• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The *Official* Pittsburgh Melee Weeklies Thread of the LoL WoW Love

SiN:Wrath

Smash Apprentice
I feel that it is time I made a comeback here on the boards of smashing of the weeklies official Pittsburgh melee thread.

"All good things must come to an end
so that they may inevitably begin again.
This shall be the way for many men
but not for those who's name is SiN.

I've missed you all so much my friends
and hope that I will not offend.
When I say with utmost love and zen....
SKRAAAAAAAA!!!!" - A poem by Link and I

p.s. Its good to be back in the SKRAAAAing business. :cool:

Smash Apprentice
Double posting like a boss on my first day back.

"Dude looks like a lady! SKRAAAA! SKRAAAA!" - Link is always willing to fill in as a backup singer/s or chorus line.

Vudujin

Smash Lord
Dubstep is so. . . . . . ah. . . it's the worst sub-genre of the best genre of music. Breakbeat still kicks the *** of any other hardcore electronica.

AFX!!!!

@Taki, Carroll, etc. did you guys wanna come down the 30th of Sept. on the Friday before Kitty's?!

HOLY BUDDHA!!! IT'S A JEFFF!!!

Hi Jeff!

AprilShaw

aka Logan

Vudujin

Smash Lord
Skrillex and Bassnecter are the only people making it their own. It's just way too linear of a genre to be a genre.

AprilShaw

aka Logan
YOU USE PHOENIX AND HAVE A ****TY HAIRCUT!

And Jacob, there are plenty of artists doing plenty of unique and cool things with Dubstep. It's like any genre. Go and listen to rock on the radio and tell me that THAT isn't linear, reused, boring, etc. You hear only the really popular stuff, especially with dance genres because the music's meant to be mixed together and played at clubs; it's not supposed to be unique, just pop~y and predictable so that people can get their groove on. That's why you never heard bands like Pendulum at clubs, even when they were big on the DnB side of things and not as much on the rock side. It's because they took really unique twists and turns with the genre, so when you wanted Pendulum in a mix it was almost always a Pendulum specific mix, because it didn't mix well with standard stuff in the genre.

Edit: Though, one big difference it seems between you and me is that I tend to like "standard" electronic music, makes for great background music while I'm doing other stuff :p

A-Laon

Smash Master
Pretty much all music is stale and reused, it's just a matter of picking and choosing what you personally enjoy hearing over and over again.

One thing that'll never be stale, however, is MOTHER****ING J TO THE EFF

JEFFREY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHERE HATH THOU BEEN, MY LOVE!?

Smash Apprentice
I happen to greatly enjoy Dubstep and think that it is going through the same process as any other genre when they start. Everything is going to sound a lot alike for awhile because its just starting to get its feet under itself and all genres suffer from sounding alike. Just think back to the introduction of Emo-rock, or grunge, or alternative. It takes awhile for them to evolve... just like POKEMON!! And I happen to agree that Skrillex is one of the few really trying to make it thier own and therefore they ROCK SOCKS!!!

Dear A-Laon,
Life has been quite the crazy rollercoaster since you and I last embraced one another. We must sooner rather than later remedy this situation over a cup of coffee and a slice of pie at some Eat'N Park. There will I regail you with stories and anecdotes of my life's progress and evolution and hopefully have the favor returned in kind. We shall once again be able to swap poetry and thoughts on life, love, justice, literature, politics, meta-physics, and the countless other topics that are always so readily available to us.
With love, hope, and joy of what is to come,
-Jeff

"My. Name. Is. SKRAAAA!!!" - Link thought that doing work with Skrillex was pertinent to this current forum discussion.

Smash Apprentice
GAH!! how the hell does one delete thier own post?

"Can your friends go SKRAAAA! Well looky here." - Disney thought that this might terrify the children. So Link was paid for his time and offered a free copy of the movie. He and Robin Williams are still very close friends.

A-Laon

Smash Master
We must sooner rather than later remedy this situation over a cup of coffee and a slice of pie at some Eat'N Park. There will I regail you with stories and anecdotes of my life's progress and evolution and hopefully have the favor returned in kind. We shall once again be able to swap poetry and thoughts on life, love, justice, literature, politics, meta-physics, and the countless other topics that are always so readily available to us.
I've been in my room.

YOU ARE NOW UP TO DATE.

Vudujin

Smash Lord
YOU USE PHOENIX AND HAVE A ****TY HAIRCUT!

And Jacob, there are plenty of artists doing plenty of unique and cool things with Dubstep. It's like any genre. Go and listen to rock on the radio and tell me that THAT isn't linear, reused, boring, etc. You hear only the really popular stuff, especially with dance genres because the music's meant to be mixed together and played at clubs; it's not supposed to be unique, just pop~y and predictable so that people can get their groove on. That's why you never heard bands like Pendulum at clubs, even when they were big on the DnB side of things and not as much on the rock side. It's because they took really unique twists and turns with the genre, so when you wanted Pendulum in a mix it was almost always a Pendulum specific mix, because it didn't mix well with standard stuff in the genre.

Edit: Though, one big difference it seems between you and me is that I tend to like "standard" electronic music, makes for great background music while I'm doing other stuff :p
I totally agree with you on that. I hate the radio too. I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes here. I personally love dancing to it, but I just hate listening to it casually. It's just an opinion. Just one of those genres that's like a pet peeve to me. I'm trying to get into it cause I like tone of it, but there's just something about it that's just too linear in terms of musicianship. Personally, I've been messing around with it on my synth and trying to make bass drop patches. But yeah. It's just like my pet peeve of music. Like brawl.

Vudujin

Smash Lord
the Buku link was pretty cool too.

I'm working on a reworking a piano tune of mine to have a drop in it. I'll post it up for you guys once it's done.

Vudujin

Smash Lord
I Love This SONG!!!!

Aaron showed this to me back in the day.

I'm not beautiful enough to cover this, not til I have my stache

Republican0fHeaven

Smash Ace
i think i showed you this cover before
, LEARN IT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l44ojIgzJkI
My friend ian (TITE) who has come to Duq a few times, met the chick from Bond that did Violin for Explosive. Apparently she was trying out for Miss America and did "Explosive" for her talent portion of the show. She's amazing. When I hear this song I definitely think of BOB MONEY's combo vid from 2006.

And regarding dubstep, I used to hate on it cause it definitely seemed boring to me cause it was so slow.. But then I danced to it at a couple parties, then the songs got better and newer... I definitely like Flux Pavilion, Chase & Status, Udachi, Rusko over Skrillex and some of Bassnectar's stuff. But there is some good stuff out there thats not as well known, but still mixed at raves.

Im sure dubstep has a future ahead of it. It first hit me when this came out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOAMfUJ3tsc&ob=av3e

and I actually liked it alot lol

But the stuff can definitely be linear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJzfTZlEl40&feature=related

Flux Pavilion is rarely linear tho

TheLake

Smash Master
Second violin please.

If we are going the BOND format...which is the best one

though stellah is nothing to sneeze at..

dubstep

like ALL techno

is bad *** to dance too

im hungry

HI JEFF <3<3<3

"I feell into a burning ring o skraaaaaaaaaa"

I miss wemp now

:/

and im still hungry...

Vyke

Smash Champion
I'm glad someone noticed it.

Teams tournament! Everyone picks a level 9 character.

:phone:
I just noticed this and I am totally down for it.

But I think we should write down all the characters on a slip of paper and put them into a hat and draw for our teammates.

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
I want in on crews.

**** sauce.

Carroll, need me to bring anything besides the obvious?

School is sweet.

Bring the heat.

ReadySetGo

Smash Ace
Maaaaaaaatt.....

What are we drafting tomorrow? And how much?
I won't be there tomorrow /sad. We should draft Innistrad when it goes on sale, which would mean not next Friday, but the one after. It will be $7.50 a person since I can get boxes for $90 so that's $2.5 a pack (I believe it's 36 packs per box right?). So the people who would want to play are:

Matt
Rob
Aaron
Me
John
Chris?

As long as we have 6 people committed to I will buy the box this week and our first draft would be the 7th? The only reason I don't want to do one next week is because the current drafted set is 1) fairly uninteresting, 2) lacking in $$$ cards.
I would really want to get 8 people for this, anyone else have any interest in Magic? Drafting is a low cost way to get into the game, that teaches you all the important principles of the game. I will warn you drafting is challenging/intimidating at first but you'd be learning it in an obviously fun/casual setting. If you were ever interested in playing a competitive card game, this is likely the best chance you will get because not only is this gonna be some good fun but it is also really cheap in comparison to other venues of play (most other drafting is $12-$15 to enter).

Anyway, like I mentioned I won't be there tomorrow, but I will hopefully catch you all next week.

ReadySetGo

Smash Ace
Top Bottom