• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official SBR Brawl Tier List v1.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Umby

Smash Master
You'd be surprised how well dash attack spam works on some characters though. Though it definitely doesn't setup for fsmash. Maybe utilt/ftilt, but unless the opponent is ********, definitely not fsmash.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Sonic's dash attack doesn't create openings as much as it punishes them (alot quicker than his other moves)

By the way, I have a pretty awesome amount of MK frame data (hotgarbage's) frame data, hiding somewhere in one of my threads.

It even has landing lag and autocancel times <3

apparently, MK's aerials have like a range of 12-15 frames of landing lag, and their aerial commitment time is usually somewhere around 30-40 frames (yes, I was right >_>) However, usually around frame 20, his aerials 'auto cancel', so when he does SH FF aerials, he usually gets to that autocancel point first.

But when he's in the air, there's a very noticeable amount of dead time in his attacks not named U-air o_o;

Tenki

Smash Hero
I would but I don't have a replacement one that isn't Sonic-related ;o

On a funny note, according to hotgarbage's frame data, U-air finishes on frame 13 (or at least, you can jump/whatever by then)

But it auto cancels on frame 21.

otherwise he suffers a 12 frame landing lag.

>_>

<_<

MK can L-cancel. LOL.

Umby

Smash Master
Sweet! And yet my Falco question still goes unanswered...
why's falco top tier? he seems just as good as fox. i mean sure he has a chain grab...
Amazing projectile (Better than Fox's)
Shine.
Chain Grab can actually zero-to-death some characters. (Unlike Fox)
Dair can Meteor (Unlike Fox's)
Phantasm can Meteor and is shit fast (faster than Fox's)
Bair comes out faster than Fox's

Basically, if you are looking at a standpoint where you compare Fox to Falco, Falco is high tier because for one, a combination of his lasers and shine can stop/hinder approaches, and his laser alone provides him with a few more approach options than Fox. If you asked me, it's really mostly the laser that gives him a pure advantage over Fox in terms of placement.

gantrain05

Smash Master
meh, i just let falco laser me at the start of matches until like 40 percent, then im safe from the chaingrab, but really i honestly think they should be alot closer to each other on the tier list than they are, sure, falco has annoying lasers and a chaingrab, but fox's combos work like 1000x better Dair > Utilt spam > Fair/Nair/Usmash/Dair and start over etc, falco really doesn't have any "combos" that i can really think of.

Cook

Smash Master
meh, i just let falco laser me at the start of matches until like 40 percent, then im safe from the chaingrab, but really i honestly think they should be alot closer to each other on the tier list than they are, sure, falco has annoying lasers and a chaingrab, but fox's combos work like 1000x better Dair > Utilt spam > Fair/Nair/Usmash/Dair and start over etc, falco really doesn't have any "combos" that i can really think of.
I'm pretty sure Olimar can meteor cancel with up-b and beat Falco to the ledge if he does the chain-grab to spike.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
We should make this a weekly thing between us - we do it so often!
Haha sure XD

Sonic definitely has problems approaching Peach and Wario as well. Everyone else just gives him projectile issues, but it only takes a second to get around that. I'm not really saying that Sonic approaching is truly an issue to his game, but the fact that he has to approach in the fashion that he does is one of the factors that set him below the bar. When you look at it, a lot of the characters above Sonic can use projectiles to camp or spam a little to cover their own approach. They use it as a defensive tactic to bait disadvantegous movements from their opponents. In the process they do damage and can potentially slow down the opponent. All Sonic can do to the same effect is attempt to fake them out - not as consistently reliable as most projectiles. That's realy what I was trying to get at in my post.
Ahh, understood. But more stuff XD: I personally don't think he has any trouble approaching Wario and Peach, and I've played plenty. I don't see what the problem would be with wario, his bite is the biggest issue, which homing attack can punish oh so easily. Or just, walk up and up-angle fsmash. Peach is slightly more problematic because of her turnip and dair, but turnip is easy enough to powershield(plus im sure you can cover like half of fd or more in the time it takes her to pull it out and throw it), and there are ways with dealing with dair.

Although it would clearly be better if Sonic didn't have to approach, I think he can approach much better than several non-projectiles characters above him.

Actually, therein lies the problem. The reason people make such move commitment in higher level play with some of the better characters is because those moves obviously work effeciently with a minimal amount of practice. I mean, G&W's dsmash? It's rediculous. So while most higher tiered characters are abusing these types of moves, Sonic, on the other hand requires more precision in landing his moves. Now, assuming the user is able to land them often, that would partially indicate how skilled a Sonic user is. But Sonic himself is struggling to fight through giant lingering hit boxes and lagless, abusable, disjointed attacks. So we can say a player's skill can increase exponentially through higher level play, but Sonic is still pretty garbage.
Hmm, this may be true, but I have my own opinions about the impact of skill level in matchup discussions and whatnot. Yet again, I will bring up a point I often do often do of extreme contrast. At the most basic levels of play, which I would describe as mostly C-stick spam, Ike is clearly one of the best characters. Lets say you just introducing 2 people into smash, and teach them the very basics only at first. One player is Wario, the other is Ike. At this level of play, I think you would agree that Ike is the better character overall. Why? He has range, power, and priority. The Wario player won't know how to do stuff like weave aerials and which attacks are quicker and whatnot. So although this is obviously much more exagerated than the situation with Sonic, if Sonic knows the right moves to use, the character itself does become better, along with the player. At least Sonic has at least one move to answer for almost every situation: ftilt for range, dtilt racking damage, Uair to beat out anything above him, Fair when he needs a quick aerial, bair when he needs knockback, to give some examples. I find some other characters are more limited in this area, they might not have a good enough option for certain situations. Sonic is still limited though.

But my original point still stands, and we agree on that: Sonic does have to commit alot in his moveset. Choices are extremely important, and this keeps him from being top.

Not sure if you're rebutting against me or working with me to prove my point to the previous user that asked about Sonic, but this is correct.
This was more of a general statement about my own opinions about Sonic, one that I know is reflected by many of the better Sonic mains as well, so yes, I was supporting that Sonic doesn't deserve to be high, but also that he doesn't deserve to be as low.

Well first, I would disagree with your first point in this statement. If Sonic deserves mid tier for being a punishment character, then Squirtle himself would push Pokemon Trainer up to mid tier for similarly being a punishment character with better aerial game (PT users feel free to correct me on this, if you wish). Samus would probably have to be pushed up too just because she can spam/camp, which is a huge part of Brawl, which brings me to my next counterpoint.
Welll, the thing is I think its about the quality of the punishment, and how often you are able to respond. I still don't think Sonic mains abuse Sonic's running speed to its deserved potential at this point in the metagame. Like, yea Sonic loses out against MK, but Sonic is also one of the few characters that actually has the speed to punish the lag on MKs aerials. Basically, Sonic can take advantage of the tiniest windows for punishment, and across larger distances better than probably anyone else. Sonics have already learned2AT, are beginning to Lrn2Player, now I think they gotta focus more on Lrn2run. I see so much potential in dashdance pivots from foxtrots and stuff.

Sonic can be patient and more effective, yes. Land camping is good bait. But if a Sonic user realizes that he can be patient, then a Snake or R.O.B. user realizes this as well. So at this point, Sonic is either forced to approach or forced to Pshield every projectile thrown at him. That's because of the obvious fact that projectile camping is more effective than land camping.
Well for one thing, there are after all other characters without projectiles or reflectors who manage great. Furthermore, oftentimes the opponent can only get out a couple of projectiles before Sonic is in his/her face anyways. And i would argue projectile camping being more effective than land camping against Sonic specifically. He has ways around virtually everything with him taking considerably less damage than other non projectiled chars would probably do.

If anything it warrants him being pushed a few spots up, but even then he'd still be in the low tier.
Hmm perhaps. But if Sonic managed rank 18 for the next 5 years, then I think it would warrant him more than low tier. Of course things aren't so static, and we have no clue how things will progress tournament-wise from now on, but as time progresses I find tourney's should have more weight towards character rankings, because with the passage of time, more and more options have been exhausted, more knowledge exists, so we begin to reach a slowdown in the development of the metagame. however, obviously tier lists are always shifting and whatnot, and even after all this time with melee, the metagame still progresses, and gameplay trends continue to change.

After the SBR's Character Discussion on Sonic, I'd be amazed if the SBR even cared to pay attention to Sonic results when forming the next version of the tier list. (Yes, I did look at it. I just didn't post)
Haha, glad to see that even someone who doesn't post on the boards anymore sees some of the... stuff that was mentioned in that thread, lulz.

So yea, I think Sonic still needs to have his speed exploted. And this is not necesarily through ATs or watevs, just plain old people reacting more quickly, and having better timing and control. I find lots of the damage Sonic takes on in battle nowadays are actually from missed punishment opportunities, people being a couple of frames off. I mean, how many times don't you see a Sonic whiff a dashgrab and then get smashed for it? Some more accuracy would lead to much better play for Sonic IMO. Yea, I know this is true for any character, but I believe its on a more critical scale with Sonic. Honsestly, I think taking advantage of Sonic's speed is a more technical aspect of Sonics gameplay than any of his fancy smancy ATs. Except for foxtrot tricks and dashdances.

I also think Sonic has the advantage of not being truly destroyed by any character. Ehh Sonic mains will argue about this back and forth, like you think D3 is a bad matchup, I don't see it worse than neutral =P. Sonic is very dynamic as a Character; its not just people's playstyles that are drastically different, its Sonic's character that allows them to play differently and still be somewhat effective. I remember when I made that thread about what were your best/worst/most fun matchups with Sonic, and it seemed Sonic mains could barely agree on the worst matchups. Yet when I see similar threads in other boards, its usually the same couple of characters mentioned. Like Some of us think Snak is one of Sonic's easiest matchups, others think he's one of the hardest. Worst characters included Olimar, Wario, Mario, Peach, DK, Pika, Wolf, and they spanned all across the roster, except for a few regular good ones like Bowser, CF, and Ganon.

or maybe it just means Sonic is really bad and has terrible matchups with everyone. Lolasooo.

But seriously, i think Sonic allows room for truly dynamic gameplay, and I think Sonic players need to learn to be more dynamic in order to bring Sonic up. And I think they have the potential to do that.

And I wrote alot and am tired now anyways, so done for now hehe.

Qckpy01

Smash Apprentice
I think that's the biggest post outside of a guide I've seen so far........ I don't even want to quote it. lol

Galanoth7395

Smash Apprentice
im confident that the next tier list comes out christmas or new years day. i can't wait...

@napilopez: that's a freaking big post XD

check this out:
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Middle Tier:
Bowser
Low Tier:
Mario
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Top Tier:
Metaknight
King Dedede
High Tier:
Kirby
High Tier:
Wolf
Middle Tier:
Fox
Low Tier:
Ganondorf
Link

Has the world gone mad?????

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
im confident that the next tier list comes out christmas or new years day. i can't wait...

@napilopez: that's a freaking big post XD

check this out:
Middle Tier:
Bowser
Low Tier:
Mario
Top Tier:
Metaknight
King Dedede
High Tier:
Kirby
High Tier:
Wolf
Middle Tier:
Fox
Low Tier:
Ganondorf
Link

Has the world gone mad?????
1) I doubt they would release a new tier list only a few months after the old one >_>
2) Those are all accurate. >_>

MK is 101% a Top tier

-:bowser:Bowser King

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
I've changed my views on tiers. In my opinion, there is a ranking of characters, but tiers are not the way to go. Here is 1 example.

Event 1: new smasher views tier list.

Event 2: as a result, said smasher is more likely to chose a top tier char (aka Meta Knight) than a bottom tier char (aka Captain Falcon).

Event 3: since more new smashers are choosing top tier characters, Metagame is mostly developed for those characters, reinforcing the tier list

Event 4: because of this, 3 things happen:

A) The character at the top of the tier list is guaranteed that position for years to come (take sheik in melee, for example)

B) Characters at the bottom are guaranteed to stay there (bowser in melee)

C) bottom tiers are seen less and less competitively, while top tiers are seen more and more often in tournaments

Here is another example of what happens:

Before tier list is released, only a few people say "Meta Knight is god" or "Captain Falcon sucks"

The tier list is released, and all of a sudden everyone is saying "Meta Knight is god" and "Captain Falcon sucks"

Hm. Sound strange to you?

This gives new members of smashboards the feeling that if they don't like Meta Knight, they're the odd one out.

I'm positive the following things would have the described results:

If Captain Falcon and Meta Knight had been switched in the tier list, Captain Falcon Metagame would have devoloped extremely quickly and everyone would be saying he was god

If Kirby had been listed as top tier in Melee, some awesome technique for Kirby would have been discovered that lets him kill at 5% or that his f-smash's tip spikes incredibly hard or something like that

If fox had been the bottom of the bottom in Melee the entire time, the waveshine would never have been discovered.

Many people will give me facts like "But Meta Knight has more wins than the next 7 people combined in tournaments! How could you say he shouldn't be top tier?" Guess what might've happened if Link was listed at the top?

The SBR told us with the 6th melee tier list (the april fools one) that their word was not the word of god, and I think the majority of smashers need to remember that.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Looks just right
Do you mean my argument, another argument, or the list? Whatever. To my post.

In this post, I would like to address the SLAPAHO argument that tiers exist. Their argument can be viewed here:http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/User:Semicolon/Treatise_on_the_Existence_of_Tiers.

One of the arguments they put forward says that the argument that I used (the "people switch to top tiers when the list comes out") is incorrect because it only applies to a small minority of people. I acknowledge that this (emphasis) may be true, but that I can contradict them with one of their own statements.

They have stated that "only the slightest change can make a difference in ranking" (not a direct quote, but something that they basically say). Remember that.

They say that there may be a few people who switch to MK and refuse to play as anyone else once the list comes out (I'm pretty sure that's about word-for-word).

Let's say out of, say, 1,000,000 smashers, 1000 are the smashers mentioned in the paragraph above (completely made up statistic). A few of these players, even if it's only one in every 100, may discover something that significantly increases MK metagame. Maybe something that gives him an even longer recovery, or that certain hitboxes of his attacks spike, or something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nkh6z4w3-uw&feature=related.

Now, remember that "only the slightest change can make a difference in ranking" quote I wanted you to remember?

This will also apply, to a smaller extent, to other top tiers (example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lgM7CJGANU&feature=related).

Now, let's take a bottom tier character. Maybe, CF, for example?

Of the 1,000,000 smashers (again) there are how many people who would go for CF upon seeing the tier list? Let's say 500. That would mean half as many techniques would be developed for him, but over time, it gets smaller.

That may not seem so bad, but CF would probably have more people for him, then, say, Zelda, because people would like to have bottom tiers boosted up more than #20. Maybe only 200 of those people would choose Zelda, so only 1/5th of the # of techniques for Meta Knight would be made for Zelda.

You may look at the numbers I have presented and say, "Hey! The numbers wouldn't even come close to a million! This guy's a f*cking r*tard!" I have 2 reasons as to why this is false:

1. I did not, ever, ever, say that these numbers were real. I merely gave such a huge number to give you an idea, that, even 1 in 1000 people (my given ratio of those Meta Knight chars) can make a difference, just like SLAPAHO said.

2. There will also be many people who will (like me), not choose who to play with because of the tier list.

If none of this has convinced you that tiers are the wrong way to go, I suggest buying a brain. They are located in the "Get Real" section of your local Wal-Mart.

greenflame88

Smash Cadet
I agree A1lion! Except Im a little content with the list... I main Lucas and I'm glad he just has to go up one spot to be middle tier... HE BEAT NESS! Lol. Anyone I totally understand what you mean cause when I got melee, I picked Sheik because everyone was using her... But I picked Lucas in this one and I'm stuck.

XD

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Thanks. I'm glad to see at least one person isn't insane. That proved my point from my first post this page completely. People picked Sheik b/c everyone was picking Sheik. And out of, 50 people, 2 or 3 came up with advanced techs, thus reinforcing sheik's status. Because of what happened with Sheik, I'm willing to bet MK just earned himself top of the top for years to come.

I'd better get credit for that some day.

No, seriously.

And by the way, if you think we're wrong because we're "n00bs", you're a nincompoop.

I personally believe I was saved from tiers. I probably would've chosen fox if I'd seen the tier list. But I picked Kirby, not knowing he was 3rd to last. By the time I knew, I'd become addicted to using him.

XienZo

Smash Lord
I think thats perfectly fine. More MK target practice for us non-tier-whorers.

Also, I'm not sure if its the members who are new to SWF and pick a main by glancing at the Tier List who are going to develop the metagame.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I'd better get credit for that in years to come.

No, seriously.
Nope.

Tiers exist and are a staple of just about every fighting game community on the globe. Have fun trying to alter a precedent that's been in place since like, the dawn of competitive fighting games. Oh, and another thing?

I need a brain.

Edit: And I played MK too when my interest in Brawl peaked. I got bored with him after a while and swapped over to Fox. Whenever I deign to play Barlw, that is.

Smooth Criminal

A1lion835

Smash Champion
All right, here it is. The waveland in brawl is different than that of Melee, because of the nature of the air dodge. Instead of being based on a character's traction, it is mostly based on horizontal air speed and somewhat on traction. If you are traveling quickly left or right, and, as you hit the ground, air dodge, you should put up a shield and slide. You can do one of a few things:

1. Skip the landing lag frames and frames of putting up a shield

2. Go straight from mid-air to a dodge

3. Go into a roll without landing lag or shield putting-up lag

4. Shield grab without landing or putting-up-shield-lag

5. You do not have to put up a shield, and can attack, tilt, edge-hog, etc., though this is hard to do.

I call this the Eggdash.

Edit: Sweet! I'm a smash child!

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Also, to you tier-idiots (must use that phrase more often!). Yoshi can waveland in Brawl. I want recognition as the first person (I think) to have discovered this and posted it here. In 15 minutes, it goes up.
Wow, "Brawl n00b" (maybe I should use this phrase more often. Because, you know, I'm a tier-idiot). You discovered Draconic (Dragonic) Reverse!

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=175060

Congrats! Just about everybody in the Yoshi boards has known this for months!

Next.

Smooth Criminal

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Actually, while I won't say my technique is nothing like it, it's different. You know the difference between wavedash and waveland, right? The mechanics, as well as what happens, are very different for the Eggdash and Dragonic Reverse. I won't say that "I developed Yoshi game incredibly" but my discovery is different, and has different uses (though it is similar).

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Actually, while I won't say my technique is nothing like it, it's different. You know the difference between wavedash and waveland, right? The mechanics, as well as what happens, are very different for the Eggdashing and Dragonic Reverse. I won't say that "I developed Yoshi game incredibly" but my discovery is different, and has different uses (though it is similar).
Um...

Okay. Go post this over in the Yoshi boards. I want to see their response to this. If they say it's a Draconic Reverse, you owe me 50 pushups. If it's something different and is actually useful, than I'll massage your ego for a week. If it turns out to be something different and is useless, well...I don't know.

Good deal?

P.S. I know what a waveland and wavedash are, FYI.

Smooth Criminal

XienZo

Smash Lord
Thats not actually the dragonic reverse, but it seems outclassed by the DR.

Um...

Okay. Go post this over in the Yoshi boards. I want to see their response to this. If they say it's a Draconic Reverse, you owe me 50 pushups. If it's something different and is actually useful, than I'll massage your ego for a week. If it turns out to be something different and is useless, well...I don't know.

Good deal?

P.S. I know what a waveland and wavedash are, FYI.

Smooth Criminal
His waveland requires a short hop. DR uses Yoshi's dip during his second jump combined with his waveland to do the same thing without ever leaving the ground.
In other words, DR seems to be an extension of what he discovered.

greenflame88

Smash Cadet
haha. I don't really know what's going on, but back to the teir list, lol, What exactly happened? DK near the top and C. Falcon dead last? I mean, I can't play AT ALL with Wario... I'm just a little confused by the teir list... but oh well. One day I will make Lucas go up to Middle! (BUAHAHAHA! I laugh at myself!)

XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom