• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Geno Thread

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well, now with the Coro Coro Geno AT rumor being false...

I say Geno's evidence (Though a bit of it rumors and stuff)

I'm still convinced he's a character until proven otherwise.

I still think that one fan art of him, the "Kingdom Hearts" Geno is the best interpretation of how he should look in Brawl.

Yes, an keep it on topic from now on.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I dont know psycho, i like geno's normal animation
That would look off resized to actually fit how big he is compared to Mario...At least I think it would.

Of course this is all opinion, but I think Geno needs a Pit-like Makeover for Brawl...Build up his character to fit into future games

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Personally, I think people are overrating his fan base. I'm sure plenty of people are fans, but it's nothing epic.
What's your point? Of course it's not as big as the Big name characters, Geno is more obscure. That's not the only thing going for him.

What's your point? Of course it's not as big as the Big name characters, Geno is more obscure. That's not the only thing going for him.
I'm not comparing him to big-names, I'm comparing him as an "All Star". SMRPG is a fine game, but I still stand by my position that Geno comes up for the reason that the fanbase is more outspoken than the few people who dislike him.

D

Deleted member

Dang, I had a really good feeling about this mornings update. I got so baked outa my mind just to see Geno on that very DOJO site. Yes, pot helps keep me up. I had to stay up 'til 2 am.

I am really eager to see what his appearance will be. Like, he should look like tht image Jesterbox drew. Now, that was a mind blowing drawing.

DarkVision

Smash Journeyman
I'm not comparing him to big-names, I'm comparing him as an "All Star". SMRPG is a fine game, but I still stand by my position that Geno comes up for the reason that the fanbase is more outspoken than the few people who dislike him.
I consider Mario RPG an All Star Game and Geno an All-star character. Maybe a bit underrated because it wasn't known as much and wasn't releashed world-wide (Which will change with VC)... I don't know exactly what definition YOU use to describe "All-star" but I'd say he fits the title perfectly as an important age of Nintendo history

Important? Come on. He appeared in one game more than a decade ago, and had a single, minor cameo. He was never used for any serious role since. Geno could be called retro only because he's old, but no retro character has gotten in and not been the star of the game (Ice Climbers, Game & Watch, Pit).

Rick88

Smash Journeyman
Important? Come on. He appeared in one game more than a decade ago, and had a single, minor cameo. He was never used for any serious role since. Geno could be called retro only because he's old, but no retro character has gotten in and not been the star of the game (Ice Climbers, Game & Watch, Pit).
Makes me wonder how characters like Luigi, Falco, and Pichu got into smash.

DarkVision

Smash Journeyman
Yes, Mario RPG was an important even in Nintendo history but was underrated at the time due to a couple other games (Chrono Trigger) that appeared at the same time.

It did have major influence on MANY future games though...

Just because something happened in the past, doesn't mean it's not important.

And I don't see the big thing on when it happened that matters in the first place

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
What the hell? Do you go to every thread, slander the characters u don't like,
and see yourself as all knowing??
Geno for Brawl!!

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Actually, Nana wasn't even part of the story, she was just a color swap for player two. And, until Melee, there was no singular "Mr. Game and Watch" character.

AmericanGTS

Smash Apprentice
You're completely missing the point.

Square Enix didn't create direct sequels to their games until recently. Remember, every Square Enix game was "one shot". You see them, you love them, and then they retired. At least thats the way it used to be.

Geno is Square Enix's Mario character! If I'm not mistaken, that makes him the first Mario character that wasn't developed by Nintendo! That is certainly a part of history!

DynamiteSpoony

Smash Journeyman
A large, dark stormy castle with lots of bats.
There's only been 2 Smash games so far, so we don't know if being the star of their own game matters or not. Falco does kind of beg to differ, though. And the appearance of the Ice Climbers shows that Sakurai will sometimes just choose someone just because he likes them, regardless of obscurity.

Mr. Alcohol

Smash Apprentice
Makes me wonder how characters like Luigi, Falco, and Pichu got into smash.
Luigi, Falco, and Pichu have been in recent games (at least by Melee standards--Pichu notwithstanding). There's nothing saying sidekicks can't get into Brawl, but Geno isn't exactly recent, OR the star of his game.

AmericanGTS

Smash Apprentice
Luigi, Falco, and Pichu have been in recent games (at least by Melee standards--Pichu notwithstanding). There's nothing saying sidekicks can't get into Brawl, but Geno isn't exactly recent, OR the star of his game.
But Square Enix developed the game, I mean, obviously Geno wouldn't be but that isn't the point...

DynamiteSpoony

Smash Journeyman
You do have a point, but I have to point out your contradiction....

Still, it doesn't really matter. If the fans like a character and Sakurai likes him/her too AND they fall under the criteria of being a candidate for Brawl, they stand a good chance.

Mr. Alcohol

Smash Apprentice
You do have a point, but I have to point out your contradiction....

Still, it doesn't really matter. If the fans like a character and Sakurai likes him/her too AND they fall under the criteria of being a candidate for Brawl, they stand a good chance.
The part about not being the star of his game was warned about by my statement about sidekicks in Brawl. Lemme rephrase:

Geno isn't exactly recent, OR the star of his game. However, there's nothing that really says sidekicks can't get into Brawl.

AmericanGTS

Smash Apprentice
Pichu and Jigglypuff are certainly "sidekicks" who don't play one single vital role to their games and yet they're important enough to be labeled as "All-Stars".

How is Geno any less deserving?! At least he is important and vital to the plot of the game he plays a major role in!

Rick88

Smash Journeyman
Being that Geno was in an RPG game, he was actually more of what I like to call a "secondary main character", which actually goes for all characters in any RPG game. Anyways, he also claimed Geno played a minor role, which is a very false claim considering this was more Geno's story than Mario. It doesn't matter how recent each of those characters were, his main argument stated that no supporting characters could get into Smash, yet as stated before, I see characters like Luigi, Jugglypuff, and Falco in smash.

DynamiteSpoony

Smash Journeyman
The part about not being the star of his game was warned about by my statement about sidekicks in Brawl. Lemme rephrase:

Geno isn't exactly recent, OR the star of his game. However, there's nothing that really says sidekicks can't get into Brawl.
Oooh. Okay. Thanks for correcting me.

And to keep it on topic....Geno for Brawl! :D

Mr. Alcohol

Smash Apprentice
Being that Geno was in an RPG game, he was actually more of what I like to call a "secondary main character", which actually goes for all characters in any RPG game. Anyways, he also claimed Geno played a minor role, which is a very false claim considering this was more Geno's story than Mario. It doesn't matter how recent each of those characters were, his main argument stated that no supporting characters could get into Smash, yet as stated before, I see characters like Luigi, Jugglypuff, and Falco in smash.
How is SMRPG more about Geno than Mario? That statement is completey false. I can't believe you guys still believe this.

But the point is that Geno is neither recent nor the star of his game, so you can't pull out both the sidekick argument AND the non-recent game argument. It just doesn't work with Geno. Example:

Pit, IC's, and Game 'n Watch haven't been in any recent games by a long shot (barring Melee / Brawl). However, their games were Nintendo classics, and were brought back for nostalgia.

Luigi, Falco, Jiggs and Pichu weren't the stars of their games, but they have been in recent games, and arguably were either pretty rememberable, or played a semi-significant part in their games.

Geno has two things going against him here. He hasn't been in any recent games, and he wasn't the headlining star of his game. Mario was. End of story.

AmericanGTS

Smash Apprentice
How is SMRPG more about Geno than Mario? That statement is completey false. I can't believe you guys still believe this.

But the point is that Geno is neither recent nor the star of his game, so you can't pull out both the sidekick argument AND the non-recent game argument. It just doesn't work with Geno. Example:

Pit, IC's, and Game 'n Watch haven't been in any recent games by a long shot (barring Melee / Brawl). However, their games were Nintendo classics, and were brought back for nostalgia.

Luigi, Falco, Jiggs and Pichu weren't the stars of their games, but they have been in recent games, and arguably were either pretty rememberable, or played a semi-significant part in their games.

Geno has two things going against him here. He hasn't been in any recent games, and he wasn't the headlining star of his game. Mario was. End of story.
Well let me ask you this.. did Geno exist prior to Super Mario RPG?

If he was created for Super Mario RPG, there should be a red flag that he was indeed important enough to create and have a rather large role in the game. He isn't like Frogfucious (sp) or the Chancellor. He helps Mario from the time he joins the party until the end of the game. He is vital to repairing the Star Road. Also keep in mind that Smithy is Geno's foil. Geno is as important if not MORE important than Smithy and Smithy is the main antagonist.

Whats wrong with Geno being a popular character anyways? Isn't that enough for you? Sheesh...

DynamiteSpoony

Smash Journeyman

Good points overall, just a few things...

It doesn't matter how important Geno was in SMRPG. He was one of the 5 main characters, and that's good enough to save him from secondary character status. But still, that makes no difference. If he's liked and requested enough, he has a decent shot.

And Ice Climbers wasn't an NES classis. Sakurai chose them because he liked the game Ice Climber. This shows that really, at the end of the day, Sakurai'll choose who he wants and AT who he doesn't. Saki, Lyn, and Samurai Goroh are proof of this. And things are looking pretty good for Geno as far as holding Sakurai's interest...

AmericanGTS

Smash Apprentice
By the way, I highly doubt Mario and his friends could have repaired the Star Road without Geno's help. Essentially the plot of the game would have been absolutely pointless without Geno.

Edited for wording.

DynamiteSpoony

Smash Journeyman
Could the game have been beaten without Frogfucius? Or Gaz?
What people don't get is that it really doesn't matter whether Geno was THE most important character in the game or not. The truth is he appears consistantly for the vast majority of the game, he's vital to the plot, and he's playable. But the ONLY thing that makes a difference and contributes to his chances to be in Brawl is that he's SMRPG's most recognizable unique character. THAT'S IT!

*huff huff*

AmericanGTS

Smash Apprentice
What people don't get is that it really doesn't matter whether Geno was THE most important character in the game or not. The truth is he appears consistantly for the vast majority of the game, he's vital to the plot, and he's playable. But the ONLY thing that makes a difference and contributes to his chances to be in Brawl is that he's SMRPG's most recognizable unique character. THAT'S IT!

*huff huff*
Well I don't think that its the ONLY thing, but a good reason why..

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord

*huff huff*

I wanna put my ***** in this post.

I don't feel like going back a few pages, can someone fill me in on Geno AT rumor from CoroCoro, that apparantly was false?

Mr. Alcohol

Smash Apprentice
Why is Bomberman smoking a cigar? Anyways, contacting Square just to make him an assist trophy would be a complete waste of time for Nintendo. There's other factors too that highly suggest that the current situation is either that Geno will be playable or he won't show up at all.
The cigar thing is kind of a running gag from the Bomberman thread. Go look at the first post for more.

And yeah, that pic was mainly just a joke. Not meant to be serious or anything. RDK thought it would be funny to freak Looooni out by saying that Coro Coro Comics confirmed Geno as an AT, so when Looooni asked him for the link, he posted the pic. :p

DarkVision

Smash Journeyman
I wanna put my ***** in this post.

I don't feel like going back a few pages, can someone fill me in on Geno AT rumor from CoroCoro, that apparantly was false?
Really, the AT Rumor was RDK saying he had proof Geno was ending up as an AT prooved by Coro Coro, his "proof" was: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i71/zack431/GenoAssistTrophy.jpg

I really don't think we have to worry about that, evidence (Well, from what I can see) is pointing to his inclusion...and I highly doubt he will be included as anything but a PC

Top Bottom