• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Illinois / Wisconsin Brawl Power Rankings Thread! *NEW UPDATE (1-22-12)*

SpongeJordan

Smash Lord
I think you summed up the current north vs south debate perfectly, Oranos :p

My only issue with it is - You're expected to go to Chicago once per month, assuming WORST case scenario that there isn't a single tournament outside of Chi town in IL. If there is even ONE tournament outside of Chicago, then that's once per two months. Is that REALLY so unreasonable?

Also, who REALLY cares that much about PRs? That isn't KenniSPAM, of course.

Zozefup

Smash Lord
lol seriously sponge? It would cost me over $100 in gas alone to drive to Chicago, plus I would have to buy food and tournament entry. I cannot do that every month.

Chicago is not the middle of the state. I realize the Chicago scene is bigger, but what if the southern IL scene was bigger? Would it be right for me to require the rest of IL to come to the far southern tip of the state?

But yeah, I'm not complaining about the PR because we didn't put any touranments together. I can't expect to be on the PR if I didn't go to any touranments.

Also, I LOVEEEEEEE THE BIBLE PR pics. That is amazing! Why are people (ripple) complaining?

SpongeJordan

Smash Lord
You're an exception, not the rule. For most of southern IL, they're not on the very tip. The WORST I found was $100 for there and back with a 20 mpg car. Most people have much better mileage AND distance.

Once every two months really isn't that horrible.

Ambient_Horizon

Smash Ace
This argument reminds me of the one that I brought up in Michigan when I started entering official tournaments.

Ann Arbor is the smash capital of MI like Chicago is the smash capital of Illinios. I argued that it wasn't fair all the tournaments were in Ann Arbor just because most of the players were.

I then figured out I had these options since the scene wasn't going to change just because a few people were complaining:

1. Host tournaments in my area. (In this case it was Detroit which wasn't too far from Ann Arbor but I have no car...)

2. Carpool to save cash for everyone.

3. Take a bus or train or something.

Its kind of the same concept. If non-IL wants more chances to become PRed then host more tournaments. Find a place that's close by you that's in between Chi-town and you. If you guys can make it to Chicago tournaments I'm sure Chicago can carpool once a month for "non-local" tournaments. This would also help eliminate tension based on bias and whatever.

Someone just has to have the iniative to do it.

Or in my case I take the train. But I work two jobs. o_O

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Also, who REALLY cares that much about PRs? That isn't KenniSPAM, of course.
kel (the MK that went to japan) refuses to team with me since I'm not on the PR. had I been on it, he would have teamed with me

Dark Kakashi

Smash Ace
So... I guess I should hold on the picture until the arguing settles down, unless I want to put more hay into the fire... >_>

Arty

Smash Lord
Ripple you went to only one tournament. That's why you're inactive. What do you want us to do? Put you 3rd for beating Legan so Kel could team with you?

No one is expecting you guys to go to Chicago tournaments. Just go to any tournaments, beat some notable people and place well. Chewyy didn't go to a single Chicago tournament last PR and he was 3rd above Quik who was doing very well at Chicago tourneys. 2 PRs ago we had 4 southern people ranked and only BC and Deez went to one Chicago tourney.

Oranos none of those "valid" points are valid. Chicago has more representation on this panel bc we're actually active. No point of having 4 Southern guys talking about how they didn't go to tournaments. And when you guys do go to tournaments, we rank you appropriately.

Again go to tourneys and place well. 2 tournaments in 3 and a half months was the minimum. How is that unreasonable?

Also what Ambient said. Host More tournaments. Place well in those tournaments, and you'll be ranked.

_Kain_

Smash Champion
Southern IL never comes to Chicago tournies cept when Deez and BC used to come. If I remember right Chicago did go to a MO tourny in Feb (Hot Dickings) so why cant u guys at least come to one in Chicago?

Dark Kakashi

Smash Ace
People, just show up to tournaments and you'll make your way into the Power Rankings, that is all.

You have MLG Columbus coming up where many Midwest Players are going to. You can prove yourself there for the next update of the Power Rankings. Also, like people said, just host some tournaments place well in them and you will get mentioned in the next PR.

The next PR Update won't happen for a couple more months, so in a couple months, just go to 2-3 tourneys do well in them and you can make a case for yourself.

People sometimes fall out of a PR, that is expected, just do better next time and make sure you are on it then. ^_^

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Ripple you went to only one tournament. That's why you're inactive. What do you want us to do? Put you 3rd for beating Legan so Kel could team with you?

yes please :bee:

Southern IL never comes to Chicago tournies cept when Deez and BC used to come. If I remember right Chicago did go to a MO tourny in Feb (Hot Dickings) so why cant u guys at least come to one in Chicago?
because I (as the main driver of oranos, surjan, and chewyy) am not allowed to drive up there.

Devildigimon

Smash Lord
Funny how most IL tournament's aren't even in Chicago, they're in Winthrop Harbor and that's smack dab in the middle of ALL IL AND WI PLAYERS!!!

And I've literally had MN players come to 2 (or more) of my Winthrop Harbor tournaments this year.

I think the Southern IL drive discussion is OFFICIALLY DONE!!!

GGs.

Oro?!

Smash Hero
How are you not "allowed" to drive up north? Are you in high school or something? It literally costs everyone 10$ in a carpool for a round trip to drive down there. 3 Hours of driving is not even that bad. Housing is provided for DB3 as it says in the thread to ask Kirk/Blind. I'm sure any MAS event you could find housing as well.

ook

Smash Lord
Well as webster said, the tournaments are not even near the city of chicago.
Winthrop Harbor is a nice little town with a marina where people keep their yachts.
And the Northbrook venue is an arcade that holds kids birthday parties.

There's way more crime in Springfield or St Louis than winthrop harbor and northbrook put together.

I dunno, just.. try to convince them

Zozefup

Smash Lord
Yeah, I don't understand springfield not going driving 3 hours to Chicago tournaments. Rob and I just did 5 hours of driving yesterday to go to a st. louis smashfest. Money is the only issue for me. If I could split the gas with then I would drive just about anywhere.

I've probably spent near $1000 driving the smash touranments in the past year. That is why I got annoyed a while back when everyone told me I need to go to a Chicago tournament. I travel farther and spend way more money traveling to tournaments than anyone else in IL.

Moozle

Smash Champion
I went to a tournament when i was in france, and have therefore traveled the most for a tourney. I WIN.

Oro?!

Smash Hero
^^^^^
This, I need to see if I am winning yet.

Also Zoze, you wouldn't lose any money if you won even if you drove by yourself. Just win. It's easy. Or you could always just drive with people...

SpongeJordan

Smash Lord
seriously ripple going to st. louis but "not being allowed" to go to chicago is really ******** lol
This. I stopped there on the way to Quakecon last year. Dirtiest city I've ever been in, and I go through Milwaukee quite often. Oh, and their Jack in the Box SUCKS.

Chicago is awesome, even the dirty parts (lol dirty parts) aren't that bad.

Akashi

Smash Lord
Yeah, I don't understand springfield not going driving 3 hours to Chicago tournaments. Rob and I just did 5 hours of driving yesterday to go to a st. louis smashfest. Money is the only issue for me. If I could split the gas with then I would drive just about anywhere.

I've probably spent near $1000 driving the smash touranments in the past year. That is why I got annoyed a while back when everyone told me I need to go to a Chicago tournament. I travel farther and spend way more money traveling to tournaments than anyone else in IL.
Zoze, if you're serious about attending a Chicago tourney, then maybe we could semi-fund your way there. Add an additional $2~3 to venue or something, and give that to you. I wouldn't mind shelling out a little extra cash for your gas money.

I'm not saying we'd do that EVERYTIME, but imo you deserve to attend a tournament in your own state :<.

gameandwatch 4 Lyfe

Smash Journeyman
Zoze, if you're serious about attending a Chicago tourney, then maybe we could semi-fund your way there. Add an additional $2~3 to venue or something, and give that to you. I wouldn't mind shelling out a little extra cash for your gas money.

I'm not saying we'd do that EVERYTIME, but imo you deserve to attend a tournament in your own state :<.
nice thought, but i dont think its really fair to make other people pay to allow one or several people to attend a tournament. i for one already hate shelling out ~$25-$30 per tournament (assuming i dont win any money).

arty, or whoever else is on the northwest side, i want to play with you guys. im in the area, i can come over to your place or something. i'll need practice before i even think about attending tournaments again. i havent played seriously since that tournament at that chinese restaurant 6 months ago (what a ****show. although i did beat xyless with falcon :p)

_OraNoS_

Smash Ace
My only issue with it is - You're expected to go to Chicago once per month, assuming WORST case scenario that there isn't a single tournament outside of Chi town in IL. If there is even ONE tournament outside of Chicago, then that's once per two months. Is that REALLY so unreasonable?
See that's what keeps bothering me, according to this very thread's first post (at the bottom) we can't afford to attend every other month.
kel (the MK that went to japan) refuses to team with me since I'm not on the PR. had I been on it, he would have teamed with me
Unfortunate to hear, but dunno why he'd base it on that instead of how well you've done when he was present or how well you played against him in the past.
Oranos none of those "valid" points are valid. Chicago has more representation on this panel bc we're actually active. No point of having 4 Southern guys talking about how they didn't go to tournaments. And when you guys do go to tournaments, we rank you appropriately.
Don't see why they aren't valid complaints :\
Again go to tourneys and place well. 2 tournaments in 3 and a half months was the minimum. How is that unreasonable?
Again, if you actually check the first post, "more than 2" (aka 3 or more) tournaments are evidently required to pull away from "inactive" status. People keep responding to this part, even though I've explained it every time... THIS THREAD CLEARLY SAYS THAT ONLY TWO IS NOT ENOUGH, despite what any panelist may be under the impression of, currently.
I've been under the impression that Deez and BC are actually from Northern IL, they just attend school at UIUC.
You have MLG Columbus coming up where many Midwest Players are going to. You can prove yourself there for the next update of the Power Rankings. Also, like people said, just host some tournaments place well in them and you will get mentioned in the next PR.
I can't even enter at MLG Columbus :'( I clipped out some parts of your post D.K., but <3's you are awesome.
because I (as the main driver of oranos, surjan, and chewyy) am not allowed to drive up there.
^that's pretty weak, I can always drive... tell me if you're interested in going to a Chicago tournament sometime lol
There's way more crime in Springfield or St Louis than winthrop harbor and northbrook put together.
yeah, we're pretty much gangstas
lol, not really

Also, how would we know when we've never been ;)

Akashi

Smash Lord
nice thought, but i dont think its really fair to make other people pay to allow one or several people to attend a tournament. i for one already hate shelling out ~$25-$30 per tournament (assuming i dont win any money).

arty, or whoever else is on the northwest side, i want to play with you guys. im in the area, i can come over to your place or something. i'll need practice before i even think about attending tournaments again. i havent played seriously since that tournament at that chinese restaurant 6 months ago (what a ****show. although i did beat xyless with falcon :p)
You're in Chicago this week? I'll be in Chicago for Thurs/Fri/Sat/Sun at Mel & my place. I'll be gone most of the day though, but Thurs I'm free. If you're serious on coming over, please do so. I live right by the L, so it'll be easy to get to my place. I still have your #.

Also, it's not unfair at all. If others are willing, and they want to play Zoze, then they'll shell out some extra cash to play him. If they're not willing, then they won't. What's the problem in at least asking to see who will? Once again, I said i'm willing (heck I'll even put $20 down so Zoze will stfu and see everyone :p also I don't mind Zoze and I'd like to talk to him irl).

_Kain_

Smash Champion

Where the hell is BC?!?!!?

SpongeJordan

Smash Lord
You're in Chicago this week? I'll be in Chicago for Thurs/Fri/Sat/Sun at Mel & my place. I'll be gone most of the day though, but Thurs I'm free. If you're serious on coming over, please do so. I live right by the L, so it'll be easy to get to my place. I still have your #.

Also, it's not unfair at all. If others are willing, and they want to play Zoze, then they'll shell out some extra cash to play him. If they're not willing, then they won't. What's the problem in at least asking to see who will? Once again, I said i'm willing (heck I'll even put $20 down so Zoze will stfu and see everyone :p also I don't mind Zoze and I'd like to talk to him irl).
I'd donate $5 to the "Get Zoze to Chicago" fund. He'd have to MM me for it though :p Not that I'd have a chance... QQ.

Oranos, king of the multiquote.

I guess you're right, though. I always read it as "At least 2" for some reason.

hunger!

Smash Champion
Ill give zoze 10 dollars is he shows up to a "chicago" event. Quoted chicago since its not really chicago.

no strings attached, show up, get 10 bucks. Simple as that.

I mean....once he gets to one of these tournies and gets 17th, he's gunna be crying anyway. It'll be my gesture of kindness towards the poor sap.

Quik17

Smash Ace
@Oranos - That thing on the first post was from when the PRs were first made. We changed it to 2 tournies a season to accommodate the non-Chicago people like 6 months ago.
Just never got around to editing the thread.

@Bo and Oro - you just click the reply number next to the thread name and it will list every person that ever posted in the thread with their amount of posts.

lol I'd donate a couple bucks to the "Get Zoze to Chicago" fund

Top Bottom