• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Geno Thread

Sinn

Smash Lord
When you say randomly scrolling...is it more like the scrolling in the Rainbow Cruise stage, not the Icicle Mountain stage? I found the former to be a lot more fun...but I never was a huge fan of those scrolling stages >.>

Gindor

Smash Ace
Not talking much now, just PM if anything importan
When you say randomly scrolling...is it more like the scrolling in the Rainbow Cruise stage, not the Icicle Mountain stage? I found the former to be a lot more fun...but I never was a huge fan of those scrolling stages >.>
I really didn't care for the stage I fought on, but the stage would scroll like raimbow cruse, but actually random.

The sand-normal thin platforms (can pass though)
The stumps-tall thick platforms (cannot pass though)
The holes-KO pits (doesn't go to bottom of screen, just KO's when you fall into it)

My veiw of it-seems to be a random version of levels like ness' hometown, the only (ussual) KO option is to the sides and up, althou very rarely only holes may spawn (to a degree).

Geno is awesome he's perfect for Brawl
Woot support!

Obvious Stages... Star Hill or The Forest Maze...

Obvious Music... Forest Maze. lol.
QFT-how would star hill work though? :confused:

Geno for brawl!

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I have never posted in this thread before...

But Geno is my TOP pick for Brawl...

If he gets in I might even forgive them if they exclude Dedede...

Mario RPG was my favourite game of all time!!! ...I didn't even know how to play it at the time so it took forever just to get past Mack but...

Good times

pyschomc

Smash Cadet
Geno for Brawl! A friend of mine made these small strips to help support Geno in brawl. They are in my sig. His account here is Enigma14.

Sinn

Smash Lord
Ya know, I always wanted to make a Geno plushie...I thought it would be the coolest thing in the world.

Of course, I lack all artistic skill whatsoever. Le sad.

And come to think of it, there are so many places in Mario RPG that COULD be a stage that I'm not really sure where would be best...but the Forest Maze area's music sounds awesome in techno as OCRemix has shown us...

I don't really support this character but i wouldn't be mad if he got in... I don't understand why he has so much support... He was only in one game and it seems he isn't important enough to either square or mario to include him in another game... .___.;;

Flying Pig

Smash Cadet
Even though Geno is a 3rd party { witch i bet there will be none} I still want him in brawlhe should be the only other 3rd party in there.

Sinn

Smash Lord
My little brother used to have one.
Found it at a garage sale.
Zhēn de ma? O_O God, I have to find a picture of this thing now.

And to Megadio26...I think that Super Mario RPG was important because it paved the way for games like those in the Paper Mario series and the handheld Mario and Luigi RPG games. It's like the father of the Mario RPG's since if that game hadn't been made, they may have never created the others. In that sense, it's a game important enough to be represented in Smash even despite any direct sequels to its story...though the first Paper Mario game seems to be similar in a few ways...

In any case, Geno is, in my opinion, the most unique hero on that game. Mario, Bowser, Peach...all standard Mario characters (and oddly enough, all already in Brawl). Geno and Mallow are the only ones who really represent that game on the hero side, and........let's face it. The other choice is MALLOW. He's far more important to the storyline, has a more interesting selection of moves, a cooler visual design...basically I just like him a lot better >.>

So while there may be a lot of people who think Paper Mario should be in the game...I think that Geno is a better choice, for the above reasons AND because Paper Mario would more than likely have to be pretty similar to Mario or rely heavily on the "paper gimmicks" that they put into the game.

The Subspace Muffin

Smash Cadet
Um, this is probably an extremely bad question, but, I've never played Super Mario RPG, so I'm confused. It's just that Geno has only been in one (fine, two) games. Why does everyone have so much support for him? It's amazing how much people can like a character from one game. I mean, sure, I liked that Dimentio guy or that Count Bleck guy from Super Paper Mario, but why would being in one Mario RPG be any reason for being in SSBB? I would never expect Geno to be in a SSB game if I hadn't seen so much support here.

I hope I didn't come of as... er... offensive, or trollish. I've got nothing against Geno! I just don't know why the heck everyone likes him so much.

JesterBox

Smash Ace
Lots of people have only had one game Pit, Doc. SMRPG kind of kick started the Mario RPG games. Geno is also a "cult favorite" he has the support in Japan too. I don't know about Europe, I heard it wasn't released. That and he's just, well, cool.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Lots of people have only had one game Pit, Doc. SMRPG kind of kick started the Mario RPG games. Geno is also a "cult favorite" he has the support in Japan too. I don't know about Europe, I heard it wasn't released. That and he's just, well, cool.
Pit has had 2 games (I own both of them)

Sinn

Smash Lord
I also want to add that, if Geno IS a character Nintendo would have to go through Square to get, and if they are going to ask Square for a character to add, who else would they pick? There are so many Final Fantasy characters to choose from, and I don't think any of them really say "Nintendo" the way that Geno does.

@ PsychoIncarnate: You have the Game Boy game? That is hardcore <3

axemangx

Smash Champion
Tazmily Village, Currently Maining: Lucas and Didd
I also want to add that, if Geno IS a character Nintendo would have to go through Square to get, and if they are going to ask Square for a character to add, who else would they pick? There are so many Final Fantasy characters to choose from, and I don't think any of them really say "Nintendo" the way that Geno does.

@ PsychoIncarnate: You have the Game Boy game? That is hardcore <3

Super Mario Land was the days... back to the quote replying.

Geno isnt exactaly owned by Square. One could say their owned by both, therefore, they'd be gladly taken, as Square and Nintendo worked together on that game, so they really wouldnt mind.

Geno wouldnt be classified as 3rd party. More like, a character that was made by both companies. If it appears on a Nintendo platform, (SNES) its most likely Nintendo's game written all over it if it has to do with anything remote to Mario.

Sinn

Smash Lord
Then perhaps he would be best described as a first party character that Nintendo still needs joint permission to use...if that response on the front page is correct. Regardless, I still would like to see him in there.

PPNY

Smash Journeyman
Seeing Geno in SSBB would make my life so much happier. If he were to get in, mabey they could make Cluex a boss character? Im not exactly sure if Cluex is stricktly final fantasy or only made for SMRPG. But still might be neat.

Anyways yes for Geno!

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Mack! Mack was the hardest Boss battle for me because the first time I faced him I didn't know a lot about RPG's...I was like "Cool! Mario! I don't understand what's going on but I hope I get Bowser on my team!"

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
When you've never played an RPG before and your a little kid fasinated just by the fact it's about Mario...and you don't understand the concept of leveling up...Mack is difficult...

PPNY

Smash Journeyman
When you've never played an RPG before and your a little kid fasinated just by the fact it's about Mario...and you don't understand the concept of leveling up...Mack is difficult...
Point taken. The first time I rented the game i was so young i didnt even know how to play. Didnt understand the concept of an rpg i suppose.

Xerroo

Smash Journeyman
Geno....

Here is my opinion.

Because Geno was a Mario character he should be considered 1st party but still have to be acquired by Square.

I do not want Geno in if he is one of the 2 other 3rd party characters since it would take away from those who deserve it more such as Bomberman and Megaman.

So here is my take.

1st Party: I don't mind.

3rd party: No.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
I think Geno's chances are hurt just by the fact that if Nintendo has to go to Square for persission to use him, they might try to get a FF character over Geno.

I just can't believe Nintendo would go through the trouble of contacting Square to get permission to use Geno in the small cameo he made in M&L. It's not like his appearance in that game sold one more copy of the game. That makes me think Nintendo might be able to use him whenever they want as long as they credit Square for creating him. That would increase Geno's chances if that were the case.

The biggest thing Geno has going for him is that Sakurai seems to pay attention to what people want, and excluding the characters that have already been confirmed, Geno, Ridley, and Sonic are probably the most requested characters.

PPNY

Smash Journeyman
It would be horrible to see Geno as one of the third party characters wouldent it. I mean he is nintendos an square enix's really. I just hope he gets in as a normal character. He isint worth it other wise

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
I don't even understand what you guys mean by "I hope he gets in as a regular character and not a third party character". He's either third party or he's not. They can't decide for him to not be a third party character in one game if he is in others. And it's not like third party characters are going to play differently or something.

Xerroo

Smash Journeyman
Here's the thing.

Geno technically belongs to Square right?

But Geno was in a Mario game. Therefore making him a Mario character.

Geno was never in any stand alone games but only games that had Mario in it.

So in a sense he is considered to be a Mario character. This way he should be considered an exception to the 3rd party character rule.

Assuming we get 3 3rd party characters we know one is Snake and the other one is most likely going to be Sonic so that only leaves one slot left. Now if Geno takes that 3rd slot, it's a huge slap in the face to the other 3rd party characters that actually deserved it more. Such as Bomberman, Simon Belmon, Megaman etc.

Not only that but it would upset alot of people who had hoped their character gets in.

Now if Square freely allows Nintendo to include him, he should be considered a Nintendo character for Smash and not a 3rd party character since he is in a Mario game who is 1st party.

This way we can have Geno and that 3rd slot open still for a 3rd party character who deserves it.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
Xerroo
This way he should be considered an exception to the 3rd party character rule.
If Square owns the rights to Geno, then that makes him a 3rd party character. It doesn't matter if he's a Mario character or not.

On the show Smallville, which is about Superman, there's a character named Cloey. Cloey was created by the makers of the show. DC Comics had to buy the rights to the character Cloey in order to use her in their comic books.

That's basically the situation with Geno. Unless Square sells Geno to Nintendo, then Geno is a 3rd party character.

Xerroo
Assuming we get 3 3rd party characters we know one is Snake and the other one is most likely going to be Sonic so that only leaves one slot left.
When he said that there would probably be 1 to 2 other 3rd party characters, he was giving a ball park number. There's not a limit. They could have 10 if they wanted to, and got permission. All Sakurai was saying was that he was guessing that there'd be 1 or 2 other 3rd party characters besides Snake. There could be more, there could be less. There's not a limit to how many 3rd party characters they can use.

Xerroo
Not only that but it would upset alot of people who had hoped their character gets in.
Too bad?

Xerroo
Now if Square freely allows Nintendo to include him, he should be considered a Nintendo character for Smash and not a 3rd party character since he is in a Mario game who is 1st party.

This way we can have Geno and that 3rd slot open still for a 3rd party character who deserves it.
There aren't slots and you don't know what you're talking about. How do they "consider" him 1st party? He's either 3rd party or he's not? What are they going to do, put in big letters on the box "Please pretend Geno is 1st party for this game"?

Xerroo

Smash Journeyman
I know he's 3rd party.

But he is a 3rd party character in a Nintendo game.

But as long as Geno doesn't ursurp the final slot from anyone more deserving I don't care if he is in or not. That's all I'm saying really.

RDK

Smash Hero
Anyone want to explain to me why Geno is important to the Mario franchise?

He was in 2 games max. He didn't even play that big of a role in the games. Geno's rabid cult following is the only thing he has going for him.

If Geno makes it in, it's just one less spot for other characters who deserve that spot more.

Geno NOT 4 Brawl

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
^^Ah hem, *cough* WHAT?!

First off, if Squaresoft (Square Enix) agreed to continue to make Super Mario RPG games, then Geno most certainly would be even that much more important to the Nintendo franchise. Ohhhhh that's why I hate Square Enix so so much!!

Case in point, if the series wasn't discontinued then he'd be a shoe-in in Brawl. Sadly, I don't believe he'll make the cut because he's a 3rd party character.

Top Bottom