• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Niagara Thread - PR Update 07/14/2013

Niko_K

Smash Master
Project M is fun as a game to play on the side but I can't see it ever being a main tournament attraction. There's no reason on Earth to quit SSBM for it considering how alive the scene currently is. We're working on implementing Brawl into the monthly schedule though for now our SSBM scene is getting better.

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
Well, when their end goal is a better version of Melee with ****ty characters rebalanced and Brawl's newcomers mixed in to the fray, I disagree.

Niko_K

Smash Master
Well, when their end goal is a better version of Melee with ****ty characters rebalanced and Brawl's newcomers mixed in to the fray, I disagree.
Regardless of what the goal of the game is, it hasn't even reached the point where we can be certain no more updates or modifications to the core of the game itself are to be made in order to allow any sort of competitive metagame to evolve. Furthermore Project M just simply won't get where SSBM is today. It's simply chronologically impossible. It's a fun game and of course any fighting game can be competitive, but it will never get to a point where a large international community is dedicated to the game in numbers adequate enough let alone a steady tournament scene that isn't a side event of SSBB or SSBM tournaments.

It's not an official release and there's no reason to quit Melee for a game that's based off of it IMHO.

Also I'll be there this Friday! Everyone needs to start posting in this thread more, about anything. Socialize, make jokes, keep the thread active. Make sure you post letting everyone know whether you're attending the casuals and furthermore the tournaments. It's important to ensure all our active members are actively posting in the boards to ensure out of towners have a justifiable reason to come out to us (activity).

ZaXXoR

Smash Journeyman
noone said their quitting, it's just a WAY better alternative to brawl, as it doesnt change much from melee, only takes a little bit of warming up, wheras going from melee to brawl, i always try and do **** i cant do :/

linksta888

Smash Apprentice
I just got here and haven't read any of the previous posts, I also don't know WHO i'm arguing against, but if you're practicing project M you should be practicing Melee instead, and if you want to play project M more competitively than Melee you're still totally a cool guy but you're kind of a quitter.

PS <-- That's what part of the alphabet would look like if 'Q' and 'R' were taken out.

PPS I don't have hate for Project M or Brawl, but if you think they have priority over a game like Melee... Derr.... I have a lot of bias but that seems really weird...
A side tournament for project M would be epic, and you project M players should totally bring your own TVs and setups for it. lol.

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
Regardless of what the goal of the game is, it hasn't even reached the point where we can be certain no more updates or modifications to the core of the game itself are to be made in order to allow any sort of competitive metagame to evolve.
Well yeah, it's still in it's beta stages technically. I'm talking about when it's done. When it reaches that point, in an ideal world your choice is between playing Melee, or playing Melee with better graphics, new characters and crappy characters like Bowser actually being useful.

Niko_K

Smash Master
Even when it's done it's completely unfair to rationalize that Project M is "Playing Melee" to any degree. The characters are new as in 2008 and who's to say that there truly is any character balance at all? It's so undeveloped that the fact of the matter remains, chronologically Project M will never get a chance at the same evolutionary process that SSBM has undergone and continues to do so. It's a fun game sure, but to say that it's newness, "balance", or any other factor is justifiable cause to quit SSBM is kind of ludacris. It only seems more balanced because it's so undeveloped and everyones existing skill trees become irrelevant therefore producing an "even playing field". I always personally feel like half the hype surrounding a new game is that everyone feels that they're that much more likely to become one of the top players in the game if they dedicate themselves to the new game. As if they feel they've failed at SSBM and have reached a skill cap so they assume they can't improve anymore at SSBM and want a game where they feel they can improve endlessly.

If there's enough interest and enough compatible hardware to run a side event it could happen, but replacing it for a game that just got into EVO solely based on the scenes efforts and large tight knit community would be leaving something too great for words.

EDIT: Brad finally uploaded the results to the tournament on February 16th after um, two weeks so I've finally got them into the original post of this thread and also here.

Abdul sucks you and your brother won't be there :( You should both make sure you get out to the tournament on March 23rd :)

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
All I'm reading is you putting Melee on a pedestal as if any Smash game that isn't Melee is just a 'fun side game' because it's not your personal ideal. Melee has a community, Brawl has a community, why can't Project M? Why does it have to be as big as melee, or this or that?

If there's enough interest and enough compatible hardware to run a side event it could happen, but replacing it for a game that just got into EVO solely based on the scenes efforts and large tight knit community would be leaving something too great for words.
Holy christ, did you really just use that as argument, and as incorrectly as you did? As if every single donation for Melee at EVO was the Melee community. News flash, it was the Smash community, they rallied behind Melee because it got the most initial donations when MLP became a threat. If some Brawl player with deep pockets had put Brawl ahead of Melee by 1 or 2 grand, the community would have been behind that, they wouldn't compete with themselves. And if I'm wrong about that, and the entire Melee community was as self-centered about Melee as you're acting and DID compete with Brawl, then neither game would be at EVO, Skullgirls would.

linksta888

Smash Apprentice
It only seems more balanced because it's so undeveloped and everyones existing skill trees become irrelevant therefore producing an "even playing field" ------ They feel they've failed at SSBM and have reached a skill cap so they assume they can't improve anymore at SSBM
Tbh it's extremelly, extremelly, extremelly easy to find a game more balanced than Melee, Project M being balanced at all puts it leaps and bounds over Melee.

Project M has a lot of potential, and it's a really cool concept... But I feel like when Brawl came out a lot of people left Melee for a while, and we're just recovering from that, why the hell do we need to throw another game in the mix right when Melee's getting back on it's feet? Isn't Melee good enough? Can't you just suck it up and PRACTICE? Now everyone's going to have to buy a Wii and mod it to play this Melee want-to-be with more characters and balance? Dude, project M is awesome, but I feel like it's a bad move for the community to split people up into groups of games. It's bad enough with people STILL playing normal Brawl (Not that project M is a bad game like Brawl, don't get me wrong.)

Everybody just play Melee, jesus, it's the best smash game out right now. Just because you think Project M has the potential to SOMEDAY be better than Melee doesn't mean we should press every single smash game on everyone. Just play Melee. Go to tournaments. Get good. Don't complain that you can't play as Bowser.

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
Everybody just play Melee, jesus, it's the best smash game out right now. Just because you think Project M has the potential to SOMEDAY be better than Melee doesn't mean we should press every single smash game on everyone. Just play Melee. Go to tournaments. Get good. Don't complain that you can't play as Bowser.

2kool2kare

Smash Apprentice
im surprised we dont have many falcos at the trove since apparently hes the best character

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
I used to play Falco in Melee but I don't have the tech skill for him, nor the dedication to acquire it

linksta888

Smash Apprentice
Playing both is easy enough for you, because you don't really want to see how good you can get at melee... i do and alot of other people are trying as well, I think niko and I are scared of a new game because it will distract our new up-and-coming community from taking melee as seriously as they can. I understand why you want to play project M, you've given up.

But we haven't.

Niko_K

Smash Master
I'm far from scared of a new game and Brawl for me was a huge new game experience. I had travelled to a few US tournaments (CH4, Cat4, COT4, Battle of WNY) and got to watch the metagame evolve over time etc I'm looking forward to seeing how Smash 4 plays with a Pro controller seeing as that's basically going to be the only viable controller option imo and It'd probably become a natural progression to learn it more deeply. Though I'm still in the phase of learning Melee and want to see how far I can push myself to eventually become great and at this point it's just choosing between two old games and I just enjoy Melee much more overall.

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
Playing both is easy enough for you, because you don't really want to see how good you can get at melee... i do and alot of other people are trying as well, I think niko and I are scared of a new game because it will distract our new up-and-coming community from taking melee as seriously as they can. I understand why you want to play project M, you've given up.

But we haven't.
Are the personal attacks really necessary?

Tell you what, YOU guys drive down here to Fort Erie on a weekly basis, I'll run tournaments, and then we'll see who has the dedication and will. Kay?

linksta888

Smash Apprentice
Hey, you sound pretty dedicated to me, you're dedicated enough to go to a scene of Melee players trying to play Project M. That's dedication at it's finest.
You're just not dedicated to Melee. You could be dedicated to oranges and bananas for all I care but it wouldn't make you any more dedicated to Melee, and personally all I really play is Melee. ;)

Niko_K

Smash Master
We chose St.Catharines cause of it's centralized location in the Niagara Region. If you could cultivate a scene of 8+ players in Fort Erie then of course we would be coming down and showing support just like Toronto and 519 does for us.

That being said friendlies today are gonna be sick. That fox.

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
@warchamp who do u play now?
Marth in Melee, I rely on spacing and game knowledge. And YOLOBrawlFSmash strats

We chose St.Catharines cause of it's centralized location in the Niagara Region. If you could cultivate a scene of 8+ players in Fort Erie then of course we would be coming down and showing support just like Toronto and 519 does for us.
Niagara is a centralized location in the Niagara Region, that's why it's the Niagara region.
If I could cultivate a scene of 8+ players in Fort Erie, we wouldn't be having this 'argument' at all :p

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
Good games tonight everyone, think I'm gonna have to start hitting up the tournaments. That PR is lookin' mighty tasty. Also to shut up Linksta gg

Side note: UH OH

Niko_K

Smash Master
Definitely a great casual yesterday and I counted a turnout of about 14 people. If only this amount of people would show up to a tournament things would be making my **** lathered in mineral oil and hard.

Niko_K

Smash Master
I'd most definitely like there to be. If I manage to get in the position to run the tournament there will more than likely be doubles.

Niko_K

Smash Master
Double post for fun friendlies the past two days at my house with Bing, Med$, my brudda StevinK (gettin good !!!!), and Shayne. Always up for friendlies so just shoot me a text 289 228 2650.

RockinRudy

Smash Journeyman
Gotta play you more Niko :p, been at 2kools house and both of us have been improving, as well as his brother. Anyway hope to see you guys on Saturday for more friendlies.

Niko_K

Smash Master
Ryan friendlies are today not Saturdays. I need to make it clear that NO ONE is allowed and I mean NO ONE not even myself or Brad to go into the back room and take TVs for usage any other day or time besides Fridays at 5-11PM. No debating this issue either. Todd is DONATING the space to us and the last thing I want the Smash community to do is extend their invitation and take advantage of what is actually a very personal financial matter for Todd. Hope everyone understands.

Friendlies are gonna be awesoime today :D

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
Why isn't there a tournament listing thread for tomorrow? (Today)

Edit: Is Toy Trove 4 tomorrow or next week, you have conflicting posts.

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
First post in this thread says Toy Trove 4 is tomorrow (March 16)

Toy Trove 4 thread says it's March 23rd.

I thought the tourney was tomorrow, if I knew it was next week, I would have showed up for friendlies today. Slightly annoyed.

Niko_K

Smash Master
Should show up for friendlies whenever you can. Conditional showing up is slightly degrading the scene and today I waited around for 1h15m and no one showed up so I left and went home. Were gonna have a nice tournament next week though :)

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
No one showed up cause no casuals were listed today, if I had to guess. Personally, I'm not gonna drop the gas money to St Catharines two days in a row, which was the case cause I thought there was a tourney tomorrow.

Hence why I'm annoyed.

2kool2kare

Smash Apprentice
@warchamp i feel you man i live in welland and while its not that far its still somewhat of a hassle financially and personally, but honestly its totally worth it just gota move on bro and dont stress over it too much

Ps if your ever in welland feel free to msg me and you can reach my house and we'll run some melee :)

Top Bottom