• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Geno Thread

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
sneaking low to the ground, ready to pounce
@Tiamat True, but this will most likely be the last one Sakurai works on...

And That has me worried because Smash without Sakurai is like apple pie with out apples...

...apples that have a random chance of exploding in your spoon right before you put them in your mouth, but Apples none the less. =p

JesterBox

Smash Ace
The chance of Geno being a PC is better than his chance at being an AT.

It would be difficult for Nintendo to actually convince Square to let them use Geno in the first place. If they do, why would they go to all that trouble just to make him an AT?

I say he will either not be in the game at all, or he will be a player character.
I agree with everything except it being difficult. He made a cameo In Mario and Luigi and Nintendo didn't mind putting in "Geno is property of Square blah legal jargon."

Gindor

Smash Ace
Not talking much now, just PM if anything importan
It all depends on how things happen,
1-it could be hard for nintendo to get geno and geno will probably be playable character. otherwise all that work for an AT would be quite worthless.
2-it could be easy for nintendo to get geno and it would be like flipping a coin. a really good character that was easy to get, or a very equal in effort AT.

chaos_Leader

Smash Lord
I think Geno has the potential to be a great addition into SSBB, He's been around over a decade. If the likes of Ice Climbers can make it in ssbm after 16 years of inactivity, than Geno should have little trouble making it in Brawl after 11, Its about time for Geno.

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
You have to remember though that Ice Climbers was just one of many 16 year old franchises, the rest of whom didn't make it into Melee. IC had to kick and claw their way to the top only just barely beating out Balloon Fighter and Pit in a brutal no-holds barred arena match to the death. Pit just barely survived to resurface today. Oh the horror! I didn't see the battle but it was quite horrifying and traumatic, I must imagine (in fact, for all we know, maybe for the sequel Pit sniped Geno right through the head with an arrow in order to get the hypothetically-one-remaining retro slot for Brawl. There's blood on that angel's hands, I tell you!)

Gindor

Smash Ace
You have to remember though that Ice Climbers was just one of many 16 year old franchises, the rest of whom didn't make it into Melee. IC had to kick and claw their way to the top only just barely beating out Balloon Fighter and Pit in a brutal no-holds barred arena match to the death. Pit just barely survived to resurface today. Oh the horror! I didn't see the battle but it was quite horrifying and traumatic, I must imagine (in fact, for all we know, maybe for the sequel Pit sniped Geno right through the head with an arrow in order to get the hypothetically-one-remaining retro slot for Brawl. There's blood on that angel's hands, I tell you!)
*gasp* NOOOOOOOOO!
If it is a cage match, then geno would pwn, unless somebody took a cheap shot on him.
Looking at it that way, minus the sniping incident, geno's gonna make it in no matter what!

Copperpot

Smash Ace
In retrospect, Geno has just as much of a chance to be in Brawl as Sonic does. Sure, Sonic is a much more popular, classic character, but the majority of his fame was staged on a Sega system. After all, he's still Sega's mascot.

Both have been on a Nintendo system, and both (after 'Olympics') will have appeared in a Mario game. One character is tailored by Square, the other by Sega. Not much of a difference there, if you ask me. For some reason, though, everyone assumes Sonic is in the game but doubts that Geno even has a chance. I wonder why this is . . .

Gindor

Smash Ace
In retrospect, Geno has just as much of a chance to be in Brawl as Sonic does. Sure, Sonic is a much more popular, classic character, but the majority of his fame was staged on a Sega system. After all, he's still Sega's mascot.

Both have been on a Nintendo system, and both (after 'Olympics') will have appeared in a Mario game. One character is tailored by Square, the other by Sega. Not much of a difference there, if you ask me. For some reason, though, everyone assumes Sonic is in the game but doubts that Geno even has a chance. I wonder why this is . . .
search youtube-sonic's proof evidence. It doesn't promise his entry but shows that it is at least at a decent level of happening. On the other hand, geno is a popular character, that has been with nintendo in it's younger days, but nothing official has been said about yet at least.

PrinnyFlute

Smash Journeyman

I think it's mostly the article floating around that says that Sonic was almost in Melee and/or Miyamoto wanted him to appear in these games. Also, the whole Sonic/Mario thing is a big wave of action that's going on right now, and I could easily see Brawl getting swept up in it. It's good PR for Sega to have Sonic in there, given their bumpy track record.

Whereas as much as I love Geno, he is more of a localized fan favorite, and in that case it's just plain more up to Sakurai to go out of his way. Not far out of his way, mind you: I keep restating that Geno would be so easy to borrow from Square it hurts, so we'll probably see him make a guest AT appearance at LEAST, but.

Copperpot

Smash Ace
I see. I wasn't aware that there was this much speculation hovering about in the times before Melee's release, but it could have very-well ended up that, despite Miyamoto wanting him in, Sakurai said no. Ultimately, Sakurai's the voice of the game. Hell, he didn't even have to include Mario if he didn't want to; it just wouldn't be that great of a marketing decision.

user_name

Smash Apprentice
I doubt Geno will be in SSBB as he is owned by Square Enix, but hes a possible third party candidate, I guess...

It's just that he's quite the niche character, and using him in SSBB would probably be a bit harder than a character directly developed by Nintendo. Legally, I mean.

Talendime

Smash Ace
Holy Hell, you make me laugh! You are a funny guy you.

Have the Ice Climbers really only had one game? Man, I hate them....

alpha n00b

Smash Ace
Geno is'nt owned by Nintendo, he was created, and therefore owned by square-enix, so Geno will be a no-show, his best hope is a cameo apperence.

Gindor

Smash Ace
Why not, he is very high on the polls, I don't think they did a poll just to waste time.
I know, but his localization might make nintendo doubt him and his uniqueness would make him challenging to make a moveset that doesn't make him too uber or too weak and misreprisenting. I think it is most likely he will be an AT, but I really want him in!

JesterBox

Smash Ace
What does localization have to do with it?
I think Sakurai would find a star possessed doll with crazy weaponry and star power pretty interesting.
Making balanced movesets for any character is hard, so?

Gindor

Smash Ace
What does localization have to do with it?
I think Sakurai would find a star possessed doll with crazy weaponry and star power pretty interesting.
Making balanced movesets for any character is hard, so?
EX-If only a town of people want him, why add him when there are other characters that several countries want.

I agree with you about his bad a**ness, but I think his moveset (to best fit him in smrpg) would have every one of his specials each one of his spells and his attacks to rarely be melees (and only to stun/knockback foes) while all of the others reprisent his guns.
He would be broken if almost every one of his attacks was a projectile. They would have a very short range at most, making him like marth with more range. And if you say "lower his speed/power to balence him" I would say that he was the fastest character out of the five and had the highest damage potential.
It would be a good chalenge to make him good but not broken. I see him like mewtwo in power and how he might come out in his newcomer game.
And I would gladdly be enlightened about making him balanced and a good reprisentation of smrpg if anyone can.:)

Gindor

Smash Ace
Why doesn't any post after me, I have to double post to tell about an idea somebody had on deviant art!
Anyways, sorry for x2 posting. Algus underdunk had an interesting idea for an up B attack which could possibly be a recover technique.
As I interpret it, he fires both his fists downward causing him to fly up, hitting both above (that being the impact of his own body) and below him (his fists), it was called rocket punch obviously.
I think it is the best idea yet!

blayde_axel

Smash Master
You could have edited. lol.

But still, even in America, Geno's a popular third-party character. But Japan's the country that he's most listening to, anyway.

And it's funny... cause Mallow is all but forgotten most of the time. lol.

Desruprot

Smash Lord
He should have had a high probability, he is an extremely strong character in SMRPG and shows it very well...He appeared in Mario & Luigi? I did not know that

JesterBox

Smash Ace
Your still not making sense to me, Gindor. The characters moves in games don't effect how balanced they are, at all. Yes characters have moves that represent their games (most of the time) yet, that still doesn't mean a game developer would say "Well, If [Insert character] can do all his in-game moves then they will be broken, oh well, I guess I will purposly make a broken character or not one at all."

Gindor

Smash Ace
Your still not making sense to me, Gindor. The characters moves in games don't effect how balanced they are, at all. Yes characters have moves that represent their games (most of the time) yet, that still doesn't mean a game developer would say "Well, If [Insert character] can do all his in-game moves then they will be broken, oh well, I guess I will purposly make a broken character or not one at all."
I hope to see most of geno's A attacks be gunning moves, with the range of marth's blades or so, it would represent him well. If the designers made most of his attacks, gunning types, they might predict he would be broken, and then not add him in at all.

But they might make him differently or just an AT though, in that case I would still be happy.
Do you understand now, if not I am sorry I cannot explain it.

JesterBox

Smash Ace
If they predict something to be "broken" then they fix it. By that logic they would have for seen Marth being broken and scraped him. (no, I don't think Marth is Broken... maybe a little)

Lemme give in exaple in Tekken every one fights with fist, however Yoshimitsu has a sword, now if Yoshimitsu constantly used his sword he'd be total bull, so... they made it so he didn't.

Gindor

Smash Ace
If they predict something to be "broken" then they fix it. By that logic they would have for seen Marth being broken and scraped him. (no, I don't think Marth is Broken... maybe a little)

Lemme give in exaple in Tekken every one fights with fist, however Yoshimitsu has a sword, now if Yoshimitsu constantly used his sword he'd be total bull, so... they made it so he didn't.
I just see him with his guns and think that nintendo would either remove most of his guns, or not include him, either way I would be less happy.
But theres a chance thy will let him have his toys of death, but weakened, that is what I hope for.

Gindor

Smash Ace
I still stand by that Geno Rocks and would be super special awesome. =p
Geno for the win/brawl! *waits for others too join in so there will be more posts and reason to add geno into brawl from the designers view, and also for the heck of it:p*

EDIT-Knuckel joe has just been added as an AT, I see it as good for geno, but that can be speculated...knuckle joe is less than important role wise, setting the level for ATs.

FlatSoda

Smash Champion
Above all, if Geno doesn't make it or not. This hype has made me play Super Mario RPG Continuously, and seeing that he's made it in another game with Mario and Luigi. Kinda let's me see something of this possible.

Geno ftw, Mario RPG stage ftw, Mallow AT ftw.

Haruno Kotetsu

Smash Ace
I'd love if he was in. I've been playing Super Mario RPG a lot haha.

Thing is though, with the limitations on third party characters, im not sure how his chances are, although he was in Sakurai's poll.

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
That wasn't a poll. It was a list compiled by a fan (IE, NOT Sakurai) of the number of times various characters were mentioned in the e-mails that Sakurai decided to publically post for whatever reason not necessarily relating to just the characters in the e-mails, themselves.

If Sakurai actually went out of his way to make an actual poll with a selection of characters for people to choose from and Geno was one of the choices in the selection, that would be an incredibly different story.

Haruno Kotetsu

Smash Ace
That wasn't a poll. It was a list compiled by a fan (IE, NOT Sakurai) of the number of times various characters were mentioned in the e-mails that Sakurai decided to publically post for whatever reason not necessarily relating to just the characters in the e-mails, themselves.

If Sakurai actually went out of his way to make an actual poll with a selection of characters for people to choose from and Geno was one of the choices in the selection, that would be an incredibly different story.
oh, my bad. i just saw this list that had possible characters going on brawl, and it mentioned something like: On Sakurai's Poll: Yes

it'd be great if he had his own stage, or a SMRPG stage if he was in.

Top Bottom