• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Geno Thread

Hong

The Strongest
its not all about popularity, its about the money. some one said earlier that sakurai is trying to make fans happy. and thats the point. well to a certain degree. but i dont think square-enix is begging nintendo to add him in. because nintendo wouldnt approach square. it be the other way around.
snake got in because konami begged him to nintendo way back at melee.
nintendo might talk to sega about sonic because they would lose a lot of fans (and therefore revenue) by not having him in the game. and same goes for mega-man.
would nintendo lose money if they failed to submit to the fans wishes and add geno?? no not at all.
so on a financial level, geno has no chance. because there arnt enough die hard fans 4 him.
but there is one exception.
they are releasing a new game staring geno on the wii or ds.
but i doubt that.
so geno wont get in because he is third party.
sonic and megaman will get in over him.

can some one not flame my opinions and talk about why what i just said was wrong.
What are you talking about? Many, many, many of the characters haven't had a game for years. And games like the MOTHER series are discontinued. You really have no idea what you're talking about or Nintendo's motives. :/
That and other than Snake, we will more likely than not be with-held of any information regarding third party characters prior to Brawl's release. Meaning these characters won't affect whether or not anyone buys the game.

Cronius

Smash Apprentice
Probably is the key word...and if they HAD said 3 Geno and Megaman fans would never argue...cause that would mean they both would be in...

Besides, as I said...that is just an assumption
You can't say "they both would be in" with such certainty because there are plenty of other 3rd party characters who may even be in instead.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
You can't say "they both would be in" with such certainty because there are plenty of other 3rd party characters who may even be in instead.
Not with as much popularity as much as Sakurai (Whatever his name is) is concerned..

Sonic is #1

Megaman and Geno are #2 (Tied)

Chrisiscool

Smash Apprentice
ok lunidas. so your a women.
im sorry for calling you he.
not used to it =]

well. so i sound ignorant with my arguments. sorry you see it that way. im just trying to tell people that if there is going to be a couple new 3rd parties than geno doesnt deserve it. not up against the likes of sonic and megaman.
its my opinion. take it or leave it.
but cant people stop directing this argument to my replies and more onto the question===

why should geno be in brawl if he is 3rd party?

Pitbull

Smash Cadet
its not all about popularity, its about the money. some one said earlier that sakurai is trying to make fans happy. and thats the point. well to a certain degree. but i dont think square-enix is begging nintendo to add him in. because nintendo wouldnt approach square. it be the other way around.
snake got in because konami begged him to nintendo way back at melee.
nintendo might talk to sega about sonic because they would lose a lot of fans (and therefore revenue) by not having him in the game. and same goes for mega-man.
would nintendo lose money if they failed to submit to the fans wishes and add geno?? no not at all.
so on a financial level, geno has no chance. because there arnt enough die hard fans 4 him.
but there is one exception.
they are releasing a new game staring geno on the wii or ds.
but i doubt that.
so geno wont get in because he is third party.
sonic and megaman will get in over him.

can some one not flame my opinions and talk about why what i just said was wrong.
I don't think that smash will plumet in Sales just because of the addition of a new character that YOU dont like.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
not used to it =]

well. so i sound ignorant with my arguments. sorry you see it that way. im just trying to tell people that if there is going to be a couple new 3rd parties than geno doesnt deserve it. not up against the likes of sonic and megaman.
but cant people stop directing this argument to my replies and more onto the question===

Because other than Sonic, he's the only popular 3rd party member to have actually interacted with Mario...

His 1 game spread wide popularity to rival Megaman in Sakurai's poll

Hong

The Strongest
not used to it =]

Ignorance was referring to how you ignore things.

I gave multiple paragraphs as to why I think he should be in earlier. Like I said. Ignorant. :/

Edit -
http://smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=2822893&postcount=2070

Cronius

Smash Apprentice
Not with as much popularity as much as Sakurai (Whatever his name is) is concerned..

Sonic is #1

Megaman and Geno are #2 (Tied)

not used to it =]

If what Psycho says is true, and I don't know if it is, then Megaman and Geno have an equal chance of being in, (Due to Sakurai's affection for them, and their huge fanbase). If there are three 3rd party characters, then yes, they will probably all be in Brawl. That is why Geno should be in Brawl even though he is 3rd party.

Chrisiscool

Smash Apprentice
your hopeless.
keep on saying im ignorant, it doesnt prove your point more if you keep bashing me.

IMO geno is a character that shouldnt be in brawl.

tell me right now that he will be in brawl over megaman and sonic.

you know deep down that there will only be 2 more 3rd parties.

geno wont be in it.
you can say im stupid all day long. but that wont help you. because geno wont be in.
BUT IF FOR SOME STRANGE REASON HE IS, THEN SAKURAI LIED SO EXPECT A WHOLE ROW OF THIRD PARTIES.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
your hopeless.
keep on saying im ignorant, it doesnt prove your point more if you keep bashing me.

geno wont be in it.
you can say im stupid all day long. but that wont help you. because geno wont be in.
BUT IF FOR SOME STRANGE REASON HE IS, THEN SAKURAI LIED SO EXPECT A WHOLE ROW OF THIRD PARTIES.
If there are more than 2 additions, how is that a lie? WHy do you want limited characters? He didn't state 2 as a fact...and Megaman was apparently mentioned less by Sakurai

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If what Psycho says is true, and I don't know if it is, then Megaman and Geno have an equal chance of being in, (Due to Sakurai's affection for them, and their huge fanbase). If there are three 3rd party characters, then yes, they will probably all be in Brawl. That is why Geno should be in Brawl even though he is 3rd party.
Apparently I was wrong...Megaman was BELOW Geno...Geno #2, Megaman #3

(Sorry for Double Post)

Hong

The Strongest
your hopeless.
But I'm not bashing you. I never did bash, you.

Like I said, Geno ranked higher than MegaMan and got more responses from Sakurai.

geno wont be in it.
You're making this sound like some life threatening emotional issue. Cool down.

Keep in mind, it's a rough translation. Sakurai said something along the lines of "perhaps one or two more third party characters?" Meaning he's not sure since the statement was a question. It could be more or less.

Cronius

Smash Apprentice
your hopeless.

geno wont be in it.
I guess you didn't read my above post. You know, the one that said something about Geno being one of Sakurai's favorite characters, and I think it may have also mentioned something about a huge fanbase. No one "Knows" deep down that there will only be two more 3rd party characters, that's stupid. And it's funny how you're trying to "save face" with the whole "BUT IF FOR SOME STRANGE REASON HE IS, THEN SAKURAI LIED SO EXPECT A WHOLE ROW OF THIRD PARTIES" Just in case he's in it. You really don't like losing, huh?

Sinn

Smash Lord
Heck, we could have RidleyWare, put him in a tuxedo and at the head of a multimillion dollar corperation of video games and we'd never notice.
It would be the greatest game ever made and I would buy five copies. And an additional five for my mother.

No. We are in a world beyond that. No one deserves to be flamed at any point. We are in a civilized world where we can communicate with intellect and respect for even those we dislike. By flaming someone who is not flaming back, you are just making yourself look pathetic and putting in moot effort.
I couldn't agree more with this point here.

And games like the MOTHER series are discontinued.
Why am I the last person to hear about these things? D= I am sad now...

To be honest, as much as I want Geno in, I *am* confused on why he was voted higher than Mega Man since I really thought that Mega Man was a far more popular and well known series. Considering it's half of what Capcom is made of...

Oh, and Chris? Calm down. You're going to have an stroke if you're not careful.

Chrisiscool

Smash Apprentice
If there are more than 2 additions, how is that a lie? WHy do you want limited characters? He didn't state 2 as a fact...and Megaman was apparently mentioned less by Sakurai
well he said one or two more.

i dont want limited characters. i suspect 45.
read the mathmatical reason why at the bottom of the page at this link. = http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=114302&page=6

well. geno didnt help nintendo as much as other third party characters have.
sakurai isnt al powerfull but i feel like geno will be AT'd

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
well he said one or two more.

i dont want limited characters. i suspect 45.
read the mathmatical reason why at the bottom of the page at this link. = http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=114302&page=6

well. geno didnt help nintendo as much as other third party characters have.
sakurai isnt al powerfull but i feel like geno will be AT'd
They wouldn't have a 3rd party AT...that's too much trouble for an item

Hong

The Strongest
A character that actually belongs to Square, but belongs in the Marioverse. What does Sakurai think? Well, actually, he’s intrigued. Geno is tied for second as well, and Sakurai has been noted as asking around for what the character is like. When he starts asking, it’s a good thing, btw. It means he’s bothering to learn who they are But Geno has been mentioned many-a-times, and Sakurai is listening to hard to each suggestion. And he’s yet to turn them down. That’s something, right?
A side note that doesn't really affect Geno's case;
Take Yoko Shimomura for example. Looking at the example of her work, a lot of people are jumping to the conclusion that Sora is in SSBB. However, she also did work on SMRPG, which would hint at an appearance from Geno
And Geno ranked above Sora, 2nd in total for third party characters. Hmm... :p

Edit - About what I said about MOTHER.
Shigesato Itoi said MOTHER 3 is his last game, and Sakurai has left Nintendo. So yeah, this means ill for the MOTHER series since they lost both of their producers. ):

Chrisiscool

Smash Apprentice
the problem is your looking at the japanese poll like it is accurate evidence. yeah geno scored high.
but characters like ness, ice climbers, and pit all share sumthing in common.
they greatly influenced sales at the time of there reign. they werent included because of sum japanese poll that was made based on popularity. it was respect for the characterin that specific game.
i dont think super mario rpg was that great to add geno into brawl where it will fight against giants like samus and zelda. especially when geno is made by square-enix.

i will pay money if geno is in brawl.

Pitbull

Smash Cadet
Geno is in third place on Sakurais Polls right next to Diddy Kong (second) and King Dedede (first) whom are both Nintendo characters. This means that Geno is in the leading spot for 3rd party characters on Sakurais poll and is more likely to get in than any other 3rd party character.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
the problem is your looking at the japanese poll like it is accurate evidence. yeah geno scored high.
they greatly influenced sales at the time of there reign. they werent included because of sum japanese poll that was made based on popularity. it was respect for the characterin that specific game.
i dont think super mario rpg was that great to add geno into brawl where it will fight against giants like samus and zelda. especially when geno is made by square-enix.

Earthbound is a Cult Classic, just like Mario RPG though...

Mario RPG was popular, and is still...

I think Geno is deserving to have gained great popularity from just being in 1 game...if he was that memerable...

Especially with Geno Whirl...killing Exor in 1 hit...he was annoying before I learned that...

Hong

The Strongest
Like I said many times, there are many other things I gauged his popularity from in earlier posts.
Ice Climbers wasn't respected or popular. It was just the best fit for a duo and a surprise.

And in terms of Super Mario RPG, heck, the Mario universe, Geno is highly respected and acknowledged, even if he only had two games. (More than the Ice Climbers.)

Geno is actually roughly the size of Mario after the star agent entered the doll. Unless you mean giant as in position in the gaming world, but that would only contradict yourself.

Edit - I would also like to mention that Earthbound's cult following was too late. It has one of the biggest and most devoted fanbased for an RPG ever (http://starmen.net/), but Earthbound itself didn't sell well enough in the US to get MOTHER 3. Most of the fans appeared many, many years later. Some fueled by Ness' presence in SSB64. :/

Chrisiscool

Smash Apprentice
Geno is in third place on Sakurais Polls right next to Diddy Kong (second) and King Dedede (first) whom are both Nintendo characters. This means that Geno is in the leading spot for 3rd party characters on Sakurais poll and is more likely to get in than any other 3rd party character.
so japanese people love smrpg wow
the poll isnt evidence
geno wont make it in.

Geno =an asain pinocchio with magic
how lame
sorry sonic had tv shows
he is on the top 20 list of the greatest games of all time.
check wiki if you dont believe me.
mega mans on that list too.

sorry geno fans. but geno wont make it in no matter how long you pray

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
the poll isnt evidence
geno wont make it in.

how lame
sorry sonic had tv shows

Yet you have no real evidence other than your opinion you don't like him...for some reason...

Cronius

Smash Apprentice
Wouldn't it be awesome if you could use Geno's Geno Whirl like it was in SMRPG, and if you timed it correctly, it would add like 50%, but have no knockback? I think that would be cool, you know, since he's in Brawl and everything.

Sinn

Smash Lord
Chris, your reasons for why Geno won't be in Brawl aren't even reasons. Would you like to know why? Because you don't know what will make Sakurai pick one character over another. All of your reasons are your opinions of why he wouldn't be in Brawl, not Sakurai's, which means they essentially count for nothing.

Side note, I'm a proud EarthBound fan since they first announced it in Nintendo Power some...thirteen years ago? I think? GOD that was a long time ago...

Cronius

Smash Apprentice
the poll isnt evidence
geno wont make it in.

how lame
sorry sonic had tv shows

What Top 20 list? There are hundreds of "Best Game of All Time" list. IGN's top 100 list actually has SSBM above Sonic, which is somewhere up in the 70's. And Megaman doesn't even rank on the list. Neither does SMRPG, for that matter. However, Chrono Trigger, my favorite game, is ranked at 14, the best of the RPG's. Does that mean Crono and the gang will be in it? I sure as hell hope so, but probably not.

Edit: Oh, you said best-selling. That doesn't count for anything. You know how many people have experienced and beaten SMRPG on my cartridge alone? About 20. That's 20 people who played it without buying it. Actually, the first time I played it was because I rented it. I ended up buying it, even after beating it, just because it was a great game. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial for the Atari 2600 is on that list. That was voted the absolute worst game ever for any console. But look at it's sales!! It must have been good, right?

Pitbull

Smash Cadet
the poll isnt evidence
geno wont make it in.

how lame
sorry sonic had tv shows

What's your problem man? Geno is a great character and would have a great moveset if he were in Brawl. Also, he is more than popular enough to make it in Brawl. Have you ever even played Mario RPG? If you did you would have realized what a cool character he really is.

Also, stop getting Wikipedia to solve all your problems!

Hong

The Strongest
Actually, Wikipedia ironically just digs his grave even further. Look at my post for example. :p

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
i quit good night geno isnt in brawl
you will all relize this one day and think how stupid you were for believing.

good night ttyl

this proves my point that i do have evidense. geno never made this list. so he wont be playable. if a third party is in it will be one of them =
notice square enix ... final fantasy. sorry geno fans

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=12349
SO your just going to dig out any list that doesn't have Super Mario RPG in it...

of course it's not on that list, it's not a franchise....if anything it would be under the "MARIO" section of that poll

Hong

The Strongest
i quit good night geno isnt in brawl
you will all relize this one day and think how stupid you were for believing.

good night ttyl

this proves my point that i do have evidense. geno never made this list. so he wont be playable. if a third party is in it will be one of them =
notice square enix ... final fantasy. sorry geno fans

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=12349
Lol? Half of the characters who appear in Brawl would be instantly out by your logic. That and this refers to series, not single games.

I like how after I completed pwned you, you say I'm wrong for no reason and leave.
Like a 4 year old child plugging their ears and going "LALALA!"

The polls reflect who people WANT in the game. People want Geno in the game more than MegaMan and that's a fact no matter how much you keep trying to bash us or Geno.

Top Bottom