• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Illinois / Wisconsin Brawl Power Rankings Thread! *NEW UPDATE (1-22-12)*

Akashi

Smash Lord
So guys

I was thinking about starting up a donation bank which would go to helping, or paying in full, a smasher from OoS (preferably far away, like EC or WC) to attend our tournaments. It would be a great incentive for OoS players to come and play the funded player, and it would also create more hype for our tourneys. Obviously, that would cost quite a lot, so here are some ideas:

1. Adding an optional venue fee to each tournament. You can donate x amount (let's say $5 for argument sake), or choose not to donate at all.
  2. Taking a small % of the singles, doubles, or both's earnings and putting it in the donation. Something as simple as not paying out to 4th place, or taking like $10~$20 from 1st/2nd could meet requirements quicker.
  3. Just donating whenever you can. This one is pretty basic.

I know this is controversial because adding ANY additional sum of money to tournaments is bothersome. That's why I would love it to be completely and 100% non-profit, and for us to have no deadlines as to when we'll get a smasher to come in. That way, nobody feels pressured to do anything irrational.

I would also like to mention that I would gladly start filling the pot and would put a generous amount in. Maybe $50~100 =).

What do you guys think?

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
Most OoS players that I'd really like to see at one of locals would probably end up getting 1st and getting their trip paid for anyways lmao.

I mean, we let Cheese get 2nd... (no offense to Cheese... just **** ICs lol)

Regardless I would probably donate $5 or so if I knew who we were inviting beforehand.

Akashi

Smash Lord
Most OoS players that I'd really like to see at one of locals would probably end up getting 1st and getting their trip paid for anyways lmao.

I mean, we let Cheese get 2nd... (no offense to Cheese... just **** ICs lol)

Regardless I would probably donate $5 or so if I knew who we were inviting beforehand.
That's great then. Too Good Gaming did this as well, and whenever the OoS made $, they would have to give back a certain %. I think that would be a fair deal.

Personally I'd love to have one of top (non-mk) players from WC or EC come. I'm terribly biased, so obviously I'd want Mikehaze... :p

_Kain_

Smash Champion
Don't think any OoS players would want to come to MK banned tournaments. EC and WC are heavy anti ban. Only safe bet are southern players, or weird Mid Tier players

Zicore

Smash Champion
I've never heard of people *****ing so much for gas n "wear and tare" on their cars. Coming from someone who drove well over 20,000 miles in his car picking up everyone who was scattered about in wisconsin to go to illinois or kansas or ohio or where ever the game was being played, I never once charged more then $50 for gas, nor did I never NOT pay, save once or twice for short trips. You are driving to play a fricken game. I'm sure you'd rather pay an extra couple bucks to get to a tournament and have awesome people ride along with you then drive by yourself and pay for everything because you couldn't be friendly. There were very few wisconsinites that were willing to drive anywhere OoS, and most of them were much farther south then the people who wanted to go.

The whole point is the car ride and enjoying the company of others man. As a driver, I knew the risks of being one of the only people to drive, but I wasn't greedy or asking for extra money. If your parents are being ****s about it and charging you, then that is your problem. Don't offer your car up. I agree with oro on this one. You can't play the "what if" card unless you have had a serious problem occur. A flat tire isn't a serious problem. A broken radiator is a serious problem, but lets face it, most of the problems would occur at some point in time, regardless if you are driving to and from tournaments.

Stop worrying about petty things, and focus on the important things, like having fun, not bickering like little *****es and sounding like 5 year olds, and ENJOY YOURSELVES. You are gonna spend a fortune on an OoS tournament anyways, stop making it harder on the others.

Edit: I'm quite drunk. And ranting. This whole convo just bothered me from the standpoint that I drove to almost every single tournament I ever went to. And not ONCE did any of this garbage ever come up.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
I've never heard of people *****ing so much for gas n "wear and tare" on their cars. Coming from someone who drove well over 20,000 miles in his car picking up everyone who was scattered about in wisconsin to go to illinois or kansas or ohio or where ever the game was being played, I never once charged more then $50 for gas, nor did I never NOT pay, save once or twice for short trips. You are driving to play a fricken game. I'm sure you'd rather pay an extra couple bucks to get to a tournament and have awesome people ride along with you then drive by yourself and pay for everything because you couldn't be friendly. There were very few wisconsinites that were willing to drive anywhere OoS, and most of them were much farther south then the people who wanted to go.

The whole point is the car ride and enjoying the company of others man. As a driver, I knew the risks of being one of the only people to drive, but I wasn't greedy or asking for extra money. If your parents are being ****s about it and charging you, then that is your problem. Don't offer your car up. I agree with oro on this one. You can't play the "what if" card unless you have had a serious problem occur. A flat tire isn't a serious problem. A broken radiator is a serious problem, but lets face it, most of the problems would occur at some point in time, regardless if you are driving to and from tournaments.

Stop worrying about petty things, and focus on the important things, like having fun, not bickering like little *****es and sounding like 5 year olds, and ENJOY YOURSELVES. You are gonna spend a fortune on an OoS tournament anyways, stop making it harder on the others.

Edit: I'm quite drunk. And ranting. This whole convo just bothered me from the standpoint that I drove to almost every single tournament I ever went to. And not ONCE did any of this garbage ever come up.
To be fair, there was only one person *****ing about it, the rest of us had the same opinion as you.

Zicore

Smash Champion
To be fair, there was only one person *****ing about it, the rest of us had the same opinion as you.
Sorry, I couldn't decipher it through all the brawl. My bad.

Also, I was drunk and I can't tell all your names apart.

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
Dude it's great that you drove smashers to tournaments. It's really generous of you. But you need to realize that you spent hundreds (maybe even 1000+) more dollars than them. To get to the same exact place, every single time. And yet you had to foot that bill alone.

I mean I'm not gonna be patronizing and try to make it seem like you don't know the price of operating a car... I just think you're ignoring it right now because no one wants to admit that Smash road trips are actually about 3x more expensive than what we're paying.

In our eyes, the system we have right now is good... because it works. Everyone only has to worry about paying gas, and the driver just deals with whatever early costs comes his way because "welp he knew the costs of driving when he offered to drive".

The problem is, these costs don't just disappear. And passengers don't want to admit this, so they just resort to calling the driver "greedy" when he asks for more money.

The fact is, when we go OoS, we NEED a driver. It isn't "optional" and it isn't "voluntary". Do you think people volunteer to drive because it's fun? Because they want to show off their car? Because it's more convenient?

Get real. Drivers volunteer because they're nice, and because they know that if they don't volunteer, no one else will. And the moment they type "Sure I'll drive" and hit Submit, CHA-CHING, there goes $115 down the drain. And you guys are completely taking advantage of their kindness and generosity by not offering to help them cut down that $115.

And not only does the driver have to pay all that money, but he needs to stay awake the entire trip, avoid getting into an accident, AND pick up/drop every single person in the car off at home before he gets to go home. And you guys want him to pay an extra $115.

Zicore, the point I'm trying to make is that a road trip doesn't cost the driver...
an extra couple bucks
"an extra couple bucks" is like, $3, $5, maybe $10.

it actually costs around...
That is most certainly NOT "an extra couple bucks". And if you're OK with having paid that much money ALL BY YOURSELF, then that's great and extremely generous of you. But please don't use it as a reason to call me greedy for asking people to chip in to cover this exorbitant cost.

Besides I'm not gonna drive OoS anymore so it doesn't matter to me anyways. Have fun on the Megabus guys. (I actually mean it, Megabus is very cost efficient compared to driving and would probably be a better way for us to get to tourneys anyways).

Kappy

Smash Ace
NNID
SwagTrain
3DS FC
2964-9085-1107
Zicore, a flat tire can be a serious problem if you're driving more than 65 mph and it goes flat in any way that would cause temporary loss of control of your car. Don't try to mitigate the severity of a flat tire when it can be just as deadly to everyone in the car as a malfunctioning radiator.

I'm assuming you were factoring in cost of repair for those problems (at least I hope you were, otherwise trying to mitigate the severity of a flat tire is... really dumb), because yes, buying a new tire does indeed cost less than repairing a broken radiator, but that should not be taken into account when talking about "serious" problems that can end up in lives being lost. All "serious" problems on the highway, whether it be a flat tire or just two cars grazing each other, can be a serious problem.

And I actually agree with DLA. LOL.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Klappy... he never said anything about serious problems happening to a vehicle. If something like that happened, I hope the people in the car would be willing to help fix it at least as much as they can.

The point is, Tom wants us to pay hidden costs, and I say hidden, because honestly, I doubt the extra $10-20 you get from each person to cover the "wear and tear" is really gonna go into the future repairs of the car. In reality, he would probably use the money to buy more gas, or food or something. There's not really a reason for people to have to pay extra money to go into car costs that don't actually exist (at the time).

Quik17

Smash Ace
The real question people should be asking is what the hell is Zicore doing reading the Illinois Brawl Power Rankings thread.

Edit: #TeamDLA

Kappy

Smash Ace
NNID
SwagTrain
3DS FC
2964-9085-1107
A busted radiator/flat tire doesn't happen to vehicles? I disagree. How is Zicore comparing the two problems and their "seriousness", then? The only other way is cost to me. I do agree with your hidden costs argument, though, because that's far more likely than someone keeping a stash of wear'n'tear money for actual car maintenance. LOL

Oro, just because you styled on that flat tire doesn't mean everyone else will. Not everyone's as godlike as you are. LOL. Had you asked for some extra money for your purchasing of a new tire I would've given you some.

I'm not advocating DLA's position (despite my agreement with it economically) because, as Zwarm pointed out, that money likely won't go towards car maintenance. Zicore's drunken raving was wrong, however, about "serious" problems, and I'm pointing out how it is wrong. I agreed with him about the 'enjoying the ride' bit. LOL

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
The point is, Tom wants us to pay hidden costs, and I say hidden, because honestly, I doubt the extra $10-20 you get from each person to cover the "wear and tear" is really gonna go into the future repairs of the car. In reality, he would probably use the money to buy more gas, or food or something. There's not really a reason for people to have to pay extra money to go into car costs that don't actually exist (at the time).
I'm not sure you understand the concept of wear and tear.

Think of buying a new car like filling an enormous tank of gas. You will get a certain amount of miles out of that car, just like how you will get a certain amount of miles out of that tank of gas. Once you use up all of the miles on that car, you need to buy a new car. Just like how if you use up all of the miles in your gas tank, you need to refill.

Yes, owning a car is more complicated than filling a gas tank, due to repairs and such. But all of that is actually irrelevant in regards to wear and tear, since for our argument, you can just add repairs to the total cost of the car.

There are also things you can do to make your car last longer, but that's also irrelevant, just like how you can do things to save gas while you're driving. Because either way, you're going to need to fill up (in other words, buy a new car) eventually.

So basically, just like how your car has a gas meter, it also has a theoretical "wear and tear meter" that gets emptier and emptier the more miles you put into it. And once that "wear and tear meter" runs out, you need to buy a new car. Which, incidentally, is quite expensive.

Just because a cost is "imaginary at the time" doesn't mean it's imaginary when you need to buy a new car 6 months earlier than you'd otherwise have to. Those 6 months may be the difference between owning a total of 4 cars in your lifetime, and owning a total of 5 cars in your lifetime. That's a LOT of extra money.

So why should passengers help pay for the "wear and tear meter"? It's just a normal part of owning a car, right?

Actually no, since if the driver doesn't take his car on the road trip, he doesn't have to put those 500 miles on the "wear and tear meter."

The problem is, if we're going to go OoS, then SOMEONE needs to put those 500 miles on his car. And whoever volunteers shouldn't have to pay for it by himself.

Zicore

Smash Champion
I was well aware of the "damage" I was doing to my car. But at the same time, wear and tare is gonna happen, regardless if you're driving or, in this case, your parents are. And whoever brought up the point that the money probably isn't going to the wear and tare right away is absolutely right. The only time I asked anything extra aside from gas was when I got my oil changed before the trip. Mainly because it's safer to drive on a fresh oil change if you are going 1000+ miles. I am aware how much money I spent more then these other people, but I knew these "risks" beforehand. But that is what you are offering when driving.

I totally was offering to drive for the sake of a fun road trip. Look at this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sVWWBX0xi0
THAT is the reason I drove everywhere. If you are nit-picking at "what-ifs" and such, then you don't get to have this kind of time. I'm sure that the people who rode with me wouldn't have minded it, but you know what, who cares? Ware and tare is gonna happen. Maybe not at that point in time, but eventually it happens. I mean, this is a completely pointless argument for the fact that if people don't wanna pay it, they don't have to. But that takes away from the fun of the game, which isn't supposed to happen.

Also, I don't think a flat tire CAN'T be a serious problem, i've just never had one happen, thank god. I would like to thank videogames for helping yall out if that happened and you survived it without a scrath, mainly mario kart :D

Quik: I was just bringing up a point.

I just don't think its fair to charge people that kind of money if you aren't 100% gonna use it for "ware and tare". Unless I see a bill, I wouldn't give anyone ****. Oil changes are AT MOST $40, unless your car is really a PoS and needs the high high end, but lets face it, you probably shouldn't be driving it OoS anyways, considering the risk. So unless you're getting your radiator flushed, tires rotated, and belts changed/tightened every time you go OoS, I don't think the charges are necessary.

#Team Bug City 4 lyfe

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
I'm sure that the people who rode with me wouldn't have minded it, but you know what, who cares? Ware and tare is gonna happen. Maybe not at that point in time, but eventually it happens. I mean, this is a completely pointless argument for the fact that if people don't wanna pay it, they don't have to. But that takes away from the fun of the game, which isn't supposed to happen.
The fact is that wear and tear doesn't happen if you don't drive. If someone else drives, your car takes no wear and tear. That makes your car last 500/1000/whatever miles longer until you need to buy a new one. And the longer your current car lasts, the less chance there is that you will have to buy another car in your lifetime, which would save you thousands of dollars.

This is really what my argument boils down to. And it's pretty hard to argue with it IMO.

Zicore

Smash Champion
so what exactly do you use that money you charge for "ware and tare" on? Im confused by this. Like I stated earlier, unless I saw a bill of some sort, I wouldn't give **** on that. Not to mention, if you go along the lines of what hunger does, which means you don't pay for gas, that seems quite unfair.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
I get it, but the extra money you would have us pay would literally go toward nothing. If you opened a savings account and put the extra money in there for your next car, I would buy it, but for now, it's just not worth it. It's like saying you shouldn't drive your car ever, because eventually it will die.

On that note, I would probably be willing to drive to stuff now, since it seems like our usual drivers are stepping down. No need to make the Melee kid keep driving us to Brawl tournaments. :smirk:

Top Bottom