• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

-----The Official Sonic Useful Little Tips Thread!-----

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Have you ever felt like there are some little techniques or subtleties that you make use of with your Sonic that you would like to let people know, but its not really an AT to post in the AT thread, and it simply doesn't feel thread worthy? Well then this is the thread for you.

I'm not exactly sure how to orgainize it(or if I even should), nor if this thread will actually be useful, but hey, there isn't that much more going on, so I thought I'd give it a shot. From playing other really good Sonics recently, I've noticed a variety of different little details that they make use of which I never even really thought of, little hints that I have duped and have significantly bettered my game since.

For example, I played tenki, and he did a pseudo chaingrab on me by following me out of Dthrows. Why didn't I even think of that? Now I usually get in a double Dthrow at least once everygame. Not much, but useful. Likewise I was playing Puffball, and he did a dtilt to grab. I'd never thought of that before. Cool.

I think Sonic's playstyles vary so much from player to player, that we could get some useful stuffies outta here that could better our game. This would also help save a many number of unnecesary threads.

How about you start off giving some hints as to things you might usually do in matchup in general, or perhaps small character specific tips.

Heres some stuff that quickly come to mind:
Metaknight: Fair and Springbombing>Dair punish his glide attack so badly that he'll stop using them.

ASC apparently has humongoliscous priority right after it touches the ground(As in going thru lucario aurasphere at 120+ strong)

Also when doing ASC, make sure you're actually holding FORWARD and not diagonal down forward, as I've noticed I tend to do. Seem to have much better results with the former.

Ummm lets see. Don't dash grab. I can't think of a single situation where it would be advantageous to dash grab rather than a shield-cancelled dash grab. Most of the time dash grabbing ends in me being punished. Just make sure you input the shield slightly before you press A. It has about equal range to a standard running grab, minus teh lagz.

Thats it for now =P

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
dash grabbing point is too true

back air to runnign grab is good

the KID CG is up throw at low percents to run away and run back to up throw, up to three times, and than after that, follow up throw with up airs
train people to DI up throws, than forward throw to spring up air

On FD, BF, SV, Lylat, and others, when you feel like you going to get hit when you are hanging from the ledge no matter what you do, drop off the edge, spindash, jump and spring to the other side underneath the stage, ive been doing it regularly for 6 months now, im now calling it the KID recovery, and if you have to after the spring rise with a fair or back air

Napilopez

Smash Lord
dash grabbing point is too true

back air to runnign grab is good

the KID CG is up throw at low percents to run away and run back to up throw, up to three times, and than after that, follow up throw with up airs
train people to DI up throws, than forward throw to spring up air

On FD, BF, SV, Lylat, and others, when you feel like you going to get hit when you are hanging from the ledge no matter what you do, drop off the edge, spindash, jump and spring to the other side underneath the stage, ive been doing it regularly for 6 months now, im now calling it the KID recovery, and if you have to after the spring rise with a fair or back air
I lol at your self-named techniques. Thanks for the input though. I will edit my original post adding that SCDG(Shield Cancelled Dash Grab) has just about the same range as a Dash Grab, minus the lag.

lets see what else. Some basic stuff:

I hadn't realized until recently how much I really was degrading the power of my Fsmash and Bair -_-. I tend to dash attack>fsmash and well, just fsmash alot in general for damage. Recently ive been stopping the fsmashes in favor for ftilts except for kills, and it has helped me out so much. Like today, I had used my fsmash so much that in his last stock, I hit a lucario at 140+ 3 times with it and he would not die. As an ironic twist, we were playing on frigate orpheon, and when the stage flipped over, he autodied. Very funny way to end a ladder match XD.

In general, I recommend substituting fsmash with ftilt until you are in killing time. it will save you much hassle. And because ftilt has a longer range, comes out quicker, similar priority, and has less/equal ending lag to fsmash, you will connect with it more often than fsmash anyways.

When recovering from below with Spring, I often find it useful to "hug" the edge with Uair. Because it hits both to the sides and upwards, and is quite disjointed, it helps against people who try to kill you while you are recovering. Its disjointedness also helps you not be grabbed if I'm not mistaken.

Use more Nair.

CHARGE smashes against reflexive spotdodgers. Really playing Tenki made me realize the value of that. Sonics fsmash isn't slow, but it isnt the quickest kill move either. Same for Dsmash. Charging them however makes the attaack "released" more quickly. Basically, lets say Sonic's fsmash comes out in a total of 10 frames. The thing is about 5 of those frames are spent in Sonic's wind-up animation. If you charge the smash however, you have already gone through the windup animation, so once you release it, the hitbox comes out almost immediately.

Dont fastfall Fairs unless you connected with the last hit. Lagmania.

Done for now.

Oh wait,

Eat Steak

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Hmm random question, but I remember reading that Sonic has like one true combo, which is Nair to jab. How exactly does that work? I can't recall ever actually pulling it off. I mean of course its not like a uber 1030931203% damage combo, but itd be good to know. Is there a certain percentage and characters on which it works on?

Tenki

Smash Hero
it's like falling early N-air (you hit with the weaker part) > jab combo at low %'s

OH SPEAKING OF JAB COMBO

so KID consulted me about this, and when I went to test it out, I realized something.

Hold A to do your jab combos. Unless you have perfect timing. I found out that the majority of the time, we weren't buffering the input for jabs 2-3 early enough, which led to the opponent attacking us out of jabs. But it's basically inescapable (except for DI/being out of range) if you hold it down. The kick is pretty useful for knocking people down and setting up for a techchase.

- Most people will hold towards the stage when you grab them near the edge. You can 'pin' their DI to set up for something if you grab them correctly. For example, if they DI away from you if you do U-throw (usually sends backwards), then you can reverse B-air as though they didn't DI.

Or you can try falling F-airs and have them intentionally DI towards you so the last part of the F-air knocks them into the stage. Too cool when it works.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Yea dude I just noticed that recently, I should be holding A rather than trying to time it XD.

Use Nair More often to break out of "combos", really. Its Sonic quickest aerial, so if you opponent is close enough, it can save you alot of pain.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
Don't Spring-Jump D-air all the time, and you don't have to cancel d-air, just be sure to hit your opponent if you don't cancel it. Also, grabbing a ledge+fall+jump+regrab+repeat till aerial is useful sometimes. =O Use F-throw sometimes, especially for the KID combo. =P

Oh, oh, and most important tip, spacing is IMPORTANT. you need to control spacing, We have ATs to help do it, but spacing is much more important than using ATs.

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
tenki,

the best is at low %

dtilt > 2 jab combo (hold a no kick) > grab dthrow > dash attack canceled usmash
or > tech chase dthrow
... you get it

Napilopez

Smash Lord
That actually sounds quite cool Memphis.

Question, how do you do that retreating stutterstep again?

I believe it was like back, then forward smash with control stick, is that correct? Curious but can't test now since I'm in teh college.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
My tip? Always pummel when you grab. It refreshs your moves and you get free damage. Forget about looking fancy and fluid. Also learn how long you can pummel untill they get released (percentage wise).

:071:

Umby

Smash Master
It's a combination of wiggling the control stick and pressing a shitload of buttons really fast, IF I recall correctly. Ask Reflex.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
That's how you break out faster.

I need video proof or the cake is a lie. Unless I eat it, then it's quite tasty.

:071:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
it's like falling early N-air (you hit with the weaker part) > jab combo at low %'s

OH SPEAKING OF JAB COMBO

so KID consulted me about this, and when I went to test it out, I realized something.

Hold A to do your jab combos. Unless you have perfect timing. I found out that the majority of the time, we weren't buffering the input for jabs 2-3 early enough, which led to the opponent attacking us out of jabs. But it's basically inescapable (except for DI/being out of range) if you hold it down. The kick is pretty useful for knocking people down and setting up for a techchase.

- Most people will hold towards the stage when you grab them near the edge. You can 'pin' their DI to set up for something if you grab them correctly. For example, if they DI away from you if you do U-throw (usually sends backwards), then you can reverse B-air as though they didn't DI.

Or you can try falling F-airs and have them intentionally DI towards you so the last part of the F-air knocks them into the stage. Too cool when it works.

This is awesome.

When grabbing opponents, one of my favorite things to do is:

Pummel once or twice, depending on their percent, then just hold them for a few moments. Wait to see their reaction by listening to their controller, then react with a throw.

Sometimes I pause in a grab, then up-throw. When I stop, people start trying to get out instinctively, and when they do that, they usually screw up the DI on the uthrow, and you can potentially get an uair in or something.

This applies for pretty much anything.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
lololol I forgot I made this thread.

Eating steak befor you play is usually pretty good.

The other day I was playing a rob on the AiB ladder, and I did the most awesomest thing,

Grab.>bthrow>run and grab>bthrow>run and grab>bthrow>run and grab, and then grab release off the edge, and as the rob airdodged to get back on stage, I charge fsmash, and sawnic punch him to death XD.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
So I was checking out the tactical boards, and read a thread about how hitting someone who is charging smashes yeilds more knockback, overall 20% earlier deaths.

Could this say something for Sonics punishment game? Sonic is a punisher so this might mean something, ASC kills at 140%?

The prob is that Sonic doesnt have any quick kill moves to really punish anyone for charging smashes. But from reading stuff it did seem that you could do it within the first frame of a charge, so I dunno. I guess its something to keep in mind.

Now if this affected throws it would be awesome, but I doubt it cuz it only works on the first hitbox, and 'm assuming that would be interpretted as the "grab hitbox". So yea.

Top Bottom