• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Niagara Thread - PR Update 07/14/2013

RockinRudy

Smash Journeyman
Should show up for friendlies whenever you can. Conditional showing up is slightly degrading the scene and today I waited around for 1h15m and no one showed up so I left and went home. Were gonna have a nice tournament next week though :)
Niko I said I was going to come. People did show up a little after you left. I had to eat before going and had to finish some work for school. However only 5 people including me showed up. 2kool will probably be at the next Toruny and Friday hangout. You can always text me if you want to hang out and play smash :p. I always want to improve my 64 game/or Melee and playing at 2kools house is making me better.

Cam, Wiggins, and Evan are improving thier game to and are getting slightly annoyed of my Falco and Luigi.... :p.

Niko_K

Smash Master
A lot of people said they were going and since no one had shown after that long and I was just sitting there I decided to leave. I had no idea anyone else was actually even coming and it'd be nice if people could start either showing up on time or texting me before 5 to let me know what's going on. Ryan if you're getting better you should enter the tournament you're never going to conquer the psychological part of the tournament game unless you enter and learn how to accept your current skill in comparison to others and not let it prevent you from getting beter.

I hope Cam Wiggins and Evan all enter the tournament as well as Abdul and his brother. It's hard to attract out of town players to bump our numbers to an adequate number when half the community members are uncommitted in attending tournaments which will result in us not having any tournaments at all and losing a venue for friendlies. The scene isn't going to turn into anything if everyone continues to be on the fence about their ability to have fun in a competitive setting and to not be attached to the ten dollars when it's a small price to pay to foster a community and create a scene. We need to be aware of our role in sustaining the community through our participation and without that we cannot ever see any new players join the community.

I'd like to see this turn into something consistent for everyone to look forward to. It's only once a month and any job will allow you to book in advanced. Everyones needs to make it their job to let everyone in the community know the dates of the tournament so that they can plan to attend. It's hard to enjoy playing friendlies when the people you're playing friendlies with aren't going to show their support by attending the tournaments.

/rant

RockinRudy

Smash Journeyman
A lot of people said they were going and since no one had shown after that long and I was just sitting there I decided to leave. I had no idea anyone else was actually even coming and it'd be nice if people could start either showing up on time or texting me before 5 to let me know what's going on. Ryan if you're getting better you should enter the tournament you're never going to conquer the psychological part of the tournament game unless you enter and learn how to accept your current skill in comparison to others and not let it prevent you from getting beter.

I hope Cam Wiggins and Evan all enter the tournament as well as Abdul and his brother. It's hard to attract out of town players to bump our numbers to an adequate number when half the community members are uncommitted in attending tournaments which will result in us not having any tournaments at all and losing a venue for friendlies. The scene isn't going to turn into anything if everyone continues to be on the fence about their ability to have fun in a competitive setting and to not be attached to the ten dollars when it's a small price to pay to foster a community and create a scene. We need to be aware of our role in sustaining the community through our participation and without that we cannot ever see any new players join the community.

I'd like to see this turn into something consistent for everyone to look forward to. It's only once a month and any job will allow you to book in advanced. Everyones needs to make it their job to let everyone in the community know the dates of the tournament so that they can plan to attend. It's hard to enjoy playing friendlies when the people you're playing friendlies with aren't going to show their support by attending the tournaments.

/rant

Not a big enough wall of text for a rant XD. Just kidding :p. Anyway. I talked to Abdul and his bro today. Abdul is entering the tournament. However I don't know if his bro will and Evan only plays the game for fun, if I heard him say to me once. I was kinda disappointed that Bren and Zach didn't show up alongside with you. They were there every week :p.

At the first Tournament we ever had there were some people I knew who showed up who played smash and did "competitively", but after seeing the skill set of the Toronto players they decided not to play anymore and not even want to come have fun on Friday. Even when Tod hosted a casual tournament for his regulars and for casual players no one showed up but me and brad. As much as I have fun (and hopefully everyone else, including you Niko) playing in the competitive scene, others find it not so fun after getting stomped by a "pro" or "good" player.

Melee is an old game and having new players trying to pick it up is hard and the commitment needed is a lot if you want to get to the competitive level. Back in the day I have met people who said "Why Bother?" after watching very good players compete in various games and never bothered playing the game as much or ever again because they had "No hope". TL:DR to the point, We lost a lot of potential players after the very first tournament in St. Cath's.

I play Smash 64 daily and play at a high level. But I also took into account. The game is old. Many people move on. There isn't a lot of tournaments for it anymore. Not many people are interested in picking up a almost 2 decade year old game and be good/pro at it, when I looked at Apex 2013 all of the players were in their mid 20s or 30s, I'm not going to see a Teen that is 18 or below like me (I'm the odd few) pick up the game and stay committed to it (Summer of 2010... Best Summer ever...). The community will get smaller. I'm not trying to sound like a total ass but new things come and old things go (As much as I hate to say it...).

The people who won't try is their choice and I respect it, as much as I hate seeing great games decay and bad game such as CoD thrive in competitiveness, it's just hard to get new people. With Melee being a non-online game and playing computers get very boring quick would make anyone not want to sit at their TV and practice tech skill hours on end. I also take into account that people don't have a very high end computer to run Melee on a emulator smoothly to play net-play.

Niko, Brad, and hopefully everyone else. We welcome any player into the game. This post isn't trying to stray ANYONE away from the game but rather pick up game and make the community stronger. Friendships get made and experiences won't be forgotten and most importantly it's fun :p.

P.S: I also want to bring up is why isn't everyone coming to have fun Friday night when one time we had 20+ people. :p

ZaXXoR

Smash Journeyman
I find switching characters can sometimes help improve gameplay when people are used to your main, so it may just be the simple fact that you always play fox Abdul ;)

edit: DAT SHEIK TECHSKILL.... shes so troll

RockinRudy

Smash Journeyman
I find switching characters can sometimes help improve gameplay when people are used to your main, so it may just be the simple fact that you always play fox Abdul ;)

I use Luigi now and my Wavedash as Falco seems to be more consistent then it use to be XD.

RockinRudy

Smash Journeyman

/rant
Okay, Niko.... I'm going to say this, I WILL BE AT THE STORE TODAY. I repeat WILL. So if no one shows up again I will be there :p. Also Abdule is coming.

Niko_K

Smash Master
That's great news I'll be there too :D You should come to the tournament Ryan we're gonna have a good 16 person turnout.

RockinRudy

Smash Journeyman

Lol Med$ get owned tonight. WEEGEE POWAH. Tomorrow i'm uploading the vids. If you look at them were playing really fast actually some games.

Niko_K

Smash Master
Currently waiting on Rob Gorries car and Jarred....Jarred don't say you're coming and bail like this we were supposed to team.

RockinRudy

Smash Journeyman
Battle at The Toy Trove 4

St.Catharines, ON
Canada

Results

Doubles:
http://i45.tinypic.com/6zbwxf.png

1: Linksta888 + Niko_K (Falcon + Jiggz) ($35.00)
2: Where the Hell's Mikael? PS, Where the Hell's Windrose? (Fox + Fox/Kirby) ($15.00)
3: Arab Republican (Bing & Kingpuff) (Various/Fox)
4: Mario Bros (KC & MED$)
5: Warchamp_Kai

OKAY, wish I could of made it out :p. Good Job Abdule. You made it high in singles bracket. Also KC I heard a lot about your Luigi we should play some time XD, we also should of cleaned up with Luigi doubles. Haha XD. Don't have to carry MED$ all the time XD.

Gratz Niko for getting First place with Linksta.

Niko_K

Smash Master
I can't really wrap my head around how you'll come out to allllll the friendlies but you won't come to the events once a month which support Todds shop that he allows us to play in. You'd get so much better if you played in tournament everyone plays a lot differently. Can't wait for the videos to come out Kason is gonna post most of the later videos since it's gonna be a ***** to separate that massive video file.

RockinRudy

Smash Journeyman
I can't really wrap my head around how you'll come out to allllll the friendlies but you won't come to the events once a month which support Todds shop that he allows us to play in. You'd get so much better if you played in tournament everyone plays a lot differently. Can't wait for the videos to come out Kason is gonna post most of the later videos since it's gonna be a ***** to separate that massive video file.

I have a **** ton recorded from Doubles, to me beat MED$. Instead of going in depth editing. I'l throw the 1 hour clip into movie maker and cut it quickly in that :p.

cptjiggles69

Smash Journeyman
i definitely had fun at the tournament this time. Definitely did not choke as much, and played pretty well considering i used ganon the entire time! :)

Niko_K

Smash Master
Wiggins welcome to the board!!!! Make sure you check out the character board for Melee, particularly ganon. Also watch as many videos of Kage in tournament as possible! There is a lot of match up advice in the character section and make it a top priority to learn ganondorfs frame data. How many frames the hitbox comes out, how long it stays out, how much hitstun etc. This will help you make more conscious decisions in game.

RockinRudy

Smash Journeyman
This Friday. I need Falco Match up footage. Planning on posting on the Falco boards to get some advice. For some reason I cannot beat Falco Dittos or Foxs if my life dependent on it. Nor Do I know if there is any more tech skill to know with Falco.

RockinRudy

Smash Journeyman
i definitely had fun at the tournament this time. Definitely did not choke as much, and played pretty well considering i used ganon the entire time! :)

I got your Text ;) good job. When I'm not there you apparently do better XD haha. WE GOT TO HANG OUT! "Keep it real".

Niko_K

Smash Master
OIN is definitely going to happen I'm trying to determine a summer date with all the big events happening.

Niko_K

Smash Master
I'm going to see how fast I can manage to run the tournament on the 14th to project and see whether I would be able to fit a 64 side event. I'd really like to. Also Ryan I'm gonna **** you at 64 tmrw lmao

RockinRudy

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to see how fast I can manage to run the tournament on the 14th to project and see whether I would be able to fit a 64 side event. I'd really like to. Also Ryan I'm gonna **** you at 64 tmrw lmao
Then... Lets get serious....

Money match 1 penny. -.-.

Niko_K

Smash Master
One Penny Philanhropist

Copy pase from FB Group:
See everyone at the Toy Trove today at 5pm! Ill be there earlier warming up my hands and what not.

Bren Lepp I'll bring your copy of Smash 64 and the 2x controllers + my 64 for a setup. I'm also bringing two gamecubes and two copies of Melee so 3 more setups are needed to fill the tvs.

Yeeeee!!! Can't wait to play with Wiggins Ganondorf ima make sure he becomes GG.

RockinRudy

Smash Journeyman
I blocked your **** Niko. You won 1 out of 5 matches we played ;). You have improved at the 64 game. So has Bren. Not saying im uber zomg pro like I was 2 years ago but they were fun games.

Also we had about 9 people there about 30 mins after you left -.-'.

Top Bottom