• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Ninja Spike Thread (Last Update: 11/12/09) Potential PS1 Tech Discoved.

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
Hm...I just did this...It works on tl on the nose of teh flya, and lucario and mario (ahahahahaha) on Lylat (I think already posted, but it all helps...)
...?

teh flya?

What is this strange and foreign language that you speak (and where is that)?

On a side note, yeah, pretty much everyone can be spiked on Lylat :). Does anybody know what happened to Blazing? He changed his icon to Poke Trainer...

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
...?

teh flya?

What is this strange and foreign language that you speak (and where is that)?

On a side note, yeah, pretty much everyone can be spiked on Lylat :). Does anybody know what happened to Blazing? He changed his icon to Poke Trainer...
Teh flya=The flyer (of falcon!)

And I'll go check with Katari (I call him that).

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
The blue falcon flyer on Big Blue.

So much testing on banned stages, lol.

Today I was playing friendlies against a decent MK on wifi, and I noticed I was on my second stock on Pokemon Stadium (Melee) and he was on his last, and it was the windmill part, sooo I managed to do a suicide throw. It was very satisfying.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Today I was playing friendlies against a decent MK on wifi, and I noticed I was on my second stock on Pokemon Stadium (Melee) and he was on his last, and it was the windmill part, sooo I managed to do a suicide throw. It was very satisfying.
I did the same thing against a marth today. But we both had 2 stocks. And then I lost:(.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Haha, I ninja spiked a Lucario for the game on friday. Ah, so satisfying... especially since that was my only win against that guy's Lucario that whole day (it's always close, but the problem is that when/if we're even, Lucario always has the upper hand... stupid power increase...).

This is actually a lot easier to set up on PS1 than I thought it would be too. The transformations really help us get this ready, and it tends to demoralize the opponent.

Also, your opponent's reaction to being ninja spiked is priceless!

TL:DR version:

I love the ninja spike!

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I'll hafta try it out. Someone should make a compilation ninja spike video, showing where to do it on various characters. I have yet to see what it looks like on Lylat...

you know, if Lucario gets super buff when he's on his last stock and you still have 2-3...shouldn't he get super weak if you're on your last stock and he's on his 2nd-3rd?

Right? Right?

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
Yeah, If I'm not mistaken that's how it works. The whole aura thing is quite the double edged sword :). As for the Lylat vids, sorry about that. I was going to have someone do them for me, but I haven't heard from him. Rest assured, you can do it, and it is awesome. Seeing as we don't have videos yet, though...

There are three primary Ninja-Spike locations on Lylat that I have found/used; One in the Asteroid Belt, one heading into the planet atmosphere (Corneria or Aquas, don't know which it is. I think the former) and the big battle above venom. I'll go over what to look for really quickly if you want to test it out. I suggest using it on Fox. He's relatively easy to spike because you have a wide margin for error.

1. After warping into the Asteriod belt, you will see an Arwing flying about the ship. Position yourself on the right side of the stage, and wait for the arwing to destroy two asteroids. The ship will turn "downward", then "stop" to "pull back up" ( I say these things in parinthesies bacause it does nothing to the stage, it just LOOKS like that's what the stage is doing :)). Right when it stops to pull up, use your u-throw. You should land as the stage is righting itself, causing the spike!

2. The ship should start on fire as you are heading into the atmosphere. Position yourself on the left side of the ship, and wait for the "fire" to dissipate. A split second after it does, u-throw. Spike #2 FTW! :bigthumbu

3. This is the hardest of the three. Position yourself on the right side of the stage when the enemy ships start to fire back. Wait for a ship to get lazered into oblivion. Right when it starts to blow up, u-throw.

If you can't get the timing down, try it on slow brawl w/ fixed camera. You can see the tilt as it is happening, and plan accordingly. I'm sure there are more places then this. As pretty as Lylat is to look at, though, I don't want to spend hours exhausting every possibility. See what works for you :).

Magnumblade

Smash Journeyman
Excuse me for not reading throroughly but,

ninja-spiking is a result of kirby up-throwing a character, landing slightly under the stage, and having the opponent bounce off the stage?

I want to test this more on the more common stages if they haven't been already, does the edge need to have a certain property? (not like moving around such as the platform in skyworld and the tilting stage of lylat cruise.)

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
The stage edge needs to be thin enough so that when Kirby comes back down the opponent's hurt-box is completely under the stage (AKA, PS1). There are also records (none in video format unfortunately :() of opponents getting Ninja-spiked on levels such as BF. We think its due to opponent DI or SDI, but we haven't been able to confirm where and who this method would work on. Any help is much appreciated and welcomed :).

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
So...Lylat...depends on what's going on in the background? I always thought the tilting of the stage wasn't dependent on what's in the background.

Can you just pay attention to the ship's angles and react accordingly? >_<

It would be hilarious if "Ninja Spiking" became a serious part of Kirby's metagame, and a year from now his placement on the tier list took the fact that he can wtfkill you at any % into account.

But this is best kept secret, because if people know about it, it's easy to avoid. I only got that kamikaze upthrow kill today because my opponent didn't know about it.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Exactly, what Asdioh said.

Thankfully, a lot of people don't take situational things into account when speaking of characters, and comparatively speaking, Kirby has a LOT of situational things.
Still, this is too good, especially vs Lucario, since a Lucario who dies like that at low percents gets completely demoralized for the rest of the match it seems.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Exactly, what Asdioh said.

Thankfully, a lot of people don't take situational things into account when speaking of characters, and comparatively speaking, Kirby has a LOT of situational things.
Still, this is too good, especially vs Lucario, since a Lucario who dies like that at low percents gets completely demoralized for the rest of the match it seems.
But then he gets super buff when he loses his life and ***** the **** out of you.

>:|

Magnumblade

Smash Journeyman
The stage edge needs to be thin enough so that when Kirby comes back down the opponent's hurt-box is completely under the stage (AKA, PS1). There are also records (none in video format unfortunately :() of opponents getting Ninja-spiked on levels such as BF. We think its due to opponent DI or SDI, but we haven't been able to confirm where and who this method would work on. Any help is much appreciated and welcomed :).
Ok I'll see what I can do on the neutral stages.

and I'm not 100% sure that it works but it looks like it would, another spot on lylat cruise.

Just as the ship enters Meteo (asteroid area) it turns/tilts clockwise alot and you can stage-spike on the left (maybe the right too, because I'm pretty sure that all spots can work on both sides)

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Ok I'll see what I can do on the neutral stages.

and I'm not 100% sure that it works but it looks like it would, another spot on lylat cruise.

Just as the ship enters Meteo (asteroid area) it turns/tilts clockwise alot and you can stage-spike on the left (maybe the right too, because I'm pretty sure that all spots can work on both sides)
I'm guessing you've said this already from your post, but do you wanna join the testing crew?

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
I was thinking about the stage mechanic for Big Blue, and honestly I think everyone should be added to the list. At some point or another, the Falcon Flyer is going to tilt enough to Ninja-Spike. Also, it isn't a legal stage, so there isn't any need to test for anything but friendlies anyways (I can DO it if I HAVE to, but...:))

A1lion835

Smash Champion
I was thinking about the stage mechanic for Big Blue, and honestly I think everyone should be added to the list. At some point or another, the Falcon Flyer is going to tilt enough to Ninja-Spike. Also, it isn't a legal stage, so there isn't any need to test for anything but friendlies anyways (I can DO it if I HAVE to, but...:))
Yea, I've been thinking that too...but you know how it seems like not everyone can be stagespiked on Lylat? I'm wondering if this could be like that too.

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
Not really. The only reason that some characters have a hard time/can't be Ninja-Spiked on Lylat is because the stage doesn't tilt enough. The Falcon Flyer can go from pure horizontal to near vertical, so that problem is eliminated.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
New update! I alphabetized the entire character list and added the ones that were missing. I appear to have 39 characters though...isn't that 1 too many?

I'll alphabetize the stage list next, then the stage lists inside the character list, then the characters inside the stages list...

Edit: Our new mission is to test this out on Rainbow Cruise, before the discussion ends!

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
New update! I alphabetized the entire character list and added the ones that were missing. I appear to have 39 characters though...isn't that 1 too many?

I'll alphabetize the stage list next, then the stage lists inside the character list, then the characters inside the stages list...

Edit: Our new mission is to test this out on Rainbow Cruise, before the discussion ends!
Nope, 39 is actually 1 too few, since there's 36 chars, but PT counts for 3 and both Samus and Zelda count for 2.

As for the Rainbow Cruise testing, GL, but I doubt it'll be done in time, but no worries, that's what edits and rediscussions are for!

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Um, I think there are 39. 36+1 (sheik/zelda) = 37, +2 (ivysaur, squirtle, charizard) = 39. I think, it's been a while since I checked.

Definitely not 40 though.

I'm still waiting for a Lylat video >_> I tried it last weekend and could never do it...

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Gah...I wish I could play wii! I can't until tomorrow night:(.

I'm willing to say every character on Rainbow Cruise b/c of the tilting though.

And Asdioh, when the side you're on tilts down, then starts going up, uthrow while right next to the edge. You should stagespike them. Some chars are harder than others; I recommend starting with Lucario.

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace

There are three primary Ninja-Spike locations on Lylat that I have found/used; One in the Asteroid Belt, one heading into the planet atmosphere (Corneria or Aquas, don't know which it is. I think the former) and the big battle above venom. I'll go over what to look for really quickly if you want to test it out. I suggest using it on Fox. He's relatively easy to spike because you have a wide margin for error.

1. After warping into the Asteriod belt, you will see an Arwing flying about the ship. Position yourself on the right side of the stage, and wait for the arwing to destroy two asteroids. The ship will turn "downward", then "stop" to "pull back up" ( I say these things in parinthesies bacause it does nothing to the stage, it just LOOKS like that's what the stage is doing :)). Right when it stops to pull up, use your u-throw. You should land as the stage is righting itself, causing the spike!

2. The ship should start on fire as you are heading into the atmosphere. Position yourself on the left side of the ship, and wait for the "fire" to dissipate. A split second after it does, u-throw. Spike #2 FTW! :bigthumbu

3. This is the hardest of the three. Position yourself on the right side of the stage when the enemy ships start to fire back. Wait for a ship to get lazered into oblivion. Right when it starts to blow up, u-throw.

If you can't get the timing down, try it on slow brawl w/ fixed camera. You can see the tilt as it is happening, and plan accordingly. I'm sure there are more places then this. As pretty as Lylat is to look at, though, I don't want to spend hours exhausting every possibility. See what works for you :).

@ Asdioh: Does this help? If not, PM me. I have replays I can send you.

@A1: Still no word from Blazing?

DFat1

Smash Rookie
maybe I am missing something, but did lylat Cruise just become a great counterpick for kirby
No. Too many platforms. You could take spacies or CFalcon but, thats about it. Unless you've found something ubber omega broken that will make the match up better, it's still a bad stage for kirby.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I personally hate Lylat cruise the most out of all the neutrals. My opponents usually stage strike it before me, so I don't have to XD

I just don't do well with platforms like the ones on Battlefield and Lylat. The Battlefield platforms are too cramped. The Lylat ones are too close to the ground.

I like the platforms on Brinstar. The Smashville platform is pretty cool because it's moving. Same with Yoshi's Island.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Personally, I like Lylat since I tend to get easier gimps and Dthrow follow ups due to the fact it tends to make them land on the platform, but it's not that great really.
The ninjaspike is good, but realistically speaking, the window for it is slim on this stage. I t is so much easier to do on PS1, and that stage is also ****, so yeah...

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Personally, I like Lylat since I tend to get easier gimps and Dthrow follow ups due to the fact it tends to make them land on the platform, but it's not that great really.
The ninjaspike is good, but realistically speaking, the window for it is slim on this stage. I t is so much easier to do on PS1, and that stage is also ****, so yeah...
The only problem with PS1? Only works on a few characters. Lylat works on everyone (I assume) with proper timing. Actually...yea, ima add everyone on Lylat AND Skyworld because of the moving platform thing...

I like Lylat either 2nd or 3rd best, depending on whether or not PS1 is neutral (gogo PS1! gogo PS1! gogo Yoshi's Island PS1, might morphin PS1...). PS1 neutral=me winning set (PS1>cp>brinstar. WIN).

Edit: added Lylat Cruise and Skyworld for all characters and put all stages in the first format in alphabetical order. Now I'm off to do some testing.

Edit 2: OH ****, SKYWORLD. I couldn't seem to Ninja Spike anyone to the left of Link (and including him) except Mario, but there were also times where I didn't NS on Lucario, so it's unclear.

And then I sort of got bored and started practicing Ice Climber CG's.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Okay, new info on Ganon! He seems to partially fit the role; there are some edges others get Ninja Spiked on that he doesn't, like 2 of the platforms on New Pork City (see Lucario vid for New Pork City; Ganon only gets Ninja Spiked on the leftmost edge). Also, when I first tested him on Frigate, he seemed to bounce to the left off of the edge...then I realized he had potential, tested on other stages, and came back to Frigate, thinking it might be a % thing. I wasn't able to reproduce it, so I'm a little confused.

Also, don't point out my color choicing. Look, I'm trying to add color, give me a break! It's hard enough to come up with colors that look good that I haven't already used. I spent 40 FREAKING MINUTES making the OP look better.

...And I was sort of testing on Frigate before I found out about Ganon, so I should get back to that.

Edit: Okay, the weird bouncy to the side thing happens if you go in AND DON'T CHANGE THE PERCENT WITH THE MENU. He bounces to the left off of the edge. Then, change the percent to 1. He gets Ninja Spiked. Back to 0%. Gets Ninja Spiked. This is pretty confusing...

Edit 2: I was thinking...if your opponent can DI into the Ninja Spike, can they DI out?

A1lion835

Smash Champion
New info, Lucario on Pirate Ship (King of Red Lion's head)!

Can other people test a bit on Pirate Ship? The first character you should try is Zero Suit Samus, and then Ganondorf. After those, I never finished testing on Frigate...Everyone in the first 3 columns (starting from mario's side and going to the right) is tested except Toon Link.

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
It's too bad that we can't water-spike, 'cause this would be evil if we could :). I'd test, but the disc spinner on my Wii is failing. I'm gonna try and see if I can clean it out today, but no promises that I'll be able to do much until it's fixed.

Top Bottom