• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Illinois / Wisconsin Brawl Power Rankings Thread! *NEW UPDATE (1-22-12)*

Scythe

Smash Master
yo zicore the other day i had to go for training for a side job and it was at your old place where you lived, i was like wtf

ook

Smash Lord
I get it, but the extra money you would have us pay would literally go toward nothing. If you opened a savings account and put the extra money in there for your next car, I would buy it, but for now, it's just not worth it. It's like saying you shouldn't drive your car ever, because eventually it will die.

On that note, I would probably be willing to drive to stuff now, since it seems like our usual drivers are stepping down. No need to make the Melee kid keep driving us to Brawl tournaments. :smirk:
This is a good point though.

I, for one, would like to deposit my money directly into a jar labled "Tom's car fund" rather than to DLA's wallet. It'd be cool.

not that I'm going to any OoS tournaments any time soon

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
The money I would charge for wear and tear is for the cost of the operation of my current car. It's not that hard guys.

It's like if we drove up to Racine or something on a full tank of gas, which isn't far enough that it requires to stop at a gas station and refill. I already spent the money on the gas, and you guys are reimbursing me for it. Just because you didn't see me give the money to the cashier at the gas station doesn't mean I didn't already spend it. And when you reimburse me, I will probably use the money that you give me for more gas, or food or something.

Just because I'm not putting the money in a savings account for a new car (or a jar like Ook suggested lol) doesn't mean that any money you give me wouldn't help with a new car. $20 is $20. If you give me $20 for wear and tear and I spend it on gas/food, then that means that when I'm about to buy a new car, I'll have $20 extra that I would have spent on gas/food that can now go towards a new car.

It's not like giving me $20 for wear and tear will make me splurge and buy $20 of something I don't need. I'll still spend the exact same amount of money... it's just that I'm spending sooner rather than later.

I can understand if you want to see a bill or something, but that's just not possible until I buy a new car and show you my bill for the new car, at which point you wouldn't believe me. Think of the previouis Racine example: say someone we never met before asked for a ride to a Racine tournament, and we gave him a ride but he hated it and decided to never go to a tournament again. During that trip, we never had to fill up the gas tank... but I still used gas. Can this guy say "I'm not going to pay you because you can't show me a bill for the gas we spent"?

No, obviously not. I used my own gas to drive him to Racine so he should reimburse me. The amount he owes me should be agreed upon beforehand... that's why I'm telling you guys now that I'm charging for wear and tear. And that's why it's certainly not "hidden costs" like Zwarm is saying.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
The money I would charge for wear and tear is for the cost of the operation of my current car. It's not that hard guys.

It's like if we drove up to Racine or something on a full tank of gas, which isn't far enough that it requires to stop at a gas station and refill. I already spent the money on the gas, and you guys are reimbursing me for it. Just because you didn't see me give the money to the cashier at the gas station doesn't mean I didn't already spend it. And when you reimburse me, I will probably use the money that you give me for more gas, or food or something.

Just because I'm not putting the money in a savings account for a new car (or a jar like Ook suggested lol) doesn't mean that any money you give me wouldn't help with a new car. $20 is $20. If you give me $20 for wear and tear and I spend it on gas/food, then that means that when I'm about to buy a new car, I'll have $20 extra that I would have spent on gas/food that can now go towards a new car.

It's not like giving me $20 for wear and tear will make me splurge and buy $20 of something I don't need. I'll still spend the exact same amount of money... it's just that I'm spending sooner rather than later.

I can understand if you want to see a bill or something, but that's just not possible until I buy a new car and show you my bill for the new car, at which point you wouldn't believe me. Think of the previouis Racine example: say someone we never met before asked for a ride to a Racine tournament, and we gave him a ride but he hated it and decided to never go to a tournament again. During that trip, we never had to fill up the gas tank... but I still used gas. Can this guy say "I'm not going to pay you because you can't show me a bill for the gas we spent"?

No, obviously not. I used my own gas to drive him to Racine so he should reimburse me. The amount he owes me should be agreed upon beforehand... that's why I'm telling you guys now that I'm charging for wear and tear. And that's why it's certainly not "hidden costs" like Zwarm is saying.
umm you drive your mommy's car and you already said she only charges you like $30 per trip so I don't know wtf youre getting at

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
I just landed a job today and the first thing I'm buying is a new car, so I probably won't be taking mommy's car on any more road trips

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
lol dude I looked at your AIB post and your "source" for $0.23 per mile is from the back of some AAA pamphlet LMAO. it was written to sell you insurance. once you get your own car and realize you dont need to pay retail for a full checkup every month you will look back on the sheer naivete of your thousand word posts in utter shame.

thanks for the laugh dude

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
Did you even read the source? They said wear and tear is $.23 per mile, and the total cost of ownership is anywhere from $.50-.90 per mile. Last I checked, monthly checkups are part of cost of ownership, not wear and tear.

And even if $.23 per mile IS more than it actually costs, it's not like it even matters dude. I'm just throwing around hypothetical numbers anyways... I'm not writing a damn research paper or something lol. Wear and tear is still really expensive for a driver--especially on long road trips--and you don't need an insurance pamphlet to tell you that.

Zicore

Smash Champion
Did you even read the source? They said wear and tear is $.23 per mile, and the total cost of ownership is anywhere from $.50-.90 per mile. Last I checked, monthly checkups are part of cost of ownership, not wear and tear.

And even if $.23 per mile IS more than it actually costs, it's not like it even matters dude. I'm just throwing around hypothetical numbers anyways... I'm not writing a damn research paper or something lol. Wear and tear is still really expensive for a driver--especially on long road trips--and you don't need an insurance pamphlet to tell you that.
No...it really isn't. I got my car at 60k miles on it. Ended with over 180k. I had MAYBE $1000 worth of stuff I did to it in that time frame. I went from the middle of wisconsin to kansas, southern illinois multiple times, ohio multiple times, indiana multiple times, and minnasota multiple times, and I never had to do any kind of "ware and tare" work done on my car, save oil changes.

The only reason I keep bringing this up is because it's unfair to the people who you VOLUNTEERED to drive to these OoS tourneys to have to pay for your new car, if that is even what you were using their money for. You said it yourself, it paid for your food and more gas, etc. That really isn't fair. Its one thing to split the gas evenly, but anything extra should come out of the drivers pocket in terms of ware and tare. Because don't forget, you yourself are going. If I charged an extra $30-$40 a person who rode in my car each trip, I'd have been able to get a new car in a matter of 3 years. I don't think its fair that they would be paying for it. If you can't handle a little ware and tare, then don't drive. If it is too costly to go to the tournaments to the point where you are over-charging people in your car, then don't go. It's quite simple, really.

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
I don't actually want to charge 23 cents a mile for wear and tear, cuz yeah, that's kind of ridiculous. What I said earlier was that I want to charge everyone half of whatever they pay me in gas money. That's not that much.

As for your car, okay, you didn't have to do a lot of work on it, but you DID put a lot miles on it by traveling OoS. From the looks of it, I think it would be fair to say that you put about 10k miles on your car from smash tourneys?

So you put 120k total on it, and 1/12th (8.3%) of that was from smash tourneys. If you didn't drive to smash tourneys at all (meaning, someone else drove), it means you would have gotten 8.3% more use out of your car before you had to buy a new one. So if you spent $10,000 on your car (for argument's sake), that means you spent $830 of that driving to smash tournaments (not including gas). $830 is a lot.

I mean, all of these memories may be worth $830 to you, but to everyone else who drove with you and shared these memories, it didn't cost a dime.

Zicore

Smash Champion
I don't actually want to charge 23 cents a mile for wear and tear, cuz yeah, that's kind of ridiculous. What I said earlier was that I want to charge everyone half of whatever they pay me in gas money. That's not that much.

As for your car, okay, you didn't have to do a lot of work on it, but you DID put a lot miles on it by traveling OoS. From the looks of it, I think it would be fair to say that you put about 10k miles on your car from smash tourneys?

So you put 120k total on it, and 1/12th (8.3%) of that was from smash tourneys. If you didn't drive to smash tourneys at all (meaning, someone else drove), it means you would have gotten 8.3% more use out of your car before you had to buy a new one. So if you spent $10,000 on your car (for argument's sake), that means you spent $830 of that driving to smash tournaments (not including gas). $830 is a lot.

I mean, all of these memories may be worth $830 to you, but to everyone else who drove with you and shared these memories, it didn't cost a dime.
Oh I put way more then 10k on it for tourneys. And my car only cost about 3k blue book, but I happened to get a sweet deal on it. If I charged half of what I charged people for gas, I would have had a new car in no time. Like I said, do what you want. Just don't get pissed when others stop going because you're over-charging them. And it still cost those people money to go to the tourneys. It wasn't as if I was paying for the whole trip. I'm just fortunate that I had a decent working car, so thats why I offered to drive. If you don't feel comfortable in not charging people for "ware and tare", then don't offer your car up for rides. But you are essentially saying "Pay me for driving, or don't go." I just don't think that is right, considering this game is meant to bring people together, and that is a good way to drive people apart.

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
Well a better way to drive people apart is not having ANY drivers because they don't want to get shafted. A slightly more expensive road trip >>>>> no road trip at all.

The driver shouldn't charge his passengers any more than he has to, but he shouldn't get stuck paying hundreds more than everyone else either. Saying that the driver is "driving people apart" just because he wants to be reimbursed for money he's losing by volunteering to drive everyone is kind of messed up.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Let's be honest here though. The DLA's mom mobile didn't even die because of wear and tear, it died because you drove it into a puddle. So if we were paying you for wear and tear at the time, all the money would have gone to waste, or, directly into your pocket. Now when you buy a new car and all that jazz, go ahead and charge wear and tear, but I'll only ride with you for shorter trips then.

Hell, I only put 20k miles or so on my Honda, and it's crappy now without me even driving it out of state.

Kappy

Smash Ace
NNID
SwagTrain
3DS FC
2964-9085-1107
Those gifs are SO GOOD! LOOOOOOL.

EDIT: This is just because I LOL'd really hard, but I just read through Zicore's last post and saw him say, "But you are essentially saying 'Pay me for driving, or don't go.' I just don't think that is right."

Isn't that exactly what you're doing? If I can't pay for gas money, I don't go OoS. You pay the driver gas money so he drives you. You don't think that's right? :colorful:

Don't answer, it's a rhetorical question. I just wanted to point that out. LOL.

DOUBLE EDIT: I can't stop looking at those GIFS!!! ****ing Nigel Thornberry!

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
dude it doesn't matter if it's old... Nigel Thornberry is like the Beatles of redheaded documentary makers with enormous bushy mustaches.

**** never gets old

Top Bottom