• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The *Official* Pittsburgh Melee Weeklies Thread of the LoL WoW Love

TheLake

Smash Master
I wanna sing with jacob.

Whoever i ride with

know 2 things

I will sing disney

loudly

and I probably wont have clothes on

I said it

Your move america.

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
Takis car is
Me Taki Johny amine and Davey

I believe tedium is going with Slamus

Erie guys. Roh and Travis and Jacob? Are going together.

Leaving chris aaron rob and D.A. SHUFFLA

:phone:

Screw you, Google Chrome.

Shuffla is a word.

PGH Carroll

Smash Master
Oh yeah. Also ambix. Lol sorry to many smashers.

Also, call it what you want but im probably not gonna come to duq Friday if were all playing cards.. Last time everyone played cards and the only people I played were Taki Johny and Davey.. And like one match with Gerald. But I play them all the time.

Republican0fHeaven

Smash Ace
I will sing disney

loudly

and I probably wont have clothes on
good teenagers take off your clothes... lol can't beat this, though you gotta learn your tangled stuff

I will be driving to Erie from Pittsburgh on Friday then leaving to MI in either my or travis' or jacob's car. Prob travis' car.. Other than me and travis: 80% chance we'll have room for 3 more.. 20% chance my friend Jesse (Puppetmaster) will come along and we'd have room for two.

Also we'll have space at our hotel for any that are interested. We're bringing two setups so we'll have two setups in the hotel room if more people stay with us..

and cookies
cookies muh'fuka!

jbro

Smash Ace
Oh yeah. Also ambix. Lol sorry to many smashers.

Also, call it what you want but im probably not gonna come to duq Friday if were all playing cards.. Last time everyone played cards and the only people I played were Taki Johny and Davey.. And like one match with Gerald. But I play them all the time.

maybe we can get something together at the crib tomorrow* for anyone in the area that actually wants to smash. it's a win-win. on one hand, we get to practice. on the other hand, we get to be lazy and not actually have to go anywhere.

think of the possibilities!

*i didn't realize it was thursday already holy ****

Peerless Kingdom

Smash Rookie
Emma Watson's Boyfriend said:
0.999999.... == 1

Discuss.
I prefer the proof I recently learned that there exist two irrational numbers a and b such that a^b is rational.

Let both a and b be √2. Then we raise √2^(√2). If it is rational, we're done. If it isn't rational, then we let a = √2^(√2), and raise this to √2. We can multiply the powers which gives us √2 * √2 = 2.

This leaves us with √2^2 = 2, which is rational.

The best part is we don't even know which of these two situations works because we don't know the rationality of √2^(√2), but the proof guarantees that at least one of them works!

ReadySetGo

Smash Ace
Neither of the examples he gave are actually valid when considering a proof. 1 =/= .9999... 1 is approximately .999... they are not numerically equivalent. They proof using 's' only works if you already assume that you believe .99999...=1, otherwise it can be contradictory. Let's look at his second example but instead use another non-ending number pi. Calculators tell us pi=3.141592654, rounding the last digit up (creating an approximation of pi). But in reality pi=3.1415926535... There between these two numbers is 0.0000000005, when is should be 0 if they were both truly pi. But as we know from grade school rounding numbers changes the number. So if you want to say .9999...=1 then you will inevitably need to round .999... much like you do with pi, thus changing the number creating an approximation of the real number. Thus, .999.. is a real number and must be exclusively different from 1, another real number.

This is not a proof, but then again neither are the examples that man gives in his video.

EDIT: Another idea I thought of. .999... is irrational as it cannot be represented by a ratio of integers, however 1 can and therefore is rational. So it is impossible for 1 to be both rational and irrational therefore 1=/=.9999

I prefer the proof I recently learned that there exist two irrational numbers a and b such that a^b is rational.

Let both a and b be √2. Then we raise √2^(√2). If it is rational, we're done. If it isn't rational, then we let a = √2^(√2), and raise this to √2. We can multiply the powers which gives us √2 * √2 = 2.

This leaves us with √2^2 = 2, which is rational.

The best part is we don't even know which of these two situations works because we don't know the rationality of √2^(√2), but the proof guarantees that at least one of them works!
There exists proofs aren't really the coolest because you only need to show it for 1 case. This same statement was also proven using log(4) and sqrt(10), which is far more direct. [sqrt(10)]^[log(4)]=2

Nothing really exciting here.

TheLake

Smash Master
Im at my house right now naka but ill see if i can get my car for the afternoon to get to johns let alone dusq.

Buford go to the big house ma doo you know how i do

Top Bottom