• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Geno Thread

DynamiteSpoony

Smash Journeyman
A large, dark stormy castle with lots of bats.
Listen, as I've said, a character's importance can be debated to the ends of the earth, you can play as Wario for all of Super Mario 64 DS, but Mario ends up beating Bowser. Who's game is it? Mario's! Why? because his name's in the title! Is Wario the main character in WarioWare? Yes! Why? Not because he's in the hardest level, but because it's his game. Whenm the game is theirs and you play asthem then it's them who's the most important character, Geno is nothing more than a secondary character with a vested interest in the plot.

Like Robin, who had a vendetta with Two Face, he's still nothing more than sidekick, even if he went to become Nightwing.

'Nuff said.
I was just making a point for those who wanted it. I really don't care about his importance in SMRPG, because nothing's stopping sidekicks from being in the game. They didn't stop Falco.

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
Listen, as I've said, a character's importance can be debated to the ends of the earth, you can play as Wario for all of Super Mario 64 DS, but Mario ends up beating Bowser. Who's game is it? Mario's! Why? because his name's in the title! Is Wario the main character in WarioWare? Yes! Why? Not because he's in the hardest level, but because it's his game. Whenm the game is theirs and you play asthem then it's them who's the most important character, Geno is nothing more than a secondary character with a vested interest in the plot.

Like Robin, who had a vendetta with Two Face, he's still nothing more than sidekick, even if he went to become Nightwing.

'Nuff said.
Well they were'nt going to call the game Super Geno RPG. Yes, it is Mario's game, but we're saying Geno had the biggest part in the plot and storyline.

Really, anyone could debate who's games who's but if it has MARIO's name in the title and you play mostly as MARIO than MARIO is the main character.
Using that dumb logic, I guess you can say Link's Hookshot is the main character because you need it to complete the game.

Well, you should understand that I'm not trying to undercut people, just give the facts, seeing as it appears that no one is using real facts to back up their claims. Sure if you say that Sakurai is interested in Geno and say that he's got a huge fanbase and say that he's 2nd party then yeah, a lot of people are going to believe you, but when you can't use facts, which I have been able to do, you'll be shown that you really don't have enough evidence to make a good case. This stuff isn't my belief, it's just an objective conclusion dawn from fact./quote]

Don't lie, it is your belief. We have presented FACTS all over this thread and it is always brushed off as nothing important to anti-Geno supporters. Sakurai's interest? not important. Geno's big part in Mario RPG? Not important because it doesn't have his name in the title? His huge fanbase and petition send into Nintendo? Not important Because I never heard of him until 6 months ago.

We've shown the legal issues of everything with his party, we've shown the journal entries. Yet still, we're all just some random 10 people that like Geno and he's just some nobody in some bad selling game, correct?

Mr. Alcohol

Smash Apprentice
They didn't stop Falco.
Umm, Falco's been in all of the recent Starfox games. Has Geno been in any of the recent Mario games?

And before you bring up that game in which he had a cameo in, has Geno played a semi-important part in any of the recent Mario games?

Edit: How can you guys honestly not think that Mario was the main character of SMRPG? To think that he wasn't the main character is borderline idiocy.

koopa cape located at the end of rainbow road
Mario and Mallow accompanied Geno on His journey... not the other way around. This was already said, and yet you ignore it. Have you even played the game?
this is straight up opinion. I personally thin kthat the title character is in fact the main character of the game. That is my OPINION. Geno fans think that he is the main character of mario rpg that is their OPINION. So stop saying it like it is a irefutible (that definetly isnt spelled right) truth.

jimmysilverrims

Smash Ace
Attatched to a bungie cord, reppelling into Ninten
Midna IS more important than Link AND Zelda in TP. The whole game is about her. She's got the most actual character development, and it's almost entirely about her world.
Yes, finally! Someone who agrees with me on that one! I've been telling people that all the time!

Talking about Fludd being the main character is silly, he didn't add anything to the plot. Where was his character development. The screw attack was not a character in metroid with character development, and neither was fludd in Sunshine.
FLUDD had a character death, possibly the first Mario character death ever. (Alibeit an immediate revival) and became Mario's companion, definitely an equivalent to Geno.

And E Gadd had no character development either, nor did he do anything actively other than give you the apparatus. Final Fantasy I is not the King of Corneria's game because he had the bridge fixed for you.

You completely MISSED my point. Mario is NOT the Main character because you play as him. I gave you actual examples where you PLAY the game as a character who isn't the main one. Your counter arguments were extremely off the mark. Please reread what I wrote.
I read what you wrote the first time, and it is Mario's game, with Geno's plot interrupting it. In fact, Mario is the main character in that game and Geno is definitely a secondary (if not teritary) character. In KOTOR The assasin droid tells you
that you're really Darth Revan
, however he is merely a secondary character. Just because Geno introduces Mario to the bigger picture and aids him along the way he does not suddenly become the main character.

jimmysilverrims

Smash Ace
Attatched to a bungie cord, reppelling into Ninten
Oops, darn edit function! Sorry for the double post!

Umm, Falco's been in all of the recent Starfox games. Has Geno been in any of the recent Mario games?

And before you bring up that game in which he had a cameo in, has Geno played a semi-important part in any of the recent Mario games?

Edit: How can you guys honestly not think that Mario was the main character of SMRPG? To think that he wasn't the main character is borderline idiocy.
Hooray for common sense!

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
sneaking low to the ground, ready to pounce
this is straight up opinion. I personally thin kthat the title character is in fact the main character of the game. That is my OPINION. Geno fans think that he is the main character of mario rpg that is their OPINION. So stop saying it like it is a irefutible (that definetly isnt spelled right) truth.
Opinion? <_< Mario's quest was to save the Princess.

Geno's quest was to repair the star road and to fix the way wishes work.

Did the game end when you saved the Princess? <_< No. Mario's quest ended long before Geno's did. Mario and Mallow and Peach and Bowser accompanied Geno on his quest. That's fact not opinion.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Alright, makes sense, I mean a lot of games have made a lot of sales, however there are tons and tons of other elligible characters that are waaay more popular with gigantic fanbases, what makes Geno so special?

Thanks for the heads up, looks like I made a faux pas. :chuckle:

'Nuff said.
....Number two on the poll's....
.....Sakurai has mentioned the character as many times as his creation over characters like Claus Olimar Megaman Krystal Ike And so on with 5 Mentions in the journal and saying he's interesting.....
Now then tell me what makes those "Other" Characters you imply so special to that :laugh: ? Just wondering here :p.
Oh and what's the current debate on geno ? Are we still debating his chances O.O ?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm still trying to figure out...

why again does it matter who the main character is? Especially when Mario is already in Smash?

Geno is a main character in the least

Mr. Alcohol

Smash Apprentice
Yikes, you guys sure to jump to post whenever someone challenges your character. There's been about 10 posts since Jimmy made his.

10CHARIXARDS

Opinion? <_< Mario's quest was to save the Princess.

Geno's quest was to repair the star road and to fix the way wishes work.

Did the game end when you saved the Princess? <_< No. Mario's quest ended long before Geno's did. Mario and Mallow and Peach and Bowser accompanied Geno on his quest. That's fact not opinion.
way to completly ignore the rest of my post, yet again you only look at what can benifit your argument, not the whole thing. Like for example you keeo bringing up the poll. Wasn't james bond on the poll? I dont think that this poll has as much of a impact as you make it out to have.

btw 400th post woot!!!

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord

That is NOT opinion. It's fact. since I can obviously tell you've never played the game, let me tell you what happened:

Mario must save Peach from Bowser.
Mario meets Mallow, and helps him get his coin back from a theif.
Mallow accompanies Mario in helping Peach and they find a Star Piece.
Geno is seen, a scene shows how he comes to life, and at first he is mysterious, but 10 miutes later, he reveals his story to Mario and Mallow, and they agree to help him.

From that point, Finding Peach and Restoring the Star Road/Stopping Exor and Smithy are the 2 conflicting plots.

The trio meet up with Bowser, who joins to get his castle back, with their help.
They save Peach.

Peach Decides to sneak out of the Mushroom Kingdom and help recover the Star Pieces.
Bowser agrees to help recover the pieces because it also involves him getting his catle back, since Exor is in it.
Mario and Mallow agree to come along because it's the right thing to do.

So you see, once Peach is rescued about 1/3 of the way through the game, Everyone is helping GENO for the rest of the game as the only story going on.

Yikes, you guys sure to jump to post whenever someone challenges your character. There's been about 10 posts since Jimmy made his.
And it's the other way around also. It's a character thread, obviously both sides are going to debate back and forth on a questionable character.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
way to completly ignore the rest of my post, yet again you only look at what can benifit your argument, not the whole thing. Like for example you keeo bringing up the poll. Wasn't james bond on the poll? I dont think that this poll has as much of a impact as you make it out to have.

btw 400th post woot!!!
Well i'm nolt to sure about the brawl poll's but on the melee ones they got the "Proxy mine" From goldeneye or w/e Design or w/e in melee , Also geno ranked 2ND In the first party selection :p , Also keep in mind that was when nintendo owned rare but then....They left , Oh and also sakurai listens to people more this time due to the fact that he had more time to make Brawl.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
a thought occured, if mario rpg is so great and popular how com there hasnt been a remake yet. All other popular games (such as ic, kid icarus, super mario bros., hell even donkey kong country) from nes and snes have been remade in some form or another, either on gb or on vc.
Super Mario RPG is the MOST requested game for the VC...

It's coming out by the end of the year...

ALSO, rumor has it, SQUARE might be considering a sequel

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Eww....loads of these reasons are no good. And it doesn't really answer my question. o_o

(I do agree though that he'd show up as playable or not at all. Going through the trouble to make him a AT seems like a waste)

Anyways~

1. Doesn't really matter unless we know how Sakurai responds.

Considering how he's already told us in both the Deoxyes and Saki updates that he turned down both of these heavily requested characters for playable spots, it adds even more proof to how it reflects his and his staff's interests.

2. Source for this? And if its so requested, why isn't it out yet? And even if it is, we already have three characters from it.

For the same exact reason that reason that neither Earthbound or Kirby Super Star is out yet...

3. Again, we already have three characters from SMRPG. And does this guy have any say in Brawl at all?

Correction, we have three characters (well, pretty much four) that represent the entire franchise. Iwata (NoJ's current President) basically described Sakurai as a man that was excellent at connecting people. Melee had more then a 100 people that worked on it and probably only 25% actually played large roles in the development process itself. If you go through the credits, you'll notice dozens of directors and producers from a multitude of games that meerly offered suggestions when it came to certan franchises, items, characters, etc. With this said, a vast majority of these people really didn't have that much of a say in Brawl but Sakurai contacted and used them none-the-less.

4. Everyone can have a moveset really, so this is moot. Heck, it's not even a pro, it's more of a requirment that all the characters have to meet for consideration.

Not really because would you rather have a character that offers nothing to work with or a lot? From a developers point of view, I'd easily choose the former. Case in point: who would you rather make a moveset for? Geno or Epona the horse? :laugh:

5. Like loads of other characters. And if he didn't make it in back then, what's changed now?

It shows that, despite all the years that have gone by, people still remember and want Geno. He wasn't meerly a fad character and didn't disappear off the radar despite not being playable in more then 10 years. Keep in mind that probably close to 40 Mario games have been re/released in that time span and yet some people's hearts continue to stay with a game they consider a classic. Personally, I think that speaks volumes about the character.

6. And because of this, he has to complete with much more worthy Mario characters, who have done a lot more than him, and have made more apperances. This isn't a pro what so ever.

Daisy, Petey Pirhanna, and Toad have been disconfirmed. Waluigi's chances are significantly low for a multitude of reasons but most importantly how Wario represents his own franchise and isn't labelled a Mario character. Bowser Jr's chances aren't that great for a multitude of reasons including how the character lack indepedence, didn't appear in Sakurai's journal, Sakurai paying more attention to major villians in playable roles, Bowser depicted as a beast rather then a goofy father figure, Pichu's deconfirmation showing that Sakurai isn't interested in adding miniature versions of already playable characters (Young Link is exempted from this because he stars in about 6 of his own games), etc. Paper Mario wasn't in the journal either and runs into many of the same identity problems that Dr. Mario did. (Granted, he could still become playable but with a decent amount of evidence showing that Dr. Mario and Pichu have gotten the boot, it shows that Sakurai really isn't that interested in adding a large number of "alter egos" this time around.) Paper Mario's chances depend entirelly on Paper Mario's chances and if he did make it, what would determine who was the most important of them all? Everyone who I didn't mention's chances are even lower for becoming playable. With this said, Geno's competition is no where as tough as you depict it to be.

7. How so? He's a Square character. Heck, if you get Square to agree to send in a character, then why not someone that people actually care about? That's the point of a third party character.

No matter how you slice it, Geno's a Mario character and thus completely useless to Square Enix unless they use him in the context of a Mario game or at least a game that involves Mario characters. Clearly, this isn't the case for other third party characters like Sonic or Megaman. As I mentioned in a post a long time ago, Square Enix really doesn't have anyone that could effectively represent the entire company as a whole because their really is no leading mascot unlike in the case of Sega or Capcom. Also, the question that should be asked here is what Sakurai cares about (remember what I already said about Deoxyes and Saki?) and evidence shows that he and his staff have a decent amount of interest in Geno.

8. One, all of the partners from PM1 and 2 have shown up at least twice. Two, Geno's second apperance wasn't a "role" really at all. Three, it's "Mario" RPG. We have Mario. We also have Bowser and Peach, who are both characters who showed up in all of the PM and M&L games. (Did I forget to mention Luigi is also likely?)

1. In a picture in Super Paper Mario... 2. At least Geno is doing something unlike the characters I forementioned. 3. This arguement was been used to death... Heck, if you want to go that route, no game specific characters should be in Brawl, only ones that appear in all the games. That means that Fire Emblem couldn't even have a rep and neither could Mother, none of the pokemon could be in it because, let's face it, their roles are subjective at best, F-Zero couldn't have anyone except Captain Falcon because he's the only character that's played a major role in all the games, etc. King Dedede, gone. Metaknight, gone. Zelda, gone. Diddy Kong, gone. Here comes the real shocker: Luigi, Bowser, and Peach, gone. This also destroys probably a good 90% of the fans "wish list" for the game.

Anyways, as I've explained in an earlier post, Super Mario RPG was a very significant title in both Nintendo and Mario's history and, much like the one time titles that are already represented in Brawl, it should get its shot too.

9. And he's she listed under Kingdom Hearts. Now I know the Sonic guy was also not listed under Sonic, but you have to remember, that half of the musicians don't even represent the games they worked on in the past. This is a complete assumption if you think its a pro.

When you consider how Geno was in 2/3 Nintendo games that she composed for and how "Beware the Poison Mushrooms" (AKA Forest Maze) was the only Mario tune in Sakurai's journal that was requested by name, it makes sense. Also, if you read the list of composers, Sakurai's very straight forward with the people who have composed for first/second party games but a lot more secretive when it comes to those that did third party ones. In a way, you answered your own question when you brought up the guy who did the music for Sonic Adventure 2 but was credited for doing the music for NIGHTS. Let's see, which one do you think more people played and (heck, might as well go for the more obvious question) which one do you think more people bought?

10. So why not add in Cloud? Everyone knows him. He's popular and succesful. Unlike Geno.

Because his only appearance on a Nintendo platform was a summon in Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories... That's why... Also, unlike Cloud, Nintendo has plenty of connections that would make Geno a snap to get. (Both directors of Super Mario RPG work for Nintendo under Alpha Dream and the producer was Shigeru Miyamoto... I don't even have to explain the benefits of that.) Also, would you like to compare the "rental" costs and overall worth of Geno to Cloud? No, I thought not. So what we're comparing here is a character that has plenty of important people from Nintendo connected to him that's virtually worthless to the third party he belongs to and would cost peanuts to rent compared to a character that basically has no connections and is one of Square Enix's biggest icons. (It should also be noted that he's never starred in a Nintendo exclusive, unlike Snake and Sonic, so that just adds insult to injury.)

The flaws in comparison are clearly biased, but that makes sense, since it is written by you guys. Heck, why would Sakurai like a third party character that's obscure? Good question. Why did he like the Ice Climbers? Why did he like Mr. Game and Watch? Why are Professor Kawashima (a giant floating head), Sukapon (a robot made of flying parts) and Takamaru (the star of a Japanese exclusive on the NES that many have forgotten) people that are mentioned more then once in his journal? Why did personally express his interest in Muddy Mole, the star of a largely forgotten GB game in the early 90s?

Maybe a first or second party one, but it's a complete waste to get a 3rd party one that no one has heared about. =/
How many people know the character is hardly the issue here and, if you've been paying attention, you'd be fully aware of that. Also, as mentioned countless times, if Geno were included, he'd be a Mario character and not someone to represent Square Enix in its entirety.

My responses in Red.

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
sneaking low to the ground, ready to pounce
Yes, finally! Someone who agrees with me on that one! I've been telling people that all the time!

Yeah, not many people see this because they think that since it's a Zelda game. Glad we see eye to eye here. IT's always good to have at least one point we can agree on

FLUDD had a character death, possibly the first Mario character death ever. (Alibeit an immediate revival) and became Mario's companion, definitely an equivalent to Geno.

I actually forgot about that part from the game, but considering that for the entire last two thirds of the game you are merely helping Geno recover and repair the star road I'm certain he's slightly more important than Fludd who, albeit does have some character depth, was still just a utility to help mario clean the island.

I read what you wrote the first time, and it is Mario's game, with Geno's plot interrupting it. In fact, Mario is the main character in that game and Geno is definitely a secondary (if not teritary) character. In KOTOR The assasin droid tells you
that you're really Darth Revan
, however he is merely a secondary character. Just because Geno introduces Mario to the bigger picture and aids him along the way he does not suddenly become the main character.

I've never played KOTOR, though I've always wanted too, so I can't accurtately speak here as I don't know how important beyond what you just said the droid is to the overall plot of the game. However, if he isn't the sole driving force for you or your part after a certain point, then I still don't think he's as important as Geno.
Responses are in Bold. ^_^

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
a thought occured, if mario rpg is so great and popular how com there hasnt been a remake yet. All other popular games (such as ic, kid icarus, super mario bros., hell even donkey kong country) from nes and snes have been remade in some form or another, either on gb or on vc.

It was announced to appear on the VC. Also, how often do you expect a Mario RPG with square to be made?

That's likE saying "IF FOOTBALL IS SO POPULAR IN AMERICA THEN WHY ISNT THERE A MARIO FOOTBALL GAME?!?!?"

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord

It was announced to appear on the VC. Also, how often do you expect a Mario RPG with square to be made?

That's likE saying "IF FOOTBALL IS SO POPULAR IN AMERICA THEN WHY ISNT THERE A MARIO FOOTBALL GAME?!?!?"

where/when was it announced? and mario football seems likely. They already have golf, tennis, baseball, basketball, racing and soccer. Plus it would be pretty cool to see mario and company playing football.

DarkVision

Smash Journeyman
where/when was it announced? and mario football seems likely. They already have golf, tennis, baseball, basketball, racing and soccer. Plus it would be pretty cool to see mario and company playing football.
Well it's suppose to come out in December but I haven't heard about it for a while.

It was suppose to be remade A LOT of times in the past though...

I'd rather see a DS version myself...

Luckily, rumor has it a DS Sequel made by Square is being considered...RUMOR

Shadow Star

Smash Apprentice
Ugggg... enough with these facts and opinions and crap. Can't we just stop arguing about Geno? :urg:

Why can't all you people who are against Geno just leave? We've heard all your facts and opinions OVER AND OVER and we just don't care. We don't care how low you think Geno's chances are, and we don't care about how you see his importance. Don't you people have anything better to do than mess with people who like a character that you don't? Why don't you go support a character you like? We promise not to invade your topic and debate about your character. We just want peace! :(

I really don't see why we can't get along and support the characters we like, instead of attacking each other. Is it really that hard? Can you really not resist bothering people who like a character you don't like?

Anyway, I have nothing more to say right now. Fellow Geno Alliance members: The topic of discussion I suggested is still open if you care: If there really is going to be a SMRPG sequel and Geno is going to be in it, what kind of new techniques do you think Geno will have?

AllanT

Smash Apprentice
Super Mario RPG is the MOST requested game for the VC...

It's coming out by the end of the year...

ALSO, rumor has it, SQUARE might be considering a sequel
where did you hear this rumor? if a new game was coming out (which would be awesome) then his inclusion would be even greater!

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
How many people know the character is hardly the issue here and, if you've been paying attention, you'd be fully aware of that. Also, as mentioned countless times, if Geno were included, he'd be a Mario character and not someone to represent Square Enix in its entirety.

My responses in Red.
Hey FMOI :p , Haven't seen you in a bit :laugh: , Anyhow Jimmysilverrims ... You need to go debate with him since he keeps getting on here and your the best geno supporter i know to defeat the case :laugh:!
Hmmm anyhow what "Geno related and not debate-war" Geno subject shall we talk on know :p ? What are some good taunts for him O.O?

Enigma14

Smash Champion
Ugggg... enough with these facts and opinions and crap. Can't we just stop arguing about Geno? :urg:

Why can't all you people who are against Geno just leave? We've heard all your facts and opinions OVER AND OVER and we just don't care. We don't care how low you think Geno's chances are, and we don't care about how you see his importance. Don't you people have anything better to do than mess with people who like a character that you don't? Why don't you go support a character you like? We promise not to invade your topic and debate about your character. We just want peace! :(

I really don't see why we can't get along and support the characters we like, instead of attacking each other. Is it really that hard? Can you really not resist bothering people who like a character you don't like?

Anyway, I have nothing more to say right now. Fellow Geno Alliance members: The topic of discussion I suggested is still open if you care: If there really is going to be a SMRPG sequel and Geno is going to be in it, what kind of new techniques do you think Geno will have?

Post this in a new thread to see reactions.

As for your topic...ROCKET KICK SHOES :chuckle: SRSLY! If hecan project his limbs and turn into a cannon why not his feet?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
where did you hear this rumor? if a new game was coming out (which would be awesome) then his inclusion would be even greater!
1. Link to the IGN article about the ESRB announcing certain games back in November 06. It should be also noted that Super Mario RPG is the only Mario canon game that has been added yet and more then half of the games on this list have been. (Duck Hunt and Wild Gunman were dropped for obvious reasons.)

2. Article from Go Nintendo stating the rumor about a possible SMRPG sequel in the making.

DynamiteSpoony

Smash Journeyman
A large, dark stormy castle with lots of bats.
But in all seriousness--do you guys honestly think Geno is the main character of SMRPG?
He's one of them. SMRPG has five main characters.

Of course, my defintion of main character is anyone who's playable for the majority of the game/is a major villian who appears consistantly throughout.

Geno is a main character. Mario is a main character. Smithy is not.

Top Bottom