• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Marth Video Critique Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
http://www.youtube.com/user/InterimOfZeal

Check out the matches of me vs Handsome Tim.

I know I'm overly aggro/risky. I know I shouldn't dair so much. I know if I pivot grab every time he comes down, it'll work, cuz he airdodges into the perfect spot for it. I'm mainly testing things to see what I can get away with/what's good.

BUUUUUUUUUT

I still want as much concrit as possible. So, anyone that's bored, feel free to comment on my Marth.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
http://www.youtube.com/user/InterimOfZeal

Check out the matches of me vs Handsome Tim.

I know I'm overly aggro/risky. I know I shouldn't dair so much. I know if I pivot grab every time he comes down, it'll work, cuz he airdodges into the perfect spot for it. I'm mainly testing things to see what I can get away with/what's good.

BUUUUUUUUUT

I still want as much concrit as possible. So, anyone that's bored, feel free to comment on my Marth.
Since it's multiple matches, I'll only make crucial points:

- Your are too aggressive, as Marth ***** Wario if he camps him with aerial walls.
- Sometimes you are too fancy, in a serious game, do not repeat things that do not work, as they most likely won't work again (atleast in that situation). Your just repeatly put in a bad situation for Marth, which makes everything unfancy, ya digg?
- Your recovery is too predictable, aswell as your ledge options. Ever time he was murdering on the ledge, work on mixing up your recovery options, and what you do to get back on stage.
- Pivot Grab > Dash Grab
- If you dash in, unless your in danger, do not dash back out! Only reposition when your not safe, as your giving up ample stage control by dashing back and forth. This ain't Melee boi!!!

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Since it's multiple matches, I'll only make crucial points:

- Your are too aggressive, as Marth ***** Wario if he camps him with aerial walls.
- Sometimes you are too fancy, in a serious game, do not repeat things that do not work, as they most likely won't work again (atleast in that situation). Your just repeatly put in a bad situation for Marth, which makes everything unfancy, ya digg?
- Your recovery is too predictable, aswell as your ledge options. Ever time he was murdering on the ledge, work on mixing up your recovery options, and what you do to get back on stage.
- Pivot Grab > Dash Grab
- If you dash in, unless your in danger, do not dash back out! Only reposition when your not safe, as your giving up ample stage control by dashing back and forth. This ain't Melee boi!!!
.Tyty, Tim was telling me that I was too aggro, too.
.Makes sense. Getting hit repeatedly isn't too fancy. Thanks, I think this comment will actually help a good deal, since I never thought of it like that before.
.What should I do to vary my ledge options? I have some ideas for recovery, but I feel so helpless on the edge now that you have to wait out invincibility. :(
.I'm working on pivot grabbing, it pretty much *****.
.Will work on not relinquishing control. It's just weird to be able to pressure most characters without them being able to safely respond. Still wrapping my mind around it.

Thanks for your feedback.

MORE PEOPLE SHOULD HALP!

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
dashing forward> roll backword is really useless

nice marth though
A lot of the time you see it happen, I'm trying to truepivot>pivot grab

But sometimes, I do it cuz I get scurred

I forget Marf has a sword :F

tyty

EDIT:

Is there a trick to release grab>reverse ss fsmash tipper on wario? Cuz I keep missing it. I dunno if it's a timing thing, or I'm not actually ssing, or what, but I'm really really really inconsistent with it.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
One of the ways I do it
is stutter step forward into a reverse fsmash

i.e.

w
_M

Inputs:

<- [Dash forward] | -> [Stutter step reverse] | FSMASH.

Reverse Fsmash looks smexy.
Yeah, that's what I try to do. Do you just do it as quickly as possible, or is there a timing thing?

Conti

Smash Ace
Hi my friend is new to marth so im posting these... he honestly has no clue what hes doing so... critique him and tips n stuff... thanks for watching... and if you would like... critique me a bit too if u know a bit about diddy ;) Thankss

Conti (Diddy) Vs Phoenix Lord (Marth) 2/25/2010: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY-HL_Ntk3A

Conti (Diddy) Vs Phoenix Lord (Marth) Friendly 2/26/2010: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgGnl5Vkfsk

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Noooooooooooooooooo

Any visual cues that I should be aware of?
Look at the animation... theres not much visual cues to go by :(
I just look at Marths animation to try and do it as fast as possible after his sword reaches his side (i.e. he can move)

Hi my friend is new to marth so im posting these...
Im sorry, but I cant really stand to watch mobile phone recordings, hopefully someone else picks it up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNcrr-YblUE

Im a new marth so heres a fight KEN COMBO!
Dont dair so much man :( Also pick your attacks better (as in you dont always need to throw out an aerial or attack just as you land, youd be amazed how much waiting just a brief moment can change things).
But yeah, you dair TOO MUCH.
You dont need to dair if someones off stage 100% of the time.
If you are above someone you dont need to dair to try and save yourself as you land. Try doing a db1 to stall your height as a mixup to get back on the ground more safely.

-Kiros-

Smash Journeyman
Rain, you seem to have spacing issues, especially for the first portion of the match. You either miss attacks or just bad at zoning. You seem to be in the zone right between committing to an attack or backing out. You must choose, wisely. You use Fsmash too much, Emblem Lord would've gouged his eyes out. 1:52 what?!? It's OK to end DB early. Peach was charging, you were far enough away to end the combo. And... BOB-OMB!!! My friend pulled 3 of those in a match once, no lie I got the video. I noticed that your Fair usage was always fastfalled. You'd SH, wait, and FFFair. Mix it up. And don't use Dair over land. Like, ever. Your spacing gets better as the match goes on, but still using too much Fsmash. Don't even try to zone with Fsmash, it's impossible. Marth's smashes are too easily punished. I only use them if I know they will hit. Near the end, a good Peach would've KO'd you at 5:12.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNcrr-YblUE

Im a new marth so heres a fight KEN COMBO!
One thing I noticed is that you don't really space... but you are new. Learn the length Marth's sword and attack at maximum range, making sure that you are out of your opponent's attack zone but your opponent is inside yours. It is crucial to becoming a decent Marth. Don't use UpB to hit an opponent above you, they can counterattack way too easily. Shaya's right, don't use Dair over land. Use DB more to punish instead of Fsmash, a good player will punish. Same with Dsmash. Practice SH too so you can do it when you want, every time you want. Also, I generally don't like to use my Double Jump to reach a character above my head (especially if my opponent still has a jump(s) left) as they can dodge your attempted attack and hit you offstage with no jumps left. But that's just me. Dash attacks are a no. And listen to Shaya, he/she (idk) knows what he/she's talking about.

Good luck with your Marth!

I like some criticism on my Marth/ tips please.
Thanks

Marth vs. Snake
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgqNNN7zDT8
I personally think that you use Fair too much, but whatever fits your style, and you space them very well. Don't use Fsmash to punish, DB is safer. I only use Fsmash if I absolutely know it will connect. No Dash Attacks either (1:30 was it an accident?). You seem to know how to fight UFO's Snake very well, but I didn't see many grabs. Marth's grab game is good, so use appropriately. At 2:53, you could've punished him but it looked like you spotdodged by reaction? Overall, I don't have much to say. Maybe someone better can coach you on the finer points.

-Kiros-

Smash Journeyman
You can never use Fair too much, especially against Snake. However, you can incorrectly space Fair too much, which is probably what you meant.
O.o what was I thinking?

You're right, I had a brain slip-up there. Thanks.

However, looking back at the video, I see that you were only zoning with Fair (talking to vid poster). Ignore my comment.

Noob question here coming from me! If you hit a shield with an attack it doesn't decay or refresh your moves, right? But hitting something (clanking, trading aerial hits, hitting Wario's bike) does in fact decay or refresh, correct? :urg: I never knew for sure...

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
O.o what was I thinking?

You're right, I had a brain slip-up there. Thanks.

However, looking back at the video, I see that you were only zoning with Fair (talking to vid poster). Ignore my comment.

Noob question here coming from me! If you hit a shield with an attack it doesn't decay or refresh your moves, right? But hitting something (clanking, trading aerial hits, hitting Wario's bike) does in fact decay or refresh, correct? :urg: I never knew for sure...
I'm pretty sure shields decay attacks too.

dean.

NNID
dean7599
3DS FC
1435-4425-6023
Which includes stage obsticles.
So it's not a bad idea you refresh your moveset by jabbing Brinstar pillars/Castle Siege statues between stocks.
You see players like mikeHAZE dairing/Mew2King bairing the Smashville balloon for this purpose.

C.R.Z

Smash Lord
Rain, you seem to have spacing issues, especially for the first portion of the match. You either miss attacks or just bad at zoning. You seem to be in the zone right between committing to an attack or backing out. You must choose, wisely. You use Fsmash too much, Emblem Lord would've gouged his eyes out. 1:52 what?!? It's OK to end DB early. Peach was charging, you were far enough away to end the combo. And... BOB-OMB!!! My friend pulled 3 of those in a match once, no lie I got the video. I noticed that your Fair usage was always fastfalled. You'd SH, wait, and FFFair. Mix it up. And don't use Dair over land. Like, ever. Your spacing gets better as the match goes on, but still using too much Fsmash. Don't even try to zone with Fsmash, it's impossible. Marth's smashes are too easily punished. I only use them if I know they will hit. Near the end, a good Peach would've KO'd you at 5:12.
ok cheers. i did spam abit that match i think, and the dair thing was just mistake/nerves i guess lol (im so inconsistant).thanks for everything, ill make sure i review my marth gameplay :)

Henshen13

Smash Rookie
I personally think that you use Fair too much, but whatever fits your style, and you space them very well. Don't use Fsmash to punish, DB is safer. I only use Fsmash if I absolutely know it will connect. No Dash Attacks either (1:30 was it an accident?). You seem to know how to fight UFO's Snake very well, but I didn't see many grabs. Marth's grab game is good, so use appropriately. At 2:53, you could've punished him but it looked like you spotdodged by reaction? Overall, I don't have much to say. Maybe someone better can coach you on the finer points.
Thanks for the tips, and at 1:30 I was going for the nair, I suppose I tapped the jump button too lightly :ohwell:

Conti

Smash Ace
Reposting for the sake of my friend needing a critique... please help him :] thanks

Reposting for the sake of my friend really needing a critique, plz check it out... thankss
Hi my friend is new to marth so im posting these... he honestly has no clue what hes doing so... critique him and tips n stuff... thanks for watching... and if you would like... critique me a bit too if u know a bit about diddy ;) Thankss

Conti (Diddy) Vs Phoenix Lord (Marth) 2/25/2010: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY-HL_Ntk3A

Conti (Diddy) Vs Phoenix Lord (Marth) Friendly 2/26/2010: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgGnl5Vkfsk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom