• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Michigan Brawl Power Rankings: Season 11 Images Up!

SCOTU

Smash Hero
actually, moose, that's not really a logical perspective, because if everything were a figment of your imagination, you would have no reason or grounds to believe that it were a figment of your imagination, therefore, the only logical conclusion is that it is not a figment of your imagination.

I actually took a course on this lol.

Moooose

Smash Champion
actually, moose, that's not really a logical perspective, because if everything were a figment of your imagination, you would have no reason or grounds to believe that it were a figment of your imagination, therefore, the only logical conclusion is that it is not a figment of your imagination.

I actually took a course on this lol.
i dont know about that second line..."you would have no reason or grounds to believe that it were a figment of your imagination" is missing its obvious pair: "you would have no reason or grounds to believe that it were NOT a figment of your imagination". So no real conclusion could be reached, which is exactly what i was saying about philosophy.

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
your field gets to think about larger sums of money, but what do you think actually controls that money? What allows it to be transferred? What allows people to spend money? What simulates whatever you're thinking about with money? What gets contracted for millions of $$ just so that you can think about millions of $$s? Software. :troll:ware
I guess my field does think about large sums. But people in my field go to investment banks, hedge funds, and consulting firms. Who do you think actually plays around with millions of $$s? :troll:

SCOTU

Smash Hero
i dont know about that second line..."you would have no reason or grounds to believe that it were a figment of your imagination" is missing its obvious pair: "you would have no reason or grounds to believe that it were NOT a figment of your imagination". So no real conclusion could be reached, which is exactly what i was saying about philosophy.
note how this doesn't counter the point I made. Any Cartesian Skeptic argument made is self defeating.

Moooose

Smash Champion
well your argument was: since i have no grounds to assume A, i have to assume A is false. i'm pointing out that this part is incorrect.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
I'm actually just claiming not that you have no grounds to assume A, but rather, If you assume A you can draw no conclusion, and cannot prove anything, least of all have any reason to assume A in the first place, so any sort of conclusion can only be drawn if you assume A is false and furthermore you will never find a contradiction doing so.

Moooose

Smash Champion
okay i'll concede that point haha. but im pretty sure theres plenty of other examples of what i was trying to illustrate.

Rabbi Nevins

Smash Lord
omfg i DIED reading wtp and gios posts. Tears of laughter. Oh an im diggin this intelligent banter. Tutu philosophy is the bases of all sciences but that doesnt make it the most useful. Back in the day sure, but we make advancements for a reason. Should I use an old computer from the 70s because it was the basis for the computers now? Philosophy is an old old study. Its not something you should be actively studying about nowadays. Thinking about sure, but studying? no. Philosophy was useful back when we didnt have science, where does a philosopher get us nowadays? Nowhere.

Oh and logically Scotu is right I beleive mark, but i still love you <3 you have no given information about A and thus cant make any statements about A. I dont think he was saying A is false, he is saying A is unknown. A superposition of true and false only to be determined by the breaking down of the wavefunction OBVIOUSLY.

lain

Smash Master
POWER RANKINGSSSSSSS

yeah this thread makes my head hurt. like 11 pages of "Should Bowyer be on the PR" lol

tutu i agree with you, mostly. A deeper, fuller understanding of the world is something I believe everyone shoots to find in the beginning, and just naturally throughout their life. But come a certain point, yes, you have to make a choice.

Taking the philosophy path isn't the only way to have a better understanding of everything around you and realizing "truth". I used to feel like that, like philosophy was the only thing that could really teach me true knowledge about the workings of the world, about human nature. But it's certainly not the only thing, and Marco is right, philosophy and it's application today is far different then what philosophy was hundreds of years ago. It's almost anecdotal in a way now.

Kudos for taking philosophy though, just sayin' :x

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
WHY IS FUDGE NUMBER 2 THAT KID IS TRASH I THOUGHT MI WAS GOOD

im being completely serious.

but cool intellegent convos dudes we have never had one of those anywhere on the ATL south boards and im not bragging about that. im really envious of you guys right now..

also im just pretty certain that most philosophists had mental illnesses. not to discredit their beliefs. but usually it seems to me that it stems from an altered sense of reality or altered perception.
like that "what if the world were a figment of your imagination"
that feeling is closely linked with depersonalization/derealization, caused by anxiety.
and being caught up in endless thought circles is linked with an overactive mind or anxiety or something.
or green.
or the combination of the two.

but, i may just be throwing my own problems onto other things forreal though cuz honestly i do this alot lol

but yeah
i think we know more about life stored up in the back of our subconscious minds than we think we do, actually. like think of how confusing communication would be if you had to think out every single expression and reaction before you made it.

Rabbi Nevins

Smash Lord
rumor on the street is rabbi is getting 1st on the pr next season? Confirmation anyone?

oh and for future reference: accepting all ms. pacman money matches.

Gifts

¡Me gusta tejer!
Only reason id like to go back to game yard is to have mini golf mm's at the mini golf place down the street on the way to kfc :troll:

:phone:

lain

Smash Master
WHY IS FUDGE NUMBER 2 THAT KID IS TRASH I THOUGHT MI WAS GOOD

im being completely serious.

but cool intellegent convos dudes we have never had one of those anywhere on the ATL south boards and im not bragging about that. im really envious of you guys right now..

also im just pretty certain that most philosophists had mental illnesses. not to discredit their beliefs. but usually it seems to me that it stems from an altered sense of reality or altered perception.
like that "what if the world were a figment of your imagination"
that feeling is closely linked with depersonalization/derealization, caused by anxiety.
and being caught up in endless thought circles is linked with an overactive mind or anxiety or something.
or green.
or the combination of the two.

but, i may just be throwing my own problems onto other things forreal though cuz honestly i do this alot lol

but yeah
i think we know more about life stored up in the back of our subconscious minds than we think we do, actually. like think of how confusing communication would be if you had to think out every single expression and reaction before you made it.
1. I thought he was (hilariously) calling Judge "Fudge". That's edgy.

2. This guys is smart. And he lives in Alabama. Get destroyed.

Top Bottom