• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Niagara Thread - PR Update 07/14/2013

Niko_K

Smash Master
The Official Niagara Thread
Niagara Power Rankings
SSBM
1. Niko_K​
2. Linksta888​
3. Bing​
4.Smoke130​
5. Cam​
Honorable Mentions: Bren, Med$​
Panelists: Bing, Niko_K, Linksta,​

There are actually many of us in the region who play competitively / at higher level and we have always wanted to see the scene grow and grow. This thread is going to become the social hub for players anywhere in the Niagara region.​
I hope we can embrace this opportunity to unify players throughout the region and create a centralized location where we can host our events, build new relationships and improve all of our game as a collective.​
==================================​

Upcoming Events:
Super Smash Bros. (SSB64):
-TBA-
Super Smash Bros. Melee (SSBM):

-TBA-
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (SSBB):
-TBA-
Past Events:
Battle at The Toy Trove!
December 15th - 2012:
Battle at The Toy Trove 2! - The Chest has Been Opened!
January 12th - 2013
Battle at The Toy Trove 3! - The Chest has Been Opened!
February 16th - 2013
Battle at The Toy Trove 4!
March 23rd - 2013
Battle at The Toy Trove 6!
2007 - 2011:​
Quality Inn​
SBaN Series​
Stamford Brawl​
Only in Niagara series​
Others​
Our events are only possible because of the generosity of Todd Graves the owner of The Toy Trove who has donated his extra store space for our casuals and tournaments.​
Considering the diversity of the demographic who plays smash here in the region alongside Todds store aiming to reach for a demographic of all ages, Brad and I put together a tentative Code of Conduct in respect to our relationship to the venue. Failure to comply with these rules will more than likely result in a ban from the location or punishment based on Todds personal disposition.​
This is tentative, and as a community I encourage everyone to engage in discussing the content and function of this Code of Conduct and enable us to modify it to suit our needs for the group, as a group.​
Code of Conduct
- Bring your own controller. This can't be stressed enough. This is the nature of our community and we cannot provide for everyone who is without one.​
- If you have TVs, Gamecubes, game copies or electrical equipment such as power/extension bars you are obligated to bring them to The Toy Trove particularly for tournaments. Though it is heavily important to bring these materials to our casuals as well to maximize game time exposure for everyone.​
- As a community its our sole responsible and duty to provide the equipment necessary for our events to be run at all.​
- The consumption of alcohol / any illegal substance within or around the store is strictly prohibited. I know that some of us smoke pot but it is your responsibility to ensure that you bear no trace of it. Chew gum, brush your teeth, wash your hands, and keep your related materials within your own car. Todd will ask you to leave if you are causing the game room to smell of alcohol, weed or anything else. It is a space we share and furthermore is also a safe environment for many kids to escape from home.​
- The BO Rule: Ensure that you shower and brush your teeth before any event or tournament. At the very least wear copious amounts of deodorant and make sure someone within arms lengths cannot smell you. As discriminatory as it is, failure to comply with this rule and contribute to a space that is uncomfortable to successfully manage our events will be asked to leave.​
- Show respect to your fellow community members. We are all equals. There is a thin line for some people between joking and disrespect. Be conscious of your social substance.​
- No profanity / derogatory terms, especially the word "****" in the context of successful offensives in game. We aim to create a safe space for all who come, including the magic players and this term and many others aren't to be tossed around. Consider their meaning, and the meaning of words you choose to use.​
- Keep the volume in a range where it's acceptably audible to those participating in the tournament but also relative to the output of noise from the other half of the room used for card games. It's a shared space, let's set an example and create an atmosphere of mutual respect.​
- Pay close attention to the schedule. In order for events to run we need to be as efficient with our time as possible. Promptly report your match results to the Tournament Organizer and always obey the wishes of the TO to ensure the smooth operation of the tournament.​
-During pools and brackets no friendlies are allowed to be played. If your pool has finished take the initiative to inform other pool members that they can play their match on another TV. The same applies to bracket matches, and TV's are to be left empty for the next necessary bracket match. You must obey the TO if asked to get off a system.​

Niko_K

Smash Master
Don't miss it too much because Bing and I are going to host one that we're aiming for early June.

Niko_K

Smash Master
If we can consistently stay in touch something good would definitely happen. It's hard to get everyone together >.<

Going to Med$'s house to give him some practice today.

David we're gonna play sometime soon :D Probably tomorrow if you're at AandC

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
If we can consistently stay in touch something good would definitely happen. It's hard to get everyone together >.<

Going to Med$'s house to give him some practice today. 98 Page St Buzz 204

Some tips:

Make a facebook group

Make everyone add themselves to that group

Link that group to this thread and vice versa

Post all tournaments on that facebook group

Why this is good:

Facebook smash groups are seriously an amazingly simple way to keep people in contact with one another because you have a direct link to them

Also until SWF's search engine stuff is dealt with, smashboards is unlikely to be searched whereas facebook groups are easier to find if the person is already a member (sadly) so random people are more likely to find out about events and crap this way

The only region where I've seen this not be a case is GTA itself because so many people stumbled onto SWF or were basically forced to go to SWF in GTA but in virtually every other region (various pockets of Cali, MI, etc) the people who made and maintained the group claimed it helped a lot

ZaXXoR

Smash Journeyman

Going to Med$'s house to give him some practice today.

lol was my address and buzz # necessary :p

Niko_K

Smash Master
Great tournament and excited to get together with new players like Sam and Cam (haha), Evan, Ryan and others who I didn't get the chance to play against!

We have permission from Todd the owner of The Toy Trove to use the side room on Fridays from open until close for the purpose of SSBM casual gaming and friendlies. This is to create a centralized location where we can guarantee time for everyone to play with each other, improve on our games together as a team as opposed to opponents, and create a local community that serves us all and our hobbies.

We have left 4 nice size TVs at The Toy Trove for use on Fridays and all we ask is that if you have a Gamecube and copy of SSBM, please bring it. If all four TV's manage to get filled then just leave it in your backpack. Though I hope it becomes well known that if you have a Setup (TV and Console + Game) it is near mandatory that you attempt to get it out for the sake of the quality of our friendly meet ups.

I'm gonna try my hardest to help everyone learn the game and its intricacies. Don't be shy to ask me to help you learn any aspect of the game or even advice in a matchup vs a certain character.

Furthermore the Monthly series of tournaments being run by Brad and I will be our main influence in determining a power ranking (PR) for Niagara. We have yet to decided exactly how many panelists we will need but right now Brad and I are doing so and have formed the first tentative list based on results from yesterday.

Remember, playing games is fun, and that's why I do this on my spare time. Please keep in mind all though we strive to be better than eachother that the ultimate goal should be to sustain friendships and reach out to others who are interested in the game and could also be included.

Miller

Smash Lord
Of course Niko is ranked first on the PR ;) Ohh look at that, Niko made the thread!

Haha jokes man. Glad to hear the PR is started, its what we need to get this going again.

Bing

Smash Master

Niko_K

Smash Master
Of course Niko is ranked first on the PR ;) Ohh look at that, Niko made the thread!

Haha jokes man. Glad to hear the PR is started, its what we need to get this going again.
Aww cmon Millar if you showed you could've easily altered the results drastically. Gotta keep that alter ego going on bra ;) hahahaha

Excited for casuals friday, need to practice my tech skill

Lawlb0t

Smash Lord
It's not convenient for me to go tomorrow. I will go next week after 5 or something (unless everyone is going early).

Edit: I might come tomorrow, we will see.I'll post. Going to bed nao.

Miller

Smash Lord
The posting says it starts at 6 so if people are going ill show up. Also brad, if you think i would have gotten 13th at the tourney after i lost by 1 stock in a bo5 roy vs falco, which is your main, you're delusional ;)

Bing

Smash Master
The posting says it starts at 6 so if people are going ill show up. Also brad, if you think i would have gotten 13th at the tourney after i lost by 1 stock in a bo5 roy vs falco, which is your main, you're delusional ;)

Falco's not my main sweetie ;)

Im just joking around with you, 13th is a legit possibility seeing as I beat you in said money match, and I only got 9th XD

Niko_K

Smash Master
Brad you're really being arrogant if you actually think Miller placing 13th is a reality. He beats my Fox with various characters a lot and is consistent in tournament.

You had a bad tournament and placed 9th, doesn't mean Miller is gonna place LOWER than that because of the results of some $$$ match.

Miller could easily take first at one of our local tournaments. Try not to categorize people in our scene by skill or knowledge / smashmeter lmao. Like I said it's very diverse and we had a rare opportunity with the tournament scene during SSBB's blossom. Learn't a lot from it for both games, and I feel you need to start trying to treat Miller with more respects in your posts and IRL.

As for Miller I think you should do the same for Brad. We have an amazing thing going on here and we can't blow it because of personal feuds. Put these things aside for the greater good.

Merry christmas *****es!

Anyone want to get together and smash sometime over the holidays????? Please...

Bing

Smash Master
lol Good Guy Niko. Im not trying to be arrogant, I'm just messing around, Miller's good, I will give him that, no doubt. And you're right, we have a pretty strong scene, THATS why I'm saying that Miller getting 13th is a legit possibility, a good number of us are pretty even in skill, so any of us could see 9th/13th at any given time, thats not a stab at Miller and I'm sorry because it does look like that, but its the truth.

Niagara's Legit. **** Happens.

I'm going to ask Todd if we can use the store on boxing day, sound good?

KC18

Smash Journeyman
Merry christmas everyone! I would to get some smash in but im working the next 8 days in a row...all afternoon shifts too. lame...

Niko_K

Smash Master
If we can use the store on Boxing Day I'll definitely be there.

Is there ANY chance Fridays can start earlier?

Niko_K

Smash Master
Fantastic :D I just got my new white controller in the mail too :D So I'll have extra controllers in case any of you scragglers don't bring them :p

We should make a mandatory technique list and teach those who don't know how to use / apply them how to do either.

Bing

Smash Master
Yeah I agree, I was showing Cam how to Ledgedash and such last Friday. Also Todd said that he was fine with us going earlier, just as long as were out at around the time his tournament/event ends.

Kason Birdman

Smash Champion
Yeah I agree, I was showing Cam how to Ledgedash and such last Friday. Also Todd said that he was fine with us going earlier, just as long as were out at around the time his tournament/event ends.
da fuq is a ledge dash and how do u melee

Niko_K

Smash Master
^^ Exactly what I was thinking xD

Anyways guys we have the Trove today until 530 and I'm already here! Come bring a cube + melee and some controllers!

Don't flop!

Niko_K

Smash Master
Definitely. I can teach you and vice versa.

Everyone who has a GC/Melee/Memory Card don't hesitate to bring it just in case!

People I want to see more of:

Alex ( Peach )
Pastaboy
Pyrnight
My brother Stephen
Evan
Ryan

Top Bottom