• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Official Technical Issues Q&A thread (TV's, Controllers, gamecubes, etc)

Aber

Smash Journeyman
Yes you can open the controller with a tri-wing screwdriver (can be brought on ebay or amazon for around 3 to 7 dollars) or a flat head screwdriver small enough to fit into the screws. I would suggest opening it and seeing if a piece came lose and just put it back in place. Also check to see if one of the triggers is stuck on the inside. If a piece is broken you can just take another piece off another controller and replace it that way.
Thanks.....A friend of mine has a triwing so I'll give that a try next time I see him.....Really don't want to lose this controller

crush

Smash Master
Bought the vga gamecube box listed on the first page and im still not sure wether it has lag or not on my hd monitor. I cant tell because sometimes i do imperfect waveshines anyway with fox because my controller is bad

:phone:

MTKO

Smash Journeyman
Bought the vga gamecube box listed on the first page and im still not sure wether it has lag or not on my hd monitor. I cant tell because sometimes i do imperfect waveshines anyway with fox because my controller is bad

I'm pretty sure all lcd and plasma screens lag (varies for each and depends on what it's displaying). But sometimes the lag is so minute that it's not noticeable. I have a viewsonic tv/monitor that I used to use for Halo 3 with the vga cables. It's the one they used for the MLG events that had so little lag that it wasn't even noticeable and made the image very clear. I have the component cables for my cube and use it on this TV and as far as I can tell and everyone else who plays on it, the amount of lag is so small that you can't feel or see it.

Korrupshen

Smash Ace
Woah woah....wii2hdmi
Isn't that pointless since the wii can't go no higher than 480p. If thats the case why not by the official wii component cables. Its does 480p.

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
I purchased the Wii S Video Cable yesterday and am having some issues with input quality. Normally, I use composite cables to record with. I get pretty good quality using those and recording with virtualdub as seen on my channel.

However, when using the S video cable, I end up with this nasty result.

Any idea how to fix this?

I normally split the video signal to the tv and the dazzle. I tried plugging the s video directly into the dazzle and I get the same result.

MuffDiver99019

Smash Cadet
what's the electronic part number for the 2 LR sliders on the back of the pcb?

I broke it when I was trying to figure out something and now I don't know what's the part I need to fix it

is it just a variable resister? why does it have 5 pins?

WaterlessFishie

Smash Journeyman
I believe my R button is starting to stick on me (or I'm just being lazy and letting go of it slowly), anyone know how/if I can fix this without ****ing up my controller or buying a new one?

Timic83

Smash Ace
Moorabbin/Hampton East, Melbourne, Australia
After a long day of backwards long jumping in Mario 64, it seems that about 15% of the time that I wavedash, my character is still sheilding for a second, which is very bad as I get a lot of accidental rolls. Would the best way to fix this be switching the springs from the R button (which i never use) to the L button? Or is there another likely problem.

3 months later...

after putting the spring from my l button into my r button, it stopped happening... for a while. now it happen 20% of the time when i stop a grounded needle charging, l cancel or wavedash. its seriously affecting me, what i do.

and i clened the damn controller. it even just held in light sheild for 10 seconds once without me doing anything.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
check the pads. open up the controller and there are input pads, u can see then when u press the trigger....they may be torn, just replace.

if that fails...open up the trigger boxes to see if anything is loose, I honestly don't know whats in there cuz ive never opened it....but first go to is the pads that connect with the board. either they get stuck or are old, cold, and have lost elasticity.

Rush

Smash Apprentice
Hey everyone,

so I know everyone is always looking for new official controllers, but always have a hard time finding them. Since almost local stores don't carry new ones anymore we often have to go online to find them. Unfortunately new official controllers are extremely expensive for obvious reasons. However, here are the cheapest (relatively speaking) controllers I have found on the internet.

New Official Platinum Controller from Nintendo store:
http://tinyurl.com/3hbwws6 (controller is in parts and accessories ->gamecube section)

Not much to say about this since I never bought one before. Price is around $32-37 including shipping, whether you're in Canada or USA. I've heard some people don't like the platinum ones. I'm not sure why, I think it has something with the platinum being different the the black/indigo ones. Maybe someone could elaborate?

New Official White Controller from Play-Asia
http://tinyurl.com/5we7y3

White ones are Japan only, so it must be imported. No sure of the differences other than the cord is 3m and thus around twice as long. Maybe someone who has one can elaborate on differences. I'm probably going to get one really soon. Price including shipping is around $40.

New Official Indigo top, clear bottom controller from eBay:
http://tinyurl.com/3uwqxpd

New Official Black controller from eBay:
http://tinyurl.com/3npt8va

Both of these are from the same eBay seller in the UK. Both controllers have the same price and shipping cost. I actually bought the black controller about half a year ago and I'm pretty satisfied. I paid just over $36 to get one in my hands. It came as promised: official, brand new, in wrapping and in box. Definitely recommend if you're looking for a new black controller.

I've seen a few others from other places but they are much more pricey (ie. over $50). But if anyone knows another site where they sell them for a reasonable price please share!

Thanks!

VietGeek

Smash Hero
I've heard some people don't like the platinum ones. I'm not sure why, I think it has something with the platinum being different the the black/indigo ones. Maybe someone could elaborate?
It may lie in the fact that the new Platinum controllers use a different joystick make. All the older GCN controllers that come in indigo, black, etc. have a Mitsumi brand PCB and analog sticks with metal casing outside.

Later revisions of this same "Mitsumi" controller added lubricant grease into the joysticks' moving parts to deter plastic erosion, making it so the sticks do not wear out so quickly over time. They still do though. After all, that's somewhat what it means to "break in" a controller.

"Mitsumi" controller joysticks are also much quieter. I find Platinum controller joysticks to be very noisy. Like "crab clacking" noisy. The Platinum controllers have brandless PCBs. One could take a garner that all parts of assembly of the new Platinum models occurs outside Japan.

However, while very noisy, I find Platinum controllers to be more durable, all of them have lubricants applied to the joysticks, and the sticks don't seem to wear out quickly. A friend and I bought two Platinum controllers during Brawl's initial year, and the sticks still feel new as the day we bought them. This is a good thing and a bad thing. For non-Melee games, I could say the Platinum controllers are the better investment.

However, not being able to easily break-in a controller is more or a deterrent for Melee players, unless I'm the only one that can't wavedash comfortably on a brand new controller (Melee is mean because you can be at scrub level for nearly a decade =V).

That said, I'm thinking of buying a white controller soon. However, I am reluctant to as it may be of the same make as the Platinum ones. If someone like Magus (:012:) could shed some light as to the parts of the white controller, that would be great.

Tichinde925

Smash Legend
So I bought this thing on ebay the other day and it just came.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Gamecube-SNES-N...t=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item27b4c40306

As you know there are countless countless threads addressing lag and hd tvs and what we will do when our crt's don't work.

Why not use your computer monitor? It connects your gamecube straight to your computer monitor, through the RGB (VGA) cable slot.

The picture is good, not the clearest, but zero lag.

I tested it on all 3 of the monitors I have at my house (1 of them widescreen lcd) and they all have no lag. I tested it with the RGB on my flatscreen HD tv also, unfortunately there is like a fraction of lag, but still it reduces it by like 90% even more than component cables.

I can't confirm this works laglessly on every single computer monitor. It may very well lag on newer hd flatscreen monitors.

But this is a possibility, if we need more setups full setups could be increased exponentially if those of us who can't bring tv's bring computer monitors instead. They are small, have no big backs, easy to carry, light, just more convienent than televisions. I don't want to replace tv's, not at all - but this could be used to increase the setup count where otherwise we would've had less.

What do you think?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Gamecube-SNES-N...t=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item27bc30915b

I just bought this and I can confirm that there is no lag on any of my monitors! (LCDs and CRT)

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Got a problem of my own:

My right trigger is beginning to stick on Light Shield without any input on the player's side. I've cleaned both the rubber contact and the contact point. Any tips?

I do know how to solder, but I feel as if there's something else about this issue that I'm not looking at closely.

MuffDiver99019

Smash Cadet
any one here does circuit level stuff withe the controllers?

what's the electronic part number for the 2 LR sliders on the back of the pcb?

I broke it when I was trying to figure out something and now I don't know what's the part I need to fix it

is it just a variable resister? why does it have 5 pins?

crush

Smash Master
okay so my friend gave me this really good controller but theres two problems with it

1. the wire that connects it to the cube was bitten by his brother so part of the black wiring cover thingy isnt there and the copper wire thing sticks out, so the controller doesnt work when you plug it in. will taping it or anything fix this?

2. the Z button is kinda harder to push down than my other controllers i wanna know if theres a way to fix this maybe by using a tri wing or something?

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
I do, but I'd like to have one that's more manageable to move around. Something like this would make it easier to move setups around since lcds are lighter.

Avalancer

Smash Journeyman
Is there any, ANY way to reduce lag on a (HD)TV? My friend always plays on one and I always fail when playing against him. Are there any settings to change that will fix the problem? :c

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
ugh... i keep hearing some people say it will be lagless then others saying it will be super laggy >_<

plz explain why it will be lagless? even with it being HD

WaterlessFishie

Smash Journeyman
I need help with the dazzle video recorder plus which I purchased yesterday. I have an S-Video cable plugged into my tv and into the Dazzle itself and the image on the tv is black and white and Pinnacle Studio 12 doesn't seem to recognize anything is plugged in.

I don't even know where to start.

NTA

Smash Lord
I recorded some gameplay from my PS3, GC, and N64. It looked pretty good when I rendered the videos and played them on the PS3. When I view the videos on the PC it looks like crap. I can see those line thingies. Does that come from using composite video cables? Would it be better to user S-Video? I've been planning on getting some until I get component cables and a HD PVR. Probably won't be getting that until sometime next year though. Just wondering whether or not I need the S-Video. I don't like those lines...

Does anyone have a good idea of what it would cost to get a laptop screen repaired? The replacement monitor I'm using is hardly staying alive and I can't use the one attached to this PC when I need it...

What exactly might I need to know about it to get it repaired?

Does Melee support progressive scan? I saw on one case that it didn't. But that was online and I'm not sure if it was for a certain region.

If I'm using composite cables, would it be possible to use progressive scan on an HDTV, or would I need S-Video? Most of them output in progressive scan by default I think, or maybe the more modern ones.

The case for this looks terrible and it makes me feel like my cords might snap for unknown reasons:
Nintendo Gamecube AV Audio / Video/ SVideo Cable

I also came across this one for S-Video

Monster Cable GCGL300 SV-10 GameCube S-Video A/V Cable (10 Feet)

I might consider the Monster Cable but idk...

This one also seems like a great idea but I don't have an HD recorder but I could still use it with the tv...

Triple Universal Component Cable for Wii, Playstation and Xbox 360 (connects all 3 with one set of cables)

erbanez

Smash Apprentice
Hey, I'm trying to do some slight fixes on my Gamecube controller (1st Party). Basically, I want it so that my shoulder buttons aren't so "clicky" and loud. I don't have the means to open the controller up, so if anybody can help me with any real quick fixes like clicking the button over and over again or something, it'd be easiest to Private Message me because I'll probably forget to check this thread again. Thanks in advance for the help.

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
what's good to clean the inside of the controller when you open it up? isopropyl alcohol?

also, anyone know of possible fixes for the analog input of the shoulder buttons? (ability to light shield, l cancel without pressing down fully.) If not, I guess I'll open it up and screw around. nothing to lose anyway...

CableCho57

Smash Lord
so I was wondering if anybody knows about the gamecube controller extension cords?

1. do they cause any kind of lag?
2. are all ex cords 3rd party?
3. where can I buy one?

Controllers ticking me off

Aight, so I have two gamecube controllers that each have their own issues.

The first controller works just fine with all buttons except for A and B. I have to press those buttons REALLY hard to make them function, making normal play almost impossible and very frustrating. I noticed that the part where the cord meets the plugin part seems to wiggle. Ugh.

The second controller has a weird control stick. Unless I tilt it in a specific way, it will move up and then IMMEDIATELY down for a split second. Also, the A button is stuck and whenever I get it out, it gets stuck again. I can somewhat play with this controller.

Anyways, I'm wondering if any Melee smashers are somewhat experienced in fixing these issues without money or finding someone else to physically fix my controllers. Help would be greatly appreciated.

It's hard to play Fox, Marth, and Link with a sticking A button. My only Smash alternative right now is playing the original Smash Bros on my computer at home, which has no Internet. I'll love you forever if you can teach me how to fix at least one of my controllers.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
so I was wondering if anybody knows about the gamecube controller extension cords?

1. do they cause any kind of lag?
2. are all ex cords 3rd party?
3. where can I buy one?
1) Shouldn't unless you begin to use multiple in conjunction (lag would be based on wire distance then; so realistically no)
2) Yes to my knowledge
3) Amazon, eBay, Chinese/HK import stores, etc.

1) Open up the controller and look at the rubber contact pad for the four face buttons. It's probably very dirty and/or worn out. Clean it with rubbing alcohol or replace it altogether.

2) Could be a variety of problems, including the controller PCB malfunctioning, or the stick is extremely worn out. If it's either case, nothing but a replacement can be done to rectify the problem. Open it up and personally decide yourself is the best advice I can give (other than take pics).

Top Bottom