• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Illinois / Wisconsin Brawl Power Rankings Thread! *NEW UPDATE (1-22-12)*

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Sooooo who wants to go to Michigan next weekend? Kain and I are willing to go if we can get a full car. Which means a driver and 2 more peeps.

Mike, want to take your car on its first OoS voyage? ;)
What's the tourney? I've been talking about a MI tourney coming next week to some of the smashers lately and they didn't know what I was talking about.

I'm willing to tag along.

Oro?!

Smash Hero
I would understand that if he was a taxi driver or something. If you are voluntarily offering to drive somewhere, I don't understand why something like that should be included.

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
whoa

whoa

whoa

WHOA

Cars have other costs besides gas? I had no idea!

Let's make the person who graciously volunteers his car for OoS trips pay these costs! Seems fair to me! What a great incentive for a driver, knowing that wear and tear will make an OoS trip cost at least twice as much money for him than for all of his passengers! Oooh, let me drive next!

edit: not to mention that his car can get totaled by an idiot driver at any second. Glad the passengers don't have to worry about their own cars getting destroyed!

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
I've actually wondered why more drivers don't charge more than just gas. Not like an incredible amount extra, but I think it makes sense.

Thankfully, I don't have such a problem.
No1go2tournamentswith:(

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
Average wear and tear costs for a vehicle is 23 cents per mile. Going to Ann Arbor and back is over 500 miles. .23 x 500 = $115.

Yes, it costs $115 for the driver to drive to an Ann Arbor tournament. And that's without adding his share of the gas in.

I mean seriously, why wouldn't the passengers chip in for that? And why the **** should I drive you guys anywhere if I'm literally paying SIX TIMES what everyone else is paying?

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
So much :salt:

So you offer up my new car instead, thanks bro. :smirk:

:phone:
lol I was joking about your car. The only reason I've ever driven OoS is because I was taking one of my parents' cars, and they weren't charging me for wear and tear. If I owned my own car, there's no way I'd take it OoS if I wasn't being properly reimbursed.

IIRC, my parents now want to charge me 6 cents per mile for road trips... so for a 500-mile Ann Arbor trip, that would only be $30 extra. Divided by 5 people, that's only $6 extra per person. It's very generous, considering the fact that it's really costing them 4x more than that... yet for some reason, Barns thinks it's "absurd" to pay an extra $6 each.

edit: and I'm getting my own car and moving out soon, so unless you guys are willing to pitch in for wear and tear from now on, then we're going to have a very hard time going to OoS tournaments...

_Kain_

Smash Champion
No one blames you for charging wear and tear LMAO. Just understand some people will say "**** it I'm not going anymore or don't want to go anymore cause that's too much"

I don't think many people in the smash community charge for wear and tear, just gas money. If your willing to put your car up then you know the cost it will have on your car, usually people don't charge for wear and tear cause they themselves want to go to that tourny, if they get no one to go with them they have to pay full gas and wear and tear, or not go at all.

In other words don't get mad about wear and tear, just don't offer your car up to go and it's all good.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
I mean, I'll probably be willing to drive OoS now that I'm getting this car, I'll just charge a hidden fee and not tell you guys. :smirk:

Oh wait.

_Kain_

Smash Champion
I mean, I'll probably be willing to drive OoS now that I'm getting this car, I'll just charge a hidden fee and not tell you guys. :smirk:

Oh wait.
Just charge 30$ for gas and don't say wear and tear, say it costs 200$ for gas, unless they check gas mileage and stuff...

GOT EM

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
Well if no one offers to drive then no one goes to OoS tournaments. Simple as that. It IS an option, but it's a really ****ty option.

I have a hard time believing that just because someone has a car, it makes them want to go OoS more than anyone else. In fact I'd bet that it makes no difference whatsoever. Passengers want to go OoS just as much as drivers.

It's just that passengers don't actually have to admit how much they want to go, because once they do admit it, then the "I'm going with you just so you have someone to split gas with" argument doesn't work anymore. Which means they (should be) obligated to split wear and tear costs as well.

Most drivers in the Smash community don't charge for wear and tear because either
A. they have no idea how much wear and tear is actually costing them, or
B. they know that the lazy, cheap-*** smashers will complain and be less likely to go OoS if they have to pay more money.

The only way for this to stop is if smashers stop going OoS if they don't have enough money to help with wear and tear. Simple as that.

If you're too poor to go OoS then that's fine, no one blames you.

It's the people who claim that they have enough money to pay for gas but NOT enough to pay for wear and tear... these guys are the ones who are really ****ing the drivers over, because they're the ones who make the drivers feel guilty for charging money that is rightfully theirs.

Either you have enough money to go OoS or you don't. If the little extra wear and tear money is the deciding factor for you to go OoS or not, then here's a protip: stay home, you don't have enough money to go OoS.

(BTW I wouldn't charge you guys for 23 cents per mile. If I'm taking a parent's car then I'd do 6 cents per mile (what they charge me), and if it's my own car, I'd probably charge an extra 50% of whatever you give me in gas for wear and tear. So if you give me $20 in gas I'd ask for another $10)

edit: had to leak this salt onto AIB lol... http://allisbrawl.com/blogpost.aspx?id=133385

_Kain_

Smash Champion
Dude I'm going to put it simple this way

To go to Revenge you wanted to charge 40$

If I had bought a Megabus ticket earlier, I could of got to Cincinnati for prolly 20$ or less. And we ended up going to revenge for less than that with Hoooonger

No one is saying your wrong, but when other people are willing to do without the wear and tear and you aren't, no one is going to want to ride with you.

I go with whoever is most convenient, or I'll megabus if I have too when I really want to go to a certain MW tourny. If I win money I usually give more money cause I know drivers do a favor to smashers ( OR I BUY DIEGO TACO BELL!!!)

_Kain_

Smash Champion
YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE!!!

Except King when he comes, but he's not in Chicago this semester

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
I don't get your point though... It's not like I WANT to volunteer my car for road trips... I just do because no one else would, and we wouldn't be able to go OoS if I didn't volunteer.

If hunger wants to drive and not charge for wear then thats his own choice... Just because he doesnt charge for wear doesnt mean that he SHOULDNT. If he wants to foot the $115 bill for a 6 hr roadtrip himself then he should feel free.

I dont care if you guys would rather drive with someone else... Because if there's someone else who can drive, then I don't have to drive anyways since I can just be a passenger. But if I'm the only driver available, then no one should be a **** and complain about chipping in for wear and tear. If you don't have enough money to go, then don't blame me for charging wear and tear... Blame yourself for being too broke to pay for an OoS trip... Because it's gonna cost $115 whether you chip in or not, and the driver shouldnt be stuck with that ****.

:phone:

Oro?!

Smash Hero
There is no point or debate. Simply saying if you are the only potential driver OOS and you are charging wear and tear, then I'm not down. If I had a nice job and made all the $$$ I would still feel this way.

Arty

Smash Lord
I always felt that drivers OOS don't charge enough. Even if you don't count the added costs/huge potential risks of flat tire/ticket/accident, drivers still get the short end of the stick. Having to drive an absurd amount of time, especially in the night when you're tired as hell. Having to drop everyone off. Not being able to sleep/play games or anything, but just drive.

**** that lol, and you guys expect drivers to pay the same amount? That's why I never take/offer up my car for long OOS trips. And this is coming from someone that has never charged for gas lol.

Edit: Hunger's rule is legit

_Kain_

Smash Champion
DLA quit being a saltmonster

No one is saying your wrong for charging wear and tear, just if people are unwilling to pay that then leave it at that. Everyone charges there own way

All I'm saying is...if your the only person that can drive OoS...

#megabusrider4lyfe

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
Actually Barns is pretty much exactly saying that I'm wrong for charging wear and tear. He's pretty much the only person I'm arguing with at this point... everyone else seems to generally agree with me.

Anyways I'm done talking about it, everyone should just know that whenever I charge gas, I'm going to add another half of the gas cost for wear and tear. If you don't like it then don't ask me for a ride.

(Though until I get my own car, I'll only charge extra if we're taking a road trip, since that's when my parents charge me.)

hunger!

Smash Champion
Ricky, please invest in some Hooked on Phonics and learn how to correctly use the words: "your" and "you're". You illiterate Hispanic *phuck* (censordodgin'4lyfe)

Oro?!

Smash Hero
No you are fine to do what you want in regards to charging, I am just saying I am not going with you if you do make those charges. I can't stop you lol.

And Arty, coming from someone who has had to deal with a flat tire, and always driving back late at night from OOS, even when it wasn't my car, I still don't mind that stuff. You can't really take that into account, and I don't like charging for "what ifs". I don't really mind driving back at night either, I just can't do it like 4 times a month.

Everyone do their own thing. Stop being salty.

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
I learn really fast under pressure

the question is... would it be fast enough?

Top Bottom