• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official South Carolina Thread

0megaZer0

Smash Lord
DKCR is incredible. Even without the Kremlings.

Trust me Austin, I'm a retro gamer purist, but the new villains aren't so bad.
I miss the kremlings too, but Crio is right, it's mad fun even without them IMO

Why did Nintendo decide to not make a good online service. After years of watching two other Consoles try it, you would think they could at least 1up them. >_>

Steelia

Smash Champion
Lol
Haven't been playing Melee much. Been too busy with school, and continuing some work on textures. Thank you SD Media, was about to junk it before it finally hit me how to use it. XD

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
lol I forgot he was on my ignore list raaaaaaaaaaaape judging by the responses, probably saying something of the butthurt variety and a herpaderpa bill cosby face

but Melee in SC has always been dead. but zombies can play melee, too, you know? and we're okay at it. just okay.

Steelia we really need to play and, I dunno, I can watch you texture hack. I'm sure it's exciting.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
do you still play rog? I relised hes a *** and dropped him completly. Im currently tryin to learn viper. FFF is ****in hard to do in match.

scha-k-47

Smash Journeyman
Greenville, SC (summer) West Chester, PA (school)
I still main Rog, I am trying to pick up a few new characters before AE drops because I am not sure how I am going to like the nerfs. I have been learning quite a lot about Dudley as of late and he is looking promising. As for Viper, she doesn't suit my style and is way too technical for me.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Yeah, dudley got some good buffs. EX dash, more active frames on th sweep, and a faster towards mp (which was already good as hell for pressure.). Cody and Viper got absolutly nothing from what ive seen.

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
Hey, im going down to s.c for the holidays hoping to get to play some people brawl or melee. Ill be in lexington for about a month. Any tournaments going on from dec20-jan 15th?

Charlie G

Smash Journeyman
>tournaments

>south carolina

ah, sorry you've picked the wrong state, there hasn't been a tournament here for the last six months :/

coolklm121

Smash Cadet
save this talk of super downback fighter 4 for srk. melee will never die.
hasn't anyone seen v for vendetta?

MusicalMike

Needs to try harder
Slippi.gg
MUSI#321
I still main Rog, I am trying to pick up a few new characters before AE drops because I am not sure how I am going to like the nerfs. I have been learning quite a lot about Dudley as of late and he is looking promising. As for Viper, she doesn't suit my style and is way too technical for me.
Welcome back to SC man. As usual I've dropped off of the face of the earth...just been doing so much stuff irl that I haven't had a moment's notice to get involved with this game, sucks hard...

0megaZer0

Smash Lord
I'm going to make an attempt to put a smashfest together, I don't want this holiday to be a waste.

So be on the look out for that -- besides that, SC doesn't have tournaments because no one cares >_> (enough)

I will try and make your event Snap, I really don't want to miss that ****!!

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
It's not that nobody cares, Omega, it's that caring is pointless. There's never enough people and if there are they are too spread out and too poor to travel anywhere.

On a Charleston related note I played with my dudes again down here. They seem pretty enthusiastic about getting better, which is a step in the right direction for anyone. Gotta work on those fundamentals and precision/accuracy (lol)

Lareit

Smash Ace
I'd rather have 5 solid people who play regularly than 40 ****heads like you who moan about a lack of a scene yet do nothing to try and change it. "But, but, we tried and failed in the past, wahhhhhh"

Seriously bro, just leave. You are not wanted.
5 people isn't a scene. I could get 5 people to play some brawl this evening with a couple of phone calls.

You acted like you had something going. Your own testament disproves that. So much for your credence of melee's astounding activity in SC.

As for moaning about a lack of scene, I have no interest in Smash anymore. Bo occasionally tells me whats going on and Devin wanted to try and get back into it so I decided to poke my head in here and found quite amusingly how the scene remains nonexistent.

As for not trying to do something to change it? I was a primary force keeping the Brawl scene going when Crio ran it out of Gamer's Edge. I was the primary force when I hosted it after we transitioned out of GE. I even supported Devin when he hosted it. I finally, albeit loosely, supported Omega when he hosted it before it finally died. Two years of being involved.

Lastly. I'm not your bro.

Spank That Dill

Smash Journeyman
At no point did I say that we ever had anything "astounding" going on. Having five people playing regularly that are genuinely trying to better themselves is decent activity in comparison to how dead this state is, and you know this.

You hosted for two years? Awesome. Why not ever try to get those people that you used to play with together again? I wasn't around for Gamer's Edge, but certainly there are still people from then that still want to play.

Maybe I'm just living in some pipe dream where we can actually have things going on in this state more regularly. And I apologize for being an ignorant douche, negative attitudes are never going to help anything.

Lareit

Smash Ace
At no point did I say that we ever had anything "astounding" going on. Having five people playing regularly that are genuinely trying to better themselves is decent activity in comparison to how dead this state is, and you know this.

You hosted for two years? Awesome. Why not ever try to get those people that you used to play with together again? I wasn't around for Gamer's Edge, but certainly there are still people from then that still want to play.

Maybe I'm just living in some pipe dream where we can actually have things going on in this state more regularly. And I apologize for being an ignorant douche, negative attitudes are never going to help anything.
I apologize as well.

I didn't host for two years. I hosted many times and I was always supportive of the hosts that come along.

And I suppose you'd have to know me like Snap,Crio and Omega to understand my comment initial while hostile wasn't really directed at anyone and more an admission of this state and it's inability to allow a real community to thrive.

scha-k-47

Smash Journeyman
Greenville, SC (summer) West Chester, PA (school)
Speaking as someone who has done what he could when he was around to support the smash scene (well melee at least, sorry brawlers) it is a downright fallible to believe that the competitive community does not revolve around numbers. I think there are very few people besides Austin and some others who actively supported the melee scene pre-brawl, and you can't blame them for their jaded fatigue when it comes to trying to keep a scene alive. When they say that SC smash has always been dead they mean it. It is hard to keep the drive going when both games lack a solid online netcode and localized play is the only available source. This is how important the smashfest is for both games, while still not offering the complexity and mental determination provided to win in a tournament setting it gives the players the competition and physical solicitation of appearing to have a viable tournament scene. You can be the best on your block but to be the best in the state is another thing.

However, this means that those people must have a drive to succeed and learn from their mistakes so they may capitalize in the future and keep on winning. The problem with having five very driven players is a similar problem to having 40 crap players. Those players are amazing amongst themselves and have had enough time to adapt to patterns and exploit them as they play each other consistently, yet have trouble adapting to players tendencies on the fly. While the 40 players may not have the drive or determination to get better, you have better odds of having your very own freak of nature (I will use Yayuhz for this instance) that seems to come out of nowhere to emerge as a top player that transcends their state. Yay shows an example of a player who dominates over the 40 that bask in mediocrity and even the 5 who are driven to win. The five would gain more from playing yay than the 40 who would more than likely go to the mentality that he is invincible and never win. This is the dynamic that it takes to have a successful scene that surpasses distances.

Melee, in this sense, is a much harder game to acquire numbers for because the technical proficiencies needed to play at even the most basic of levels. It is disheartening to get stomped on, it is even more disheartening to get destroyed after investing an incredible amount of hours in a game and still have the gall to return for more. Brawl is an easier game to gain the numbers for but most of the players lack the determination required to improve because it takes far less time to become above average at.

Speaking as someone who has organized tournaments and has seen active scenes first hand I can tell you that if South Carolina had 40 people that had 20 of them regularly attend tournaments, the story for our moral and respect across the borders would be drastically different. Tournaments rely on these numbers to succeed and incentive for players to reach into their wallets and travel for a chance to win back their gas money and pride.

*Challenge*

This is the first year that I may not host my yearly Christmas tournament. However, I would like to open it up as a smashfest to everyone who plays brawl, melee, and Street Fighter. I cannot emphasize how important the average smashfest is to the community because it builds those needed numbers up in a less competitive arena for their first times coming out to an event. I don't feel like organizing a tournament because honestly smash isn't really my game of choice anymore and I have too fallen victim to the discontent of holding a tournament where more out of staters how up than actual SC residents. I am open for suggestions for what day would be good for everyone because I am only going to be here until around New Years.

Love,
-SK 47

0megaZer0

Smash Lord
It's not that nobody cares, Omega, it's that caring is pointless. There's never enough people and if there are they are too spread out and too poor to travel anywhere.
I completely agree, we are very far apart...and money is tight on all ends of the scale

If anyone wants to come I'll gonna have a smashfest beofre Snaps tournament...sadly it's not until the 7th of effing January >_> Damn new year lawl

What happened to Ranbat, is that over???

0megaZer0

Smash Lord
What happened to Banishment?
Some difficulties kinda kept that from happening (Again), if I could get the help, I would gladly do that again.

All in all, SK-47 we can't control what people want to or don't want to do....it's not any one persons fault. We can't force people to play >_> lol That's just how it is.

Scha did nail it though.

Top Bottom