• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Ninja Spike Thread (Last Update: 11/12/09) Potential PS1 Tech Discoved.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
o_o

what % does a character need to be to actually die from a King of Red Loins Upthrow Spike? (KRLUS)

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
o_o

what % does a character need to be to actually die from a King of Red Loins Upthrow Spike? (KRLUS)
It starts killing somewhere between 110% and 130%, not sure where (it took really long to test even that much). The window to spike is small and there isn't much of a gap, so this is likely to be regulated to Lucario and ZSS only. I'll do some work with it later to make sure.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
It starts killing somewhere between 110% and 130%, not sure where (it took really long to test even that much). The window to spike is small and there isn't much of a gap, so this is likely to be regulated to Lucario and ZSS only. I'll do some work with it later to make sure.
BUT

they have a set time of coming up, so you can time a cutter to come down on them as they resurface. Extremely low % gimps anyone?

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
I didn't realize you could water-spike any other way. :laugh: My testing was done by hitting the opponent with the spike only while they were in the water. I never meant hitting them with the full move.

I believe the spike on FC is the same regardless of percentage. No matter how many times I tried it, I could never kill an opponent in the water using it. If you've tried it and it worked, I'll happily retract my statements. In this case especially I would rather be wrong than right.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
I didn't realize you could water-spike any other way. :laugh: My testing was done by hitting the opponent with the spike only while they were in the water. I never meant hitting them with the full move.

I believe the spike on FC is the same regardless of percentage. No matter how many times I tried it, I could never kill an opponent in the water using it. If you've tried it and it worked, I'll happily retract my statements. In this case especially I would rather be wrong than right.
Oh...I thought you meant doing the full move and landing in the water. I should've remembered that the spike has set knockback X_X

Sino

Smash Journeyman
Does that spike really work with the FC, i always do stone when they're in the water.

There aren't any ninja spike vids of kirby are there?

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I Ninja Spiked a ZSS player on his last stock in a MM last weekend. -^_^-d
Someone behind me was like "t1mmy? What was that?!" And I was like... "Ninja Spike'd!"
It was the Frigate Orpheon one, by the way.

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
This thread is destined to die. No info in almost a month (the most recent update was...well, check the OP).
Fair enough. Just like my move-set discussion, I guess. :(
I was hoping we could figure out that DI/SDI thing before we closed up shop, though. I'd do it, but I don't have a testing partner. Also, I need to get someone to turn my replays into vids.

Triple R

Smash Lord
I got a quick question about Lylat Cruise. So you can pretty much Ninja Spike anyone, but what way does it have to be tilted? Should it be tilted down or up?

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
It needs to be tilted down at first, then raise quickly. I think I posted the three main spots I've found you can do it it earlier in the thread, but I haven't had the time to find them all (there are a lot of possibilities...). I keep forgetting to send out my replays to SniperNightOwlFromYouTube. I'll do it soon, I've just been busy.

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
Kirby Glitch on Frigate Orpheon?

...and here I thought it was all a chance coincidence. Wow, I missed a LOT while I was away. Who came up with the idea to start mass-testing ninja-spikes?

Anyway, maybe we can King Dedede to Frigate Orpheon?

As far as we have been able to tell, situations like that either require pixel perfect spacing or SDI on the opponent's part.

To answer your other question, A1lion came up with the idea of extensive testing after a thread popped up on AiB. t1mmy named it soon thereafter. Oh, and hi! Welcome back. :)

Edit: Since when have I had over 500 posts?!? O.o

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Kirby Glitch on Frigate Orpheon?

...and here I thought it was all a chance coincidence. Wow, I missed a LOT while I was away. Who came up with the idea to start mass-testing ninja-spikes?

Anyway, maybe we can King Dedede to Frigate Orpheon?
You lost your video archive. :p

Hrm...D3...I guess I could check that, but idunno if it's just DI like thrilla said.

Tomato Kirby

Smash Ace
You lost your video archive. :p
I was actually going to suggest a similar format, except Asdioh already had it up on my return.:)

Hrm...D3...I guess I could check that, but idunno if it's just DI like thrilla said.
Well, D3 ninja spike is ridiculously harder than the video provided at the beginning of the thread, since Kirby must be in the initial stage, facing towards the edge, on the last pixels on the stage (upper platform). Basically, the D3 player has to somehow get caught by Kirby under ridiculous circumstances. It's possible (and deserves a note), just really unlikely.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
It's been forever since anyone worked on this. It's been forever since someone cared. But I just found something.

I was just playing some wifail with my friend. He eventually chose snake, and kept on using him. I got EXTREMELY super pissed, because I was tired of playing his snake, and we start playing a game on PS1. I feel like there's no way I can win it, so I just try to uthrow Kirbycide. I mess up on it, then regrab and uthrow again. This was around 7:00 on the timer, so I kept on playing. I ultimately suicided on my last stock at about 5:06 to get the replay, when he was also on his last stock. Here's what I'm thinking: Could his DI have changed my uthrow's trajectory? I landed under the lip-like thing on the second uthrow. I don't know how it happened.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
It's been forever since anyone worked on this. It's been forever since someone cared. But I just found something.

I was just playing some wifail with my friend. He eventually chose snake, and kept on using him. I got EXTREMELY super pissed, because I was tired of playing his snake, and we start playing a game on PS1. I feel like there's no way I can win it, so I just try to uthrow Kirbycide. I mess up on it, then regrab and uthrow again. This was around 7:00 on the timer, so I kept on playing. I ultimately suicided on my last stock at about 5:06 to get the replay, when he was also on his last stock. Here's what I'm thinking: Could his DI have changed my uthrow's trajectory? I landed under the lip-like thing on the second uthrow. I don't know how it happened.
Ummm... I mentioned this exact same scenario in February... Yes, it is his DI. Some characters can have that happen if they DI right.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
yeah, I was just playing Jenkins' Fox in friendlies, and I was Kirby on PS1. I tried to do a double suicide last stock for the lols, but instead I spiked him and he died. It made me lol really hard.

I have the replay if you want to see it.

I told him it could have been his DI. *shrug*

So many people still don't know about this though. I even killed him with the Stone Glitch on the tree first stock >_>
He was kinda inexperienced against Kirby :p

A1lion835

Smash Champion
I still don't know why my first uthrow (the "normal" uthrow you do when you're on the edge of the stage...you land offstage and in midair right next to the stage, and it's hard to tell you were offstage) was different from my second uthrow (I "fell" below the second-edge-thing before ending the throw). DI doesn't seem like it would've affected that...

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I somehow almost Ninja Spiked Kirby on Pokemon Stadium (Melee) on the windmill part, but it turns out that he can fly right back to the stage if his percent isn't high enough. I'll try to see if F-Throw on some stages and see if it works.... I wish Smashville had a Ninja Spike, but his U-Throw in mid air would just crash like the platform is there. )=

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Mkay. I was testing this against a snake in training who was on control. No input from his end. I NS'd him on the water transformation. I think that I "landed" on the windmill...but it wasn't at a suitable angle to land on, so I sort of slid off of it and NS'd him.

Lovely

Smash Lord
♣ This makes me want Sky World to be on the legal list again. Seriously, this stage is pretty much ban everywhere. ); ♥

Kappy

Smash Ace
NNID
SwagTrain
3DS FC
2964-9085-1107
So, I know this hasn't been updated in forever, and this may already be known, but after reading through this a while ago I went NS crazy and began testing the PS1 Water Stage NS, and since it hasn't been posted here in detail and since I've finished, I may as well post it...

So far, there are three situations I've found.

Situation #1: DS, or Double Suicide. In this situation, Kirby and his opponent die. No questions asked. This works on every character if pulled off right. I'll write up a description how later - I haven't really gone back and did NS testing in a while, but there was a certain time to do it.

Situation#2: A NS. In this situation, Kirby lands in mid-air and the opponent is ninja-spiked. The timing is more precise, and if done correctly, it's pretty much guaranteed. Other times, the opponent will fly up, hit the lip, and go back down, giving some a chance to recover. Again, I'll write up how (and I'll provide a diagram) once I rediscover the timing.

((NOTE: The opponent can DI out of hitting the lip, but it's difficult to do. The opponent canNOT DI out if you pull it off correctly, but again, it's very difficult and so DI is usually applicable)).

Situation #3: Fail. In this situation, everything happens for situation #2, but instead of being under the lip, Kirby may land as if there was no windmill to alter his UThrow, or go too far to the left for the opponent to hit the lip (without DI) and fall onto the stage. This is, thankfully, the rarest of the three situations. I'll get a diagram of this one up when I put up all the other ones.

((NOTE: The opponent can DI this and NS him/herself, but that's really, really rare.))

I hope this helps shed some light on PS1's Water Stage NS. It makes PS1 my favorite stage, to be honest <3.

I'll also get some video footage for you guys! Hopefully soon!

...Oh! And one more thing.

Regarding Lucario, I found that he can't be NS'ed if Kirby is at the very edge of the stage. It perplexed me, so I did a little experimenting. What I did find is that if Kirby stands a tad away from the edge, the NS is guaranteed.

Maybe it was just me, but I'll get a video of that, too, if you guys want it. XD

T1MMY

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for posting the info, gamemasterdevil. I've had it happen to me that Lucario was not Ninja Spiked when I thought he should have been, and it's due to the distancing as you mentioned.

Videos would be a great addition for the front page of this thread.

Top Bottom