• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The *Official* Pittsburgh Melee Weeklies Thread of the LoL WoW Love

AprilShaw

aka Logan
Neither of the examples he gave are actually valid when considering a proof. 1 =/= .9999... 1 is approximately .999... they are not numerically equivalent. They proof using 's' only works if you already assume that you believe .99999...=1, otherwise it can be contradictory. Let's look at his second example but instead use another non-ending number pi. Calculators tell us pi=3.141592654, rounding the last digit up (creating an approximation of pi). But in reality pi=3.1415926535... There between these two numbers is 0.0000000005, when is should be 0 if they were both truly pi. But as we know from grade school rounding numbers changes the number. So if you want to say .9999...=1 then you will inevitably need to round .999... much like you do with pi, thus changing the number creating an approximation of the real number. Thus, .999.. is a real number and must be exclusively different from 1, another real number.

This is not a proof, but then again neither are the examples that man gives in his video.

EDIT: Another idea I thought of. .999... is irrational as it cannot be represented by a ratio of integers, however 1 can and therefore is rational. So it is impossible for 1 to be both rational and irrational therefore 1=/=.9999
0.9 repeating can be expressed by a fraction of integers. You're just not used to writing it that way is all. It's the same as how we write "pi" instead of "3.14159...". 1 is a more convenient way of writing .9r than writing out .999999... every time. But you could use .999999... in any math equation that uses 1 and it will work out in every situation, because it is mathematically equivalent to 1.

to show that it can be expressed by a fraction, take the number "0.1". If I multiply this by 9, I get "0.9". If I multiply "0.11" by 9, I get "0.99", if you multiply "0.11111111111" by 9, you get "0.99999999999" (I hope I got the same number of digits lol), and so on. So if you multiply 0.111111... by 9, you will get 0.999999..., which means that if you multiply 1/9 by 9, you get 0.9 repeating. So, 0.999999... = 9/9. This can be shown for other fractions like 1/3, and you can do it with, say, 1/3 + 2/3 instead of multiplying.

Edit: And if the proofs in this thread aren't sophisticated enough for you (though they are real and legitimate proofs), check out this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/0.999...

Also, in your first proof about rounding, if we could read/write infinite length numbers, we wouldn't need to round :p.

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
Im Taki Boumaza.
I'm 5 time world champion of super smash brothers melee. The game is about building up your opponents persentage and knocking them off the screen.

:phone:
I think you meant: "I'm Taki Boumaza.

I'm FIVE TIME

FIVE TIME

FIVE TIME

FIVE TIME

FIVE TIME, world SSBM Champion!

CAN YOU DIG THAT, SUCKAAAAAAAA?!!!!!"

Sooooo, who's driving Shuffles?

I'll provide comic relief.

Nakamaru

Smash Master
I'd ask either Roh or swanny. Takis car is full and I like you alive so I didn't mention Slamus.. Lol

I've stated that i don't want to drive to MI. This is because of where i live currently. It's an hour drive to pittsburgh, 3 to erie if RoH and Vudu don't want to drive, then another 6 to the tournament. I offered to drive to RoM at the end of november if someone doesn't mind driving to MI.

So again, Who the hell is going/interested in going to MI. Who is willing to drive, and what can we do for housing. Lets not do this car by car. Instead why don't we try to communicate so we can get everyone that wants to go there without as little hassle as possible.

So far i have: 14 possibly 15 if D20 wants to go

Silent Swag
Taki
Carrol
Lake
Shuffla
Vudu
RoH
Davey
Slamus
Tedium
Amine
Travis
Cavedweller
and Myself

Carrol has housing for 7. So we need housing for 7/8 more as well as two more cars going.

Taki is driving so thats 5 including him

D20 Might drive

Lets please not end thinking about travel at ourselves. We can get everyone who wants to go there with ease. If we start here we'll be able to do it for RoM as well. Keeping pittsburgh as a heavy supporter for tournaments which will mean that later on down the road when we start holding our own people will (hopefully) be more likely to make the drive. Which means we can turn pittsburgh into an awesome place for midwest vs east coast tournaments. This is something Myself and Lake really want to have happen. I've talked to carrol about it and between the 3 of us we can do it. But it starts here. thats why i'm pressing the issue this hard.

May come off more aggressive than i want, but really it's the only thing i know. Lets do this.

Vudujin

Smash Lord
I can drive. I just gotta get my car inspected.

Gio's got my back for housing.

I'll be leaving Friday night.

I got 4 slots open.

TheLake

Smash Master
Naka lets go with jacob!

I want to ride with jacob!

I SAY BRITAIN

YOU SAY TALENT

BRITAIN'S GOT TALENT ITS THE DJ TALENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PGH Carroll

Smash Master
Taki and amine have their own housing. An old friend of theirs.

So me Johny Davey Jacob Naka lake and shuffles can say at gios

Everyone else pack into Rohs hotel?

So thats Roh, cave dweller, Slamus, tedium and possibly rob.

Republican0fHeaven

Smash Ace
Ok so if Jacob is driving with aaron and naka, I have room for two more in my car (potentially 3 if puppetmaster decides not to go with us)

So if rob is driving the rest of the people from pittsburgh (still unknown) and pm decides not to go, Travis and I will be in Erie and could go with Jacob. Unless Gerald goes with them

>.< confusing

But still have space at the hotel for peeps..

Nakamaru

Smash Master
Whoo! this is what i'm talkin about!

So:
Taki, Amine - have housing
Johnny, Lake, Me, Carrol, Davey, Vudu, and Shuffles - Housing at Gio's
RoH, Puppetmaster, tedium, Slamus, Cavedweller - Staying at a Hotel?

Cars are:
Taki -Amine, Johnny, Carrol, Davey?
Vudu - Lake, Myself, Shuffles, Room for 1 more
Roh - Cave Dweller, Puppet master, Room for 2 more
Slamus - Open car?

Waiting on confirmation from Rob (yes/no)

Waiting on word from Ambix (Going/Not Going)

People that will tear it up in MI:
Everyone but shuffles because he is a big meanie doo doo head.

Am i missing anyone/anything else needs addressed?

PGH Carroll

Smash Master
Slamus said that he will be driving but I would NOT rely on him.. Lol

I think he'll actually do it though. He wouldn't miss a chance to get stoned with lain. Looooooool

But put tedium in one of those cars.
Loki should come too!
Also Ambix said he wanted to go but idk about his status.

Top Bottom