• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official "Should/Will Metaknight be banned?" Thread (LISTEN TO THE SBR PODCAST!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Betrayed

Smash Ace
Hi, I'm that guy that plays Melee because Brawl is terrible. Melee never had these problems!

HAR HAR HAR.

But seriously, 366 pages of this mindless garble? If it's this bad then bad him for a few months and see what happens. It's you can't just go "OH HEY, UH, WELL LET'S UNBAN HIM NOW CAUSE WE FIGURED SOME STUFF OUT"

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
Hi, I'm that guy that plays Melee because Brawl is terrible. Melee never had these problems!

HAR HAR HAR.

But seriously, 366 pages of this mindless garble? If it's this bad then bad him for a few months and see what happens. It's you can't just go "OH HEY, UH, WELL LET'S UNBAN HIM NOW CAUSE WE FIGURED SOME STUFF OUT"
But will we figure anything out without having the character participating in tournaments?

Reaperman64

Smash Apprentice
no not sheilded but when mk performs his B across he is stuck for the duration of the mo as with his f smash.

but ikes attacks cancel these moves if timed correctly

all moves in smash can be sheilded or PSed

Red Exodus

Smash Master

HAR HAR HAR.

Melee wasn't the perfect fighter but it sure seems like it when you compare it to Brawl. Everyone is trying so hard to make Brawl accomplish what Melee did but they're failing terribly. If Sakurai doesn't want Brawl to be competitive why even try to force it? We've banned items, banned stages and now we're going to go to banning characters, pretty soon we'll have banned controller configs too.

Banning MK is going to have a nasty backlash. Real MK players are going to be out of a main just because people can't find a counter [which is a dumb reason, he has neutrals, it's not like he is unstoppable]. I've played MK since the beginning, before the legal stage list, before the tier list and all that jazz. I don't play competitively anymore but if I were to decide to go competitive in Brawl [LOL] it would suck because all I'll hear is MK johns or see him on the banned list.

It's kinda like how scrubs hate WDing and tell you that all advanced techniques are cheating. Without that barrier Brawl got flooded with scrubs overjoyed at the fact that they don't have to spend 10 minutes to learn a move that isn't in the manual.

Maybe this is just the price to pay for competitively playing a game that has been made against competitive play.

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
no not sheilded but when mk performs his B across he is stuck for the duration of the mo as with his f smash.

But shields can be shield poked or abused. Meta Knight can jump above a shield and hover above it by jumping again and again.
Then all he needs to do is d-air.

If you stand there and shield a Meta Knight your shield will turn to a speck and your face will get cut off by d-airs until you get off the stage and get gimped.

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
ike uptilt should swat him like a fly:D
You have no clue what you're talking about.
I have dropped my mains, picked up Meta Knight, and ***** the **** out of Ikes so many times before.

You can't assume time will slow down for Ike's uptilt to actually LAND on Meta Knight. If anything, all Ike can do is Neutral air -> A-tap defense, and even that is easy to get past with MK.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master

Alright now your starting to make a little bit of sense but you still have no real clue about the Ike vs MK match up. A good MK won't be approaching with a tornado because of everything that Ike has to hit him. How ever thanks to Ike's huge lag in all of his moves with pretty much any shielded move MK can tornado out of the shield and trap Ike inside it.

This seems to simple it shouldn't even be talked about everyone gets stuck int he animation of a move while they are preforming a move.

Reaperman64

Smash Apprentice
lol nowhere twas at that guy who just posted *** it

all that made sense to me, but playing as ike you learn to pick the opportune moments for attack

if you give me your msn addy we can arrange this match up...either im wrong or your wrong which would be fun finding out...also i need more brawlers on my list

XienZo

Smash Lord
Well, he's asking for a Ike vs MK fight... that should be fun...

easiest way to get rid of either a troll or ignorance would be to show him...

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
Either way a good chuckle for me xD, those 3 points you made were exactly what I was thinking.

So back to Meta Knight's ban, I don't think it's arguable anymore.

It simply is current logic (ban) versus future hypothetical (MK isn't infallible?)

If anything I think MK might develop more just as other characters are developing, so I don't see him getting counter picked any time soon.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Melee wasn't the perfect fighter but it sure seems like it when you compare it to Brawl. Everyone is trying so hard to make Brawl accomplish what Melee did but they're failing terribly. If Sakurai doesn't want Brawl to be competitive why even try to force it? We've banned items, banned stages and now we're going to go to banning characters, pretty soon we'll have banned controller configs too.

Banning MK is going to have a nasty backlash. Real MK players are going to be out of a main just because people can't find a counter [which is a dumb reason, he has neutrals, it's not like he is unstoppable]. I've played MK since the beginning, before the legal stage list, before the tier list and all that jazz. I don't play competitively anymore but if I were to decide to go competitive in Brawl [LOL] it would suck because all I'll hear is MK johns or see him on the banned list.

It's kinda like how scrubs hate WDing and tell you that all advanced techniques are cheating. Without that barrier Brawl got flooded with scrubs overjoyed at the fact that they don't have to spend 10 minutes to learn a move that isn't in the manual.

Maybe this is just the price to pay for competitively playing a game that has been made against competitive play.
I think the SBR is trying to discourage posts like this because their ultimately unconstructive.

Why are you a party to this discussion if you are never going to play competitive brawl? Don't you think the decision should reflect the opinions of ban's victims/beneficiaries, not admittedly unaffected players?

Reaperman64

Smash Apprentice
i thought you were mk soz youd you main?

not a troll not even sure what that is lmao

id love too even getting my *** kicked 100 times is fun:D

Gindler

Smash Champion
The best way I can describe what a troll is is what you're doing...unless it's the ignorance and if so sorry for pointing the troll finger.

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
I dont think he should be banned not that hard to beat Metaknight wit Marth or Snake
Well the decent through poor Meta Knight players are generally easy to take on with Snake, but certainly not the well-practiced ones.

As for Marth I actually can see that being a quite Neutral Matchup, save for the possible gimping Meta Knight can pull off.

XienZo

Smash Lord
Although a point of MK-banners is that you don't HAVE to main MK to beat, lets say an Ike, so he wouldn't have to be an MK main to beat you.

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
Well there's neutral match ups...so far...and those characters who have neutral matchups don't seem to be developing in any rapid notion.

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
Yoshi is underrated in my opinion though. I always take a blow to the head when I see the better Yoshi players come my way ingame after thinking "gosh that's low tier, it must be easy".

Reaperman64

Smash Apprentice
meh ive played some pretty good players but they main starfox guys

ive never played against them using mk so all my theorys are hypothetical based on what ive played v friends

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
meh ive played some pretty good players but they main starfox guys

ive never played against them using mk so all my theorys are hypothetical based on what ive played v friends
don't you play with items? and Also you just admitted to not going to tournaments so you really have no voice in this.

MK being banned won't stop you from using it in friendlies so why do you even care?

Reaperman64

Smash Apprentice
errr no i just said all mk users were friends

plus the only reason im in on this is because i may wish to tourney in future

and we shouldnt ban something just cause we cant beat it

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
No, there is plenty of proof that Meta Knight is broken [in match-ups]. There is no solid proof otherwise as that is the only possible truth in the matter, so, unless it changes, that's how it is. Thus, as KID said, the only valid against argument is speculative, which has been how we've handled it for months. Nothing has changed.
The burden of proof lies in the accuser. It's up to you to prove why banning him is appropriate.

All arguments for an immediate ban have been shot down, however, arguments for an eventual ban are not out of the question having validity to them.

The Match-ups argument have been disproven by the fact other games have had much worse characters with more favorable match up, but kept them legal. Hell MK has four neutral match-ups, trusting the match-up thread. I trust DanGR match-up thread due to the fact both boards, citing a reliable match-up thread, have to agree and if disagreement is found the match-up is taken down off the list.

MK is the best choice for a safe pick, he is not the most full proof.

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
errr no i just said all mk users were friends

plus the only reason im in on this is because i may wish to tourney in future

and we shouldnt ban something just cause we cant beat it
It's not that we can't beat it, it's that the easiest way to beat it is by joining it.

If everyone follows that logic, everyone will soon be a Meta Knight player.

Who wants to go to a Brawl Tournament and use Meta Knight against 40 other Meta Knights?

I know playing 100 Marth players in Melee was bad enough but 1,000 MK's in Brawl would SUCK, especially if we also used MK.

Reaperman64

Smash Apprentice
but he can be beat even in his thread people say that he will eventually have a counter

then fight it pick the most fun charecter and master it, all can beat all ive always said

XienZo

Smash Lord
but he can be beat even in his thread people say that he will eventually have a counter

then fight it pick the most fun charecter and master it, all can beat all ive always said
Alas, that has been brought up many times, and the issues include, what if you STILL can't beat an MK? What if you're losing to MKs that couldn't beat you with any other char(because they suck in general)? What if he never gets a counter?

Reaperman64

Smash Apprentice
then i will do what i can untill i can do no more;)

seriously though nothing is unbeatable, games dont work like that. i could refer to the GOW example here but anyone whos played knows it

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master

that is the worst argument in this whole debate. Guys if we wait 40 years just maybe maybe we can find a counter for MK so don't ban him now.

The only way to find a counter against MK will be to find a strength for another character because like I've said MK has no weaknesses. The counter can still be found if MK is banned.

edit: stop using the MK is beatable argument. Every character in a fight game has the ability to loose health/take damage and die. No one is saying MK is unbeatable and that we should ban him because of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom