• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Geno Thread

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Conclusion: Popularity is one thing, but relevance to a series is another, and you guys are overlooking that. Even though nobody knew Ice Climbers, they were unique and were the stars of their own games. Double check it if you like, every single character that has been revealed so far has had a key role in their game series, something that Geno is lacking.

I'm not trying to bash you guys, I'm just saying that popularity alone isn't everything.
And the reason I even started posting here is because someone actually dare to state as fact that everyone who has played Mario RPG likes Geno. And I just had to correct him, which is all I tried to do in my first post.

Anyway, I hope for you guys that I'm wrong, and that his popularity really does the trick. But at least be prepared for disappointment, because Geno is really an obscure character that hardly anyone knows.... and no, don't bring in the Ice Climber/Game & Watch argument, because honestly, those two are far more recognizable as Nintendo characters. I'm pretty sure that lots and lots of people knew Game & Watch already, they just never made the link to Nintendo. Besides, I doubt that he even had a name before his inclusion in Melee.

Long story short... main character of one single game = chance like Ice Climbers.
Side character in a single game = minimal chances, probably lower than Game & Watch.

- If they're basing their character choices on the game industry / nintendo gamers, Geno's chances are minimal.

- If they're basing their character choices on the Smash series fanbase... Geno has a decent chance.

I'm afraid for you guys they're going with the first option. :\
True to some point, except that popularity alone CAN get you in. Jigglypuff had close to no importance in the game series. Yes I know Jigglypuff is much more popular than Geno, but Geno does have a large "for brawl" fanbase as shown in the polls.

Anyways, I've recently learned how to make .gif animations. This is my first succesful animation.:)

GenoX

Smash Rookie
Yes, but a chance for A mario rpg/ final fantasy crossover. If this is confirmed in March nintnedo power, They stated thAT they were revealing a rpg so hush hush, This may be more than a port

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Yes, but a chance for A mario rpg/ final fantasy crossover. If this is confirmed in March nintnedo power, They stated thAT they were revealing a rpg so hush hush, This may be more than a port
And Geno in brawl would be a great way to advertise.;)

antimatter

Smash Lord
um, i just read an oldish nintendo power, and it may be something else. it is mentioned in the issue with phantom hourglass on the cover, on a page in the news section. they mention something called "soma ___" dont remember exactly what it was called.

pcamtz

Smash Apprentice
W00t, now I feel like Geno is in Brawl for sure!

When I first read the smrpg legacy thing, my first thought was "Of course! they know that Geno will have many fans so they want to make some money out of it!!"

I feel SO confident of it right now!

Shadowbolt

Smash Ace
Relax, relax.

There's no proof of what it is just yet.

Personally, I think that looks a whole lot more like a Munchlax trophy.

pcamtz

Smash Apprentice
It doesn't strike me as Geno, it MIGHT be, but I seriously think it would only increase his chances. Another thought is this: IT'S A DEMO, as far as pokeballs and assist throphies goes, we hadn't seen any new revelations, so why put a throphy we haven't seen on a demo?

And another thought: We don't know if every character would have other throphy versions, maybe all characters have other versions as throphies

And yet another (yes, another) thought: The first time I looked at it I saw some purple parts and some white parts. The I saw orange bits. All I'm saying is that it's a short amount of time to really look at it, we really can't tell (besides, the animation of the throphy popping out and taking it might have some color that confuses)

All I'm saying is this: It MIGHT or MIGHT NOT be, and IF it is, it might HELP or HURT his chances. I'm going for help :mrgreen:

(I know, maybe this is too hopeful, it's just that the smrpglegacy announce hyped me up :D )

Hoboman725

Smash Journeyman
haha, speculation on like 6 pixels of color from Japan.

my first impression was that it was a penguin, I don't think it's him and if it is it may hurt his chances a bit...but then again rob has been shown on the dojo as an npc and people still believe in him...

Aryman

Smash Master
3DS FC
1934-0665-4529
Speculation over a few pixels of blue... Just wait 3 more days, for crying out loud.

And shame on Brawlcentral for making a big deal out of it.

Rick88

Smash Journeyman
At first I thought I saw the top of his hat, but if you freeze it at 1:58 and enlarge the vid, you could see it's either Munchlax or Puplip I don't know but you could see a mouth too, I can't tell, **** glasses >_>.

hello_kitty

Smash Journeyman
At first I thought I saw the top of his hat, but if you freeze it at 1:58 and enlarge the vid, you could see it's either Munchlax or Puplip I don't know but you could see a mouth too, I can't tell, **** glasses >_>.
Geno has a mouth too.

Sonic-Fan

Smash Journeyman
I'm sorry if i offend anyone with this comment but i am just curious.

Why do you guys like this guy? I don't see any cool qualities in him (but that isn't really fair, some people might like how he looks)

...In other words, why do you guys want Geno in Brawl?

D

Deleted member

Geno has a mouth too.
He's a doll. His mouth is the size of a ventriloquist dummy.
Munchlax on the other hand...

Sonic-Fan said:
I'm sorry if i offend anyone with this comment but i am just curious.

Why do you guys like this guy? I don't see any cool qualities in him (but that isn't really fair, some people might like how he looks)

...In other words, why do you guys want Geno in Brawl?
Now, this is coming from your friendly neighborhood Foz but, I love memories. During the summer of '06 I saw a video called "Mario RPG Rawest Forest" created by Kirbopher15 on Newgrounds. I'm like "Holy sh*t, I loved this game when I was a kid.". So, I con the ROM for it. Before I even reached Geno, I have always thought of him as the perfect AT, but once I got longer into the game, I'm like: "Wow. Geno is epic. I want him in Brawl." From there, I made a long long journey here and to find that Geno has the highest chances out of any other character excluding Dedede. I learned a lot from this thread, Fatmanonice, McFox, and a lot of other Geno supporters that have been around longer than I have.

That is why I, Foz, want Geno in Brawl. As much as I'd love to relive my childhood, I can't. So, the next best thing is Brawl.

DarkSpidey13

Smash Ace
why is this even in discussion? wouldn't the person who grabbed the trophy in the first place have said something about it if it was Geno?

also, Nintendo would not bother getting the rights for Geno just to use him as a trophy. and the "classic Geno" argument doesn't hold water anyway because classic trophies are rewards for beating Classic Mode.

Senor Crouch

Smash Journeyman
At first I thought it was a Geno trophy, but I just went back to the "GENO Trophy spotted??" thread in the General Brawl Discussion and now it looks a lot like one of the ice climbers. It looks like he is facing left on the screen. I can also see some traits of Kamek.

Well just 4 more days!

hello_kitty

Smash Journeyman
lol Yeah but it's not THAT big, if you pause the screen at 1:58 you can the see the mouth opening wide. All I know is that it's either Munchlax or Puplip.
:laugh: it's not either of those, it' probably something else; oh I see now **** mouth.

iluvnintendo1983

Smash Journeyman
also, Nintendo would not bother getting the rights for Geno just to use him as a trophy. and the "classic Geno" argument doesn't hold water anyway because classic trophies are rewards for beating Classic Mode.
They bothered to get the rights for him so he could have a 5 second cameo in Mario & Luigi: Super Star Saga. That's why I'm worried they might get the rights for him just to give him a very small role here too. :(

Radzilla

Smash Rookie
I think anyone that has played through Super Mario RPG will want Geno is this game. Because, I'm one of these, I would be extremely surprised and delighted by seeing him on the roster.

DarkSpidey13

Smash Ace
They bothered to get the rights for him so he could have a 5 second cameo in Mario & Luigi: Super Star Saga. That's why I'm worried they might get the rights for him just to give him a very small role here too. :(
Geno's creator was the producer of Superstar Saga. he didn't have to go very far to get the rights...

Rick88

Smash Journeyman
The thing is Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga was helped made by Alphadream, which happens to be where Geno's creators (who back then worked for Squaresoft) work in. So it wasn't hard to get Geno in as a Cameo.

SSBB on the other hand is not being made by those guys, so it wouldn't be as easy to get Geno's rights for the game, hence why they wouldn 't go through the trouble make him into a mere trophy, or an AT at that.

pcamtz

Smash Apprentice
It seems to me that there has been confirmed SMRPG representation in Brawl. In the Chronicles part of the update it says that to unlock each game you need to find something that relates to that game. So if you have to unlock SMRPG there are at least throphies/stickers of the game!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Saw the thing on Brawl Central and to me it looks like Piplup. Also, Geno doesn't strike me as a character whose trophy would be right out in the open and would probably need to be unlocked. Also, if that was Geno trophy's, there's more likely of a chance that it wouldn't look exactly like his original character design because of a strong probability that he'd be an AT and, from what we've seen, nearly all the ATs have updated looks that are comparable to the characters that are actually playable.

*add in* Three days until the universe collapses upon itself. I'm going to Paris this weekend so hopefully I'll have a lot to keep my mind occupied if Brawl's roster does end up being completely God awful.

*yet another add in*

Here's what Sakurai says in the 5th part of Iwata asks:

"To fans like these, seeing an individual character in another game, even if they don’t move, makes them really happy."

If he used this excuse to keep Ridley, Krystal, and Geno from becoming playable, I'm going to help Geno blow up Japan...

Weltunter

Smash Journeyman
Here's what Sakurai says in the 5th part of Iwata asks:

"To fans like these, seeing an individual character in another game, even if they don’t move, makes them really happy."

If he used this excuse to keep Ridley, Krystal, and Geno from becoming playable, I'm going to help Geno blow up Japan...
With sheer awesomeness!

Top Bottom