• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Geno Thread

LemonKing

Smash Journeyman
Oh well.

Considering Geno I was wondering how is grab would work. I thought it would be kind of neat if it worked like a grapple and both of his hands shot out with wires attached to them. If they grab on to the enemy they reel in, but if they miss then it takes 80 or so frames to reel them in.

That would be awesome because I always loved to use characters that had tethers. Made it easier for me to navigate around edgeguarding.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
Geno is the olny good caredrd for brawl, all the others sucks!
Not true there are other potential canadites.

However the only flaw I could see is Olimar since he uses his Pikmin to fight like how the Pokemon trainer uses his pokemon to fight.

error_alt_delete

Smash Champion
Not true there are other potential canadites.

However the only flaw I could see is Olimar since he uses his Pikmin to fight like how the Pokemon trainer uses his pokemon to fight.
Olimar is a strange case, but I dont think he would use the pikman the same way as PT uses the pokemon, we will just have to think a little longer. Back on subject...

geno for being second party!

AmericanGTS

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, I've been wondering... (first, I'd like to start off a little bit off topic, hold on) If Rare was in charge of developing most Donkey Kong content for Nintendo and Microsoft buys Rare but yet Nintendo is STILL able to use Rare created Donkey Kong content AS LONG AS THEY CREDIT Rare, can't the same instance be applied to Geno and Mallow? Well sure, Nintendo already owned Donkey Kong, but they also already owned Mario when it comes to Mario RPG. Its really confusing to me considering the fact that characters such as Dixie Kong and King K. Rool were created by Rare, but Nintendo can use them freely. Did they buy the complete rights from Rare and thats what makes Geno different? Then again, Rare just developed Diddy Kong Racing DS.. x_x

I hope that makes sense.. the more I think about it, the more I wonder if Nintendo just goes to Square Enix and says "Hey, we're using Geno for Brawl, we'll credit you in the credits roll all right?"

Enigma14

Smash Champion
Olimar is a strange case, but I dont think he would use the pikman the same way as PT uses the pokemon, we will just have to think a little longer. Back on subject...

geno for being second party!
Geno IS Second party. Sure he has third-party claim but can Square use him? No only if Nintendo is involved same with anyone else from SMRPG who hasn't appeared for 11 years.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Actually, Mother 3 didn't even sell half the copies that Mother2/ Earthbound sold but that's besides the point. :psycho:

Anyways, I guess we haven't talked about how Geno would be unlocked yet. I'd say you have to beat classic mode with Mario, Bowser, and Peach on very hard or intense.
I like the idea of actually having to work to get him.
Do you have any clue how high mother 3 sold in japan ? And i should also mention that Mother 3 has high regard there , Nuff said.

Ok to keep the discussion alive hmm...Probably it will be something really stupid knowing sakurai like "DO AN EASY EVENT MATCH MEGA LULZ" Like Mario VS Geno or Mario and Geno team up on you <__<.(I Mean with legal cases since they are even going to have to pay a bit for him , Even through he requires less of a legal case it's still like putting sonic as a hard unlockable...)

ValiantVernon

Smash Journeyman
man looking at this thread always makes me happy and hopeful for Geno lol
But yea man i dont think that Geno is the only good canidate but in my biased opinion is the most awesome and undertstandable canidate, also the fact he wouldnt be to hard to get!

Enigma14

Smash Champion
Hey guys, I've been wondering... (first, I'd like to start off a little bit off topic, hold on) If Rare was in charge of developing most Donkey Kong content for Nintendo and Microsoft buys Rare but yet Nintendo is STILL able to use Rare created Donkey Kong content AS LONG AS THEY CREDIT Rare, can't the same instance be applied to Geno and Mallow? Well sure, Nintendo already owned Donkey Kong, but they also already owned Mario when it comes to Mario RPG. Its really confusing to me considering the fact that characters such as Dixie Kong and King K. Rool were created by Rare, but Nintendo can use them freely. Did they buy the complete rights from Rare and thats what makes Geno different? Then again, Rare just developed Diddy Kong Racing DS.. x_x

I hope that makes sense.. the more I think about it, the more I wonder if Nintendo just goes to Square Enix and says "Hey, we're using Geno for Brawl, we'll credit you in the credits roll all right?"
Yes they can do that. However S/E are allowed to say No. But its weird since they have no use for him and they can't use him either but they make profit if they say yes.

Do you have any clue how bad earthbound sold in japan ? And i should also mention that Mother 3 has high regard there , Nuff said.

Ok to keep the discussion alive hmm...Probably it will be something really stupid knowing sakurai like "DO AN EASY EVENT MATCH MEGA LULZ" Like Mario VS Geno or Mario and Geno team up on you <__<.
Personally I hope he's hard to get. Also it sounds like you contridicted yourself with the MOTHER statement.

man looking at this thread always makes me happy and hopeful for Geno lol
But yea man i dont think that Geno is the only good canidate but in my biased opinion is the most awesome and undertstandable canidate, also the fact he wouldnt be to hard to get!
Anyone first party and created under Miyamoto wouldn't be hard to get either. I.E. Ridley.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Yes they can do that. However S/E are allowed to say No. But its weird since they have no use for him and they can't use him either but they make profit if they say yes.

Personally I hope he's hard to get. Also it sounds like you contridicted yourself with the MOTHER statement.

Anyone first party and created under Miyamoto wouldn't be hard to get either. I.E. Ridley.
Said it the wrong way ;) , I Meant "Do you have any clue how high Mother 3 sold in japan ?" :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:.
Anyhow as to being hard to unlock ... That would probably only go to the Final PC And it would just be stupid for nintendo to pay "Some" Money and make him really hard to unlock , See it would be like putting Sonic as the final unlockable (Which would be quite stupid , But sonic costs more money .) I'd like Geno to be unlocked the hard way but guessing by his modesty <__< Besides we will AT LEAST Have him so does it really matter ? This is like the people who complain about the Wii commercials (Excecpt we are not complaining on it and discussing it.)

Ridley Spy

Smash Rookie
You guys should know that PyroMoon is an alt account of Wreked created with the intention of "sneaking" into your group and causing havoc. Just so you know.

ScubaGoomba

Smash Apprentice
To Loooooni, I really like that video. Kind of a leap from the original image of Geno, but art is art; one of my favorite things is when people take something and make it their own, even if it fails miserably (not to say that video failed).

Ludwig Van Beethoven

Smash Cadet
Urgh, man I hate when people draw Geno in a anime style...it just doesn't look right, but that one is somewhat TOLERABLE (referring to the How to Draw video one, I dislike a bit it but it doesn't make me cringe.)

This is just insulting though http://genolover.deviantart.com/art/Arttrade-Geno-on-a-Hill-57809993

Looks nothing like Geno besides color, looks more like some female magician.
But that's just my opinion.....

LemonKing

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, but the only thing that bothers me about that picture of Geno is how tight the shorts are, and how high up they are. Makes him look like a wussy.

Dhaka

Smash Cadet
Urgh, man I hate when people draw Geno in a anime style...it just doesn't look right, but that one is somewhat TOLERABLE (referring to the How to Draw video one, I dislike a bit it but it doesn't make me cringe.)

This is just insulting though http://genolover.deviantart.com/art/Arttrade-Geno-on-a-Hill-57809993

Looks nothing like Geno besides color, looks more like some female magician.
But that's just my opinion.....
I agree... that picture is just plain terrible (in the sense of it looking like Geno). If it was just a random anime character pic, then it would be acceptible.

It kinda reminds me of comparing the live action Mario Bros movie to the video games. Yea... I went there....

wtfumble

Smash Cadet
im a RIDLEY member so yeah you might recognize it

this thread is too inactive for me, i'm gonna leave for now.

Geno ftw and all that

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Hey Geno fans.
I like the idea of Geno but I think a better moveset could be made.. altho I probably wont take the time to draw anything, I think more focus should be put on his puppet-like movements and.. tilts shouldnt shoot pellets.

Did you have more ideas for movesets besides the on on the main page / flash ?

Zubyyyy

Yung Zuby the Falco God
Hey Geno fans.
I like the idea of Geno but I think a better moveset could be made.. altho I probably wont take the time to draw anything, I think more focus should be put on his puppet-like movements and.. tilts shouldnt shoot pellets.

Did you have more ideas for movesets besides the on on the main page / flash ?
The Finger-Shot was Geno's signature attack in RPG. I see no reason as to why he shouldn't have them. He did not have many puppet-like moves in Rpg (Did he have any in RPG AT ALL?), so I see no reason as to how that should work.

ScubaGoomba

Smash Apprentice
The Finger-Shot was Geno's signature attack in RPG. I see no reason as to why he shouldn't have them. He did not have many puppet-like moves in Rpg (Did he have any in RPG AT ALL?), so I see no reason as to how that should work.
Well, he's not saying to remove the Finger Shot, just to remove the idea of it being a tilt (which I agree with). It would be better suited as a Special or a Smash. Maybe as an alternate list of Specials...

Smash B - Geno Beam
Low Power and no knockback, but can be kept active for a short period of time. Deals a small percentage for every hit that is registered, but if the B button is held, it will continuously damage any foe within range. If held for too long, however, the attack will fizzle out and cannot be used again for a short period of time.

Up B - Geno Boost (can't really come up with a better name...)
Geno uses magical energies to teleport a moderate distance as a means of recovery (not as long as Zelda's, but shorter than Sheik's). Deals no damage to foes, but he is granted invulnerability frames while initiating the teleport.

Down B - Geno Whirl
Medium damage but very little knockback, Geno summons a yellow disk that can be controlled by the player for a short period of time. The disk is still able to be controlled after hitting an enemy, but if Geno is injured during the duration of the attack, the disk disappears.

B - Finger Shot
Medium Damage and causes the opponent to flinch; Geno fires a barrage of small pellets horizontally. The attack can be charged to fire more pellets, much like Sheik's needles, but the charge cannot be held.

Basically, in my opinion, Geno should have attacks that serve well toward bringing damage up on an opponent, but he would lack much knockback in his attacks, making knockouts at low percentages. He would be lightweight and fast, with very good recovery (I was thinking of reworking the Geno Whirl as his Up B to give him flight on the disks, which would aid in recovery).

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Well, he's not saying to remove the Finger Shot, just to remove the idea of it being a tilt (which I agree with). It would be better suited as a Special or a Smash. Maybe as an alternate list of Specials...

Smash B - Geno Beam
Low Power and no knockback, but can be kept active for a short period of time. Deals a small percentage for every hit that is registered, but if the B button is held, it will continuously damage any foe within range. If held for too long, however, the attack will fizzle out and cannot be used again for a short period of time.

Up B - Geno Boost (can't really come up with a better name...)
Geno uses magical energies to teleport a moderate distance as a means of recovery (not as long as Zelda's, but shorter than Sheik's). Deals no damage to foes, but he is granted invulnerability frames while initiating the teleport.

Down B - Geno Whirl
Medium damage but very little knockback, Geno summons a yellow disk that can be controlled by the player for a short period of time. The disk is still able to be controlled after hitting an enemy, but if Geno is injured during the duration of the attack, the disk disappears.

B - Finger Shot
Medium Damage and causes the opponent to flinch; Geno fires a barrage of small pellets horizontally. The attack can be charged to fire more pellets, much like Sheik's needles, but the charge cannot be held.

Basically, in my opinion, Geno should have attacks that serve well toward bringing damage up on an opponent, but he would lack much knockback in his attacks, making knockouts at low percentages. He would be lightweight and fast, with very good recovery (I was thinking of reworking the Geno Whirl as his Up B to give him flight on the disks, which would aid in recovery).
Yeh something like that, siince I dont like the idea of having finger shots being short range

Tho geno beam being side b may not be too liked

ScubaGoomba

Smash Apprentice
I initially had it as B, but with the Finger Shot being chargable, it wouldn't be as fluid.

What about it as Side B would really be that big of a deal, though?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I initially had it as B, but with the Finger Shot being chargable, it wouldn't be as fluid.

What about it as Side B would really be that big of a deal, though?
I think side b for finger shots would be better. Im just trying to think what would be a better way to do things since having 2 chargeable b attacks that both go horizontally could be lame.. maybe.

ScubaGoomba

Smash Apprentice
Well, the way I have it worked out, the Finger Shot charges and acts similar to Sheik's needles in that it's a series a small, low power attacks that hit one foe. The Geno Beam would have about as much power as the Finger Shot, but instead of being one launch, it will last the duration of the charge and, rather than only hitting one enemy, the attack will go through anybody within range and deal continuous damage until the charge is ended. Anything would be better than Sonic, though ("let's see how many ways we can create subtle differences to rolling"), so I'm not too concerned. Thankfully, I'm not actually making the game.

I kind of had the idea of Geno being beast in melees when making the set, being able to use the same attack to hit multiple foes.

Top Bottom