• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Geno Thread

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
Red Darkstar Kirby
Anyone want to explain to me why Geno is important to the Mario franchise?
He's not.

Red Darkstar Kirby
He was in 2 games max.
Ice Climbers were in one.

Red Darkstar Kirby
He didn't even play that big of a role in the games.
He did in the first one.

Red Darkstar Kirby
Geno's rabid cult following is the only thing he has going for him.
That was enough for Ness.

Red Darkstar Kirby
If Geno makes it in, it's just one less spot for other characters who deserve that spot more.
If your favorite character isn't in the game, you can rest assured they weren't going to be in regardless of whether Geno was in or not.

axemangx

Smash Champion
Tazmily Village, Currently Maining: Lucas and Didd
The game Paper Mario was almost going to be SMRPG2, but Nintendo didnt want to agree with them to make another one or something.. so they renamed it Paper Mario.

Who cares how many games he was in? First of all, how many games was Pokemon Trainer in? 1? How many was Ness in (other than Smash Bros games before he got in) 1! Plus, he has a huge role in the game, if you've ever played the game at all Darkstar.

RDK

Smash Hero
Hey Shadenexus! Long time no see. Is this where you've been hanging out?

Ice Climbers were in one.
People like Ice Climbers, Doc Mario, and Game n' Watch were thrown into Melee probably because Sakurai and Co. were short on time. Fillers, if you will. I don't see the same thing happening with Brawl due to the immense amount of time they've had to work on it.

If your favorite character isn't in the game, you can rest assured they weren't going to be in regardless of whether Geno was in or not.
Not because of Geno specifically, but in a general sense, yes--any character added is one less spot for another one. That's simple math.

axemangx

Smash Champion
Tazmily Village, Currently Maining: Lucas and Didd
Did you see the first post of this thread at all Darkstar? It might change your mind.

Also, I doubt Ice Climbers, GnW and DM was thrown in just cause they were "low on time". If they were so low on time, how'd they program them in, give them a moveset, and even get a voice actor for them?

Doubt it.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
The game Paper Mario was almost going to be SMRPG2, but Nintendo didnt want to agree with them to make another one or something.. so they renamed it Paper Mario.

Who cares how many games he was in? First of all, how many games was Pokemon Trainer in? 1? How many was Ness in (other than Smash Bros games before he got in) 1! Plus, he has a huge role in the game, if you've ever played the game at all Darkstar.
HEY RED DARK STAR KIRBY! What's up bro? Pm me!

As for the quote, yeah, that's why I simply refused to play any of the Paper Mario games because the stupid discussion on either Nintendo or Square Enix's part. I just can't tell you how upset I was when I found out that there wouldn't be a SMRPG 2. Hopefully, if Geno does make it to Brawl (or Mallow), that they could resurrect the series if Geno is successful in popularity and is a fan favorite in the character roster.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
axemangx
First of all, how many games was Pokemon Trainer in?

Red Darkstar Kirby
People like Ice Climbers, Doc Mario, and Game n' Watch were thrown into Melee probably because Sakurai and Co. were short on time.
Congratulations! That's the dumbest thing anyone's ever said.

Red Darkstar Kirby
Not because of Geno specifically, but in a general sense, yes--any character added is one less spot for another one. That's simple math.
No it's not, because there's not a limit to how many characters they can have. If they have 35 and they really want to add someone else they could up it to 36.

RDK

Smash Hero
Congratulations! That's the dumbest thing anyone's ever said.
You could explain why you think so, or you could not explain it and instead log off like a fool after bashing me.

Oops. Too late.

No it's not, because there's not a limit to how many characters they can have. If they have 35 and they really want to add someone else they could up it to 36.
THAT'S dumb. They probably had a set number in mind when they started the project. They don't suddnely think "Oh, he would be a good addition." and just throw that character in. Remember that there's 1player mode to think about for each character too. You lose.

blayde_axel

Smash Master
All the Geno hate, jeez. lol.

Well, he was a big part of SSRPG. He played the role of the messenger/intelligence. He was also... I guess you can say... "worker" on the Star Road. But, yeah, he is 3rd party AND has only appeared in ONE game importantly. A Geno LIKE figure appeared in Mario and Luigi as a cameo.

But I'm sure Nintendo knows of his popularity. If it wasn't for the high standing on the Brawl Poll or the constant petitions for a remake to SSRPG simply because Geno was "so kick-***."

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
Red Darkstar Kirby
You could explain why you think so, or you could not explain it and instead log off like a fool after bashing me.

Oops. Too late.
Okay, you're right... It was genious of you to say that. They were short on time, so they had no choice but to add in Ice Climbers and give them a completely unique and innovative moveset. That completely makes sense.

Red Darkstar Kirby
THAT'S dumb. They probably had a set number in mind when they started the project. They don't suddnely think "Oh, he would be a good addition." and just throw that character in. Remember that there's 1player mode to think about for each character too. You lose.
Sakurai specifically said that they didn't plan to have 26 characters in Melee, they just happened to come to that number. They don't start doing all the Adventure Mode stuff until they've finished the character list. And before you inevitably ask me "How do you know that? Are you making the game?" I know that because they can't make an Adventure Mode involving characters that they haven't even decided are going to be in the game yet.

blayde_axel
Well, he was a big part of SSRPG. He played the role of the messenger/intelligence.
The intelligence part must be what's keeping Darkstar Kirby from relating to him.

blayde_axel
A Geno LIKE figure appeared in Mario and Luigi as a cameo.
Yeah, and his name was Geno. Also, he was Geno.

Sinn

Smash Lord
Yeah, and his name was Geno. Also, he was Geno.
Something about that made me laugh. Your points are all so simple and to the point. And you've taken points I wanted to make if I'd been on at the time.

I said it somewhere else, but I might as well say it here...Geno was THE most important character in that game. If they'd taken all of the previously existing Mario characters out of the game, they could have still kept the vast majority of the plot the same and it would have still been enjoyable.

The thing I really find strange about these character debates is that nearly any argument someone comes up with for why a character can't or shouldn't be in the game can be countered with the existence of a character that's already been included in a past game...

Sinn

Smash Lord
Geno is less important to Nintendo's gaming history? I don't know if that's entirely true...on what do you base that opinion? Wolf may have made an appearance in more games than Geno, but the game that featured Geno was released a year before Wolf's first game appearance (though if Star Fox 2 hadn't been canceled, he certainly would have appeared first). I'm not sure if that's even really the point though. I think it's more a matter of...if we were to remove both of them from their games, would the series then have been significantly different?

Removing Geno would have likely had little to no impact on the future of the Mario RPG series. However, Geno's role in Legend of the Seven Stars was fairly important, and the game came first in its series of related games. It's within reason to think that because the success of that game paved the way for future Mario RPG titles, it has a fair amount of historical significance.

Wolf, on the other hand, was a supporting character to the Star Fox series added in the second game. Do you feel the success of that game is as important to the continuation of the Star Fox series as was Legend of the Seven Stars to the Mario RPG series?

I think Wolf is a good character, and would be a good addition to Brawl. I just don't quite agree with (or perhaps understand) your previous statement.

Gindor

Smash Ace
Not talking much now, just PM if anything importan
Geno is less important to Nintendo's gaming history? I don't know if that's entirely true...on what do you base that opinion? Wolf may have made an appearance in more games than Geno, but the game that featured Geno was released a year before Wolf's first game appearance (though if Star Fox 2 hadn't been canceled, he certainly would have appeared first). I'm not sure if that's even really the point though. I think it's more a matter of...if we were to remove both of them from their games, would the series then have been significantly different?

Removing Geno would have likely had little to no impact on the future of the Mario RPG series. However, Geno's role in Legend of the Seven Stars was fairly important, and the game came first in its series of related games. It's within reason to think that because the success of that game paved the way for future Mario RPG titles, it has a fair amount of historical significance.

Wolf, on the other hand, was a supporting character to the Star Fox series added in the second game. Do you feel the success of that game is as important to the continuation of the Star Fox series as was Legend of the Seven Stars to the Mario RPG series?

I think Wolf is a good character, and would be a good addition to Brawl. I just don't quite agree with (or perhaps understand) your previous statement.
QFT

Care to elaborate?
yes, a point is useless without defense.

Booshnig

Smash Cadet
Wasn't Geno tied with Diddy Kong on the poll? (or just under) I'd say he's got a very good chance of getting in if Diddy made it before DeDeDe. He's a unique character (smash bros lacks effective b-button characters, geno could fill in), looks badass, and could be considered a cult revival similar to Pit or Marth/Roy.

Littleonetwo

Smash Cadet
GENO BEAM!!! FOR THE WIN!

whats so bad about geno, hes my favorite original character in Mario RPG.

his moves were always so cool, i mean he turns into a living cannon, thats so awesome.

Sinn

Smash Lord
Hm, on that note...maybe Geno's final smash could involve him morphing like a transformer...only smaller and made of wood <3

PPNY

Smash Journeyman
Geno's final smash would most likely be when he turns into a cannon and shoots out the sun thing. I think it was the last big speacil attack he learned...

Littleonetwo

Smash Cadet
Geno's final smash would most likely be when he turns into a cannon and shoots out the sun thing. I think it was the last big speacil attack he learned...
you know i really dont remember, i should play through it again.

you know what would be awesome.. if in his final smash he transforms then be for he shoots a text box appears that says, rotate the directional analog to do more damage, and then the better you do it the better it is, just like the original.

man nostalgia is getting to me *runs to his SNES*

Sinn

Smash Lord
Most of the final smash moves seem to have at least a little something in the way of skill to make them better, so that would be a good addition. Pit's doesn't though, and I don't think Link's really does so much either (I have no idea how it even chooses who to attack). But for a move like this that's essentially just a massive explosion...yeah, I think it would be better to not just have it be an uber unavoidable kill all.

PPNY

Smash Journeyman
XD That would be evil Littleonetwo.

And yes I hate Pits Final smash. For gods sake. Its like he summons a god behind the stage. You think she is going to like destroy everything and instead...she sends really ******** looking angels to run into your foes. It looks like if you block they just sort of die...wtf?

Sinn

Smash Lord
My only defense for that is that those guys WERE fairly useful for boss fights, if I remember correctly. But I too would much prefer her to help in a not sucky way.

Then again, if those little buggers are stronger and faster than I think they are, it could possibly be a good thing. We'll have to wait and see.

Zhilo

Smash Apprentice
Maybe the angel army barrage lasts longer than we think, like those unnown pokemon in melee. Then it would be pretty good because you'd have a chance to run around and hit people to break their shields while they're defending from the army.

I'm kinda bored solets ponder this for a while:

Would Geno be a light or heavy character?

On one hand, he is made of wood and doesnt look very tall (maybe same height as Mario)

On the other, his wooden puppet body seems to be filled with a nearly infinite number of lead cannon balls and bullets :D

Zhilo

Smash Apprentice
Being light or of medium height could make recovery easier, unless they totally screwed him over on recovery moves like in doctor mario's case. In any case, and this goes for all the Brawl characters, he needs a very good and maneuverable recovery, because it looks like this Brawl has a bigger aerial game, with more flying characters and now having everyone able to meteor smash.

Sinn

Smash Lord
I loved Geno's logic in why he picked that doll over Mario's, Bowser's and Peach's..."Because it looked the strongest." xD If that logic holds true...Geno IS more powerful than the rest of them. Who wants to be a real boy NOW, huh?

Gindor

Smash Ace
Not talking much now, just PM if anything importan
Because of school, these threads have become a bother. I won't talk a lot anymore.

Though I will return to talk when something big happens, if I miss a event like that, please pm me.

Geno for brawl! (hopefully tonight)

Could (insert person who's name has eluded me) tell me how the forest maze music is going, and send it to me if it is done, though PM BTW.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
^
^
Also who wants to play as another Mario/Peach/Bowser clone?

Dr. Mario is ok, Bowser jr., Daisy...

Zhilo

Smash Apprentice
well, there's still a long time untill december 3rd, I think that sakurai intents to reveal everyone, including unlockables. But then again, predicting Sakurai is practically impossible.

Capital!, the dea of geno just floating safely in stages like Termina Bay!, they would have to meteor smash him again to be able to kill him on the water.

Sinn

Smash Lord
I would guess that they're not going to make all the characters announced before the game comes out, but eventually will the same way they did on the Melee site.

Geno floating would be an interesting advantage in a few stages (like the Ice Climbers being unaffected by slippery surfaces), but he never floated with Mario got into fights underwater >_>

Top Bottom