• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Geno Thread

HappyBirthday

Smash Cadet
Sadly I've never played SMRPG but Geno seems extremely interesting and he has support from me. He is definetly going to make it into Brawl

Enigma14

Smash Champion
All Geno-fans/alliance members PM me.

Anyways Instead of staying put for an attack like Mewtwo's Shadowball attack there should be a slide when he does the rocket punch.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Yes, there was one person who suggeste the Blue Virus from Dr. Mario, Bow Wow the Chain chomp from Link's Awakening, and Link's Uncle from a Link to the Past as playable characters. XD Still, when you go through the comments, you learn that Sakurai has a really weird sense of humor, something I'm glad I can relate to.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Ok let's start talking about the best moveset for him (B Moveset wise.)

B:Geno beam
BV:Geno blast
B>:Geno whirl
B^:Geno cannon
FS:Geno Boost
Hmm i personally think i got the moveset right well but i'm not sure , Anyhow anybody got any subspace emissary idea's with him ? Are you going to main geno or use him a bit once he gets in ? :p.(I'll use him if he gets in personally , Subspace emissary i feel something with lucas with him...Like Lucas and Geno pairing up in the SSE.)

PyroMoon

Smash Rookie

Hmm i personally think i got the moveset right well but i'm not sure , Anyhow anybody got any subspace emissary idea's with him ? Are you going to main geno or use him a bit once he gets in ? :p.(I'll use him if he gets in personally , Subspace emissary i feel something with lucas with him...Like Lucas and Geno pairing up in the SSE.)
Check a couple pages back for a really good SE storyline by shadow.

Ludwig Van Beethoven

Smash Cadet

Seems decent the whole cannon thing as his recovery seems odd but I guess there isn't much option for it. I was thinking maybe switch the cannon with a beam move and make it so when he's in the air he shoots it down to gain vertical distance and when grounded he shoots it forward as a semi-powerful projectile.

If he is in I'd try to main him, only way I wouldn't is if he was at the rock bottom tier i.e. Kirby, Pichu, Mewtwo in melee.

Lucas and Geno would be interesting seeing as they both use energy based moves.

Ornages

Smash Rookie
aww fine I figured it out myself >_>

soooooooooooo assuming that geno DOES make it wtf will he do in SE?
edit: oh, sum1 answered taht already...
>_>

i still don't think he'll make it >=[

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Check a couple pages back for a really good SE storyline by shadow.
Yeah he had a pretty good one , The one with Dedede and him ? Very good , The only part i didn't like (Which has nothing to do with this.) IS were he mentioned Mario and Geno fighting against smithy...As much as i like that sakurai is likely to do something like Kirby Lucas and Geno or have them with Mario and team up or so (Since it's not really suppose to "Canon" One game and be like it.) But that had nothing to do with it , Anyhow his idea was pretty original , Anyhow i wonder how geno will look like once he's in ^_^!

Enigma14

Smash Champion

Hmm i personally think i got the moveset right

No. Not everyone will agree. I don't, sorry.

I agree with Beam, blast and whirl but switch cannon and boost

paralasalud

Smash Ace

geno would be a character i main because i love. i'm sure i'll find another main just because i like the way he/she/it feels.

i thought geno boost could just be a taunt.
also, aren't geno blast and geno cannon the same? technically there was no geno cannon, but he did turn into a cannon for geno blast. maybe the geno boost taunt could work like a street fighter thing and by a small percentage boost the attack of his geno whirl to do 100% or somethin.

edit: @ ORANGES: i'm wondering if you've played SMRPG or not.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
No. Not everyone will agree. I don't, sorry.

I agree with Beam, blast and whirl but switch cannon and boost
Hmm i think that will work then ^_^ , Ok there we have a simple moveset for him :p.( I Liked geno boost as of him powering up then being able to hit for a short while like peach's attack but that's just me.)
B^:Geno boost
FS:Geno cannon
There we go , Fixed :p.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Geno being in, better guarantee a spot for Mallow :ohwell:
If Geno makes it, I can almost guarentee that Mallow won't be far behind as an AT because, from what the updates indicate, all the playable third party characters will have an AT closely related to them. I can't decide what would be a better attack for Mallow to use though, Snowy or Star Rain.

PyroMoon

Smash Rookie
Yeah he had a pretty good one , The one with Dedede and him ? Very good , The only part i didn't like (Which has nothing to do with this.) IS were he mentioned Mario and Geno fighting against smithy...As much as i like that sakurai is likely to do something like Kirby Lucas and Geno or have them with Mario and team up or so (Since it's not really suppose to "Canon" One game and be like it.) But that had nothing to do with it , Anyhow his idea was pretty original , Anyhow i wonder how geno will look like once he's in ^_^!
I think Geno would be very detailed with his wood, and his blue and yellow outfit who very vibrant and royal.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
I think Geno would be very detailed with his wood, and his blue and yellow outfit who very vibrant and royal.
Hmm seems expected...Since DEDEDE Was very royal but the wood...I Can't wait to see that , You got me a good image in my head of that :chuckle:.

If Geno makes it, I can almost guarentee that Mallow won't be far behind as an AT because, from what the updates indicate, all the playable third party characters will have an AT closely related to them. I can't decide what would be a better attack for Mallow to use though, Snowy or Star Rain.
Hey fatmanonice i was wondering...If geno makes the cut will you main with him ? Anyhow Mallow as an AT Is a good idea , Either that or smithy but i can see smithy as a boss (IF Third party's get bosses , Which we have no clue of yet <_<.)

Enigma14

Smash Champion
Both like Knuckle Joe, cause he can use 2 attacks!

All GENO-FANS/Alliance members/ supporters PM ME!

paralasalud

Smash Ace
not sure if anyone has thought of this, but it just hit me and i had to get it out.

geno's fsmash could be a 2-part one (like link's melee)
he would punch, then then follow up would be his rocket punch!
tell me what ya'll think, because i think it could be applied to a couple of his other smashes. not for all of them because that would be annoying. for example his usmash could be an upward punch or something, then the follow up is a really short ranged starburst (think of zelda neutral A).

Desruprot

Smash Lord
Geno is definitly in, I still wonder why delay at a time like this to announce a character, overall Geno should make it, he is extreme popular and reliable...

Enigma14

Smash Champion
not sure if anyone has thought of this, but it just hit me and i had to get it out.

tell me what ya'll think, because i think it could be applied to a couple of his other smashes. not for all of them because that would be annoying. for example his usmash could be an upward punch or something, then the follow up is a really short ranged starburst (think of zelda neutral A).
that would be cool but its kinda like a uppercut finish like one of the street fighter moves.

paralasalud

Smash Ace
I think Mallow could be in, too. What would Mallow do though?? I would love to have both of them as PCs. :)
* Mallow: He appears and does one of his moves such as Snowy, Thunderbolt or HP rain.
o Snowy: A huge snowman appears and squishes everyone and does about 15%
o Thunderbolt: Mallow summons lighting and it strikes everyone but the user who summoned him about 10%
o HP rain: Heals the user who summoned him. Heals 5-10%

from the wiki.
i like the idea of HP rain. only i like my idea better, where the cloud floats around the stage and anyone can stand under it and recover energy per second.

EDIT: woops those were AT ideas. mallow might be a cool PC, but i really doubt he'll make it. so i'm not going to bother discussing it. he would truly be WTF if he made a spot in brawl.

EDIT 2: @ enigma not really. it could be like marth's upsmash sans a sword.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
FUQ THIS

Im moving everyone to a quiet and secure place, called my forum.

If you want to go there PM me or the guy with the Marth avatar that starts with a Hembat or something sorry I don't remember your long name.

Geno 4 Brawl!

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
FUQ THIS

Im moving everyone to a quiet and secure place, called my forum.

If you want to go there PM me or the guy with the Marth avatar that starts with a Hembat or something sorry I don't remember your long name.

Geno 4 Brawl!
hemightbegiant D:

But yes, gimpy, you had our invites, now please, close this thread.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yes, best idea for his fsmash yet

If Geno makes it as a character then mallow would at least be an at for sure
Once they've come to an agreement with square there would be nothing stopping them from using both. We will either see both Geno and Mallow or neither

paralasalud

Smash Ace
Yes, best idea for his fsmash yet

If Geno makes it as a character then mallow would at least be an at for sure
Once they've come to an agreement with square there would be nothing stopping them from using both. We will either see both Geno and Mallow or neither
true dat. if geno is in mallow is in fo sho in some form or another.
maybe even smithy too.

on a side note, that's a wonderful sig. did you design it yourself?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Before this discussion carries on any longer, I want to clarify something: Geno does not have a 100% chance of being in this game and those that believe he does are just too swept up in the moment. From what information we have about what Geno has going for him, I'd say that his chances are between 75% and 80%, which is about the same I'd give to Claus and Shiek coming back. In comparison, I'd rate Krystal at 95%, Ridley and Olimar at about 90% and Megaman at about 85%.

As the situation stands, he will either be playable or he won't show up at all. Why? Because he's technically third party and there'd be no point in just having him as an AT especially when 1. the Mario franchise already has two, 2. there has already been 18 ATs confirmed and 7 of the already confirmed represented franchises like Zelda and DK don't even have one yet, 3. how there are tons of smaller franchises that Nintendo hasn't yet tapped into yet.

Now, here's what Geno has going for him:

1. The 5 mentions in Sakurai's journal

2. SMRPG being the most requested VC game in both North America and Japan since it was basically first announced.

3. SMRPG's director now working for Nintendo as the founder of the second party, Alpha Dream. (The man who is presumed responsible for getting Geno into Mario and Luigi: Super Star Saga)

4. Pretty much a moveset given to the developers on a silver platter.

5. His appearance in both the 2001 Melee poll and the 2006 Brawl poll.

6. Nintendo offically classifying him as a Mario character rather then third party.

7. Nintendo having the upper hand when it comes to Geno's legal situation and thus making him much easier to obtain then other third party characters.

8. Him being the only original Mario RPG character besides Fawful to appear in more then one game and play some sort of role.

9. Yoko Shimomura (the composer who did the music for both SMRPG and MaL:SSS) being one of the composers for Brawl.

10. Nintendo and Square Enix being on good terms especially when you consider they've made two joint projects in the past year and there are a ton of SE games on the way for the DS and Wii.

Here's what Geno has going against him:

1. Square Enix still having the power to say no if Nintendo refuses whatever "rental agreement" SE might establish.

2. The chance that Nintendo won't even bother asking Square Enix in the first place.

3. His overall obscurity.

That's basically the situation laid out in black and white. Granted, 2 doesn't seem likely since the situation is basically win-win for both companies (Nintendo gets to use a wanted character and SE makes some money for a character that's basically worthless to them) and 3 really isn't a factor considering how the likes of the Ice Climbers and Mr. Game and Watch have come back from the "dead." Number one is the biggest concern and if Geno was completely first party, I'd probably bump his chances to 85%. The ultimateum of whether or not Square Enix will agree to the deal is what ultimately will decide if Geno makes it in or not. Granted, this is the situation with all third party characters but it should be noted despite Geno's legal situation being somewhat different.

So there you have it. I think with all this said, I think our reasons for supporting this character and beliefs that he has a decent chance are well founded and don't dive into sheer fanboyism like some people suggest.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
hemightbegiant D:

But yes, gimpy, you had our invites, now please, close this thread.
Not everyone in this thread wants to move to some second rate forum, so no i dont think they will close this thread

true dat. if geno is in mallow is in fo sho in some form or another.
maybe even smithy too.

on a side note, that's a wonderful sig. did you design it yourself?

Out of all of the characters in SMRPG i found smithy to be the most boring, they could have done a better job with smithy but yeah he would make a decent boss in SE.

Yes i hand drew the image, colored it in, scanned it up to my computer, imported it into photoshop, added effects and made it into the sig it is now.... i wish, nah i just found the image and made a request in .Yoshi's sig shop :laugh:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
i agree with all your percentages. the permission is definitely the biggest barrier.
and i definitely have not seen any extreme fanboyism.
That post was actually directed at the guy who calls himself "oranges" but I'm not even sure if he's still on. Regardless, what I said probably should be taken to mind by everyone else in this thread too.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Before this discussion carries on any longer, I want to clarify something: Geno does not have a 100% chance of being in this game and those that believe he does are just too swept up in the moment. From what information we have about what Geno has going for him, I'd say that his chances are between 75% and 80%, which is about the same I'd give to Claus and Shiek coming back. In comparison, I'd rate Krystal at 95%, Ridley and Olimar at about 90% and Megaman at about 85%.

As the situation stands, he will either be playable or he won't show up at all. Why? Because he's technically third party and there'd be no point in just having him as an AT especially when 1. the Mario franchise already has two, 2. there has already been 18 ATs confirmed and 7 of the already confirmed represented franchises like Zelda and DK don't even have one yet, 3. how there are tons of smaller franchises that Nintendo hasn't yet tapped into yet.

Now, here's what Geno has going for him:

1. The 5 mentions in Sakurai's journal

2. SMRPG being the most requested VC game in both North America and Japan since it was basically first announced.

3. SMRPG's director now working for Nintendo as the founder of the second party, Alpha Dream. (The man who is presumed responsible for getting Geno into Mario and Luigi: Super Star Saga)

4. Pretty much a moveset given to the developers on a silver platter.

5. His appearance in both the 2001 Melee poll and the 2006 Brawl poll.

6. Nintendo offically classifying him as a Mario character rather then third party.

7. Nintendo having the upper hand when it comes to Geno's legal situation and thus making him much easier to obtain then other third party characters.

8. Him being the only original Mario RPG character besides Fawful to appear in more then one game and play some sort of role.

9. Yoko Shimomura (the composer who did the music for both SMRPG and MaL:SSS) being one of the composers for Brawl.

10. Nintendo and Square Enix being on good terms especially when you consider they've made two joint projects in the past year and there are a ton of SE games on the way for the DS and Wii.

Here's what Geno has going against him:

1. Square Enix still having the power to say no if Nintendo refuses whatever "rental agreement" SE might establish.

2. The chance that Nintendo won't even bother asking Square Enix in the first place.

3. His overall obscurity.

That's basically the situation laid out in black and white. Granted, 2 doesn't seem likely since the situation is basically win-win for both companies (Nintendo gets to use a wanted character and SE makes some money for a character that's basically worthless to them) and 3 really isn't a factor considering how the likes of the Ice Climbers and Mr. Game and Watch have come back from the "dead." Number one is the biggest concern and if Geno was completely first party, I'd probably bump his chances to 85%. The ultimateum of whether or not Square Enix will agree to the deal is what ultimately will decide if Geno makes it in or not. Granted, this is the situation with all third party characters but it should be noted despite Geno's legal situation being somewhat different.

So there you have it. I think with all this said, I think our reasons for supporting this character and beliefs that he has a decent chance are well founded and don't dive into sheer fanboyism like some people suggest.
[/gets all fanbiased on claus on you] WHY YOU :mad:...Nah i'm kidding ;) Besides we can't really compete over two characters from different series , They are both likely to be in anyways (Keyword:Likely XD.) Hmm wow that was a good simple run-through on that :p.

Shadow Star

Smash Apprentice
That's a good idea. Should Mallow and Geno work together in Adventure mode?
I don't think so. The thing that Sakurai is aiming for is to have characters from different games team-up, which is why we are seeing stuff like Mario/Pit, Kirby/Peach, and Diddy/Fox.
If Mallow did somehow get in, he would mostly likely be paired up with Lucas or the Ice Climbers or something.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
@ thirdkoopa:

Considering how more then 200 characters were suggested during the Brawl poll, having more then a 50% chance is pretty astonishing in itself. I'm sure you're already aware about Claus has going for him but he does have one thing, although entirelly hypothetical until Brawl comes out, going against him: whether or not Sakurai wants Mother to have more then one playable rep. The franchise only consists of three games in the span of almost 20 years and he may not consider it big and/or important enough to have more then one rep. On the other hand, the Mother franchise has almost double the representation in stuff it had in Melee already and Sakurai did say how he intended to not belittle Mother 3 since he enjoyed the game so much. Still, outside of the journal and Ness basically getting the boot, there really aren't that many clues that point to whether or not Sakurai intends to represent it with more then one character. Keep in mind that I still support Claus so it's not like I placed him there out of spite.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
I don't think so. The thing that Sakurai is aiming for is to have characters from different games team-up, which is why we are seeing stuff like Mario/Pit, Kirby/Peach, and Diddy/Fox.
If Mallow did somehow get in, he would mostly likely be paired up with Lucas or the Ice Climbers or something.
Mallow with Ice Climbers seems likely....

I can't help but try to make the pairings make sense.....thats why I chose Kirby and Geno.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
@ thirdkoopa:

Considering how more then 200 characters were suggested during the Brawl poll, having more then a 50% chance is pretty astonishing in itself. I'm sure you're already aware about Claus has going for him but he does have one thing, although entirelly hypothetical until Brawl comes out, going against him: whether or not Sakurai wants Mother to have more then one playable rep. The franchise only consists of three games in the span of almost 20 years and he may not consider it big and/or important enough to have more then one rep. On the other hand, the Mother franchise has almost double the representation in stuff it had in Melee already and Sakurai did say how he intended to not belittle Mother 3 since he enjoyed the game so much. Still, outside of the journal and Ness basically getting the boot, there really aren't that many clues that point to whether or not Sakurai intends to represent it with more then one character. Keep in mind that I still support Claus so it's not like I placed him there out of spite.
Putting him close to geno who has no cha ((Kidding of course , Duh :p.)) My point is still that it's likely to be with another rep , Do you have any clue how well Mother 3 did in japan ? Oh great i don't want to get off-topic , Your right ... It's what SAKURAI Thinks! :p.

Anyhow what else should we talk about on geno ? :p , I Really don't think mallow should be an NPC Who helps you in adventure mode because i kind of don't want this to be a cannon game of a bunch of other games but that's just me , I'd like to see that happen through :chuckle:.

Top Bottom