• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The *Official* Pittsburgh Melee Weeklies Thread of the LoL WoW Love

D20

Smash Lord
I will be at Duquesne tomorrow starting at around 1pm. However, I will be working on a paper, so I don't know how many games I will be playing. The paper is on "The Awakening," so if anyone has any experience with that text feel free to help me.

Engel

Smash Journeyman
I just realized I haven't shot a missile in weeks.

Looks like I'll have some catching up to do tomorrow ;)

Vudujin

Smash Lord
"Name?"
"Mario Mario"
"Your name's Mario Mario"
"yeah"
"How about you?"
"Luigi"
"Lemme guess Luigi Luigi"
"No, Luigi Mario!"

best movie dialogue ever.

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
hadn't watched g4 for a month until today.

olivia is still the hottest looking female I have ever seen

she was also on the George Lopez late night show...she said my name on national TV. holy ****

Vyke

Smash Champion
Tim or Swiftbass? Maybe Fast Fish? Also, did her career drop that fast?

Funny note, I made Bronzed Sea Bass today. I'm not sure how fast they are, but I -was- thinking of Tim whenever I scorched them.

Hahaha...

Haha...

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
Tim or Swiftbass? Maybe Fast Fish? Also, did her career drop that fast?

Funny note, I made Bronzed Sea Bass today. I'm not sure how fast they are, but I -was- thinking of Tim whenever I scorched them.

Hahaha...

Haha...

nah she is gonna be on the cover of maxim next month. she is also in a few indie/select theatre films. she had a small role in a small 2min spin off of heros . She has a part in iron man 2 coming out later next year. also shes in an upcoming Steve Carell/Tina Fey comedy by the name of "Date Night". she is gonna blow up!!!!!!!!!

Rose

Smash Journeyman
itinerary for Friday:

-> pick up aaron's cards at Wombats
-> existential angst
-> **** everybody in pittsburgh with bowser, get hood rich
-> put a candle in a paper boat and cast it onto the river in solemn respect of my fallen opponents

I have a set-up. I might be doin other **** in pitt, so might not smash til 10pm, or not at all. Will people mostly be at Duq or CMU?

D20

Smash Lord
I am currently at the NiteSpot. I do NOT have a copy of Melee or a memory card. I don't have a controller either. Bring stuff if you want to play!

D20

Smash Lord
Naka... come to Duquesne. CMU is going to be lame.

In other news, Pool C:

England
The United States
Algeria
Slovenia

Taki... get *****.

AprilShaw

aka Logan
ALAN.

Holy crap.

If you come to Pitt tomorrow Alan, we can get in like a best of 35 Falco ditto on a screen larger than you me and Gerald put together (CRT too, no lag). Make it happen.

Cobalt

Smash Journeyman
Yay, I got third in CMU's tourney and won a copy of Left 4 Dead 2 because of it!

That said, I'll definitely be at Duquesne next week, guys.

Skyshroud

Smash Ace
Just feel like venting 'cause I'm getting too frustrated with myself at the moment, which I think is putting a huge mental block on me getting better.

I suck at Smash. I was playing some friendlies with Logan on Monday, and we were just screwing around and going random. Towards the end of the night, I get Ganon on random, and, quite obviously, I stick with him. I get destroyed. Then, something hit me like a massive brick wall. I realized I'm not really any better at Smash than when I started playing in September; I'm just somewhat better at Ganondorf. All of the things I've added to my game are just because they work for Ganondorf. I just do them, and I don't really apply them in the right situations. I just use different things to change patterns when the ones I'm using start to be punished. So, I need someone to teach me how to play Smash in general. Then I can learn to play Ganondorf when I'm actually good at this game.

I also have problems playing against people. When I'm in my room practicing by myself, I don't even recognize me as the person controlling the character. It's infinitely smoother and more intelligent. I've come to believe that the issue is when I'm just practicing, I only have to think about tech skill and movement. My game changes dramatically when I'm faced with another living entity on the field. All of the sudden, I just break back into old, terrible patterns and abysmal tech skill. How do I let go and just play like I know I'm capable of.

Like I said, I'm just frustrated and don't know where else to go right now. It seems like everytime I think I get better, I play a real match and all of the sudden I'm the same old person again. Something needs to get me out of this rut so I can actually improve. Suggestions?

AprilShaw

aka Logan
A wise man, name Unknown, once said (I'm paraphrasing):

An amateur practices til he gets it right. An expert practices til he can't get it wrong.

When it comes to tech skill, it sucks, but you gotta just practice practice practice. You CANNOT think "wavedash," and think of how you have to do it, and think of the timing, etc. You just have to DO it. The same goes for L-cancelling; if you have to tell yourself, OK L-cancel now, you won't be able to focus on the actual match. Once you master these things, and I mean absolutely master them by yourself, you will still fail at them when playing against people. If you're like me, one day it'll all just click and you'll be twenty times as good.

As for the mental aspect of your game, frustration kills in Smash. You can tell when someone's frustrated, too. It becomes really obvious. Everyone has their own thing they do when they're frustrated. Usually people just throw out kill moves hoping one will hit, which is a terrible idea and will just make them more frustrated. For me, I stop trying to move around the stage and start going for shield pressure and technical stuff that I can't actually do correctly. I also stop watching my opponent and start relying on Fox/Falco's best moves, which gets me *****. I've gotten better with it now, simply because I realize that I'm not as good as people like Taki/Rob/Aaron/etc. but I'm getting better. For you, you just have to find some way to not get frustrated. I've told you this before and you always seem to ignore me when I say it, but your frustration is what makes you play so badly against me. It's what made you mess up everything as Ganon too I'm sure.

Another thing is, going random isn't going to help you learn "smash" at all. I mean, it's obviously better than not playing, but it would be much better to settle on one faster character and play them. Play against a level one computer and just move around the stage. Movement is so crucial in smash, and is in my opinion the aspect of my game I need to work on the most (probably tied with comboing, lol). The character has to feel like a natural extension of you. If you want a great example, go watch Mew2King's Marth, then watch a good Marth, who isn't on the same level as m2k (even one like G$ or HBK). You can tell that M2K's Marth is practically part of him, just by the way he moves. Other Marths (not including people like Ken obviously) can still ****, but you can really see the awkwardness they have compared to M2K.

Now, if you want my honest advice at getting better, I already told you, learn all your tech skill with Fox. It's not necessary but if you can do stuff with Fox you can do it with anyone (except Yoshi, but I highly doubt you'll end up maining Yoshi). Remember though, that's just a suggestion, take it if you will. It'll get your tech skill down much faster, then you can focus on the rest of the game. Anyways, when you're playing, especially against me, DON'T get frustrated. Sure, losing sucks, but I mean, I learned about the competitive smash scene when Sheik was the best character in the game. I've been playing a LONG time, I've got better tech skill, I've got more experience, and I've learned almost all your patterns. So don't expect to win, yet. Try to win, hope to win, but don't expect to win. The same thing I do against people at Duquesne, or in tourney, etc. I think if you focus more on just playing and having fun, you'll get a lot better than if you try and focus on everything you're doing wrong.

Just my 2 cents.

Oh also, today, I think the best I've ever played this game was my Falco vs Aaron's Sheik on Dreamland. I feel like I lost because I messed up all my combos, but I made incredible reads and got free grabs/shines/dairs on him and I actually observed him and picked up on his patterns (and I mean more than just teching patterns, lol). Sorry if that makes me sound like a jerk but I'm proud of myself :D

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
Just feel like venting 'cause I'm getting too frustrated with myself at the moment, which I think is putting a huge mental block on me getting better.

I suck at Smash. I was playing some friendlies with Logan on Monday, and we were just screwing around and going random. Towards the end of the night, I get Ganon on random, and, quite obviously, I stick with him. I get destroyed. Then, something hit me like a massive brick wall. I realized I'm not really any better at Smash than when I started playing in September; I'm just somewhat better at Ganondorf. All of the things I've added to my game are just because they work for Ganondorf. I just do them, and I don't really apply them in the right situations. I just use different things to change patterns when the ones I'm using start to be punished. So, I need someone to teach me how to play Smash in general. Then I can learn to play Ganondorf when I'm actually good at this game.

I also have problems playing against people. When I'm in my room practicing by myself, I don't even recognize me as the person controlling the character. It's infinitely smoother and more intelligent. I've come to believe that the issue is when I'm just practicing, I only have to think about tech skill and movement. My game changes dramatically when I'm faced with another living entity on the field. All of the sudden, I just break back into old, terrible patterns and abysmal tech skill. How do I let go and just play like I know I'm capable of.

Like I said, I'm just frustrated and don't know where else to go right now. It seems like everytime I think I get better, I play a real match and all of the sudden I'm the same old person again. Something needs to get me out of this rut so I can actually improve. Suggestions?
stop practicing tech skill by yourself for a while. make the only time you play when you face ppl. if u must practice tech by yourself practice certain things only. Isolate a certain thing and do it over and over.(i did this with foxes waveland from the ledge(kinda still do). You will find that its harder than you think to resist the impulse to do what you usually do and get lost just flying around the stage with random tech skill. I rly encourage you to not play by yourself for a while and only play ppl though. It'll develop urgency and get rid of some bad habits u may have picked up while practicing by yourself.

Take note of what you are doing in situations where you get punished. look at the consequences of all of your decisions in game. If falco grabs the ledge and you see yourself keep getting hit by his ledge hop double lazer > some move. then look at what you do b4 the falco ledge hops and shoots you. you kinda gotta have an out of body thing going.

You gotta see the game but you also have to see yourself playing the game. ppl do so many things on reflex and out of habit. take that step back and concentrate....look at what decisions you make in game and ask yourself "why am i doing this?" ....."is what i am doing significant?"....."is what I am doing completing any objective?"

try dat

edit:some ppl make this game look easy. for some of us it takes alot of focus. I can barely play smash at a competitive level for a whole length of a tourney. I get mentally drained while others like cactuar/mew2king/jman/eggm can play friendlies with you until the end of time, turn around and play tourney matches back to back to back.

Skyshroud

Smash Ace
Logan, it's not just as simple as, "Don't get frustrated." It's the most annoying thing in the world to know to do something but just not be able to do it. Telling myself to just ignore it doesn't solve the problem, it just masks it.

AprilShaw

aka Logan
I'm not telling you to ignore it, I'm telling you to accept it.

Accept that you can't do things and the fact that you can't do them will be much easier. Accept that what you do by yourself against a level one computer will always be leagues ahead of what you do against another person.

Also listen to Tim, because he ***** :)

Rose

Smash Journeyman
sky:
this is a game. a silly nintendo game about kicking pikachu in the **** with fox mccloud. don't invest your self-esteem into it.

everybody:
me and matt will be at a multi-game tournament in Beaver saturday. Legit comp for ITG/DDR/GH/SF4. Possibility of smash friendlies/mini tourney. Possibility I can house ppl.
Edit: also, smash is happening sunday at Wombat&Chips.

Top Bottom