• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official SBR-B Brawl Tier List v2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I never did say that the tier list is based solely on Tournament Results. I'm not the ******* you're trying to make me look like.

I repeat:
The SBR says that the mains should go out and prove that their characters are worthy to get higher in the tierlist.
The Sonic mains did. And it didn't help.

Besides, are you following Ankoku's Thread? The Ice Climbers are among the Top ranks! They are tied with Marth in terms of placement: Rank 7. They overtook Game & Watch.

And if we already take that one, look at what place Sonic has: 19.
Above Fox, Luigi, Zelda/Sheik, Ike, Peach, PT, Ness, Pit, Falcon, Mario, Yoshi, Lucas, Ganon, Jigglypuff, Bowser, Samus and Link. And almost all of those characters are above him in the tier list.

As said, I'm not dumb. I know how the tier list is made and how it works. But people like you are what makes the democratic system of the SBR so flawed. You don't care about the lower tier characters, and therefore you don't get information on them, making your vote as worthless like you think the Low Tier characters are.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
I never did say that the tier list is based solely on Tournament Results. I'm not the ******* you're trying to make me look like.

I'm not trying to make you look like anything, chill the **** out. How old are you? Calm down, wow.

I repeat:
The SBR says that the mains should go out and prove that their characters are worthy to get higher in the tierlist.
The Sonic mains did. And it didn't help.

Besides, are you following Ankoku's Thread? The Ice Climbers are among the Top ranks! They are tied with Marth in terms of placement: Rank 7. They overtook Game & Watch.

I try not to take Ankoku's thread to heart. It's a good source for statistics, but in terms of determining where characters place on the tier list, not quite so. By Ankoku's list, Sonic is better than Sheik, and that's just not the case.

And if we already take that one, look at what place Sonic has: 19.
Above Fox, Luigi, Zelda/Sheik, Ike, Peach, PT, Ness, Pit, Falcon, Mario, Yoshi, Lucas, Ganon, Jigglypuff, Bowser, Samus and Link. And almost all of those characters are above him in the tier list.

That's because almost all of those characters are better than him. Luigi, Zelda/Sheik, Ike, Peach, Pit, Mario. And the ones that aren't are lower than him. What's the problem?

As said, I'm not dumb. I know how the tier list is made and how it works. But people like you are what makes the democratic system of the SBR so flawed. You don't care about the lower tier characters, and therefore you don't get information on them, making your vote as worthless like you think the Low Tier characters are.
Well, yeah low tier characters pretty much are useless, and it's no surprise that I focus my efforts more towards higher tiers. However, besides a few mistakes, I'm confident in my votes for low tier, even if I DON'T think they matter. Just cuz I don't think they matter doesn't mean I blindly chose their spots.

Also, I'm curious of a few things. Where would you put Sonic on the tier list? What region do you live in, who do you play and how do you generally place?

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I'm not trying to make you look like anything, chill the **** out. How old are you? Calm down, wow.
I wouldn't know how my age has anything to do with that. I've posted several times into this thread stating how tournament results are NOT the only thing that matter, I explained how the tier list has been made several times, yet you come in and want to honestly explain to me that tournament results are not all that matter. That's the reason I reacted like that. If you want to see how old I am, check my profile, because I don't hide my age.

I try not to take Ankoku's thread to heart. It's a good source for statistics, but in terms of determining where characters place on the tier list, not quite so. By Ankoku's list, Sonic is better than Sheik, and that's just not the case.
Yes, but you should also take it INTO ACCOUNT. What you do is ignoring the fact that Sonic has been placing just because you don't think Sonic is good. He isn't good, no doubt about that, but what I am critizing is that you are going against what the SBR says, and that over and over again. All you do is "I AM RIGHT AND EVERYONE WHO OPPOSES MY OPINION IS STUPID AND I DON'T GIVE A **** ABOUT THEM."
And yes, that's really what you do.

That's because almost all of those characters are better than him. Luigi, Zelda/Sheik, Ike, Peach, Pit, Mario. And the ones that aren't are lower than him. What's the problem?
I just wanted to show how he has surpassed many parts of the cast which are FAR above him in the tier list. It's so apparent, that you shouldn't ignore it just because YOU think that Sonic is worse than his tournament results show. I mean, the Sonic mains agree on that he IS bad, but that doesn't mean that his tourney results have to be ignored.

Well, yeah low tier characters pretty much are useless, and it's no surprise that I focus my efforts more towards higher tiers. However, besides a few mistakes, I'm confident in my votes for low tier, even if I DON'T think they matter. Just cuz I don't think they matter doesn't mean I blindly chose their spots.
If they were useless, they wouldn't be played, or even included into the game. I enjoy playing as Low Tier characters.

Also, I'm curious of a few things. Where would you put Sonic on the tier list? What region do you live in, who do you play and how do you generally place?
Since I know little about Sonic, I wouldn't shuffle him around. As said: He is the prime example of what kind of hypocrisy is going on here. I don't main Sonic, I don't play him competetively, and I don't know enough to place him anywhere.
I live in Austria (Europe), I play Falco, Olimar and Bowser, and I can't place because we don't have any tournaments. Besides, MY personal experiences have nothing to do with what bullcrap you give from yourself. And, additionally to that - one can be knowledgeable about the game without placing too well. And I will NEVER place well because of a heredetary defect on my fingers making my reaction time slower. Yet I do think that I have at least enough of a knowledge about the game to argue with you about this.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
I understand everything that you're saying, but WHERE DO YOU THINK HE SHOULD BE PLACED ON THE TIER LIST? I posted to you my list, which I then stated my reasoning for where he is, which is also much higher than the official tier list.

"I just wanted to show how he has surpassed many parts of the cast which are FAR above him in the tier list. It's so apparent, that you shouldn't ignore it just because YOU think that Sonic is worse than his tournament results show."

Sonic is HIGHER ON MY LIST THAN HE IS ON THE OFFICIAL TIER LIST, WTF? I took that into account? What exactly are you trying to prove?!?!

Are you saying he should be placed higher on my list? I did all I could to place him as high as I could wtf?

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
The only thing I'm trying to get from you is acknowledging that Low Tier characters are part of the game and therefore deserve to be talked about as much as Meta Knight or Snake.

As said: I don't know much about Sonic, therefore I wouldn't place him anywhere, but I do have posted some tier list in this thread. And although Sonic was pretty low on that one (as said, I know too little about Sonic's potential to shuffle him around), a Sonic main (!) said that this was the best tier list he saw until now - except for Sonic's abysmal placement.
Here's the post: http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=6626759&postcount=2632

I repeat that this list was made on my personal opinion based on my experiences on the characters (i.e. what I know of them, videos I've seen, their MUs, etc.). Since I know next to nothing on Sonic, I didn't put him higher or so (he would be E tier if I would put him normally, but the steak tier is a joke, so don't hop on that one.).

Your vote on Sonic was acceptable, but I can only say what I said: He is the prime example of people not taking tournament results into account.
I still don't get the 9 points for Mario and the 11 for Luigi, some other stuff on the lower half is a bit oddly looking, but other than that, it's decent.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Ok, it's good that you acknowledge that your tier list is a bit off, and as you said it is. It's a lot harder making an acceptable tier list than you think, especially when everyone wants something different. I tried my hardest to make mine good, and made some crucial decisions (Sonic being one of them.)

I don't think that Low Tier characters should be talked about as much as Snake or Meta Knight. The best players in the world are using these characters, some people making their living off of the earnings they win with these characters. They are the most used, most studied and have the best players (for the most part) using them. How do lower tier characters deserve to be talked about as much? I mean, the ones that do good like ZSS sure. Snakeee takes games off of M2K, consistently places top 5 in tournaments with her in one of the best regions in the world.

Also, let me get this straight. When you say "He is the prime example of people not taking tournament results into account," you mean the REST of the SBR, since they placed him lower. Not me right? If that's the case, you should take back what you said earlier about wishing people like me weren't in the SBR. As you can see, I'm one of the few that took their time and thought it out about the low tiers, even if I did make a few mistakes, and even when I don't think low tiers matter at all. Like I said, I don't let personal bias judge my actions.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Yes. With that I mean the rest of the SBR.

However, what bugs me with your attitude is that the SBR is meant to represent the competetive Smash community, right? Now... If you say "I don't give a **** about the community", then - again, my personal opinion - I don't see how you should fit into the SBR.

You can think whatever you want about any character, I couldn't care less, but honestly. Saying that people trying to place with their characters lower on the tier list are stupid and that they should use Meta Knight... that's not really supporting the community feeling. It's rather creating an even bigger cleft between the SBR and the community they try to represent.

Saying that ROB is an easy character who requires no skill to learn because you don't like him is the same kind. That's the same if I said Brawl in general takes no skill - which isn't true.

As said: All I'm trying to get from you is a "Okay, I was wrong, and I apologize to people maining Low Tier characters." - seeing how you insulted them. And I don't even play a Low Tier character, yet I felt insulted of your words. It was a direct attack at the communtiy coming from an "official".

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
wow...

wowowwowowowowowowow...

wowowowowowowowowowowowowowowow...

i thought people were supposed to take subjectivity out of this voting...

i cant believe this.

You only think Ike is better than sonic because Ike has a halfway decent match against snake whereas sonic kinda gets lit up. And because youve been beaten by said Ike in tourney multiple times.

I cant believe you have the nerve to say that youve never seen a sonic player beat a good player with a good character. WTF. Malcolm has beaten M2K before. But I would understand if you didnt count that, cus there are no vids of it. But WTF were you doing at your last tourney? I personally beat the meta knight who won our last big tourney. But you still havent seen a good sonic beat a good character?

thats low yo.

Even if the tourney ranking isnt the end all be all, theres still a statement to be taken when according to that, sonic has been better than Mario, ike, shiek, zelda, bowser, and yoshi, and has been going back and forth alternating places with wolf for the last 11 months. So even if tourneys even account for only 50% of what goes into tier lists, he should still be better than Ike, Bowser and Yoshi.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
As said: All I'm trying to get from you is a "Okay, I was wrong, and I apologize to people maining Low Tier characters." - seeing how you insulted them. And I don't even play a Low Tier character, yet I felt insulted of your words. It was a direct attack at the communtiy coming from an "official".
this is 100% warrented and im waiting for it as well

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
I don't even play vBrawl so I'm not sure why I'm posting this:

Though he is arrogant and coming off as sort of a ****, Jesiah is right. The main focus should be getting the top of the tier list as balanced and accepted as possible, before sorting out the lower half. For the time being, low tiers just aren't a priority. Just gotta buck up and take it in stride.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend

Though he is arrogant and coming off as sort of a ****, Jesiah is right. The main focus should be getting the top of the tier list as balanced and accepted as possible, before sorting out the lower half. For the time being, low tiers just aren't a priority. Just gotta buck up and take it in stride.
Even if he should be right (which I, honestly, don't think), that still doesn't justify that he insults these characters and people maining them, calling them stupid. That's what's bugging me so much at him. He insults the part of the community playing Low Tier characters (and ROB, for that matter) and says he doesn't gives a **** about it, although the SBR is supposed to be the official representation of said community.

.Marik

is a social misfit
Even if he should be right (which I, honestly, don't think), that still doesn't justify that he insults these characters and people maining them, calling them stupid. That's what's bugging me so much at him. He insults the part of the community playing Low Tier characters (and ROB, for that matter) and says he doesn't gives a **** about it, although the SBR is supposed to be the official representation of said community.
This. ^

10char

Umby

Smash Master
While I think Jesiah is making himself look somewhat like an asshole right now, goodoldganon brings to light something pretty important.

Since everyone pressured the SBR to get a tier list out, it's obvious that they wanted an accurate list so that they could compare their characters to everyone else.

But also, since everyone pressured the SBR to get a tier list out, they have to deal with the fact that the SBR is going to be in control of how it is structured and how the characters are placed. If you can't understand that, and furthermore can't deal with that, then you shouldn't have been urging to get a list out so quickly.

In this case, it seems the SBR wants to focus more on high tier characters than low tier characters, and that's just fine for now. As stated before, a number of people want to learn more about their main threats in tournament, which is often characters placing higher in the tier list. Once that's analyzed, THEN we can move further down the tier list and create an accurate placing.

See, once again, many of us are trying to rush the tier list. Think about how controversial the placements in the lower tiers are (especially from the arguments of Sonic and Yoshi mains). There's no way to make an accurate placing for them right now until everyone can collectively focus on those tiers at once. We have to take it slowly.

I also don't completely condone the use of the tournament placings thread in these arguments. There's the natural response that some of the tournaments might not be "important" and are "full of scrubs," but besides that, I can recall an argument from AlphaZealot about Marth not being the best character in Melee, yet was able to place first consistently in national tournaments as compared to other top/high tiers. This hints that just because a character consistently places well in tournaments in comparison to other characters, that doesn't necessarily warrant them a higher placing on a tier list than certain characters. It just means they often do better in a tournament scene. It possibly means that such a character is more tournament viable than others.

While tournament results should account for some portion of consideration (after all, a good character in the hands of a good players is often more liable to place higher than a bad character in the hands of a good player), it's never any true justification for any change in placement save for those that are arguably some of the best characters (MK, Snake, Falco, Dedede). All that with respect to the lesser characters who place well consistently.

So, badly typed rant = Stop complaining about low tier. Just slow down and wait a while until we can accurately analyze those tiers. Tournament results matter, just not as much as you want them to/think they do.

On an added note, aimed at Jesiah, there's nothing wrong with diversity in tournaments. We often try to cleave the concept of "fun" from tournaments and treat it like serious business, but how do you explain the boredom most encounter with watching something like Meta Knight dittos? Diversity not only makes a tournament more entertaining, but even in the not-so-best of matchups, different characters put each other in distict situations that show their ability to adapt to each matchup and further exhibit their skill, generally speaking. There are also those who aim simply to be the best at a certain character and try to prove that in brackets. There's nothing really wrong with that.

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
I agree with everything Umby just stated. I also have been saying that the SBR-B is stupid since the game came out, though.

I don't know why they even bothered listening to the pressure they were getting. The attitude they have been putting off is that "we don't need to do anything". Actually, I believe Overswarm said that once himself in a debate I had with him and a few others.

So stupid.

EDIT - Does everyone know that the SBR is mostly made up of the Mid West? I also find that interesting....

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Best tier list thus far

this is what 2.0 should have looked like.

God Tier
Meta Knight 15.00

Uber Tier
Snake 13.91

Top Tier
Falco 13.03
King Dedede 12.94
Mr. Game & Watch 12.50
Marth 12.09
Diddy Kong 11.94
Wario 11.47
R.O.B. 11.38

High Tier
Lucario 10.94
Olimar 10.94
Pikachu 10.34
Kirby 10.16
Donkey Kong 10.06
Ice Climbers 9.59

Mid, low and bottom Tiers
We'll get back to you on that.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I mostly agree with you, Umby, though there is one paragraph I'd like to specifically comment on...

So, badly typed rant = Stop complaining about low tier. Just slow down and wait a while until we can accurately analyze those tiers. Tournament results matter, just not as much as you want them to/think they do.
This right here.

Jesiah said that Low Tier mains should stop playing LT characters and play as Meta Knight instead. How can we accurately analyze those characters and their placement on the list if noone plays them?

And, I repeat: Even IF the Low Tier is not important to Tournament Players for their competetion, they still are there, and it still does NOT justify Jesiah - or any other representative of the Smash community, for that matter - to call the people playing these characters stupid.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Obviously there's nothing wrong with playing low tiers lol, its just me. I rather watch an mk ditto and look at the mindgames behind the match then watching a low tier either get obliterated or struggle just trying to keep up. A good example is Devas link vs DSFs Snake. All I saw was a spot dodge spammy link that rolled, ran away and threw stuff. How is that fun to watch? I rather watch a Snake ditto, at least maybe I'll learn something then.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Obviously there's nothing wrong with playing low tiers lol, its just me. I rather watch an mk ditto and look at the mindgames behind the match then watching a low tier either get obliterated or struggle just trying to keep up. A good example is Devas link vs DSFs Snake. All I saw was a spot dodge spammy link that rolled, ran away and threw stuff. How is that fun to watch? I rather watch a Snake ditto, at least maybe I'll learn something then.
Well what about CF/Ganon dittos? Those are awesome, don't deny it.
And I remember a video of a CF beating a decent MK, what about that, eh? Pretty sweet, right?

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
A good example is Devas link vs DSFs Snake. All I saw was a spot dodge spammy link that rolled, ran away and threw stuff. How is that fun to watch? I rather watch a Snake ditto, at least maybe I'll learn something then.
And this is where I lost the little respect I had remaining for you.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
I cant believe you have the nerve to say that youve never seen a sonic player beat a good player with a good character. WTF. Malcolm has beaten M2K before. But I would understand if you didnt count that, cus there are no vids of it. But WTF were you doing at your last tourney? I personally beat the meta knight who won our last big tourney. But you still havent seen a good sonic beat a good character?
I don't consider anyone in our area good, tbh. Not even me or Neil really.

Yeah, you beat Owna, and when I saw you playing it was actually pretty incredible. I saw you thinking like most people in our area never have before, abusing hitboxes, jumping over predicted MK Dsmashes and reverse Baring. It was all impressive, but I was just thinking:

Wow if Kyle's so smart, why is he wasting his time with such a bad character. Imagine if he put this much thinking into an actual character. Who did you lose to that tourney btw? I bet you would have beaten them if you used a better character.

Browny

Smash Hater
hahaha omg

yeah, you'd rather watch the same match youve seen 9000 times, then a low tier beating a top tier. MAYBE if you paid attention to devas link, you would see that low tier mainers have found ways to beat high tiers by abusing thier attributes? while link may have a bad recovery and slow attacks, his spotdodge is still one of the best and incredible projectile spam and range.

but for as long as you ignore that and believe 'lol recovery' link will never be able to beat a top tier right?

pathetic

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
You just made enemies of the entire state of Washington.
And Idaho (not like we matter)
lol.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581

The Upper half of the tier list is already accurate.

I suppose 3.0 will be a bit more accurate with the lower half *hint hint.*

It will never be accurate unless they give Sonic his own Steak tier though, and we all that will never happen.

...Or will it...?

Youko, what do you have to say about this?

Lawz.

The Original Deadpool Fan
NNID
Lawz_Fearless

yet watching snake do tilts is more fun to watch? deva did good against DSF in BOTH matches. facing snake's tilts with Link is too hard to do. i don't see a good reason for bashing someone who uses a character that requires "THROWING STUFF". Link's entire playstyle revolves around spam. if i wanted to sound retarted i could say that all DSF did was use tilts the whole match. but that just sounds stupid doesn't it?

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Actually, it's not the spamming that I didn't like. It was mainly all the dodging that I found unimpressive, and I was even more unimpressed that DSF couldn't get around it. I mean, sure he won, but is that indicative of skill? You have to look at the whys and hows behind it. Quite honestly, if you dodge everytime someone gets close to you, eventually someones gonna mess your **** up.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I don't consider anyone in our area good, tbh. Not even me or Neil really.

Yeah, you beat Owna, and when I saw you playing it was actually pretty incredible. I saw you thinking like most people in our area never have before, abusing hitboxes, jumping over predicted MK Dsmashes and reverse Baring. It was all impressive, but I was just thinking:

Wow if Kyle's so smart, why is he wasting his time with such a bad character. Imagine if he put this much thinking into an actual character. Who did you lose to that tourney btw? I bet you would have beaten them if you used a better character.
funny thing about the bolded part is that if I had switched characters to win that set with asylum, i would have switched to Fox, who is actually WORSE on your list as a character than sonic is...

lol@ irony

and I also lost to neil, who would have beat me no matter who i picked seeing as pika pretty much counters all of my characters. and i know the (albeit, really stupid) matchup best with sonic.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
In relation to the cast, look at their matchups.

Ness' matchups>>>Lucas'
...I never said that Ness is worse then Lucas (I in fact agreed that he's better, see "right"), I'm not arguing that. I'm saying in relation to the rest of the cast, they both should be right next to each other.

Gaaawsh.

Browny

Smash Hater
Actually, it's not the spamming that I didn't like. It was mainly all the dodging that I found unimpressive, and I was even more unimpressed that DSF couldn't get around it. I mean, sure he won, but is that indicative of skill? You have to look at the whys and hows behind it. Quite honestly, if you dodge everytime someone gets close to you, eventually someones gonna mess your **** up.
you just shoot down your credibility every time you post

ever considered that dodging is the best way to beat snake? Good luck punishing Oos when his ridiculous tilts push you back a mile. Once again, a low tier character has found a way to abuse a top tier characters weakness, and all you can do is call it scrubby, even though he won. Also let me get this clear, are you implying that Deva is 'unimpressive' or 'not skillful'? I mean seriously, you did not just do that...

I cant wait for your next post lol... should be even better. I need moar laughs

Also im lol'ing at how no other SBR member is coming here to argue with you on this Jesiah... youre all alone in this war of words. maybe time to realise how ridiculous your statements are?

aeghrur

Smash Champion
...I never said that Ness is worse then Lucas (I in fact agreed that he's better, see "right"), I'm not arguing that. I'm saying in relation to the rest of the cast, they both should be right next to each other.

Gaaawsh.
Close to each other, NOT THE SAME THOUGH.
Seriously, everyone knows Ness>>>Lucas so... why are they in the same SPOT?
It's like giving MK and Snake the Tier of "top" with Falco.
>_>

:093:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom