• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Official Technical Issues Q&A thread (TV's, Controllers, gamecubes, etc)

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
u can technically solder on another stick as well.

but try cleaning the inside first. then switch the pads for the buttons on your controller.

the stick, clean and try to work the problem out, or try soft resets, hold x y and start like 6 seconds.

:phone:

40secondz

Smash Apprentice
hey guys, I just got a new controller and well its pretty stiff. I remember reading a thread about this guy trying to break in a new controller before some tournament. So do I have to "break in" this new controller? and if so, how?

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Just keep using the analog stick and C-stick normally. You basically intend to erode the plastic that houses the sticks. Of course this same act leads to loose analog sticks.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
Does anyone know if "game mode" on LCDs is any way comparable to playing on a CRT?
It can be. It purely depends on the LCD itself and how good its game mode is. They can range from being useless to being near perfect (I've yet to find an LCD that I would accept for a tournament setup).

The only way you will know the answer is to test the LCD in question yourself.

:phone:

kevlar

Smash Cadet
Hey, I'm trying to get a new controller, somewhat cheap. I don't have quite enough money to shell out on an official nintendo controller tho. Any good third party ones? I see joytech is cheap, but I don't know if they're any good.

Landry

Smash Ace
Hey, I'm trying to get a new controller, somewhat cheap. I don't have quite enough money to shell out on an official nintendo controller tho. Any good third party ones? I see joytech is cheap, but I don't know if they're any good.
The short answer is no. You really need an official one, or at least I do. I'd rather have a used Nintendo controller than a new by any 3rd party.

This is what you really want -
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-23-49-en-70-2ola.html

CableCho57

Smash Lord
you can try amazon for some used ones (much cheaper) but theyre always a gamble. My friend got one that was in great condition, used by come casual gamer so it was tooo broken into or tooo stiff/new.

I myself have bought 2 used ones on amazon and both were fail controllers (for melee at least). both times the controller stick was just too loose but i did manage to use the shells though which were in great condition so it wasnt a complete waste.

NTA

Smash Lord
Yeah I've bought one used one from there. I was planning on getting some new silver ones and maybe trying out the white one. I made the mistake of thinking I was getting a good deal a long while back for 99 cents for a controller and when I got it I noticed there was no nintendo logo and I had to press down the y button all the way for it to work...

BairJew

Smash Journeyman
Ran into a problem with amazon during the ordering of official nintendo white controller so you just gotta be kinda careful with amazon. But if its for a official white controller its worth it haha

danieljosebatista

Smash Journeyman
I have an old gamecbue controller, one that came with the original gamecube batches and is really sturdy. It's lasted so long and I'm really attached to it, the only problem is that the padding on the joystick has come off and the controller is now very rough on the thumb and hard to play with. Any suggestions on how to fix/help this? Btw, I have other controllers I can use, this one is just my favorite.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Disassemble the old controller and the new controller and swap out the thumbsticks (pop them out).

Alternatively you can use a Nunchuk/Classic Controllers' thumbstick also.

Anyone remember what post in here dealt with cleaning out trigger buttons that stick? Rolling isn't good enough in this game for that type of autopilot imho. :012:

Geenareeno

Smash Lord
So what would I need/what is it called/where do I get on for cheap. One of those things that can convert RCA (I think that's what they're called) to HDMI. Basically plugging a cube into a laptop. Thanks in advance.

Thanos828

Smash Journeyman
Is there any way to fix a C-Stick, or do you just have to get a new one and replace it?

I found a controller (from a friend) that almost seems like it was used by a Melee player (loose control stick etc., like it wasn't new but broken into) but the C-stick is broken.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Depends on what is wrong with the C-Stick. Well, I guess actually no it doesn't; more than likely you will have to replace the C-Stick if it's already malfunctioning.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
forgot about this thread for a second, posting some recent testing i made a thread for just now:

http://www.solarisjapan.com/products/XRGB%2dmini-Framemeister-Compact-Up-Scaler-Unit.html

This product is an (expensive) answer to our HD woes.

When tested with PAL melee scaling from 480i to 1080p, the unit reports 1.36ms delay.
NTSC melee scaling from 480p to 1080p reports 1.29ms delay.

When combined with a good monitor (it's been tested with a Samsung syncmaster 2494hs and a benq g2412) you're looking at less than 10ms delay total, which is dependent on monitor.

Credit to Plasia, the man who owns one of these excessively expensive units.

More figures/tests can be produced upon request, if Plasia has the resources.

Tl;dr: Spend all this money and you can have melee in HD with no noticeable lag in the slightest.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Bad. They're okay if you swap out the contact pads, buttons, and analog/C-stick rubber pads with an official controller's.

BairJew

Smash Journeyman
Anyone had the opportunity to try color modded controllers whether they feel too sticky/slick compared to the normal paint textures on an original?

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden
My Z button doesn't register anymore

I've taken it apart and tried replacing it with all my old ones and apparently I don't have any working Zs, so now i'm mad cause i need to use my friend's spare controller in the meantime, and it's not my own custom one.

Them controller johns.

Is there anything I should try or do I just need to find a whole new controller? (at least for it's parts).

Xyzz

Smash Champion
My Z button was kinda sticky some time ago, we did some serious controller cleaning; disassembling the whole thing and putting everything in an ultrasonic cleaner (apart from the outer chassis, and the electronic stuff). Has been working like a charm ever since :)

Geenareeno

Smash Lord
Did anyone buy these? (http://goo.gl/IYKSs) I'd like to hear good or bad experiences with it, thinking of buying it (but doubting because of the price)
God no don't buy those. They don't have a Nintendo logo. I have one and the analog and c stick busted within two months. But god damn does it have a godly Z button. Like holy ****, best Z button in the world. It's like clicking a mouse.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
God no don't buy those. They don't have a Nintendo logo. I have one and the analog and c stick busted within two months. But god damn does it have a godly Z button. Like holy ****, best Z button in the world. It's like clicking a mouse.
I got something like that from Amazon. :glare: I was expecting an official controller, but never will I make that mistake. (This was longgg ago tho)

I'll just get it from Nintendo.

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
Ok so I have two controllers, one blue one black... I used to use the blue one but now for some reason the analog is really messed up.

As in, if you press down immediately on the character select screen and then let go, your cursor won't immediately stop... it would glide to a stop, which made it so that every time I did a tilt, if I let go and pressed A again, it would still be a tilt and not a neutral attack... Is there any way to fix this?

I have my black one now that I use, but the L button now makes like a scraping sound when I push it down... and also doesn't spring back into place after being pressed as well as the R, which causes me to light-shield even when I am slightly touching it and pretty much always after I L-cancel...

How do I fix these?

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
Anyone had the opportunity to try color modded controllers whether they feel too sticky/slick compared to the normal paint textures on an original?
If you or the person who painted the controller uses a finisher on it then it should be fine. I have a painted controller with a finisher on it and it feels perfectly smooth.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
As in, if you press down immediately on the character select screen and then let go, your cursor won't immediately stop?
That happened to me...I messed around with the control stick and noticed that it was the input, not the stick getting stuck. So I unplugged the controller and plugged it back in and it only happened once more about a year down the road, did the same thing and it worked. You could try taking it out, maybe there's some dirt underneath the stick but for some reason the easiest possible thing worked for me.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
okay awesome i'll have to make sure I apply that thanks
It will feel a little bit thicker, but you get used to it pretty easily. You have to be really careful that you don't gunk up the holes where the buttons go. If your spray painting just make sure you spray at the proper distance and apply evenly and it should be fine.

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden
So reflecting on my whole Z button issue, I took apart that controller i'm borrowing and changed it too my liking, however the Z button doesn't work with the Platinum GCC's control pad. Only with it's natural Black control pad.

wuuuuuuut??

is my controller pad defective or something? By controller pad I mean the inside of the controller with the USB plug in and analog sticks.

DRGN

Technowizard
Probably. I've seen this happen to controllers before, where even if you short the connections (thereby bypassing the mechanical aspect of the button) it still doesn't register a button press. You can try it yourself.

So is it that you don't like the joysticks on the platinum controller? You could actually remove and replace the analog sticks (with the ones from the defunct board) if you're decent at soldering.

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden
It's mostly just a safety measure, because the black GCC pad is old and I have to reset it often. The platinum hasn't had any previous problems and both sticks are in great condition, but I guess it's Z functionality is just done now like you said.

I've got my nub of an analog stick on the black one, and the triggers & other buttons are all working accordingly, all I need is to switch the bottom plate for swag purposes :smirk:

Guess I need a new GCC though, for at least parts.. any pro color suggestions?

DRGN

Technowizard
It sounds like you have all of the parts you need. What parts do you need from a whole new controller?

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
GUYS. Should I get a silver controller or white controller?

Top Bottom