• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Niagara Thread - PR Update 07/14/2013

Niko_K

Smash Master
The problem is no one truly cares enough about the scene and don't check the threads enough. I've stressed every time I see everyone to register on the boards. Our schedule is up here and it's a centralized place to keep in contact and keep the scene alive. The scene isn't just about friendlies, if anything that's the least important part of the scene. What's the point of playing friendlies if you're not going to measure your improvements against your peers?

People are too scared to book time off work in advanced or switch shifts and with half the people who come to friendlies not entering tournaments there isn't any momentum to continue off of.

Scenes don't stay alive on their own. Everyone needs to participate in communicating here on the board and expressing how they actually want things to go on.

I've been warning everyone that if we don't stay in touch people are gonna start doing other things with their lives. We won't have The Toy Trove for friendlies much longer if we don't have consistent entrants because we're simply taking up too much space where card playing paying customers or RP paying customers could use the space. It's gonna happen sooner than you guys realize.

I'm in the process of emptying out the basement and I'm gonna start hosting the friendlies and possibly the tournaments at my house where the venue fee goes towards food + pot bonus. The Toy Trove isn't sustainable and Todd has made it quite clear we're not an economically viable group for the store and eventually will reallocate our space to paying customers.

RockinRudy

Smash Journeyman
The problem is no one truly cares enough about the scene and don't check the threads enough. I've stressed every time I see everyone to register on the boards. Our schedule is up here and it's a centralized place to keep in contact and keep the scene alive. The scene isn't just about friendlies, if anything that's the least important part of the scene. What's the point of playing friendlies if you're not going to measure your improvements against your peers?

People are too scared to book time off work in advanced or switch shifts and with half the people who come to friendlies not entering tournaments there isn't any momentum to continue off of.

Scenes don't stay alive on their own. Everyone needs to participate in communicating here on the board and expressing how they actually want things to go on.

I've been warning everyone that if we don't stay in touch people are gonna start doing other things with their lives. We won't have The Toy Trove for friendlies much longer if we don't have consistent entrants because we're simply taking up too much space where card playing paying customers or RP paying customers could use the space. It's gonna happen sooner than you guys realize.

I'm in the process of emptying out the basement and I'm gonna start hosting the friendlies and possibly the tournaments at my house where the venue fee goes towards food + pot bonus. The Toy Trove isn't sustainable and Todd has made it quite clear we're not an economically viable group for the store and eventually will reallocate our space to paying customers.
Honestly I got into this game again because of the get together on Friday, idk why people are ditching now it was fun, it's not what it use to be back in November/December. Tod told the rest of the group that he doesn't really want to get rid of the Friday night Smash, he still thinks it's pretty cool, it actually got people to walk into the store while we were playing to check out whats going on. War Hammer 40k ( or what I assume) Takes up a bit of space, that is the map you are talking about. Also where we play, Tod is going to set up a train set on ledge there now. We will lose about 2 T.V's because of it. We were trying to figure out last Friday where to set up other T.V's. Tod also mentioned that night he is still extremely upset that the smash players have been stealing stuff from other people.

I agree that we should always be trying during our matches. Never being silly or anything. We want to get better and I defo want my Falco to be better. I got better at Wave-Shining, Learned a few things. I know most of the tech skill. Brad told me I need to do better combo's and space better. Niko is right, try to make it out Friday Night.

Windrose

Smash Lord
damnnnnn there it is in the first post like you said niko...

i never knew that was there lol...

2kool2kare

Smash Apprentice
not tryna call anyone out, but i strongly agree with niko, how are you gona show up for friendlies and miss out on the tournaments where it really matters in terms of improving and helping the scene grow more

Niko_K

Smash Master
Honestly I got into this game again because of the get together on Friday, idk why people are ditching now it was fun, it's not what it use to be back in November/December. Tod told the rest of the group that he doesn't really want to get rid of the Friday night Smash, he still thinks it's pretty cool, it actually got people to walk into the store while we were playing to check out whats going on. War Hammer 40k ( or what I assume) Takes up a bit of space, that is the map you are talking about. Also where we play, Tod is going to set up a train set on ledge there now. We will lose about 2 T.V's because of it. We were trying to figure out last Friday where to set up other T.V's. Tod also mentioned that night he is still extremely upset that the smash players have been stealing stuff from other people.

I agree that we should always be trying during our matches. Never being silly or anything. We want to get better and I defo want my Falco to be better. I got better at Wave-Shining, Learned a few things. I know most of the tech skill. Brad told me I need to do better combo's and space better. Niko is right, try to make it out Friday Night.
Smash players haven't stolen anything from anyone infact we've lost a lot of gear ourselves so it's nice to know conclusions are being drawn out of our asses. Also the train set is there now and there isn't room to run a tournament or the volume of players that attend on Friday nights. There's no other space for TVs there and I'm working on a solution.

Also Ryan I was referring to showing up on Fridays but not committing to Tournaments for the sake of community involvement and scene growth/sustenance.

RIP Toy Trove.

TPrime1

Smash Rookie
Ok, I heard about this from some other players, so I'm going to step in now and correct some things.

For starters, when I mentioned that stuff was getting stolen, I was referring to the smash players gear, and nothing else. I simply said that I am upset with the amount of thefts that have been happening, and I did not draw any conclusions as to who was doing it. I simply said that I was upset with the amount of thefts that were taking place. Some players had controllers stolen, some had systems, some had games etc. I know some players are blaming the yugioh guys, and some are blaming the smash players, but the fact is that both sides have had items stolen (referring to the yugioh players who play Smash). So, I am not going to place place blame on either. Instead, I'm making improvements to my store security so we can avoid it in the future.

Secondly, I discussed the Slot Car Track with Brad before I set it up, and we worked out a different way to setup the TV's. Niko, I did not tell you last week that I would be stopping the friendlies or the tournaments. I said that we would have to rethink how things are done, and that's exactly what we're doing. I wanted to discuss this with you when you were in the shop earlier today, but I was on the phone and you were in a hurry. I can talk to you about this next time you come in and explain what I'm thinking. The only major change that may happen is that we may have to start charging something like a $2.00 fee, and that is only because up until this point utilities have been included in my rent. That however may in change in June. If that does, then I've discussed with Brad that a $2.00 fee should be reasonable, just to help out with hydro. In any event, that will not change until June, if it changes at all.

Anyways, if people are ever concerned about how I feel about the friendlies or the tournaments, then I encourage you to talk to me about it. I think you'll find that I'm very open and understanding. There just needs to be communication.

TPrime1

Smash Rookie
One more thing, Niko, when we talked last week, one of my concerns was that the mini wargaming crowd might need more space, which was another reason why I was considering a change to the layout. However, their group has agreed on Thursday nights as their main game night. So, Fridays is no-longer a conflict. So once again, if we can stay in communication, messages like this would get across and there would be no need for panic.

Bing

Smash Master
Niko you seriously need to sit back and calm down. You're over reacting. We have a great spot to host tournaments, everyone agrees except now you. I know you bash me at every possible turn, and I've ignored it for the most part. You've openly called me out on numerous threads and behind my back like a coward, then in person act like my best homie. You have no reason to do so and because of these stupid and unnecessary tensions coming from a lot of us, not just you and I, this scene is slowly breaking. This isnt helping. We have a large group who enjoys playing at the Toy Trove, between our group, the yugioh players, whatever. Do not start breaking this up because of a misconception.

RockinRudy

Smash Journeyman
Smash players haven't stolen anything from anyone infact we've lost a lot of gear ourselves so it's nice to know conclusions are being drawn out of our *****. Also the train set is there now and there isn't room to run a tournament or the volume of players that attend on Friday nights. There's no other space for TVs there and I'm working on a solution.

Also Ryan I was referring to showing up on Fridays but not committing to Tournaments for the sake of community involvement and scene growth/sustenance.

RIP Toy Trove.
okay.... I never pointed fingers at a single person... From what I heard from Brad tonight he apparently talked to you about reasonable things that could happen. You went right to a conclusion that Tod wanted us to get the **** out and leave.

No.

That is not the case at all.

Honestly, what the hell are people suppose to do. We have lives, we need to work, we need to go to school. We get slammed at the last moment in time. LIFE SLAPS US IN THE FACE AND SAYS: "NO YOU CAN'T GO AND HAVE FUN YOU HAVE **** TO DO". Honestly Niko what do you want us to do? We all have problems as well as EVERYONE ELSE DOES, even if it's little or big.

Now... Don't get the assumption that I'm "talking on behalf of the community" again because i'm not. I have been at every Friday. Helping and playing people. We don't want to get rid of this, we want to keep it because St.Catharines has a gaming spot now other then a friends house, and hopefully a Hot spot soon. I literally died for something like this when I was little because I hated playing by myself. Now it's here.

Tod is a reasonable guy. He understands, seriously just talk to him. Make plans with him, I bet he would gladly move the race car track for 1 day or find room that one day so a tournament could be hosted. It's not that big of a deal that I feel you are making... I understand you are mad at the time change. Brad told me you could host tournaments and he could host tournaments some months and Tod would allow that. Apparently your flipping **** with a reasonable deal offered.

You mentioned you loved Niagara more then any other scene and now your ditching it. I have read the facebook chat and really.... Niko... Come on.

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
Came here because I forgot to mention I was busy on Fridays starting last week and walked in on drama, oh boy.

Niko_K

Smash Master
It's nothing against you Todd but no community has to pay premiums and I understand why you want to charge but its simply something that isn't healthy for the communities longevity in the long run. It's simply not a feasible long term solution and I never said Todd said he wanted us out. I said he told me due to our economic viability a lot of changes are going to be made and I expressed how these changes would be unsuitable for our needs as a growing community.

Also Ryan, stop sticking your nose where it doesn't belong. Brad and I had a conversation about it and told him my points about disagreeing with him. I never came to any conclusions and you need to stop amplifying the situation which has already been resolved. I'm not ditching anything Ryan you need to stop assuming things. Coming Fridays is great but if people don't come out to Tournaments the community ultimately struggles to advance. Also don't know why Brad told you I can run tournaments he says because of his and Todds agreement I'm not allowed to run things anymore so I'm not happy with the power grab attempt instead of looking who has the time and skills necessary to be in that position. Brad simply doesn't have the time and tournaments being on Sunday is simply unacceptable because of Transit schedules.

Brad I'm not sitting back while you attempt to take control of everything when you don't have the time and decision making abilities... and I'm certainly not over reacting I'm just not being complicit like you want me to. You think it's reasonable that we pay a fee to play friendlies? People already have to pay to get there via Transit or Gas, and pay venue fee(which should cover the periodic hydro use..honestly lol). This is one of the reasons I feel your lack of experience justifies why you shouldn't be making major decisions. I'm not the only person who holds these opinions either so stop trying to single me out. Furthermore I certainly don't treat you in a two faced manner these are all stupid personal problems that have nothing to do with what I'm talking about. The scene isn't dying at all and if everyone just held onto their horses we'd be able to easily figure out alternatives. It's not important whether or not we have our friendlies at a friends house or a store what matters is how well they can accommodate our needs. We can save ourselves fees that no other players pay by reverting to having our friendlies in spacious houses like my basement which can easily sport 8+ tvs. Also I don't say **** behind your back this is so ridiculous stop with the personal drama I've stated my opinions about these changes and that's all there is to it. Everyone needs to stop thinking these have anything to do with personality and yourself as an individual and realize I'm looking at the big picture. The scene isn't breaking and everyone asserting so only further implies that I'm responsible for doing so which is really sad if we're intending to make others perceive me in an untrue way.

This isn't drama but I have to say something as one of the longest standing players here who single handedly sparked/sustained a large community here whereas everyone who is arguing against me is only going through their first community experience via The Toy Trove. This is something the community will not benefit from in the long run and will only cause Todd financial difficulty because of being in the way of his expansion plus many of us are unwilling to pay fees when it's simply something we don't have to do to keep this community strong.

There are tons of solutions including using Club LaSalle in a bi monthly fashion for tournaments which will allow for out of towners to plan attendance and attract larger crowds as we can run both events in this large venue for the same price as The Trove. Friendlies can easily happen at mine weekly and furthermore will motivate people to get together as friends and play/practice during the week (this needs to happen more). Having them bi monthly in a larger venue will also allow for people to book the time off of work in advanced and justifiably so considering the amount of time in between each event. Furthermore the motivation to perform better is much greater due to the limited opportunities to prove yourself for the PR. This is how things were before, and the community has never ever seen better days.

If two people decide they wanna pay to play at Todds sure but I certainly am not paying to practice on Fridays. Once again nothing against anyone personally but this is not the right direction for the community.

Everyone needs to grow up a little and stop resorting to attempting to isolate the issue as my own, personally attack me and ignoring something we're going to have to deal with eventually.

We can operate friendlies just fine without someone needing to turn a profit. I want nothing to do with putting the community in a position of being profited from.

Again, it's nothing against you Todd. There's no need for the community to cause limitations in your ability to expand your services for other games that you host and it would be best for us to figure out something as a community.

TPrime1

Smash Rookie
If that's your stand point Niko, then that's fine, but you seem to be forgetting the fact that I said this isn't even going to be decided until June. So why the rush to give it up? Also, considering the fact that I said nothing about canceling the monthly tournaments, do you not think running a bi-monthly event at Club LaSalle would be much more expensive than the agreement we have? If the group decides to leave, then that's their decision, but I honestly think this is being blown a little out of proportion. In any event, seeing as how a fair number of the regular Friday group are my Yugioh players, I see no reason for me to not keep it going in the mean time. So, I will.

and pay venue fee(which should cover the periodic hydro use..honestly lol).
My utilities bills are not laughable Niko, and this fee wouldn't even come close to covering them (which would be unreasonable to expect a fee that would). So this is by no means a method of making money, but simply meant to releave some preasure.
We can operate friendlies just fine without someone needing to turn a profit. I want nothing to do with putting the community in a position of being profited from.
If you knew what it cost to keep the lights on in a room that size and building that old, you wouldn't be suggesting that I'm making a profit. Maybe you should try to actually talk to me about this and get the facts before making such accusations.

In regards to this issue between you and Brad, I think you should come and talk to me in person so I can share my full thoughts on why I have him running my events. However, the short of it is that he was the one who approached me and bartered the deal for your group. He comes into the shop several times a week and keeps in constant communication with me about booking events and making sure there are no conflicts. If you or anyone else want to work with him on running the events, and even take charge every so often, that's up to you guys. All I say is that I want Brad to be the lead guy on this, simply because he has been a good liason between your group and my store. This is not him power tripping, because I'm the one who said that I preferred to work with him. It's nothing against you personally. It's just because of the reasons I listed.

Niko_K

Smash Master
I realize that it isn't until June and that's why I brought it up now so we can work together as a community to figure this out.

Also Todd your store is open on Fridays whether we play friendlies or not. 6 TVs is all we're responsible for in terms of hydro and you can't tell me it adds on more than the venue fees total. It doesn't make sense to charge us for hydro that you're using anyways.

Todd I'm not making accusations it's simply true our hydro does not cost hundreds of dollars. Also I'm pretty sure it would be irrelevant whether Brad or I runs the tournaments but if I'm unable to run them which you've made it clear you want Brad to, then we're forced to let Brad manage the community when he barely even has time for it and that's just another limitation about the venue.

ZaXXoR

Smash Journeyman
I think that we should be able to figure something out, but I would definitely not start coming out for $2, because that adds up to 6-8 bucks a month, on top of tournamanet fee which would be 15-20. Wouldn't the lights be on anyways for the Magic players? all we need are televisions and gamecubes which barely take up electricity

If it isn't economically viable for Todd, maybe we could have tournaments there, and just have friendlies elsewhere, and we could also use club lasalle if we wanted to attract a bigger crowd, nothing against todd's shop, but if you look into Niko's tournament history, the turnout would not fit in that room unless it was empty.

TPrime1

Smash Rookie
If the group decides to quit the friendlies and continue the monthly tournament, then that's fine, but I do not want to hear people saying that I am ripping players off. Niko Iam going to PM you on this.

Niko_K

Smash Master
I never once said you were ripping us off and I wouldn't stand for any slandering of your store nor do so myself.

RockinRudy

Smash Journeyman
Ah Niagara drama. Well **** this ****, I'm going every month to Toronto for Smash 64 monthlies. Nice knowing this **** isn't going to work out. Also Niko I wasn't snooping when people are just straight up talking about **** and SHOWING groups what you said on Facebook. It's all there black and white and anyone in the group could read it. Brad told us about the **** between you two. Seriously come to a ****ing agreement. Tod and hopefully Brad is REASONABLE in coming out with a deal with you.

I'm not assuming anything if other people also feel the same.

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
As long as we're all whining about **** and causing drama, Niko can I get $20 for the SD card you stole from me four years ago?

RockinRudy

Smash Journeyman
Came here because I forgot to mention I was busy on Fridays starting last week and walked in on drama, oh boy.
Gotta love the Drama!

Also for whoever touched my N64. I want it back. Or pay me 60 bucks. Either way is fine

Niko_K

Smash Master
Ryan no one from the smash community took your N64 so posting here won't do you much good. That's really lameit dissapeared though.

cptjiggles69

Smash Journeyman
I think this is childish that this should end over some thing like this. If i have to pay a freaking toonie I usually spend that on coffee during the weeken anyways. I want this community to grow since i am learning a hell of a lot. I just don't get why people can not come to an agreement. Also sometimes you can not always book off time at work and it does suck but that is part of life. Honestly I liked things the way they were it was fun, let's just try to get people to come out more consistently :)

cptjiggles69

Smash Journeyman
All I want is for this to be figured out. Regardless, I am still coming out for friday nights.

RockinRudy

Smash Journeyman
Drama hopefully over. Now whats going on. Seriously. Smash boards seem really dead. Why is smash slowly departing. Niagara like suddenly disappeared. Wtf. No reply from Niko or anyone.

2kool2kare

Smash Apprentice
im prob bringing my other brother this friday hes a falco player hopefully alot of people show up this week

Niko_K

Smash Master
I've made it very clear I'm not coming to any tournaments on Sundays as the city bus stops running at 7:30pm it's simply not a viable option for me. Furthermore if I can't go to tournaments I simply don't go to friendlies and since Brad is apparently the one in charge lmfao I'm not wasting any energy into resolving the issue. You may think I'm an asshole but it's realistic. I pointed out the problems with the venue and since Brad wants to take responsibility of the entire community and not allow me to run events he should be the one dealing with it and making things viable for the community. If the entire 6 TV space can be cleared for us every Friday without a giant environment making it impossible to have the amount of TVs required and tournaments continue to be ran on Saturday for the convenience of both the locals and out of towners than we can come to some sort of resolution....

Until then, Brad changed the tournaments to Sundays cause he works Saturday (as does KC on occasion and Will all the time) which I find to be a more self centered move. So I can't attend as I expressed alongside the issues I saw and all of a sudden the entire community gives up on themselves lmfao I know it sucks he has work but he has work....you chose to live on your own so that's what you have to do to pay your way through life. Doesn't mean you have to shahit all over me in the process lol

It seems everyone is stopping because I'm not going anymore cause it's on Sundays. Carry on folks I'm just gonna start headin outta town every two weeks I simply can't come with Brad calling the shots because we'll have Sunday tournaments.

Niko_K

Smash Master
Drama hopefully over. Now whats going on. Seriously. Smash boards seem really dead. Why is smash slowly departing. Niagara like suddenly disappeared. Wtf. No reply from Niko or anyone.
I've replied. I already said I wouldn't be showing up on Sundays so I don't get why everyone else didn't go if they cared so much about the community. Ryan you don't even enter tournaments I still don't understand where you stand when it comes to the communities longevity.

Niko_K

Smash Master
So you guys can all go Friday I don't care but bring your own Cubes and Melees cause my 2 won't be there anymore. Theres no real reason for me to play friendlies here when I can start getting accustomed to Toronto's skill level and go there on a bi weekly basis. If it changes from Sunday then I'll come but meh :p Both scenes survive this way and I get mad good practice.

RockinRudy

Smash Journeyman
I've replied. I already said I wouldn't be showing up on Sundays so I don't get why everyone else didn't go if they cared so much about the community. Ryan you don't even enter tournaments I still don't understand where you stand when it comes to the communities longevity.
As I stated before. Problems. Which we all have. I am entering them again which I said on multiple times on a positive level, win or lose, have fun with it. Sucks that you and Brad are having issues. HOPEFULLY one day they will be sorted out, to get this back in order.

Top Bottom