• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Ohio Brawl Power Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Count

Smash Champion
LOL are you serious? I don't get how his spot was debateable. AZ was gone and he wrecked the rest of this state at that OUGA tourney. That tourney basically counted as two because between pools, brackets, and the crew battle, there were lots of matches played. And shugo crushed everyone.

While I agree he shouldn't have the #1 spot now due to inactivity I think it was pretty clear to just about everyone else who follows Ohio smash that he deserved that spot at the time.

ArgentStew

Smash Lord
Count, it's hard to deal with the Fail Rankings... There, I said it... I'm not afraid to voice my opinion about this anymore... :laugh:

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Argent: what specifically does not make sense? What would you do differently? Who does not deserve whatever spot they have?

ArgentStew

Smash Lord
Everything about this makes little sense to me... The only straight answer I ever really got about it is how the voting process works... The way I see it, there are 9 different people with 9 different ways of voting so when I ask about stuff, I get 9 different answers on why this person moved up and why this person moved down when they never really deserved it... Not to mention the way decisions are weighted seem to change month by month... It is overall very confusing to me... I'll even go so far as to say that I feel there is some heavy bias going on...

I complain and complain and complain and still you ask me what I would change, AZ? Haven't you realized yet that I will never be happy with this? Why not just be satisfied with what opinions you have instead of asking for a 10th one? :laugh:

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Surely there is a specific player or group of players ranked higher then you feel then, so maybe identifying what exactly you feel is wrong with the list will help?

FYI: Every power ranking not made by a computer or by a single person will take opinions from multiple people with those people giving different weights to different variables. There isn't a power rankings in existence that has every person voting giving the exact same weight to the exact same variables - because if such a system existed you wouldn't need people, instead you could just use a computer or a single person, since if everyone treated everything the same then everyone would likewise reach the same exact conclusion.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
AZ has a point. As bad as it sounds, NEOH would probably have done something similar had a player from the area been in charge, but to a lesser extent considering the amount of players we have compared to the amount down south and in Smashfield combined. Still...if I knew a more solid way of going about ranking players I would have said something by now, but no dice. xD Maybe someone will think of something soon.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
You guys should just do it the way MI does it. Just use DBZ characters <3

Trust me, it makes sense once you try it :D

ArgentStew

Smash Lord
Argent has a point, there was no reason to take me from my #7 spot, i loved that spot...
I don't think your spot changed... I think it was Blue's jump that caused a general shift...

Surely there is a specific player or group of players ranked higher then you feel then, so maybe identifying what exactly you feel is wrong with the list will help?
I'm not going to sit here and name individual people... That would be stupid... The only person I will mention myself... When I was on the list, did I really deserve it or was it because some of the panel was already committed to voting for me as an HM before I even did well at Springfield or OU because of the previous list and reactions to it?

FYI: Every power ranking not made by a computer or by a single person will take opinions from multiple people with those people giving different weights to different variables. There isn't a power rankings in existence that has every person voting giving the exact same weight to the exact same variables - because if such a system existed you wouldn't need people, instead you could just use a computer or a single person, since if everyone treated everything the same then everyone would likewise reach the same exact conclusion.
If that's so then why does the general consensus change so much? I mean it seems like every month the criteria becomes different... How many tourneys you have to go to, how widespread you go, how high you rank, what skilled players you beat, etc... It's never seems consistent month to month or region by region... I understand the caliber of players are better in the south, but that doesn't mean you can apply different principles when and where you see fit...

And why would you be afraid anyways? Speak your mind that is how **** gets accomplished.
Last time I said stuff, I feel like I was ganged up on... Not to mention I feel like I'm being a jerk to people when I speak up... I don't wanna be a complete ***hole, and I don't want anyone to think I am... :(

TheKiest

Smash Champion
Last time I said stuff, I feel like I was ganged up on... Not to mention I feel like I'm being a jerk to people when I speak up... I don't wanna be a complete ***hole, and I don't want anyone to think I am... :(
I would rather have someone mention a painful truth to me then nothing at all. I never thought you or anyone who expresses their opinion about this game is or will ever be a jerk.

Pretty much form what I can tell it comes down to (in order from top to bottom to weave out people)

Who goes to tourne with current power ranking players?
Who did they win against in bracket?... sometimes pools matter, but not usually
Who did they lose against? This is actually more important than the 2nd point. If I beat Capem somehow (pure luck on my end) but then lose to Nova and Composer, I'm not going to be placed that high.
If they lost against someone, have they beaten them this month?
How Difficulty was their bracket?
Tournament placement? This isn't as important due to smaller tournaments. Plus most of the criteria above reflects you're tournament placing.

The hardest part is ordering the top 10.
I would research more into why some people go down more... but I'm not a panelist (and shouldn't be due to my lack of attendance) and I don't have the time.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Wait a sec. It's not like there's a prize or anything being awarded based on what the power rankings are. So why do people care so much anyway? : /

wakka444

Smash Ace
its a pride thing, one of the great feelings in smash is seeing that youre better and recognized for it

then theres people who really dont care like shugo and yourself

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
its a pride thing, one of the great feelings in smash is seeing that youre better and recognized for it

then theres people who really dont care like shugo and yourself
Yeah I hear ya. I'm one of the most competitive people you'll ever know and I love it when I improve at something and best someone who is/has been better than me at it. I measure my improvement by who I am able to finally beat in a set and by trying to place better and better as I go; Buuuuut I don't need a list to tell me that either lol.

I know it's cool and all to be on a list with many other great players, but I also take into mind the factors that influence the structure of said list, and complete accuracy doesn't come to mind. It's be cool if I could somehow make it onto this list I won't deny that haha, but I wouldn't consider it as anything beyond something to brag about. If I want to prove that I'm better than someone or that I can at least beat/contend with someone...I'll do it in a tournament set. And if I lose...I'll keep improving until I can finally change that result. That's my state of mind. :)

*reviews own post* Sorry for the long-winded speech. I tend to do that sometimes if I have something I want to say but can't express it clearly enough in a summarized form. ^.^;

ArgentStew

Smash Lord
Kiest, it's more like an opinion than some great truth... And what kinda truth about someone's skill could really come from someone who hasn't been on the scene all that long...

I'm trying not to care, but people keep asking me why I don't care anymore... :laugh:

ChamP_SlayZ

Smash Apprentice
If that's so then why does the general consensus change so much? I mean it seems like every month the criteria becomes different... How many tourneys you have to go to, how widespread you go, how high you rank, what skilled players you beat, etc... It's never seems consistent month to month or region by region... I understand the caliber of players are better in the south, but that doesn't mean you can apply different principles when and where you see fit...

The Power Rankings aren't supposed to be a "WHO'S HOT THIS MONTH" list. It's to show the top 10 best players in Ohio. Which is hard to sort out these days due to the fact the NO ONE is consistent besides M2K lolZ. Because someone may get 1st at a TYM doesn't mean they are the best player in Ohio at the time. Any of the panelist that makes their decision on based only on the past 1-2months is a fool. If M2K goes around beating everyone in the nation (like he does) and I come outta the blue and beat him once doesn't mean I should be ranked higher than him. You need to be able to beat the best AND beat the people that the best can beat. The PRs should be a list of the best players in Ohio that beat not only fellow Ohio players but that travel and beat other states best players not who was hot at a local tourney that they won 60 bucks at.

wakka444

Smash Ace
thats exactly what it is, the opinion of ohios most knowledgeable players

their opinion on whether or not youre good xD

ChamP_SlayZ

Smash Apprentice
Forget I ever said anything... I'm just an uninformed noob... My opinion is meaningless...
People are asking for your opinion for a reason.If we all thought you were a meaningless noob we wouldn't even acknowledge you right? You say the PRs are bias Infern just wants to know your honest opinion.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Aww c'mon Argent, speak up, voice your opinion. :3

I only have one thing I want to point out. Beegs should be #10 and Lou should be HM imo. I'm not sure about who has been placing higher and who they've defeated, but it seems to me like Beegs has just been doing more lately. Please correct me if I'm wrong/misinformed.

Y.b.M.

Smash Master
Well I should be Number 4 and not 5..... Champ will never beat me again unless he wins hahaha.. And every time I wake up in the morning I piss excellence... I'm just that great...

ChamP_SlayZ

Smash Apprentice
Well I should be Number 4 and not 5..... Champ will never beat me again unless he wins hahaha.. And every time I wake up in the morning I piss excellence... I'm just that great...
GRRRR!!!!! im beating you from now on baby woooooo!!!!!! hahaha either way it's all Smashfield to God kai love. NO HOMO!

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Y.b.M. I want to play your Kirby in tournament soooo ****ing bad. xD

I love the matchup and I'd like to have a chance to play a top-notch Kirby offline for once.

lou4222

Smash Lord
Aww c'mon Argent, speak up, voice your opinion. :3

I only have one thing I want to point out. Beegs should be #10 and Lou should be HM imo. I'm not sure about who has been placing higher and who they've defeated, but it seems to me like Beegs has just been doing more lately. Please correct me if I'm wrong/misinformed.
Since you asked...... Ill tell you. In my unbiased opinion I think I deserve 10 over Beegs. I have beaten Kel (at the time of the list it was two months ago), Y.b.M, Hilt, Wangston, Smash 64 and Argent. I dont lose to players I shouldnt. Beegs is a great player and would probably beat me heads up. I would never want to face him in tourney. Marth destroys me. But who has Beegs beat? He hasnt traveled outside of Cleveland in forever. If you put who I beat and lost to vs his shouldnt I be placed ahead of him? I applaude KB for actually calling something out. Thats what this is for. If you disagree with this logic or any other placings air your grievances.

ChamP_SlayZ

Smash Apprentice
Since you asked...... Ill tell you. In my unbiased opinion I think I deserve 10 over Beegs. I have beaten Kel (at the time of the list it was two months ago), Y.b.M, Hilt, Wangston, Smash 64 and Argent. I dont lose to players I shouldnt. Beegs is a great player and would probably beat me heads up. I would never want to face him in tourney. Marth destroys me. But who has Beegs beat? He hasnt traveled outside of Cleveland in forever. If you put who I beat and lost to vs his shouldnt I be placed ahead of him? I applaude KB for actually calling something out. Thats what this is for. If you disagree with this logic or any other placings air your grievances.
Louis I got a good Film for you to watch maybe it'll open your eyesss lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sknoKWsVlAA

Edit: I don't know why I quoted you. but whatever lol

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Ok that makes sense. I haven't really kept track of Beegs' accomplishments in particular, but now that you put it that way it does seem fair for you to have the spot over him currently. Thanks for clearing that up Lou. :3

lou4222

Smash Lord
Champ- I have a couple of questions/ things for you.

1. I am curious as to how you stumbled upon the above youtube video. Were you really searching ank on youtube?

2. Once I saw the title I immediately closed the window lol. You crack me up. I was half expecting to see an Icees video of beating a Game and Watch, but then I realized that could never happen, and your shananigan video affirmed it.

3. When are you going to Markus' again? We will be having a life talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom