• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Official Technical Issues Q&A thread (TV's, Controllers, gamecubes, etc)

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
Soloist is 100% spot on.
I've bought 3rd party controllers that looked 100% the same, but they sucked HARD.
It's worth the money, I ordered one yesterday.

pokemongeof

Smash Lord
Actually, i still have ONE original GC controller which i use for tourneys, these are controllers i want to keep at my house so my friends can play. I have tried the chameleon ones, AND THEY SUCK!!!!

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
Don't know if anyone has posted this

Just thought I'd share my winning combination

I recently got a Magnavox 39" from Sam's Club (same thing as Cosco). Cost just over $250 on Black Fiday.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/39-mag...lectronics&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=sku8604746S (not sure if it's the exact same model but same series)

And Wii component cables from Gamestop:

http://www.gamestop.com/wii/accessories/6-ft-component-cable-for-nintendo-wii/99828 (got them for $11.49 used)

Works great with 0 lag. And looks amazing too.

From what I hear I just got lucky with this tv, especially considering it's a cheaper model. But if anyone ha the money and is looking for an inexpensive setup, this is the way to go.

Also, I'm definitely grabbing one of those white sticks right now.

Wavedash Master

Smash Journeyman
To what extent are controller modifications allowed in tournaments generally? For example, would changing the button layout of a controller be allowed?

BSeeD

Smash Journeyman
What are your thoughts about trigger trick ?

I'm personally anti trigger trick, as it modifies the way your pad is working.
I don't use it, and even though I don't think this gives an "advantage" per se, I personally think it should be banned strictly.

Shield mechanics are the way they are, and avoiding lightshielding when not needed is part of melee gameplay and should not be made easier by a weird pre match hardware manipulation, not to mention the fact it makes PSing "easier" (this is said by trigger trick users, not by me).

If jumps were analogical, would you accept people calibrating one Jump button so they can short hop without training ? I don't think so.

Here are my thoughts about it.

We had an argument about this in french boards some months ago, and I would like to have a general opinion about this.

Edit: thinking about it it might not be the good topic for that...
-_- Sorry, If so, feel free to move my post anywhere.

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
Being consistent at short hopping is overrated. I wouldn't care if it was made easier with a button combo.

:phone:

Boxman X

Smash Ace
Look here steakhead, I didn't ask for your 2 bit
I'm not sure if you got an answer but I stream tournaments too and can answer from my experience and my knowledge of their setups
http://www.youtube.com/wwwsmash
http://www.twitch.tv/wwwsmash

Does anyone know of a way I can contact VGBootCamp to ask them questions regarding their setups, sponsors, etc.? I'm not sure if they post here on SWF or not or what their tags are but I have a load of questions for them which would probably be easier over AIM or something. I'll list the questions here though if anyone can fill me in on them:

What software do you use to stream with? xSplit, WireCast, other?

We all use xSplit, although I'm leaning towards OBS for the future

If you're using xSplit, do you have preset presentations or do you make them in the coming weeks of the tournament specifically for that tournament? Do you have xSplit Pro?

I usually make all the graphics a week before-hand but i have seen VGBC reuse overlays for their weeklies. Yes, I have an xSplit license.

What settings do you use for xSplit? Framerate? Resolution? All the little details.

I go at 3000 kbps which is overkill, you can have a decent stream at 1000kbps.
VGBootCamp uses 60 fps. CT(iirc) and I stream 1280x720 to make all the graphics and stuff look nice. Chibo might stream at 480p idk. VGBC streams at whatever their internet can handle.

What model headsets are available to the commentators on the stream?

I think it's these.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Audio-T...t-with-Dynamic-Boom-Mic-105934905-i1480127.gc

Are they provided by VGBootCamp or do the commentators provide them themselves?

Streamers provide them

How long has VGBootCamp been around?

A couple years.

Where is VGBootCamp located?

Maryland iirc

Who sponsors VGBootCamp?

What are your computer specs for the computer used for streaming?

idk about GiMR's but computer is an alienware m14x

How many USB ports(USB 3.0s too) are available on said computer?

What model capture card do you use to stream/record with?

We all use Black Magic Intensity Shuttle because it can record/stream 480p and output back a signal to a CRT TV with no lag.

Are commentators of major tournaments compensated in some way?

Depends on the tournament, probably just bit tournies if they do

What webcam models are used for the stream? How many do you use typically?

I use Logitech 525c's, looking to upgrade to 920c's
I've seen 525c's on CT stream. I use 1 for playercam and 1 for commentator cam.

What model switch-board do you use(not sure if switch-board is the correct term)?

Not sure what this means. Scoreboard? Jaxelrod's Panel Writer and Farpnut's Stream control

When at a tournament are you connecting to the wireless or are you on a wired connection?

I tend to avoid the wireless if I can, but in theory it should be fine. I just don't like the possibility of interference dropping the stream.

Is it tournament dependent or will you not participate in tournaments without a wired connection available?

As long as you can get enough upload bandwidth to stream, you usually stream.

What changes do you make to the stream/presentation if only a wireless connection is available?

Downscale the bitrate, maybe the resolution/fps. Depends on how low the upload speed is on the wireless but typically it shouldn't be too much lower than the wired to warrant a change of the stream unless it's some separate, throttled connection.

Is there a noticeable difference in stream quality when switching between wired/wireless connections or is it same quality, but frequent lag spikes?

Do you have a set graphics position from whom you acquire the graphics for your presentations? Or are these just put together by the VGBootCamp members themselves?

I think we all just do them ourselves, I can really only speak for myself tho.

Boxman X

Smash Ace
Look here steakhead, I didn't ask for your 2 bit
No problem! Please Subscribe/Follow cough*shamelessselfpromotion*cough if you like the vids lol. We do Melee too but I just never seem to get to Melee tournaments.

Would anyone be interested in a video detailing setting up a stream/hardware & programs I use/etc...?
I've been considering making one because I don't think the info is very readily available in the Smash community.

Avalancer

Smash Journeyman
I found some thumbstick replacement retailers. These suddenly started popping up on ebay, I wonder if it has to do with Apex :smirk:

Control stick + C-Stick for 7,90 euro + shipping (only to Europe and Australia) = http://bit.ly/UIHrRC
1 Control stick for 3 dollars + shipping, varies from 4 to 15+ depending where you live (shipping worldwide) = http://bit.ly/11T4D1u
10 Control sticks in bulk for 15 dollars + shipping (shipping worldwide) = http://bit.ly/WSVx11

I'm not advertising or anything, just thought these would be handy for people with torn up thumbsticks (like me)

VietGeek

Smash Hero
they're all imitations, exactly the ones used in the fake "chameleon" gc controllers

they have resistance issues against the plastic the originals don't. sucks

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
anyone have recommendations for lag-free gc-usb adapters for dolphin and the like? not sure if those exist....

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Just curious since I've been hearing some talk that netplay is getting decent. I'll probably check in those threads.

daballa100

Smash Cadet
Guys, how do you deal with wobbly control sticks? As in the control stick has a lot of give from the neutral position, so it's not as sensitive anymore? Most of my control sticks are pretty messed up from dash dancing a lot :/

Xyzz

Smash Champion
The only real solution (that I know of) is: get a new one.
You can also swap C-Sticks from other controllers (the inside part under the rubber thing that you move around) in for the analog stick, but they are slightly different, so you'd need to get used to the unusual feel of the stick.
(I ruin my sticks with excessive reverse shl fast falls from dash jumps I think :D)

PandaCobo

Smash Apprentice
I don't know if this is the right thread or of someone can point me to the right one but I'm having trouble with my dazzle skipping frames. I have tried all the tricks that YouTube has to offer and none of them really work. I can get about 30 seconds of good video then it slows down and after slowing down it comes back then slows again then speeds the video up then starts dropping about 100 frames per second. Can any help me out or just tell me what kind of set they are using.

I'm using an svideo setup my computer was 4 gb of ram.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
CPU speed and type would be interesting (you can look that up by hitting the windows key and r-key on your keyboard at the same time and type "dxdiag" in the dialog that pops up), as well as graphics card (dxdiag also tells you about that :) ).
The writing speed of your hard disc would also be relevant, if that one's kinda old, it might be the bottle neck as well.

PandaCobo

Smash Apprentice
system model: XPS M1330 ,BIOS: Phoenix ROM Bios PLUS Version 1.10 A14, Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 duo CPU T5900 @ 2.20GHz (2 CPU), Memory: 4094MB RAM, PAge File: 2119MB used, 6256MB available, DirectX Version: DirectX 11

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
Almost a 6 year old laptop. CPU is also running a bit below the recommended requirement of 2.4 Ghz. Did you recently upgrade to DirectX 11 drivers?

bearsfan092

Smash Journeyman
So I started a Smash club at my school, and my school was nice enough to give us a free CRT. However it has no A/V input, just a coaxial input (antenna/cable). I know you can circumvent this via a VCR or RF Modulator. I'm gonna go with the RF Modulator. I know this will introduce a slight degradation in picture, but that shouldn't affect anything. My question is if it introduces any significant input lag. My gut feeling says no because it's just tying analog waveforms together, but maybe someone with a bit more expertise can prove me wrong.

K@$h

Smash Cadet
Quick question for you guys. My friends and have some pretty old Nintendo controllers, and sometimes some of the c-stick input and shield inputs don't register all the time. Any advice for maybe fixing them? or should we just buy brand new ones?

Kramwood

Smash Cadet
If you don't really know how to replace controller part or don't know any one that can then it would probably be more economical for you to just buy new controllers as apposed to buying the parts and then breaking your controller and then having to buy a new one. You could always try looking at tutorials. I've seen a couple a while back on youtube, but other than that I haven't really looked.

If you are referring to l/r as the shield input then those are a little bit easier to replace. I'm not too sure about the joysticks though. You'll have to do some searching (probably online) for the parts you need though.

Kadano

Magical Express
Wow, many people with controller issues here. Well, I've made a thread about fixing stickboxes, but it's on the German Smash Boards: http://forum.germansmash.de/showthread.php?20066
I can translate it if you want. I hope my English doesn't suck too much so it will still be understandable.
I thought there would be a similar thread here on SWF already. I couldn't find it, but I figured that was due to the buggy new search. All I could find are these two threads:
http://www.smashboards.com/threads/guide-how-to-have-a-perfect-controller-forever.263450/
http://www.smashboards.com/threads/mini-guide-to-transferring-control-stick-boxes.271694/

The first one explains how to fix wobbly controllers, but only applies for one of three stickbox versions (in my thread, version 3) that is always found in new white, most of the time / always in platinum, sometimes in black and rarely in purple controllers. I also believe that after long use the plastic rails will thin out even in this potentiometer design, though probably not as fast as in the other designs.

The second one explains how to transfer version 3 stickboxes between different controllers and between control stick and c stick.

My thread explains how to fix version 1 (only partially), version 2 and version 3 by either inserting plastic foil pieces (not recommended) or re-thickening the plastic rails with epoxy; and how to transfer stickboxes between design 1 and 2 or between design 3.

I just don't want to make the translation effort and then find out that such a thread already exists here. So please just tell me if you know of the existence of such a guide here.

@bearsfan092: I think getting another CRT will be cheaper than buying an RF modulator, plus provide a better picture. Look in your local listings; in many cities there are tons of people who are giving away their working CRTs for free.

@daballa100: It is possible, but if you are unlucky and have the worst of the three stickbox designs, you can only fix one axis. In any case you will need a triwing screwdriver for opening up the controller: http://dx.com/p/large-triwing-trigram-screw-driver-6154

@K@$h: It might be just because of dirt which can be easily fixed. Buy a triwing screwdriver, open your controller and look inside. Controllers are pretty easy to understand, at least as long as you stay on the hardware side.

NightShadow6

Smash Journeyman
I have an RCA Truflat with the Front panel lock on it enabled without a remote. Is there anyway to get it to restart? I've tried letting it sit there unplugged, is there anything I can do?

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
Anyone know why my stream might not be appearing on the sidebar? We've been streaming for roughly 2 hours, and it has not appeared yet.

bearsfan092

Smash Journeyman
I didn't watch, but I assume you set the current game to Melee? The sidebar plugins generally won't put you on without the correct game set.

Also the sidebar plugins sometime screw up. I'm a part of another website that uses the same plugin, and it sometimes just flat out fails.

Svvagcube

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, there used to be a thread/list of flatscreens with low or even without Lag.

Does anyone know where I can find it?

dudutsai

Smash Lord
My controller has a problem. After flicking the control stick in a direction the stick will snap back to normal like it's supposed to.

The problem is after the stick snaps back to the normal position, the cursor will still have a phantom input that lingers for up to 2 seconds. For example when I fast fall an aerial my character will occasionally automatically crouch.

I took apart the controller but there doesn't seem to be anything visibly wrong with the insides. Anyone know of a way to fix this, or do I have to buy another new controller? This controller was less than a year old.

Top Bottom