• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Official Technical Issues Q&A thread (TV's, Controllers, gamecubes, etc)

DRGN

Technowizard
So i'm looking for a good quality capture card to record smash, and I was wondering if there is a definitive best device to record with. All the ones I have found have said it's video system is 30fps, would that mean it would only record half of all the frames in a melee match? I know it's a stupid question but some clarification would be nice.
Some people in this thread said dazzle sucks while others swear by it, while those easy caps look too cheap to work well and haupaugges (sp?) are far to expensive.
I don't think it's a stupid question. In fact, I don't even think it's common knowledge on exactly what's really going on with that stuff.

[COLLAPSE="What I mean by "what's really going on" (technical stuff)"]The video standard the US uses (NTSC) is 29.97 fps. That's not to say that the consoles are weird, that's actually what they output too. However it's kind of confusing in that those aren't really the "frames" that smashers are referring to. On CRTs, those frames at 29.97 per second are actually two neighboring frames that have each been halved and then combined with one another. To then be shown on the tv, they're then broken into two parts (each called a "field") and displayed one at a time, so you're now seeing images at around 60 per second (this is interlacing). Though I'm not sure if that's the origin of people saying that the game plays at 60 fps (I figure it could also be from what people have seen when using AR and other such tools). Probably the most accurate portrayal of what smashers are talking about when they say Melee is 60 fps would actually be what's going on inside the machine: the images created inside the console (in the GPU), before being converted for output/transmission out of the console and to the tv. Because at that point, if you were to tap into it, you should actually truly see 60 different frames being created per second. (I hope I'm not being too confusing. :p)[/COLLAPSE]

Something saying it works at 30 fps would be fine. To answer the question about recording "half the frames": uhm, technically yes, maybe. It depends on how the particular device deinterlaces your video (unless you're recording video in progressive mode, in which case there's no interlacing/deinterlacing at all). Often you'll get some form of blending, sometimes every other one is dropped instead. But either way you probably wont notice much difference, if any, between watching it on a tv. In fact, YouTube plays almost all video at 30 fps.

AFAIK Melee plays at 24 FPS and 30FPS is good anyways. Just because our eyes are able to see up to 60 FPS doesn't mean that is a 100% in which 30 FPS would be missing half of what's happening, besides, day to day your eyes only see 20 FPS or something.

Edit: It just won't be HD.
Our eyes don't see at a particular fps; it's more like a continuous feed -analog. The rate at where we perceive flicker differs from person to person a bit, and also varies depending on how much of a difference there is between frames.

Btw, do you mean that the video files in Melee are 24 fps?

I'm interested in picking up an ASUS VH236H, which is famous for being the monitor used for Evo.

As great as it will be for my MVC3 practice, it only accepts HDMI input. Is there any chance I can use it with Melee (or non HDMI consoles in general) with a small amount of lag? Is there a way to hook up my Cube? I've seen Melee played lagless on LCD monitors before.
I have an LCD rated with an 8ms response time. Melee seems fine on it. I'm inputting progressive video though (through component cables), so it doesn't have to deinterlace (or separate the video signals, though idk how much that helps), which is probably the biggest factor. The next biggest being upscaling, and the actual response time of the tv.

Also, you can get converter boxes that can convert a signal from component to VGA (standard computer monitor input). Since they're dedicated to this one thing, decent boxes are usually good quality electronics for this sort of thing (probably better than what's in a lot of tvs) and work very fast. I have this one: High Box converter. I found it at a flea market and picked it up because I thought it looked pretty useful. The guy didn't know what it was and sold it to me for 50 cents. lol :D

They also make converters that output HDMI. I Just now found this one. The picture quality wouldn't actually be a big boost over component, I don't think, but it would be good if your only other options for input are VGA or nothing. :p

Bing

Smash Master
Anyone got any tips for cleaning control sticks and stuff without taking the whole thing apart. My friend gave me a controller and its actually pretty decent, but its dirty from lack of use. I just want to tidy it up, Im thinking a wet q-tip for the sticks and the small areas lol

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Anyone got any tips for cleaning control sticks and stuff without taking the whole thing apart. My friend gave me a controller and its actually pretty decent, but its dirty from lack of use. I just want to tidy it up, Im thinking a wet q-tip for the sticks and the small areas lol
toothbrush. it works.

_eternal

Smash Apprentice
What creates the clicking effect in the shoulder buttons? I took apart an old controller today just for the heck of it but when I put it back together one of the triggers lost most of its clicking resistance. The thing is, I didn't see any physical object on the inside that would create that effect in the first place.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
Do you guys recommend using rubbing alcohol to clean a control stick's box (i.e. inside the controller), or should I just use a toothbrush or something?

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Do you guys recommend using rubbing alcohol to clean a control stick's box (i.e. inside the controller), or should I just use a toothbrush or something?
I suggest you keep it safe with a toothbrush or something. Perhaps the smallest dab of rubbing alcohol on a Q-tip might work too.

Cave Dweller

Smash Apprentice
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this or not, but I've got some video capture questions. I have a Dazzle capture card, but I just got a Mac and Pinnacle (the capture software) doesn't work on Mac.

Is there software out there that I can use on my Mac that is compatible with Dazzle, or do I need to buy a completely new recording setup?? Any help would be appreciated.

DRGN

Technowizard
How hot? It'd have to be pretty hot I think! I'd roughly guess that even something like 130˚F would be ok. Probably higher. It would probably take quite a bit to ruin the electronics. Moisture/humidity would make it much worse. As for the whole controller: the rubber (like the button pad contacts on the inside) might melt before the electronics became damaged. It's all solid-state in there besides one capacitor and a crystal.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Hey does anybody have experience with videoglide/mac?
I used to use it without any problems (from dazzle) but I recently reformated my computer and reinstalled the program.
It works fine except that now the video files aren't recognized as .MOVs (which they should be)

I already tried reinstalling/redownloading and messing around with some of the recording settings, but it still doesn't work.

Also, if there is another program I could use to record from dazzle via mac, could somebody link me to it (preferably a free program)?

Thanks in advance ^^

SypherPhoenix

Smash Lord
What creates the clicking effect in the shoulder buttons?
it's entirely in the rubber pad

Will using a N64'S RFU adapter cause lag?
on a crt, no. on an hdtv, it will probably be the same as using the regular a/v cables, but depending on how the tv handles postprocessing it could have more or less.

you can clean the exterior of the box with alcohol, but i'd never recommend using a toothbrush to clean anything on a pcb. don't try to flush out the interior of the box either; there's lubricant in there that's necessary if you want your control stick to last more than a month. try picking out the undesireables with tweezers or using compressed air.

Hey guys I was wondering if anyone could tell me if those intec attachable screens have any lag. I'm guessing they do but I'm really hoping otherwise
they have a frame or two of lag iirc, but the bigger issue is all the terrible ghosting/afterimage crap. it is difficult to play on.

Boat Mode

Smash Journeyman
Too lazy to look back to before this page, but the Nintendo store no longer carries game cube controllers. However, I just bought 3 off of playasia.

Maybe

Smash Cadet
I don't know if this is the right thread to post this but it's about controllers so I'll just shoot:
I've been using the same gamecube controller since I got it in 2002. I've cleaned it a lot and it's still working but obviously it's getting worn out. Sometimes I have to press a little harder to get my Z-button to grab. And sometimes, my C-stick is mildly unresponsive when I try to Bair, it comes out a little late. My Y-button is COMPLETELY worn out. The button is supposed to have a small click when you press it but mine doesn't have that anymore. When using a newer controller after using mine, I was missing all my techs and stuff and it was terrible.

So what I'm asking is:
1. Is there a way to repair my controller?
2. If not, would it be better to switch to a new controller?
3. Is there a way to 'break in' the new controller?

DRGN

Technowizard
The best thing to 'break in' a new controller is use. It's probably less of it being that the controller is wearing down than it is that the person is simply getting used to the new controller. And I think it's usually a short transition (maybe a little longer for you considering how worn your y button is). Being rough with the sticks or rotating them a lot to intentionally give them wear would probably do more harm than good in the long run, since it would also mean they'd just go bad sooner.

Repair is possible If you have extra controllers you don't mind salvaving. The y button is a really easy fix, but the c-stick and z button would require soldering if you were to replace them. You might be able to get away with just cleaning the electrical contacts on the c stick, but not with the z button (its contacts are enclosed in a tiny box, of which opening is easy, but permanent reassembly is troublesome).

Maybe

Smash Cadet
It seems like it would be much simpler to just use a new controller than to replace all the buttons, as I don't have any experience with completely taking apart my controller -I don't want to break it permanently by accident-..

I've been eying the white GC controller for some time now...it looks hawt.

PGH Carroll

Smash Master
whats the best way to go about fixing the wire wrapping.

both me and vudujins at the very start, near the top of our controllers. the wrapping is splitting and exposing the inside of the wire.

I can imagine this isnt very good..

I really dont wanna lose this controller. I like fox way too much

plus the spice/clear+orange LEDs is to **** to let go.

Edit: yooooo dude above my post. do people really call you maybe^
Looooooooooool

/Jwnz\

Smash Cadet
Carroll, Just hot glue(hot glue gun) the exposed area.

It's like an insulation that protects the wires, while holding the chord in place. I've done it and it works great.

The glue will not harm the electronics at all.

Y

Yodery

Are the GameCube controllers you can buy at Play-Asia any good? Ya know, the white ones? I really need to replace my current GameStop Chameleon controller, since it seriously limits my playing, (bigger L/R triggers = slow-as-**** wavedashes, and tons of missed L-cancels) and I heard the ones you can buy at Play-Asia are very good. I just want to know what you guys think of 'em. Thanks in advance!

Exeggutorr

Smash Cadet
Are the GameCube controllers you can buy at Play-Asia any good? Ya know, the white ones? I really need to replace my current GameStop Chameleon controller, since it seriously limits my playing, (bigger L/R triggers = slow-as-**** wavedashes, and tons of missed L-cancels) and I heard the ones you can buy at Play-Asia are very good. I just want to know what you guys think of 'em. Thanks in advance!
They're good, I see a lot of people at tournies using them. Unless what I'm actually seeing is a **** ton of Wii GC controllers, which i doubt.

Bad Cupboard

Smash Apprentice
I bought two from them and they both have mushy buttons. Can't stand them. I don't know if that's just because they aren't broken in very much, but it would seem that they should start out snappy and get mushy over time, right?
I much prefer my original indigo.
Might have just been bad luck, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Still though, they'll be leagues better than your gamestop brand.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I would suggest buying the white GC controllers from japan. you can find them on amazon, just make sure they're actual nintendo products. They run like $40 but they're factory fresh and you don't have to worry about searching all your local gamestops for used one. I've bought like 5 from gamestop and they're good, but you can tell the stick is used.

If you want a stiff stick (no homo) get the one from amazon.

stabbedbyanipple

Smash Master
Hey so I've had two controllers in a row that have broken in the same exact way. The first was a used black controller I got from my friend which was pretty good (until it broke obv.), and another was a used purple/clear controller that's control stick would dip a little below the neutral position on its own (probably from years of use), but was pretty aight too. Both took about a month or two to break

The way they broke was that the control stick would kind of get stuck in one position (like if I was on the menu and moved the icon left, it would keep moving left for half a second before stopping). Also, the C-stick on both would randomly not function in a certain direction. I would have to reset my controller frequently and even then the c-stick would still not work about 10-20% of the time.

MY QUESTION IS is there any way to fix this problem, because I opened both controllers and saw no obvious physical defects. MY SECOND QUESTION IS what causes this problem because, like i said, it's happened to two controllers in a row? Before these two, the only problem I've ever had was the shield button sticking, so it makes me think it might be the way I carry around my controller or something that could be making this happen recently.

v4extreme

Smash Journeyman
Not sure if it relates directly to your problem but I've had random control stick issues with controllers before, and I was usually able to fix it by just taking the controllers apart, fiddling with them/cleaning them out, and putting them back together. Just mess with it a bit.

As far as carrying controllers around, I've recently started doing this when traveling:

Wrapping the cord around the control stick before wrapping it around the center of the controller locks the control stick in place so it can't move/get knocked around.

Meneks

Smash Lord
^^Glad I found this thread.. That actually sounds like a good idea..

Can anyone tell the thread that shows how to change the melee costume colors for the characters?

Top Bottom