• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Ohio Brawl Power Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
That's fine and dandy, I'm all for expanding the metagame just as much as anyone else. What I don't agree with is necessarily running a circuit with said stages until they have been played at numerous smaller tournaments to get some solid feedback from many people rather than just a handful. I'm open to the idea, but not open to just throwing them into a circuit quite yet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_U0GKFKOkQ&feature=channel_page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSTepwghv7E&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CywE-TYw7rQ&feature=channel_page

Here are some vids from September 2008 of the first tournament I held. I've been holding small tournaments in the middle of tournaments and smashfests, and many people from all over the MW have been playing these as I've edited them. The circuit is the next step.

That's fortunate for them, and the idea sounds nice. These are two different types of games, however, and I still believe a circuit standard stage list with these stages is a rushed idea. Baby steps man, baby steps.
Like testing three stages for over a year with multiple people in the midwest, finding the stages work as planned in our smaller samples, and then moving it to a larger long-term sample so we can collect data in a real time environment?

Odds are you'll probably still see me around down south when I want to go.
Just like everyone else. If the custom stages were a huge horrnedous addition, the multitude of people that had tested them would have been like "...hey. These aren't cool." instead of getting good and bad responses from various people. Most of the people that have given bad responses have simply been those that prefer super small stage lists in the first place.

Alright, say they are legit, that would be wonderful. However...why would you require that a TO remove a current neutral stage as well? Would it be too troublesome to keep FD listed as neutral?
"neutral" is a misnomer. That's why we use the word "starter".

Previously, our starter stages were:

FD
BF
SV
YI
LC
CSiege
Delfino
Halberd
PS1

9 starters. No matter what matchup you got, you HAD to remove some of the stages and had a few good ones of your own. In the end, people played on a stage that was likeable by most parties. The most common stages were Smashville, PS1, and Delfino. Battlefield and Yoshi's Island weren't far behind.

We then noticed that Delfino was like a super stage for characters with spikes. This wasn't in itself a problem, but it tested a different skill set than any and all other stages and helped to create inconsistent results. If a DK and an Ike played on Delfino, we saw lots of water fights. We also saw lots of low % gimps on the walk-off sides because people liked to play dangerous games. None of this was really a problem, but it was a cause for concern because that style of play was more common to CPs. Thus, we removed Delfino from the starter list and had 8 starters. Instead of using a confusing 1221212 system (or something of the sort) to end on the eigth stage, we merely decided to move it down to 7. I don't recall if Halberd or CSiege was next to go, but one of them disappeared.

As time went on, we realized CSiege had similar problems to Delfino as well as massive campfests on the second transformation that no one liked. Halberd's ceiling was really low in comparison, and the hazards were just a bit TOO intrusive. PS1 was okay, but the rock formation led to a lot of infinites that cost an entire stock (a big thing in Brawl!).

The stage list was then shortened to 5, defeating the original purpose of the starter list. We now had:

FD
BF
SV
YI
LC/PS1 depending on the tournament/region

These stages all worked for similar characters. The only real outliers were Lylat Cruise and FD. LCruise due to its edges caused many characters, like spacies, to take special care in recovery, but didn't give huge advantages or disadvantages overall. FD, however, gives HUGE advantages in a multitude of match-ups. Because it's flat, a lot of people thought it was fair. This is not true.

Because of this, many characters that excel on the flat plat stages get to start on FD, BF, or SV. As this ruleset caught on, we saw Falco, Diddy, and ICs all rise in ranks. This is not a coincidence. They get to start on what is essentially a counterpick! That's even worse than "random" in Melee, and random was what we wanted to get away from! We don't want to have anyone with an advantage, even a slight one, if we can help it.

My solution was custom stages. I originally had 3 starters, Equity, Libra, and Abyss. I had people vote on whether they wanted LC or PS1 as the 7th starter, and we had our stage list. After testing Abyss more, I found it changed gameplay too much. Others said similar things, Xisin being the first; it just had a different feel. So, I added in both LC and PS1 and moved Abyss as a CP, as Abyss was a popular stage amongst most that played it... but didn't work as a starter.

Removing FD was a no-brainer. It gives huge advantages in certain matchups, and it's just not worth keeping it in. The stage is one of the biggest CPs in the game; it's more fair to play on PS2 in most matchups than it is on FD.

But, I did need a replacement. There should be a stage for those that excel without platform interference.

So, I created Libra. The plat in the middle is small enough to give you a place to run to, and helps speed up vertical KOs (you can jump on it, then aerially chase a falling opponent). The platforms on the side aid recovery; this means that those that are just flat out awful on flat stages can play a very strong edge game and take more risks. The plats also completely remove planking as a viable option, which always seemed to be a problem on FD for some reason.

So Diddy and ICs still have Libra on the stage list, but it's not AS strong as FD was.... but they do have an advantage in that they now have Libra AND FD as CPs. I noticed in my sets against AZ that while in 2 out of 3 sets it was almost unfair as to what stages we had to play, in 3 out of 5 sets the tables turned completely. He'd simply run out of CPs! I ban one stage and we have one as a starter, and then he CPs the other... but what to do on his second CP? Having an advantage or disadvantage in a matchup merely because it's 2 out of 3 or 3 out of 5 is possible, but should be avoided in most situations if possible.

Now, any matchup against characters that are strong on these stages will be more evenly matched for the starting stage, and these characters will have other options for CPs as well.

Alright, now get some people to try running the stage list up north and in mid Ohio if you can. Not saying that you have to in order to convince me of anything, just that it would be a good method of garnering even more feedback.
I got feedback primarily from top players, members of the SBR, and people that will be within reasonable driving distance for the circuit. NEOH was included in this, and had copies of the stages themselves for some time. I never forced anyone to test them, so if they didn't... meh?

Well I can see why he would refuse. Wanting to keep FD shouldn't have been such a determining factor in keeping him on.
It's all about making progress. I don't get paid to run the circuit. I love competitive gaming and love the community, and I hate it when TOs that don't have a history with competition take the reigns and decide they'll do what they like best without thinking of the consequences. There are lots of ways to go about doing things, and while admittedly my way of determining a good stage list is slower than most, it is also the best. If it ain't broke, don't ban it. If it is broke, prove it, then ban it, then tell everyone else why it's broken. I'm part of the group that determined why stages were banned. When Onett was banned, it was because D3 was "too good" on that stage. This is not true in the slightest, and Onett was never really given a chance. No one ever abused it in tournament... people just feared it would happen. You gotta wait for it to happen before you can just theorize it away in most cases, otherwise you end up with a poorly balanced result.

Rumble Falls is basically the offspring of Icicle Mountain from Melee, why is that even being brought up?
Rumbe Falls is an example of a unique stage no one knows anything about. It's a vertical scroller, and was originally banned because we thought Bowser was too slow to keep up with the stage (false) and that the spikes were near instant death (also false, only one spike doesn't have set knockback that I know of).

You sound really sure of that, please explain. Why wouldn't you want stages that help certain types of characters over time? Isn't that what counterpicks are designated for? Also, if you're referring to the fact that the "neutral" stages in Brawl aren't perfectly neutral, well of course they're not. It is just as I've said regarding the process of finding the "less broken" stages; the neutral stages have been designated as such because they are "less broken" than the rest of the options, but of course they're not perfectly neutral to all characters...no stage is. The same has already been illustrated in Melee: FD helps some characters more than others, Marth ***** on Yoshi's Story, etc. It's just the way things are.
Fun fact: The tiers for Melee were determined by two things. One was the characters themselves, the other was the stages that were played first round. Marth was able to succeed with such power because he did well on all the stages. Luckily for Melee, each and every one of the starters had different sizes, plat layouts, etc., and there were nuances to each stage that changed every matchup. Brawl starters are all the same size by default, meaning if you're character does well on one, he'll prolly do well on all of them. This can be problematic.

With custom stages, we can change the vertical blast zones, or even make one side of the stage KO faster than others. We can change stage sizes, and with certain stage editors we can stack objects to really change how stages are laid out. These stages are only the beginning.

"Fun" isn't necessarily the type of criteria I look for when trying something as groundbreaking as this, but to each his own. Good luck on your endeavor I guess.
It wasn't my main criteria either, but the most universal response I received from everyone playing this?

"These are just fun to play on. They're NEW. It gets boring playing on the same stages all the time."

Playing on custom stages amidst the standard ones had a rejuvenating effect for many players, and could help make people enjoy tournaments more. Some people already like tournaments more or less due to stage lists... what happens a year from now if we have a list of 15 custom stages that have been used over the USA and have been tested in tournament? Someone could get excited because this time Equity was a starter again, that kind of thing.

Plus, it adds another level of community involvement. You don't think I'm gonna be making ALL the custom stages for all time, do you?

I've been playing competitive games for a long time. I've played lots of them. In the end, the one thing they all have in common, is that someone ALWAYS *****es because the rules aren't what they like. I know what I'm doing, and however bad you think it is, it isn't that bad. You'll even enjoy the tournament, promise.

jokey665

Smash Ace
I agree with basically everything OS said. I've had the stages for a while, and they're tons of fun and a breath of fresh air. I've never experienced any crazy-broken matchups on any of them, and I've played on them a lot.
Especially Abyss <3

And anything that brings competitive Smash closer to competitive Starcraft is a good idea in my book.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Alright, I'll give it a shot and see if I like it. I won't hold my breath but I'll be fair.

I just want to travel more to become as skilled as I can (with Peach especially). That's my main incentive.

Jiffyboob

Smash Lord
KB, you should come down with us to this tourney. If you don't want to play in it for whatever reason; that's fine. The only expense would be food and gas money. Should be interesting. I am personally holding judgment on this until I look at how in pans out in tourney.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
You're STILL terrible at smash, champ <3
I see Japan has made you as humble as ever, champ. ^.^

Funny, I spoke nothing of credentials in this conversation, and you somehow felt the need to insult me as a player. You're such an amazing person! :)

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
King Beef....That's Kuja In your Avatar Right?
Yes it is. :3

Kel and King have some Beef going on, get it? Da da dum!
Oh snap son!

KB, you should come down with us to this tourney. If you don't want to play in it for whatever reason; that's fine. The only expense would be food and gas money. Should be interesting. I am personally holding judgment on this until I look at how in pans out in tourney.
Wait which one are you talking about? I've got some prior engagements with a special girl this weekend so if it's this weekend I got to say no. :laugh:

Jiffyboob

Smash Lord
Wait which one are you talking about? I've got some prior engagements with a special girl this weekend so if it's this weekend I got to say no. :laugh:
I'm talking about God Kais next week (Oct. 10). The one with the stage list thats causing all the commotion.

Edit: Good priorities I see.

Kel

Smash Master
I see Japan has made you as humble as ever, champ. ^.^

Funny, I spoke nothing of credentials in this conversation, and you somehow felt the need to insult me as a player. You're such an amazing person! :)
Right, you went the cool guy route by insulting my appearance.

My point still stands. You can insult me as you wish, but at the end of the day you're just pot fodder for me.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Right, you went the cool guy route by insulting my appearance.

My point still stands. You can insult me as you wish, but at the end of the day you're just pot fodder for me.
You're the ******* that called me a noob in an unprovoked manner. As far as I'm concerned, you were fair game for an insult.

I would really like to stay cool with everyone, so let's both stop being douches to each other. Don't make it so that I'm giving you too much credit here.

Kel

Smash Master
It's no wonder why this region has never been taken seriously aside from a select few from MI and OH, and still isn't. :ohwell:
^ I called you a noob because you were acting like one.

Don't insult people like a butthurt ***** and we won't have problems

ya dig?

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
^ I called you a noob because you were acting like one.

Don't insult people like a butthurt ***** and we won't have problems

ya dig?
No, I wasn't acting like a noob. I'm sorry for not immediately agreeing to an "out there" idea but he eventually convinced me to at least try it out. It's called being "skeptical" or "disagreeing" with something.

And I'll stick with my last statement if you want to be like that, your noob insult was unnecessary, you were fair game.

Now then...let's not be all fake smiles and handshakes at tournies if you want to speak to me like this on the internet, because that's the making of a real *****. O.~

Inui is annoying, but at least he holds up to his persona in and out of the boards. I...kind of respect him for that.

Y.b.M.

Smash Master
....HOLD ON...

I'mma Let ya'll Finish...But BEYONCE HAD ONE OF THE BEST VIDEOS OF ALL TIME.... OF ALL TIME

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Inui is annoying, but at least he holds up to his persona in and out of the boards. I...kind of respect him for that.
I don't think that's intentional.

Y.b.M.

Smash Master
HAHA...I NEVER GET RANKED UP....I'm always at the same level....I have yet to lose to Kel in a Recent tournament....I defeated Shugo at TYM...I beat Anther.... Haha DAMMIT GIVE ME AN UPGRADE NOW!!!!

Kel

Smash Master
aw=( Infern went from 7th for the millionth time in a row to 8th.

You shoulda stepped it up just a LITTLE bit more there Infern.

Y.b.M.

Smash Master
And can we please Spell My name Correctly.... It's "Y.b.M." It has 3 letters and 3 dots....the "B" is lower case....Thank you....

-KB

Smash Rookie
Ah, this is better. I was getting tired of that outdated "King Beef" tag.

Can we please call me KB or Eddie (just think of Smash64's name) from now on? Thanks. =P

Infern Angelis

Smash Master
Have u guys head Smash64 real full name?

also, what? I never played Blue Rouge but he is higher then me? I demand my 7th spot back, no offense to BR

But I guess I gotta step it up all over someone this weekend. Look out! I got a whole new bag of tricks!

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Blue Rogue's scurry Infern! You better go RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR this weekend!

ArgentStew

Smash Lord
I kinda had a feeling I wasn't gonna make the next list... I doubt I'll be able to get back on with school and all... :/

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
To be fair the difference between Y.b.M. getting 4th and Shugo getting 4th was extremely close. Like, extremely.

Y.b.M.

Smash Master
Hmmm.....can you explain....why it's surprising Xisin...or what you expected the list to resemble.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom