• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official "Should/Will Metaknight be banned?" Thread (LISTEN TO THE SBR PODCAST!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

brinboy789

Smash Champion
who says he does? Assuming things make an *** out of you and me.

edit: besides smash involves more than one game.

edit2: there are actually a lot of people who prefer to go to melee tournaments than brawl. It isn't only because of MK but he is a factor in it.
@edit2: i would say 99% of people who prefer meleeoverbrawl is because of brawls new physics engine. not MK. im pretty sure of that.

brinboy789

Smash Champion
A lot of people who are on smashboards don't play smash and like I said smash includes melee and n 64.
if he played melee or 64 he wouldnt be a major part of this heated discussion...how about this

da K.I.D., DO YOU PLAY BRAWL?

if he doesnt, then im gonna laugh because he wasted 5 million posts about trying to ban a character in a game that he doesnt even play

XienZo

Smash Lord
I'm FAIRLY sure less than 99% of people changed to Melee for that reason.

Why do you think the "Melee is more balanced than Brawl" thing is taboo?

Also, you're saying, "who quit Brawl cause of MK?" "Well, guess what, you don't count because you don't play Brawl!"

Which is actually pretty tricky. I should try that logic next time

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
people arent going to quit smash because MK isnt banned. if thats true, then how come you still play smash?
i believe the question you meant to ask was...
Why dont I play Meta Knight?
the answer...
the honest answer...
Honestly, because Im not smart.
seriously going into a tourney and not playing MK and expecting to win, is stupid and is like repeatedly slamming your head into a brick wall. its stupid and the only thing youll do is hurt yourself.

To be honest, when i started going to tournaments, i mained Sonic only. The people i play with, know for a fact that I reference Sonic as the only reason that I play brawl over Melee. now, ive had to put the time into learning, Lucario,fox, wolf, pit, and D3 in the desperate search to find something that could defeat MK and snake.

i tried as hard as i could, i still am, im scouring this game to find something, anything that could be used in this game to even hope to combat the rediculousness that is MK. and when absolutely nothing comes up, the only responce that i get is that im too much of a scrub, and that I need to get better. really? I love how only Mk player tell me that. So yall can get off your high horse and slow your effing roll, just because people switch to MK doesnt mean they are whores. it means they are smart. OS and many other figured it out that theres no nobility in smash and that when it comes down to the decision, being "just another MK" and getting the money is better than being that one guy who can beat MKs and having to work your fingers to the bone just to get half the money that youd get playing MK
get real and l2play

tl;dr
i play brawl dispite MKs *********** because
1. I love sonic too much
2. I am too stupid to play MK myself

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
if he played melee or 64 he wouldnt be a major part of this heated discussion...how about this

da K.I.D., DO YOU PLAY BRAWL?

if he doesnt, then im gonna laugh because he wasted 5 million posts about trying to ban a character in a game that he doesnt even play
yes just laugh at people quiting brawl because of MK. laugh at our point being proven. laugh at the possibility of people having played brawl before and quit because of various factors including MK.

Are you really that ********?

edit: whats tl;dr I keep forgetting

brinboy789

Smash Champion
i believe the question you meant to ask was...
Why dont I play Meta Knight?
the answer...
the honest answer...
Honestly, because Im not smart.
seriously going into a tourney and not playing MK and expecting to win, is stupid and is like repeatedly slamming your head into a brick wall. its stupid and the only thing youll do is hurt yourself.

To be honest, when i started going to tournaments, i mained Sonic only. The people i play with, know for a fact that I reference Sonic as the only reason that I play brawl over Melee. now, ive had to put the time into learning, Lucario,fox, wolf, pit, and D3 in the desperate search to find something that could defeat MK and snake.

i tried as hard as i could, i still am, im scouring this game to find something, anything that could be used in this game to even hope to combat the rediculousness that is MK. and when absolutely nothing comes up, the only responce that i get is that im too much of a scrub, and that I need to get better. really? I love how only Mk player tell me that. So yall can get off your high horse and slow your effing roll, just because people switch to MK doesnt mean they are whores. it means they are smart. OS and many other figured it out that theres no nobility in smash and that when it comes down to the decision, being "just another MK" and getting the money is better than being that one guy who can beat MKs and having to work your fingers to the bone just to get half the money that youd get playing MK
get real and l2play

tl;dr
i play brawl dispite MKs *********** because
1. I love sonic too much
2. I am too stupid to play MK myself
uh...no i didnt ask why you dont play MK. im saying that if people are quitting smash because MK isnt banned, then why are you playing it? because you are obviously with the MK bandont

yes just laugh at people quiting brawl because of MK. laugh at our point being proven. laugh at the possibility of people having played brawl before and quit because of various factors including MK.

Are you really that ********?
dont call people ******** when you dont even know what im talking about.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
also, after december if we are still in the same position that we are in now, ill probably just switch to MK

also, MK banned tourneys, should not count in ankokus ranking list, they should be on a seperate list so that we can see the differences between the rankings

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
i play it because sonic is in it and is my favorite VG character of all time

but im starting to not like the game because he gets so completely decimated by this one character that everyone is deluding themselves about, saying that hes not broken

XienZo

Smash Lord
I'm playing Smash since MK MIGHT be Banned or even better, Shadom Moses unbanned
and like what ^he said, I like Olimar, and he isn't in Melee.

Thus, we aren't quite out of hope until SBR goes and says,"There is no way we're ever banning MK. Ever."

Then we might.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I'm playing Smash since MK MIGHT be Banned or even better, Shadom Moses unbanned

Thus, we aren't quite out of hope until SBR goes and says,"There is no way we're ever banning MK. Ever."

Then we might.
this too

10islands

edit tl;dr is too long didnt read
if your post is unnecessarily wordy, some ppl wont read it so you say for those of you who think my post was Too Long; and Didnt Read it, let me summarise for you...

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
dont call people ******** when you dont even know what im talking about.
how can I confuse what you said? you said you would laugh at da kid because he doesn't play brawl.

God forbid someone played it in these 8 months and quit recently.

Also most of your questions are answered in previous posts if you bothered to read them all you wouldn't have to keep asking the same questions over and over.

salaboB

Smash Champion
people arent going to quit smash because MK isnt banned.
They already have.

Since you can't bother to search (And maybe just aren't good with search engines) I took a couple minutes and ran two searches on this thread and found some posts for you. I didn't even include duplicates where people referenced their own experiences multiple times (ie, they're staying consistent - Hitaku mentions losing people in at least two other posts besides here, and I saw at least one other from cutter) There are likely some I missed, but you wanted examples so here you go:

Players quitting Brawl entirely:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5480595#post5480595

Players not coming to Brawl tournaments:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5475424#post5475424
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5483222#post5483222

Now I hope you'll entirely quit saying nobody's answered your question about where people have said that players are quitting. I'll just block you if you do say it again because this is a direct answer to your question.

infomon

Smash Scientist
See if it ruins people's ability to compete.

See if it changes who people counterpick.

See if new characters show up in the top slots that were being entirely suppressed before.

See how much it upsets people.
Banning MK will obviously change the characters people will decide to play. How would that be surprising? What possible results would tell you "the ban was successful" vs. "the ban was a bad idea"? "Seeing how much it upsets people" sounds really dumb. Decide what the correct course of action is, and go with it. Surely we can pick more objective criteria for a ban than "which option makes less people upset"; even if we could measure such a thing (we can't).

Note: people being vocal about an MK ban on smashboards is not necessarily a fair sample of the people who would be affected by a ban.

Yes Azen would have made it to 3rd with lucario but he can't go any higher which actually proves the point of go MK or loose.

Azen had to go MK in doubles as well because lucario/MK team was getting owned.
Aren't you ignoring Azen's own statement here, about how he usually does better with Lucario vs. MKs? And he made it to third place with Lucario, how the heck can that indicate "go MK or lose"? You used the term "proves the point" where you should have said "provides a morsel of evidence", and you'd still be overstating the significance of those two matches.

Doubles play is categorically different; doing well in doubles cannot be used as a condition for banning a character in singles. Maybe the Lucario/MK combination just isn't as effective as other possible pairings?

if there is anyone below the upper half of high tier that gets top 8 we will know that the game is better without MK
Or maybe we'd just have to restructure our tier list; since they're based on tourney results anyway, which will obviously change when you remove a character.

at HOBO 11 if you look at the top 8 all people saw was

MK
MK
MK
not MK
not MK
MK
not MK
MK
Only because they're neglecting the truth, which is that the results were anywhere between

MK
----------------
MK
MK
----------------
Lucario
MK
----------------
MK
Wario
-------------
Wario
MK
--------
and
----
Snake
Marth
-------------
Marth
Peach
-------------
Peach
MK
----------------
G&W

BOTH sides of which look diverse enough that if these are typical results, then a ban is not required.

BentoBox

Smash Master
As far as I know, the people who want MK banned haven't all quit, else why would we be arguing about this, right here, right now? =/ Sigh.

salaboB

Smash Champion
Banning MK will obviously change the characters people will decide to play. How would that be surprising? What possible results would tell you "the ban was successful" vs. "the ban was a bad idea"? "Seeing how much it upsets people" sounds really dumb. Decide what the correct course of action is, and go with it. Surely we can pick more objective criteria for a ban than "which option makes less people upset"; even if we could measure such a thing (we can't).
You asked, I provided some possibilities.

Whether you want to recognize it or not, the only reason to consider banning a character is for the health of the tournament community. Thus people being upset at the actual events does actually impact it -- if the game will limp on with him unbanned but be dead if he's banned, then he's better off not banned even if all we get are MK dittos.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
Aren't you ignoring Azen's own statement here, about how he usually does better with Lucario vs. MKs? And he made it to third place with Lucario, how the heck can that indicate "go MK or lose"? You used the term "proves the point" where you should have said "provides a morsel of evidence", and you'd still be overstating the significance of those two matches.
I'm kind of ignoring it because it doesn't change anything. Snakes used to own MKs now they don't he used to do better against MKs with lucarios now he doesn't. There is one MK he couldn't beat with lucario and was forced to ditto whats to stop there from being more given time? I agree that I should have said it provides evidence instead though.
Doubles play is categorically different; doing well in doubles cannot be used as a condition for banning a character in singles. Maybe the Lucario/MK combination just isn't as effective as other possible pairings?
its true its a different category but if MK is banned will he be allowed in teams? If he is banned it affects it too. And atm doubles also involved go MK or loose.

Or maybe we'd just have to restructure our tier list; since they're based on tourney results anyway, which will obviously change when you remove a character.
I'm not sure what this means tier lists are being reconstructed all the time anyways.

Only because they're neglecting the truth, which is that the results were anywhere between

MK
----------------
MK
MK
----------------
Lucario
MK
----------------
MK
Wario
-------------
Wario
MK
--------
and
----
Snake
Marth
-------------
Marth
Peach
-------------
Peach
MK
----------------
G&W

BOTH sides of which look diverse enough that if these are typical results, then a ban is not required.
this last thing is a matter of opinion to me it doesn't look diverse enough on the left side. Plus you could use a character your really good at for the 1st half of the tournament and then have to go MK at the end which would still fall under the go MK or loose even if you used a second during the tournament.

infomon

Smash Scientist
bboy, you still havent told me where the hell you are from
Maybe he's worried what will happen when we track him down :psycho:

You asked, I provided some possibilities.

Whether you want to recognize it or not, the only reason to consider banning a character is for the health of the tournament community. Thus people being upset at the actual events does actually impact it -- if the game will limp on with him unbanned but be dead if he's banned, then he's better off not banned even if all we get are MK dittos.
Fair enough. I even agree, about the "health of the community" thing; I mean, why even ban Akuma, since Akuma dittos are fair? Because that's a dumb, shallow game. Same thing if Brawl totally degenerates to MK dittos.

However, it depends why it degenerates. If everyone plays MK just because he's easy to learn whereas the other characters require more time and energy to reach the same skill level, well then that just means our community is lame. The other characters are viable, but noone's bothering to play them. As if we're bored of the game without even giving it a chance.

But if MK is so good that other characters have no reasonable chance of winning, then the tournament scene will absolutely degenerate to MK dittos, and he must be banned.

Right now we're in a grey area, though. MK is the most popular and successful character, but other characters still show a fighting chance. If this trend will continue, MK dittos will remain tragically common, but not completely dominant at tournaments. It's hard to know in this case if MK really is too good, or if we just have a lot of people picking MK because it's easy rather than legitimately exploring the non-MK possibilities.

The health of the community is suspect in either direction, because I believe an MK ban really does abandon a lot of people, so before we do a ban we had better make sure we have defendable criteria to explain why the ban is necessary to skeptics. And to help us deal with the possibility of this same situation happening again.

Browny

Smash Hater
so brinboy789 is the first person ive ever set to ignore on any forum, ever.

this thread should get a bit less ******** now, at least for me
- lol i cant find the ignore button... stupid vbulletin

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero

MK
----------------
MK
MK
----------------
Lucario
MK
----------------
MK
Wario
-------------
Wario
MK
--------
and
----
Snake
Marth
-------------
Marth
Peach
-------------
Peach
MK
----------------
G&W

REALLY?

REALLY?

so youre honestly telling me that you would be ok with it if Mk took 5 of teh top 8 spots and all the top 3 spots at EVERY SINGLE TOURNEY.
you must be outside your effing mind

and of course the right side looks fine to you, just replace 1 and 3 with D3 and that what tourney results would look like IF MK WERE BANNED. common dude
you really just said:
"its fine if Mk takes all the money at every tournament for the rest of brawl"
and:
"the results look fine if you disregard all the MKs"
in the same post

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
However, it depends why it degenerates. If everyone plays MK just because he's easy to learn whereas the other characters require more time and energy to reach the same skill level, well then that just means our community is lame. The other characters are viable, but noone's bothering to play them. As if we're bored of the game without even giving it a chance.
This isn't really happening idk why people keep saying it. There are plenty of people loyal to there favorite characters. Most people who pick up MK is because they have no other way to deal with him not because he is easy to learn.

Veng

Smash Ace
I would MUCH rather play a Snake as a Pika main then a Meta Knight. MK should be banned, Snake is the marth of melee.

I will also say this.

No character is easy to learn, to be good you have to have a general brawl skill level, notice how if Azen is really good with Lucario he can pick up Pika or some other third/secondary in a day and be better then most pikas, well its general skill in the game itself. Then thats where Meta Knight comes in, hes got priority, broken attacks, whorenado, lots of jumps, great ko-ing recovery and drill rush/whorenado for recovering, aerials can combo and juggle hes quick, the list goes on, but whats it take to use him? no techniques are even good for him except cancels, like shuttle loop lag cancel which even then is an attack! ( if you use A instead of x/y glide cancel ) not to mention recovering against him if you dont have projectiles is a joke.

But to use for example pika you gotta know his QACancel and some other techniques, while you will have a REALLY good base pika you could be much better, but even then...

salaboB

Smash Champion
One thing to bear in mind (And your comment is really interestingly worded, I hadn't really thought about it this way before) -- Brawl is not a technically complex game compared to many fighting games. It's quite possible people are just plain bored of going through all the motions they'd have to in order to compete with MK with anyone except MK, so they'll switch to him or just quit instead. So even if he's not ban worthy by the standards of other games, the boredom effect may make it necessary to ban him in this one.

brinboy789

Smash Champion
how can I confuse what you said? you said you would laugh at da kid because he doesn't play brawl.

God forbid someone played it in these 8 months and quit recently.

Also most of your questions are answered in previous posts if you bothered to read them all you wouldn't have to keep asking the same questions over and over.
i said if he participated so much in this arguement and doesnt even play the game...it just doesnt work. i never asked any question stop being gay toward me

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
let me make something clear, the only reason in my mind that snake shouldnt be banned too, is because he can get chain grabbed by every character that has chaingrabs

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I was reading back through this thread trying to find something someone said a while back. Anyways, I didn't find it, but w/e
I've seen a lot of players bring out MK after they lose their first game with their normal main... it's pretty ****ing sad.
I tried that. I was up against a very good Rob player in the pools of a tourney. I main Olimar. Seeing that this was a bad matchup, I used Marth instead. (a character that I've got decent experience using) I lost the first match by a one stock I think. I barely lost the second, losing to a dumb recovery mistake I made. (no johns. he beat me fair and square)

I made it out of the pools. I beat everyone else using Olimar. About 2-3 games into the tourney, I play the same Rob user. (the host was later blamed for how poorly the brackets were set up) I didn't know who to use! He beat my marth in pools. I decided to use MK, a character I hadn't practiced before. (maybe once or twice in the beginning) He two stocked me the first match. I gave up on MK, lol. I decided to just man up and use Olimar. My reasoning? "might as well use my main and try it out. Maybe I won't do so bad." I beat him two times. I lived to see another day.

moral of the heartfilling story? idk. I used MK cuz I gave up on all my other characters and lost my first match ever using MK, lolz. He controled me!!!

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
^its been said. The don't ban MK side says it doesn't count for some reason because of something azen said.

edit: incase your wondering if its true or not http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=ArturitoBurrito

i said if he participated so much in this arguement and doesnt even play the game...it just doesnt work. i never asked any question stop being gay toward me
EL hardly goes to tournaments would you laugh at him for being a heated discussion involving them?

Veng

Smash Ace
Thats bull, I honestly dont like MK at all right now,.

Gimpyfish deserves a round of applause right now, he owns with sheik, he would be very high at the top if he used MK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom