• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Illinois / Wisconsin Brawl Power Rankings Thread! *NEW UPDATE (1-22-12)*

Akashi

Smash Lord
I think you're being a bit extreme, Zoze. You're right in that, if you're not a Christian, then you become the "ruler of your own destiny". I think a lot of people want that, including those who follow Christianity (I personally believe in God and I personally want to choose when I die, live my life, etc). But I disagree in this:

Zoze said:
If you don't believe in God, then you become God over your life. You can do whatever you want with your life and nothing matters. If I believe that humans are destructive and the world would be a better place without them, then even murder becomes moral for me.
Just because you believe in a different way, doesn't mean nothing no longer matters. You can create world peace, become an activist for something positive, or create a new genocide... nothing of what I mention has to do about religion. Yes, if you follow religion theoretically you would be a better person, but there's plenty of things that religion do in this world that create worse scenarios than better.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Yes, if you follow religion theoretically you would be a better person, but there's plenty of things that religion do in this world that create worse scenarios than better.
That's only dumb*** religions that avoid Love and peace.

Christianity all the Way.

Ambient_Horizon

Smash Ace
The problem is that if you don't believe in God, then there is no 0morality. Without God, if drugs make you happy, then why not do them? Who cares if it makes you a little more unproductive than usual? Being productive isn't very fun anyway.

I'm pretty sure that if I didn't believe in God, then I would just sit in my room, smoke weed, play video games and masterbate all day.

If you don't believe in God, then you become God over your life. You can do whatever you want with your life and nothing matters. If I believe that humans are destructive and the world would be a better place without them, then even murder becomes moral for me.
Morality and what's right anf wrong is a socially determined concept and is taught by man. Human beings brought up in a somewhat normal society know what right and wrong is because of their parents/school/church/mentor etc. There are plenty of plenty in this world that don't believe in God or your God and still know what right and wrong is.

Also you couldve been born halfway across the world suicide bombing in the name of Allah. Would that neccesarily be right? It depends on who you ask.

Morality and religion are not one in the same.

In fact let's focus on religion as a whole. Its Western religions that are so engrossed on telling people that they should be worshipping a god and beating their own form of morality into people. Eastern religions don't even touch that stuff. They teach you "enlightenment" and universal balance from within.
They teach completely different concepts that conflict with each other.

Both are religions. Who's right? Lol your view is really extreme and carved in stone.

Oh dammit I didn't feel like getting into a religious debate. Lol

Akaski: Only if there aren't 12 other Snakes in your state like mine :p

Zozefup

Smash Lord
That's only dumb*** religions that avoid Love and peace.

Christianity all the Way.
Oh man. *waits for DLA to bring up the Roman Catholic Church*. Lots of bad things have been done under the name of Christiantiy. KKK anyone? But in no way do their actions reflect what is taught in the Bible.

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
Um what exactly does DLA-bot do rofl
its prime directive is to raep all religious debates with the giant **** of reason.

DLA-bot is on standby now though cause Imma playin some basketball (practicing up with my $MM with Kain lololol)

Zozefup

Smash Lord
Oh dammit I didn't feel like getting into a religious debate. Lol
I don't really like this debate either. Discussing morality will not change anyone's opinion about religion.

I think you missed the point of my post. I wanted you to explain why Lain should not smoke pot. Lain already knows the risk involved, you're not telling him anything new.

Since you say that morality is a "socially determined concept that varies between cultures", then morality merely an opinion. If Lains goal is to live a more enjoyable life, and he feels that pot helps him accomplish that, who are you to tell him to stop? All people are doing is trying making him feel guilty for something that is in fact, not wrong.

If there is no God, what reason do you have for me to not just sit in my room, smoke weed, and play video games all day? Is it wrong if I chose to do that with my life?

My reason not to live an unproductive life is that, praise God, Jesus did rise from the dead :)

Morality and what's right anf wrong is a socially determined concept and is taught by man. Human beings brought up in a somewhat normal society know what right and wrong is because of their parents/school/church/mentor etc. There are plenty of plenty in this world that don't believe in God or your God and still know what right and wrong is.
I don't even know what to say about the rest of what you wrote. You say that people "know" what morality is, then you say that morality is different from person to person. That is the point I was making was without God, I control my own morality. Generally people accept the morality of their parents/school/church/mentor, but it is in no way wrong to reject their view of morality.

But yeah, I'd much rather debate the existence of God and Jesus being the Son of God. This debate is boring and is not meaningful.

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
If there is no God, what reason do you have for me to not just sit in my room, smoke weed, and play video games all day? Is it wrong if I chose to do that with my life?

My reason not to live an unproductive life is that, praise God, Jesus did rise from the dead :)
The reason you don't waste your time in your room is so that you gain a sense of self-fulfillment from your life. Which you accomplish by going out on the street and preaching to people about jesus :p

It has nothing to do with what your god wants you to do; by following "God's will," you're fulfilling your own desires, not his (unless he DOES exist, in which case you're still most likely doing it out of self-fulfillment).

I don't even know what to say about the rest of what you wrote. You say that people "know" what morality is, then you say that morality is different from person to person. That is the point I was making was without God, I control my own morality. Generally people accept the morality of their parents/school/church/mentor, but it is in no way wrong to reject their view of morality.

But yeah, I'd much rather debate the existence of God and Jesus being the Son of God. This debate is boring and is not meaningful.
This debate is a lot more meaningful than whether or not your imaginary friend exists IMO.

Morality is not absolute; if it was, then we wouldn't even be having this debate since we'd all know what is right and wrong. The problem with your argument is that people don't control their own morality; they only control their own actions. For the most part, people's basic sense of right and wrong (murdering people is wrong) is instilled in their genetic code. The rest of it (like "the death penalty is wrong" - it is, BTW) mostly comes from environmental factors. Different environments breed different moral outlooks.

I'm actually not sure what your point is, because you didn't really make any points lol. That's my view though.

_Kain_

Smash Champion
The reason you don't waste your time in your room is so that you gain a sense of self-fulfillment from your life. Which you accomplish by going out on the street and preaching to people about jesus :p

It has nothing to do with what your god wants you to do; by following "God's will," you're fulfilling your own desires, not his (unless he DOES exist, in which case you're still most likely doing it out of self-fulfillment).

This debate is a lot more meaningful than whether or not your imaginary friend exists IMO.

Morality is not absolute; if it was, then we wouldn't even be having this debate since we'd all know what is right and wrong. The problem with your argument is that people don't control their own morality; they only control their own actions. For the most part, people's basic sense of right and wrong (murdering people is wrong) is instilled in their genetic code. The rest of it (like "the death penalty is wrong" - it is, BTW) mostly comes from environmental factors. Different environments breed different moral outlooks.

I'm actually not sure what your point is, because you didn't really make any points lol. That's my view though.
wut a beast lol

Zozefup

Smash Lord
Yep. The goal is for my will to line up with the will of God, then I enjoy doing God's will. Being a Christian is supposed to be a very fun, happy, productive, joyful lifestyle. Not a lifestyle full of doing chores that you do not bring fulfillment.

You keep refering to Jesus as if their is no more evidence for him then there is "the flying spaghetti monster." lol. But we could not ask for any more evidence to support that fact that Jesus is the Son of God. The only other evidence we are missing is maybe Jesus on video tape.

If God does not exist, someone needs to tell me so that I can stop living a delusional life. And if God does exist, someone needs to tell you so that you can do what is right and live how you were meant to live. The topic is life changing, world changing, even.

The problem with your argument is that people don't control their own morality; they only control their own actions. For the most part, people's basic sense of right and wrong (murdering people is wrong) is instilled in their genetic code. The rest of it (like "the death penalty is wrong" - it is, BTW) mostly comes from environmental factors. Different environments breed different moral outlooks.
"The laws of God are written on our hearts" (Deuteronomy 30:14)
You say the morality is instilled in our genetic code. Do you see a problem with that? If God wrote the commandments on our hearts, then it is absolute. But if the randomness of genetic evolution made them, then they are no more valid than random morals drawn out of a hat.

You say that the death penalty is wrong. Based on what? Based on the feeling that the random genetic code is giving you?

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Is an action good because god tells us it should be done? if you answered yes, you are wrong.

sorry had a random thought.

/end random thought

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
lol, I love the IL PR thread

Also, someone please explain this video to me: *points to DLA* :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il9pyUO4iAU

I prefer this version, but it's about 30 min long

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYZWFgZN-FQ
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il9pyUO4iAU
Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKUo-_CnXtQ
Part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJR5YHLVgbI
TL;DW lol.

I've seen this video posted in a few different places but I close it out every time I watch the first 30 secs or so.

Anyone can make a claim that they were healed by a divine power, and if the only evidence that is presented to me is a youtube video, then they can make any claim they want and make it sound at least somewhat believable.

And if the video says what people want to hear, then they'll probably believe it.

Unfortunately, "miracles of healing" are about the only things faintly resembling evidence that desperate Christians can present when asked to prove the existence of God. So obviously these people are going to post these videos in an attempt to create the "HA, gotcha *****!" effect.

But we could not ask for any more evidence to support that fact that Jesus is the Son of God.
Can I have more evidence to support the fact that Jesus is the Son of God?

Hmm wasn't that hard.

The only other evidence we are missing is maybe Jesus on video tape.
They did capture jesus on video tape though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDENmSJIlMI#t=3m26s[/SIZE][/B]

I'm so glad I found this video lol

Ambient_Horizon

Smash Ace
I don't really like this debate either. Discussing morality will not change anyone's opinion about religion.

I think you missed the point of my post. I wanted you to explain why Lain should not smoke pot. Lain already knows the risk involved, you're not telling him anything new.

Since you say that morality is a "socially determined concept that varies between cultures", then morality merely an opinion. If Lains goal is to live a more enjoyable life, and he feels that pot helps him accomplish that, who are you to tell him to stop? All people are doing is trying making him feel guilty for something that is in fact, not wrong.

No, I hear you loud and clear actually. It is you who has missed the point of my post.

The watered down version is:

Everything is subjective. Your religion is right in your eyes. Someone elses religion "disproves yours" somewhere else. Somewhere in Tibet there's a group of dedicated monks achieving enlightenment. Someone else is practicing Hari Krisnah. Someone is probably worshipping a card board cutout of David Hasselhoff and calling that a religion. Who cares? We all walk different paths in life. And that is the beauty of humanity. Respect peoples' beliefs, non beliefs, etc. Telling a person they don't have morality because they don't have God is classic bible thumper pious-maniac talk 101. No offense to you or anything.

And I have no interest in discussing God with you because I know where it would the discussion would eventually lead. And I came on the Illinois PR Chat to get to know you guys and goof off since this Michigander will be an Illinois resident soon.

You guys are cool though looking forward to the move.

Ambient_Horizon

Smash Ace
Gonna be in Chi-town most likely unless something else presents itself. This'll be very new for me. Never lived outside of the Detroit area. Born and raised in the D also. Sick of it so I want to start over in a new area. Illinois is not Michigan but not far from my friends and loved ones.

Quik17

Smash Ace
Gonna be in Chi-town most likely unless something else presents itself.
You picked a good time! Chicago has like 3 tournaments goin each month. Everyone's really cool offline too.

Although it might be really different for you. Here in Illinois, we only have about 2 snakes at our tournaments not 34 like you're used to in MI :)

Ambient_Horizon

Smash Ace
Oh sweet! And only 2 Snakes? Lol at I'm sure my D3 will find uses somewhere else *looks and sees you have two PRed DKs * ;)

Seriously though I crave some diversity and a scene change so thisll be sweet. I think I'm going take a bus or train over to Chi-town for one of these upcoming tournaments to meet-N-greet/see how your Smash scene is. Looking forward to meeting you all offline.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Oh sweet! And only 2 Snakes? Lol at I'm sure my D3 will find uses somewhere else *looks and sees you have two PRed DKs * ;)
not for much longer...

not playing DK anymore in teams. AT ALL. fox only

playing more fox and wario in singles now. maybe some lucario

Zozefup

Smash Lord
Everything is subjective. Your religion is right in your eyes.
I think we agree with each other. If there is no God, then everything is subjective. There is no "absolute" morality. If Christianity is true, then absolute truth is the Bible, and everything else is wrong. If another religion is correct, then my view of truth is wrong, and their absolute truth is right. But just because you don't believe in absolute truth doesn't mean there is no absolute truth.

But since you do not believe in right and wrong, then you cannot tell people what is right or wrong.

Why is this even a debate? lol. I don't get it.

I've seen this video posted in a few different places but I close it out every time I watch the first 30 secs or so.

Anyone can make a claim that they were healed by a divine power, and if the only evidence that is presented to me is a youtube video, then they can make any claim they want and make it sound at least somewhat believable.
You can't dismiss it that easy by saying "there is no proof!" Look it up, she has the proof of all the surgery's and all the medical problems. Doctors have been studying her story for the last 30 years. We know that she had the medical problems and that there is no cure, and we know that she is now cured.

Can I have more evidence to support the fact that Jesus is the Son of God?
We know that Jesus was a real person. That he had 12 disciples. That his disciples really believed he was the son of God. That 1000s in his own life time believed he was God. That 1000s who saw him in person believed was the son of God. That his brother James believed he was God. That 1000s believed he could heal people. That 1000s who saw him in person were so sure that he was God that they would willingly get stoned for it. We have documents of many who claimed they were healed by Jesus. We know that Jesus was crucified because so many people believed he was God. After Jesus died, we know that the Romans wanted to prove that he wasn't raised from the dead. They wanted to show the dead corpse of Jesus to the public 3 days after he died so everyone would know that he was not raised from the dead. We know that after 3 days, they had no body to show.

How did one man convince so many people that he was God? How can you believe that a man heals everyone he touches, if he in fact did not heal anyone? Even if you're not a Christian, the story of Jesus is nuts. How did he do it?

And believing that everything was created through random chance evolution, without God, isn't very logical. If you make that claim then you a way outside the realm of science and logic, and you have started your own religion.

_OraNoS_

Smash Ace
not for much longer...

not playing DK anymore in teams. AT ALL. fox only

playing more fox and wario in singles now. maybe some lucario
Oh, so now you try Lucario? :\

Will Don't Blink 3 happen before the next PR update? I wanna attend and do ok and be an honorable mention by defeating all of our random character mains :D

Top Bottom