• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Official Technical Issues Q&A thread (TV's, Controllers, gamecubes, etc)

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
Yeah, it would. You'd get in game audio in xsplit, though. The only way you'd be able to get in game audio + commentary is using that virtual audio cable or buying yourself a sound mixer.

Theftz22

Smash Lord
Asking around, does anyone have a monster s-video cable for the cube that they would want to sell? I'd be willing to pay around $40 for something in good condition.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
incorrect toasty.

just buy 3 splitters and split the entire source (basically). then do the following if you have windows 7

right click on volume control
>recording devices
>right click empty space
>show disabled devices
>right click on sound mixer
>enable
>change xsplit settting from realtek mic to audio mixer
>disable audio playback on xsplit. (click the giant speaker button on the regular display. this just makes it so sound doesn't loop and/or you won't hear game audio in a headset)

now xsplit will capture mic AND ingame sound

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
do you have windows 7?

If you don't I don't know how to help you. If you do, it should be there

Jiffyboob

Smash Lord
Would an electronics store let me go in with a gamecube/melee and hook it up to their floor models TVs so I can test out the lag?
Has anyone done this?

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
VGBootCamp Stream Equipment Setup

Does anyone know of a way I can contact VGBootCamp to ask them questions regarding their setups, sponsors, etc.? I'm not sure if they post here on SWF or not or what their tags are but I have a load of questions for them which would probably be easier over AIM or something. I'll list the questions here though if anyone can fill me in on them:

What software do you use to stream with? xSplit, WireCast, other?
If you're using xSplit, do you have preset presentations or do you make them in the coming weeks of the tournament specifically for that tournament? Do you have xSplit Pro?
What settings do you use for xSplit? Framerate? Resolution? All the little details.
What model headsets are available to the commentators on the stream?
Are they provided by VGBootCamp or do the commentators provide them themselves?
How long has VGBootCamp been around?
Where is VGBootCamp located?
Who sponsors VGBootCamp?
What are your computer specs for the computer used for streaming?
How many USB ports(USB 3.0s too) are available on said computer?
What model capture card do you use to stream/record with?
Are commentators of major tournaments compensated in some way?
What webcam models are used for the stream? How many do you use typically?
What model switch-board do you use(not sure if switch-board is the correct term)?
When at a tournament are you connecting to the wireless or are you on a wired connection?
Is it tournament dependent or will you not participate in tournaments without a wired connection available?
What changes do you make to the stream/presentation if only a wireless connection is available?
Is there a noticeable difference in stream quality when switching between wired/wireless connections or is it same quality, but frequent lag spikes?
Do you have a set graphics position from whom you acquire the graphics for your presentations? Or are these just put together by the VGBootCamp members themselves?

dkuo

Smash Lord
holy crap are you like starting a vg streaming company or something o_O

also does anyone add lubricant to their controllers to increase control stick longevity? if so can you recommend any brands or w/e?

my last controller stopped working because of constant drift and my current one drifts very rarely but it's scary because i just became comfortable with it and i think it might be on the cusp of breaking :( :(

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
holy crap are you like starting a vg streaming company or something o_O
We're trying to put together a great melee scene in the Lower Hudson Valley region of NY. We have room for a small sized tournaments and smashfests.

VGBootCamp and ClashTournaments really set the standard high for Melee/Brawl viewer experience. I think they are our number one source for obtaining viewership and new players to the scene at the moment. We'd like to offer something similar, on a lower scale, without all the marketing/sponsors/yata yata.

I will also keep bumping my post to each new page of the technical thread until GimR accepts my FB friend request or sees my post lol.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
also does anyone add lubricant to their controllers to increase control stick longevity? if so can you recommend any brands or w/e?
i use shin-etsu g-40m

let me know if you're having a hard time finding it without losing an arm or a leg

Neontiger94

Smash Apprentice
So i've been playing brawl on my lcd tv for months and there was no noticable lag (there probably is, but i just dont recognize it) I just ordered melee recently and it should come in a week. Should I expect any worse lag or not?

:phone:

DRGN

Technowizard
So i've been playing brawl on my lcd tv for months and there was no noticable lag (there probably is, but i just dont recognize it) I just ordered melee recently and it should come in a week. Should I expect any worse lag or not?

If you're not switching over to a GameCube and staying with the Wii then there would be no difference, because the signal you're sending to the tv would be the same.

I'm guessing you're using component cables (3 separate plugs [Red, Green, and Blue] for video, plus two plugs for audio), which would allow for progressive scan display, which means little to no lag to a decent LCD. And although that was rarely ever used in GameCubes, Melee is actually able to run in progressive mode.

A lot of people end up having lag because they don't know about using progressive mode with component cables, rather than interlaced mode with composite (the common method, where you have one yellow video plug).

Neontiger94

Smash Apprentice
If you're not switching over to a GameCube and staying with the Wii then there would be no difference, because the signal you're sending to the tv would be the same.

I'm guessing you're using component cables (3 separate plugs [Red, Green, and Blue] for video, plus two plugs for audio), which would allow for progressive scan display, which means little to no lag to a decent LCD. And although that was rarely ever used in GameCubes, Melee is actually able to run in progressive mode.

A lot of people end up having lag because they don't know about using progressive mode with component cables, rather than interlaced mode with composite (the common method, where you have one yellow video plug).
using the common composite cables with my wii. I hope melee doesnt suffer more lag, or the image quality doesn't look terrible. I have played a few gc games and they seemed okay

im actually

DRGN

Technowizard
Wow, that's surprising/rare to not have lag on a flatscreen without progressive mode. Different tvs process and filter signals in different ways (for example upscaling, to make the image bigger to fit on a larger screen), so I guess yours is either doing very little processing before displaying the picture, or (assuming it's doing the same amount) is just really good at it. What is it?

Anyway, whatever you're experiencing now won't get worse with Melee. However if you're concerned about image quality you might want to pick up some wii component cables if your tv has the inputs for it. You can get 'em online for less than $5. Then put your wii into progressive mode and you should have a better looking signal.

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
Planning on replacing plug on cry

Anyone know how feasible this is or if there's anything I should know before attempting this?

DRGN

Technowizard
You mean crt (cathode ray tube)?

The power plug? It's completely feasible. Not a difficult job, either.

But first off, if you do want to open up the tv, you shouldn't do it until you've left it unpowered for a while. The tubes can store a high voltage charge for hours.

Anyway, you could open up the tv and replace the new cord to right where the old one connected to the circuit board. Or if the case is a pain to open you could just cut off a portion of the old cord (just make sure it's not too close to the case, so you have little length to work with) and splice the new one on. You can do either of these things by soldering, or if you don't know how to solder you could do the latter option and just twist the wires together. In either case, make sure you insulate the wires from each other so they don't short, and from the outside world of course (so someone can't accidentally touch them).

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
Does anyone know of a way I can contact VGBootCamp to ask them questions regarding their setups, sponsors, etc.? I'm not sure if they post here on SWF or not or what their tags are but I have a load of questions for them which would probably be easier over AIM or something. I'll list the questions here though if anyone can fill me in on them:

What software do you use to stream with? xSplit, WireCast, other?
If you're using xSplit, do you have preset presentations or do you make them in the coming weeks of the tournament specifically for that tournament? Do you have xSplit Pro?
What settings do you use for xSplit? Framerate? Resolution? All the little details.
What model headsets are available to the commentators on the stream?
Are they provided by VGBootCamp or do the commentators provide them themselves?
How long has VGBootCamp been around?
Where is VGBootCamp located?
Who sponsors VGBootCamp?
What are your computer specs for the computer used for streaming?
How many USB ports(USB 3.0s too) are available on said computer?
What model capture card do you use to stream/record with?
Are commentators of major tournaments compensated in some way?
What webcam models are used for the stream? How many do you use typically?
What model switch-board do you use(not sure if switch-board is the correct term)?
When at a tournament are you connecting to the wireless or are you on a wired connection?
Is it tournament dependent or will you not participate in tournaments without a wired connection available?
What changes do you make to the stream/presentation if only a wireless connection is available?
Is there a noticeable difference in stream quality when switching between wired/wireless connections or is it same quality, but frequent lag spikes?
Do you have a set graphics position from whom you acquire the graphics for your presentations? Or are these just put together by the VGBootCamp members themselves?
bump for GIMR justice

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
I did mean crt

I'm planning on cutting off a portion of the old and putting a new plug on it. However, I was planning on simply attaching a new plug to the wires, no soldering involved. Is there a problem with doing it this way?

DRGN

Technowizard
You mean like open up the plug part itself (I have seen some that open, but they're pretty rare) and stick the wires from the tv in there? Or splice the wire from the plug onto the wire from the tv?

IMO soldering is cleaner (and offers more physical strength for the connection). But as long as the connection is secure, simply twisting the wires together or what have you is just as functional.

daballa100

Smash Cadet
Does/would this work?

I haven't tried this since I don't own a triwing yet, but has anyone tried this and seen good results on loose control sticks? I want to know before I invest in a triwing, because if it doesn't I'll probably order a brand new controller off amazon too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym-cFRlr_hQ

Also, I've heard you can use lube for your sticks to make them last longer? How does that work?

JKJ

Smash Ace
Completely unrelated thing:
I found a 27" flatscreen Symphonic CRT on the side of the road with the remote on top of it.
It's in perfect condition, has two VGA inputs, and has no issues.
Just sayin', I'm happy.

randomguy737

Smash Rookie
Sweaty hands (and later, controllers). I'm sure I'm not the only one to have this problem. To those who have it, or have had it, how do you manage it?

I've heard Gold Bond (?) is great stuff to carry around. Any other successes with other products?

DRGN

Technowizard
Lol, JKJ, is it intentional that the inside of that shine looks like a clock? Is it "Shine Time"? Time for shines!

KrustyKurt

Smash Cadet
Sweaty hands (and later, controllers). I'm sure I'm not the only one to have this problem. To those who have it, or have had it, how do you manage it?

I've heard Gold Bond (?) is great stuff to carry around. Any other successes with other products?
I have a similar problem

I play a lot of guitar and it drives me up a wall when my hands are sweaty or worse, oily.
Same deal when I'm smashing.
If your hands are oily, pour some rubbing alcohol on them and rub it around. Works great

As for sweaty hands, gold bond could work. Climbing chalk (used by mountain climbers and power lifters) can be found in your local sport chalet for 5 bucks. Drys your hands and gives you a grip your old man would be jealous of

Top Bottom