at all compared to normal?Nope, all seems normal

Thats about all the questions i can think of for now.
I'm sorry I gave so little info earlier, I never really used the dazzle until this weekend.
Answers in bold

MTKO

Smash Journeyman
Someone was talking about replacing the joystick box on their controller, a while back, by removing it from the board and replacing it with one from a different controller. I tried it and it worked out great. I actually used the c-stick joystick box instead because I found the c stick was tight on one of my bad controllers. So if anyone was wondering if it works, it does.

CaLibUr_1337

Smash Lord
Hey guys I was wondering if anyone plays smash on a Dell Ultrasharp U2410 monitor? I wanna be able to play smash on a pc monitor and experience no input lag.

Also I need to know if I'll still be able to L cancel etc with a screen that produces between 0 - 2 frames of input lag?

Game mode – min = 0ms, max = 31ms, avg = 17.14ms
sRGB mode – min = 16ms, max = 46ms, avg = 33.96ms

So it seems if I put it on game mode I should get at the most (but not always) 2 frames of lag but usually it will be 1 frame.

Smash Lord
I'm having a ton of people tell me that I need to start watching videos to improve my gameplay. When I'm watching videos, what should I be looking for/taking from it. Tech skill is obvious, so please don't mention it.

EDIT:

I just realized I posted this in the wrong thread. I just saw the Q&A part of the thread name and just posted. I didn't think there would be two different threads. Thanks for the responses anyway.

MTKO

Smash Journeyman
I'm having a ton of people tell me that I need to start watching videos to improve my gameplay. When I'm watching videos, what should I be looking for/taking from it. Tech skill is obvious, so please don't mention it.
Try to observe how the matchup is played. Like if it's a Falco vs Marth, take note of how they play this particular match, so you can try to pick up on things that will help you out when you play it. Try to recreate some of the combos they do/ punishments they give when the other player makes a mistake. Then try to incorporate those things into your game. Obviously those aren't all the things you should look for, but that could be a start. Try to focus on only one or two aspects of gameplay at a time in the videos, so you can work on it in your own games.

Aber

Smash Journeyman
Hey so I dropped my controller and now when I use it I'm constantly light shielding....Like literally always. Resetting it does nothing theres something wrong with the L button and I can hear something rattling around in the controller when I shake it......Is it possible to simply replace components of a controller such as the L button with components from another? or is there another way to fix it? Thanks in advance

MTKO

Smash Journeyman
Hey so I dropped my controller and now when I use it I'm constantly light shielding....Like literally always. Resetting it does nothing theres something wrong with the L button and I can hear something rattling around in the controller when I shake it......Is it possible to simply replace components of a controller such as the L button with components from another? or is there another way to fix it? Thanks in advance
Yes you can open the controller with a tri-wing screwdriver (can be brought on ebay or amazon for around 3 to 7 dollars) or a flat head screwdriver small enough to fit into the screws. I would suggest opening it and seeing if a piece came lose and just put it back in place. Also check to see if one of the triggers is stuck on the inside. If a piece is broken you can just take another piece off another controller and replace it that way.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Didnt read the posts..but deal Xtreme had triwings for like 2.50 each. They also have the lil rotating top end so that it doesnt grind into your hand...and magnetized.

MTKO

Smash Journeyman
Didnt read the posts..but deal Xtreme had triwings for like 2.50 each. They also have the lil rotating top end so that it doesnt grind into your hand...and magnetized.
That's where I got mine from. I forgot how cheap they are on there. They shipped it pretty fast too for it being so cheap and from Hong Kong and all, if I remember correctly.

Top Bottom