• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Illinois / Wisconsin Brawl Power Rankings Thread! *NEW UPDATE (1-22-12)*

Quik17

Smash Ace
you spelled my name wrong so it's a no.

DLA will remain in the Lipka household servicing Arty when needed.

Scythe

Smash Master
we prolly will have a decent group going to it

not sure if people wanna confirm yet though

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
Our cars tend to completely fill up for this sort of thing. Plus it seemed like a lot of us have strong opinions about the SiiS series after how the last tournament was ran...

So if we are going, then there's no way to tell if we have any seats available, since we usually don't start planning until a month in advance, at most lol. If there are open seats in our cars, then they're all yours.

D

Deleted member

Our cars tend to completely fill up for this sort of thing. Plus it seemed like a lot of us have strong opinions about the SiiS series after how the last tournament was ran...

So if we are going, then there's no way to tell if we have any seats available, since we usually don't start planning until a month in advance, at most lol. If there are open seats in our cars, then they're all yours.
It's true that it was run poorly, but that's part of the reason they decided to go the smart route and make it a two day event. Hopefully things will be running much smoother this time around.

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
I think most of us agreed that making it a 2 day event is completely unnecessary.

They just needed people there making sure that **** got done. There were like 4-5 hours of downtime where everyone was just ****ing around. (Actually I wouldn't know because I was asleep half of the tournament lol)

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Even if I get back into Brawl for some reason and actually had money, I'd probably still skip SiiS5. 4 was the worst tournament I've ever been to. I still had fun, I mean, we had 4-5 hours to just hang out, but the way it was ran, the fact that the venue changed like, 3 days before the tournament, among other things just made the tournament bad. If I hear that 5 is better, I might consider going to 6.

Scythe

Smash Master
I'd just like to point out our opinion of the tourney was affected greatly by not having ANY sleep. Also Tom they are having melee as well so maybe that's a good excuse for 2 days.

I'm always up for a road trip.

Quik17

Smash Ace
4 was the worst tournament I've ever been to.
Same here. It was also my first and only tourney outside of WI/IL.

I was so hyped beforehand....:(

Edit: Agree with Diego on the no sleep part + coupled with how it was ran made it terrible for me

Zwarm

Smash Hero
I had a full night sleep the night before, and I still didn't enjoy the tournament. Sleep would have only made it worse, so I can tell how you guys feel.

Quik, you picked the worst tournament for your first OoS. :(

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
I was pretty bored lol. I just went back to the hotel room after cruising around Cinci bars and just chilled. I always end up leaving the tournament out of sheer boredom after a while lol. Though I had wayyyyy more fun at 3 than 4.

Oro?!

Smash Hero
I will not support Day. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. SiiS3 had a lot of problems. Seeding was terrible. Time management was terrible. Cincy hospitality is non existant (no offense I know not everyone can house). On top of all of that, things that were promised in the OP, food/drink for free were not there with the exception of Hylian/Rauleen being incredible and making awesome baked goods. The venue fee for the event was going straight to the TOs as far as I could tell, which imo you should not be rewarding yourselves for a failed event, especially considering I am pretty sure the venue was free or cost very little. I am not treating my travel problems such as my flat tire with these complaints. I was generally mad about how the event was ran, and that just put the negative experience over the top.

REGARDLESS, I was still willing to give Day and Co. another shot for SiiS4. I was unable to go, but after hearing the same problems being repeated, PLUS MORE, I can't help but be glad I didn't go.

The changes to SiiS5. They found a REAL VENUE. Good, except now it seems Day is charging for venue usage and money to pocket, that or the venue is extremely pricey and I would never agree to it as a TO. It's a 2 day event. Not good. The problem was never the workload, just the time management. Adding Melee as an event. Not good imo. You are trying to add double the workload, when you couldn't handle half of it.

tl;dr- I will not be driving to a Ohio Day ran event until I see that an acceptable event is ran.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
I enjoyed 3 a lot. It was more fun, and the tournament was run pretty well, compared to 4 at least. At 4, I just slept after the rest of IL left because I was so bored, but the tournament was pretty fun before that, it just wasn't run well.

Oro?!

Smash Hero
You really don't agree with the seeding, time, housing (when I was literally 2nd on the list in asking Day and others got housing instead and no one else stepped up or gave housing to others), the food promises?

I mean look at how easy and hard some of those pools were. It was not really a national for 3, it was just an event with a lot of people. There were not nearly as many high quality competitors, yet there were still extremely unbalanced pools.

Iirc Bracket started at like 11PM for SiiS3, because we drove home right when it started since we had no players that made bracket.

Seeding btw took them hours if I remember correctly for 3...

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Yeah I guess that's true. I had a good time at the tournament though, so maybe I just overlooked those things, or forgot, lol. Now that you mention it though, it was pretty poorly run. :/

D

Deleted member

Sorry you guys had such a horrible experience. :<

I know he tournament was run horribly, and a lot of people were tired and bored, but at the same time, I still had a lot of fun just hanging out with everyone there.

The new venue looks like it's gonna be a blast, though. I'll probably be playing more DDR than Brawl. :awesome:

Arty

Smash Lord
I'm not sure why it's a 2 day event. Multiple day events should only be for Genesis type nationals IMO

Idk if I'll go. The no sleep/bad seeding/bracket issues/time spent doing nothing/playing Kain first round really made it a terrible experience for me last time. :(

Oro?!

Smash Hero
Put 100 people with similar interests in a series of rooms to play video games and of course people are going to have a good time. That wasn't the problem. Advertising those events to be a big hangout and handing money over for no reason wouldn't attract anyone. Promising people things did attract people, and expectations were not been met.

D

Deleted member

We're definitely playing some if I go!!
You play? DDR was my competitive scene before it sort of died away, then I started playing competitive Brawl.

I still love playing DDR for fun, though. Such great songs...if you play on my Wii, I have Max Forever on Final Destination, which is a mash-up of "Maxx Unlimited" and several famous DDR tunes.

_Kain_

Smash Champion
All I know is...

If we do MvC3, I'm ****ing Taskmaster
If we do wrestling, I'm ****ing The Rock
If we do vegetables, I'm ****ing Corn!
If we do funny pics...idk

And SiiS4 was dumb to me just cause of sleep and mostly cause of what they did to Arty. Was super dumb

Top Bottom