• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Geno Thread

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
Actually, there was enough pack in Melee to be able to throw in a couple of retro characters from Nintendo's past (At no additional cost!)

Geno isn't a thousand times more popular, if anything he's less popular that those classic retro character because those characters, unlike Geno, have their own game! Geno was piggybacking on a Mario game that was made years ago and really hasn't seen any sort of action while the others have been resurrected with the VC and huge cult followings, however Geno on the other hand has been merely a pop culture faux pas who has only been kept alive by some people who desperately hope that Geno would get in on Brawl, when really, he has a very, very slim chance.

'Nuff said.
He didn't have his own game, but everyone knew who he was and he's always the favorite character in SMRPG, even over Mario. He's MUCH more popular than Game and Watch and Ice Climbers, even AFTER they appeared in Melee.

D

Deleted member

But, jimmy.
The storyline in SM:RPG affected Geno the most outa everybody. He worked for the Star Road. It was broken by Smithy and his minions. If anything MARIO WAS HELPING GENO. Mario was just the main star of the game.

koopa cape located at the end of rainbow road
Actually ver high, for ME.

I predicted him to be in the next Smash BRos within a month of Melee's release. I never heard of his game or him until I saw his trophy. But after finding out a little bit, I figured he would make a good charcter and expected him to be included.
werent pit and balloon fighter supposed to be in melee?

DynamiteSpoony

Smash Journeyman
A large, dark stormy castle with lots of bats.
Actually, there was enough pack in Melee to be able to throw in a couple of retro characters from Nintendo's past (At no additional cost!)

Geno isn't a thousand times more popular, if anything he's less popular that those classic retro character because those characters, unlike Geno, have their own game! Geno was piggybacking on a Mario game that was made years ago and really hasn't seen any sort of action while the others have been resurrected with the VC and huge cult followings, however Geno on the other hand has been merely a pop culture faux pas who has only been kept alive by some people who desperately hope that Geno would get in on Brawl, when really, he has a very, very slim chance.

'Nuff said.
I'm pretty sure SMRPG was a more popular and better selling game than ICE CLIMBER.

And why do you keep insisting that Geno's fanbase is tiny? Because you've never heard of him?

Hey, I've never played any Fire Emblem games before. In fact, I can't even list off most of the characters. This must mean that Fire Emblem is an insignificant game with very little bearing on what goes on, right?

And DON'T USE WORDS IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY MEAN. Faux pas does NOT mean "flash in the pan".

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
Young Link. Need I say more?

That, and WW Link or Cel Shaded Link, and especially Wolf Link have incredibly diffrent moves than Link (A wolf with a bow and arrow?) and are incredibly popular. Besides, don't you think that Zelda deserves another character?

Young Link was in because he was a clone. Zelda is my favorite video game series, and I would love for them to have more characters, but there really is no one to fit the place as a playable character besides the main 3 1/2. Except Maybe Vaiti or however you spell his name, but I strongly doubt it.

And Baloon fighter was originally, but I don't think Pit was.

jimmysilverrims

Smash Ace
Attatched to a bungie cord, reppelling into Ninten
He didn't have his own game, but everyone knew who he was and he's always the favorite character in SMRPG, even over Mario. He's MUCH more popular than Game and Watch and Ice Climbers, even AFTER they appeared in Melee.
Well really you have a bit of a bias, don't you, seeing as you're a fan? I mean, a Trekkie says Star Trek is more popular that Star Wars while a Warsie will say the reverse. Really, majoritively, populairity is a frame of mind, but i you look solely at profit, Geno hasn't made any money since the SNES went out while Pit, the Ice Climbers, even GaW got tons of money from their games alone, not to mention the cash made off the VC.

'Nuff said.

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
sneaking low to the ground, ready to pounce
werent pit and balloon fighter supposed to be in melee?
Pit was supposed to be in 64 IIRC.

Then Pit, Baloon Fighter, Mach Rider, Sonic, Ridley and Snake were SUPPOSED to be in Melee.

They could not get Pit's wings right, Ridley's tail right. Sonic and Snake's inclusion came up too late to be implemented before release [Melee WAS rushed] and Ballon fighter and Mach righter were cut, but were supposingly in the beta.

But, jimmy.
The storyline in SM:RPG affected Geno the most outa everybody. He worked for the Star Road. It was broken by Smithy and his minions. If anything MARIO WAS HELPING GENO. Mario was just the main star of the game.
in paper mario twink was from the star haven. He came to peach to help her out. He moved the story along by finding out info and telling mario where to go nect. Twink was also integral in the final battle, by defending peach and powering up the star beam. Sooo by your logic any character that moves the plot along should be in. Sooo by your logic twink should be in brawl if geno is in.

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
Yea, I'm a fan but I can put my bias aside in any debate. I love Nintendo and have grown up with them for the last 15 years about, but I can still debate how much better the 360 is compared to the Wii. Even though I love SMRPG, I don't see Mallow having as much of a chance of becoming a playable character. Sure, he would go along with GEno, but Geno was much more developed and has an enormous fanbase, which Mallow did not. Geno just fits the bill.

I played 10 minutes of Metroid for GC and don't like the Metroid series, but form what I have head, Ridley (even though a lot of this fans here aren't so great) seems like a good choice for Brawl.

It's not just any bias, it's logic and reaosning.

DynamiteSpoony

Smash Journeyman
Well really you have a bit of a bias, don't you, seeing as you're a fan? I mean, a Trekkie says Star Trek is more popular that Star Wars while a Warsie will say the reverse. Really, majoritively, populairity is a frame of mind, but i you look solely at profit, Geno hasn't made any money since the SNES went out while Pit, the Ice Climbers, even GaW got tons of money from their games alone, not to mention the cash made off the VC.

'Nuff said.
...What games? Oh, Kid Icarus had one extremely unheard-of sequel. Other than that, none of them have made any more money than SMRPG, except through VC. And since SMRPG is the most requested VC game....

jimmysilverrims

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure SMRPG was a more popular and better selling game than ICE CLIMBER.

And why do you keep insisting that Geno's fanbase is tiny? Because you've never heard of him?

Hey, I've never played any Fire Emblem games before. In fact, I can't even list off most of the characters. This must mean that Fire Emblem is an insignificant game with very little bearing on what goes on, right?

And DON'T USE WORDS IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY MEAN. Faux pas does NOT mean "flash in the pan".
I'll come back with statistics, but with SMRPG being the last SNES game ever made it probably wasn't huge, however I do not doubt the lack of sales from Ice Climbers.

I call Geno's fanbase as tin because it is tiny, at least, it's tiny compared to other, more popular characters such as Megaman, Bomberman, or even Banjo.

Faux is a violation of accepted, although unwritten, social rules. Do not accuse me of not knowing what words mean.

'Nuff said.

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
in paper mario twink was from the star haven. He came to peach to help her out. He moved the story along by finding out info and telling mario where to go nect. Twink was also integral in the final battle, by defending peach and powering up the star beam. Sooo by your logic any character that moves the plot along should be in. Sooo by your logic twink should be in brawl if geno is in.

We don't need dumb examples. Mario/Bowser also move stories along. We're not syaing any charatcer that moves it along should be in, we're saying that Geno had the biggest role in the story for SMRPG.

jimmysilverrims

Smash Ace
...What games? Oh, Kid Icarus had one extremely unheard-of sequel. Other than that, none of them have made any more money than SMRPG, except through VC. And since SMRPG is the most requested VC game....
Any more unheard of han some secondary, actually teritary character in some RPG that made moderate sales just because it had Mario in it? And as for the supposed "most asked for on the VC" is questionable, as there is no prove to back you up.

'Nuff said.

We don't need dumb examples. Mario/Bowser also move stories along. We're not syaing any charatcer that moves it along should be in, we're saying that Geno had the biggest role in the story for SMRPG.
but that is the reason you guys are giving for geno being so important, when in reality twink has the same role and yet there is no question in anyones mind that we will not be in brawl. you guys are only looking at things in ways that benifit your argument.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
but that is the reason you guys are giving for geno being so important, when in reality twink has the same role and yet there is no question in anyones mind that we will not be in brawl. you guys are only looking at things in ways that benifit your argument.
Twink isn't a heavenly warrior with power greater than any other. Twink doesn't have a fan base either...and I don't think he's playable

DynamiteSpoony

Smash Journeyman
I'll come back with statistics, but with SMRPG being the last SNES game ever made it probably wasn't huge, however I do not doubt the lack of sales from Ice Climbers.

I call Geno's fanbase as tin because it is tiny, at least, it's tiny compared to other, more popular characters such as Megaman, Bomberman, or even Banjo.

Faux is a violation of accepted, although unwritten, social rules. Do not accuse me of not knowing what words mean.

'Nuff said.
Actually, it sold very well, for a late SNES game. I think it was 1.5 million copies? I don't have the exact stats, but I know someone here does.

Of course his fanbase isn't as big as those you mentioned! I didn't say his fanbase was OMG MASSSIVE! Just not hopelessly tiny.

That's true, but the TERM faux pas is used for when a person completely screws up a sentence.

jimmysilverrims

Smash Ace
Twink isn't a heavenly warrior with power greater than any other. Twink doesn't have a fan base either...and I don't think he's playable
Then you must be saying that secondary characters should get in simply because they have a moderate fanbase? Please, just because a character is playable does not make them worthy of getting in Brawl.

I mean, seriously, this is Brawl. A place for the best of the best. We can't really afford to have some has been from an old SNES game that was a mere teritary character that didn't even star him, but rather Mario.

I honestly think that Pichu has a better chance of returning to Brawl then Geno, I mean, the Pichu Bros. are popular in Japan and have been in film and in much more games than the little wooden puppet. So shouldn't Pichu return if Geno's getting in? Because that seems to be what you're suggesting.

'Nuff said.

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
Actually, I'd say thsat Mario played the biggest part in Super Mario RPG.
Ummm... no. If you play the game, you'll realize that about 1% through until about 35% through of the story, Mario starts and completes his objective of saving Peach.

About 5% though, when the first star piece is found in Mushroom Kingdom, the entire game is Geno trying to repair the star road and stop Smithy. He convinces every character to join him on his quest.

The 1.5 million copies was in Japn alone. That's not even including the rest of thw world.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Then you must be saying that secondary characters should get in simply because they have a moderate fanbase? Please, just because a character is playable does not make them worthy of getting in Brawl.

I mean, seriously, this is Brawl. A place for the best of the best. We can't really afford to have some has been from an old SNES game that was a mere teritary character that didn't even star him, but rather Mario.

I honestly think that Pichu has a better chance of returning to Brawl then Geno, I mean, the Pichu Bros. are popular in Japan and have been in film and in much more games than the little wooden puppet. So shouldn't Pichu return if Geno's getting in? Because that seems to be what you're suggesting.

'Nuff said.
Well then, that's very nice for you. I personally think the evidence is pointing to his inclusion in Brawl but whatever...have, have your own opinion.

jimmysilverrims

Smash Ace
Actually, it sold very well, for a late SNES game. I think it was 1.5 million copies? I don't have the exact stats, but I know someone here does.

Of course his fanbase isn't as big as those you mentioned! I didn't say his fanbase was OMG MASSSIVE! Just not hopelessly tiny.

That's true, but the TERM faux pas is used for when a person completely screws up a sentence.
Alright, makes sense, I mean a lot of games have made a lot of sales, however there are tons and tons of other elligible characters that are waaay more popular with gigantic fanbases, what makes Geno so special?

Thanks for the heads up, looks like I made a faux pas. :chuckle:

'Nuff said.

DynamiteSpoony

Smash Journeyman
Any more unheard of han some secondary, actually teritary character in some RPG that made moderate sales just because it had Mario in it? And as for the supposed "most asked for on the VC" is questionable, as there is no prove to back you up.

'Nuff said.
LOL at you saying SMRPG is terribly obscure. You see, people outside of Japan actually KNOW of its existence.

Teritary? No. You see, Geno was actually playable. A teritary character is someone like Valentina. Nope, he's not secondary, either. That's someone important and reoccuring, but not playable/heavily bearing on the plot, like the Chancellor. Geno's a PRIMARY character, arguably the most important to the story, and also arguably the best playable character in the game.

I admit, there's STILL no proof for SMRPG being the most requested VC game. But it does sound reasonable. Just because you've never played SMRPG doesn't mean no one else has.

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
Just because you don't like him does not make it some bad selling game with a moderate fanbase or whatever you want to use to describe it. It was the last big hit on SNES, was a huge seller, has geno as the favorite character by people who have played it, and Geno has a huge fan base because of it. Those are facts and popular opinion.

Those are just based on SMRPG. There's a whole other book of facts with Sakurai's interest in Brawl, how unique the character is, great moveset, and other points that add to that.

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
Geno is really the main character of the game. Just becuase it's got mario in the title really doesn't mean much. You don't always play as the main character in games.

Two great examples of this are Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy XII.

In FFX the main character is Yuna. Tidus is the Love Interest. Yes he's important, but it's Yuna's story, not his.

In Final Fantasy XII you play as a mere boy who gets caught up in the story of the main characters. Vaan and Penelo really don't add much to the story in the grand scheme of things.

And to apply this to SMRPG:

You start the game as mario seeking to save the Princess from Bowser when Smithy destroys the Star road. You quest to save the princess again, not really understanding what the star road IS. Geno however, starts his journey intending to repair the star road and save everyones wishes. On his journey he meets the main party who now realize what must be done and accompany Geno on this quest. They save the Princess on the way. Although you play as Mario, it's really Geno's story.

jimmysilverrims

Smash Ace
Well then, that's very nice for you. I personally think the evidence is pointing to his inclusion in Brawl but whatever...have, have your own opinion.
Well, you should understand that I'm not trying to undercut people, just give the facts, seeing as it appears that no one is using real facts to back up their claims. Sure if you say that Sakurai is interested in Geno and say that he's got a huge fanbase and say that he's 2nd party then yeah, a lot of people are going to believe you, but when you can't use facts, which I have been able to do, you'll be shown that you really don't have enough evidence to make a good case. This stuff isn't my belief, it's just an objective conclusion dawn from fact.

'Nuff said.

DynamiteSpoony

Smash Journeyman
Geno is really the main character of the game. Just becuase it's got mario in the title really doesn't mean much. You don't always play as the main character in games.

In FFX the main character is Yuna. Tidus is the Love Interest. Yes he's important, but it's Yuna's story, not his.

In Final Fantasy XII you play as a mere boy who gets caught up in the story of the main characters. Vaan and Penelo really don't add much to the story in the grand scheme of things.

You start the game as mario seeking to save the Princess from Bowser when Smithy destroys the Star road. You quest to save the princess again, not really understanding what the star road IS. Geno however, starts his journey intending to repair the star road and save everyones wishes. On his journey he meets the main party who now realize what must be done and accompany Geno on this quest. They save the Princess on the way. Although you play as Mario, it's really Geno's story.
Another way to see this is to judge what each character's subplot ultimately gets you within the game:

Mario: Peach and Bowser join your team.

Mallow: Access to final 2 levels.

Geno: Collect all Star Pieces, defeat Smithy.

Bowser: A couple extra battles you don't have to fight.

Peach: Umm....

So, I guess as far as actual importance to the game itself, the order is: Geno, Mallow, Mario, Bowser, Peach. Interesting...

jimmysilverrims

Smash Ace

Right, and you could say that Twilight Princess isn't Link's game because Midna is the person who saved him from jail and fought Zant. And I suppose that Super Mario Sunshine is FLUDD's game because Mario couldn't clean up anything with out FLUDD. And I bet Luigi's Mansion is E. Gadd's game because he provided the Poltiergust.

Really, anyone could debate who's games who's but if it has MARIO's name in the title and you play mostly as MARIO than MARIO is the main character.

'Nuff said.

DynamiteSpoony

Smash Journeyman
Well, you should understand that I'm not trying to undercut people, just give the facts, seeing as it appears that no one is using real facts to back up their claims. Sure if you say that Sakurai is interested in Geno and say that he's got a huge fanbase and say that he's 2nd party then yeah, a lot of people are going to believe you, but when you can't use facts, which I have been able to do, you'll be shown that you really don't have enough evidence to make a good case. This stuff isn't my belief, it's just an objective conclusion dawn from fact.

'Nuff said.
Sorry in advance if this is a double post.

You have yet to pull up any proof either, Jack. You have yet to prove that his fanbase is small or anything. All you've said is the same stuff we've heard a thousand times before.

Your words =/= facts. BELIEVE IT.

GhostAnime

Smash Ace

'Nuff said.
I was referring to their popularity before Smash Bros. Melee even came to be, ya know.

ValiantVernon

Smash Journeyman
lol watever dude all everyone on here is saying is that Geno is well liked and would work for the game, also the fact that if u look about 20 pages back ull find a quoted article speaking how Sakurai himself looked into Geno... so how is that not fact?But watever man i think theres a pretty apparent fan base due to the fact that he survives to the finals in almost every poll given!!!! And for the final point also in a post ull find where someone else found an article talking about how Geno IS second party! Have fun with that man

jimmysilverrims

Smash Ace
Another way to see this is to judge what each character's subplot ultimately gets you within the game:

Mario: Peach and Bowser join your team.

Mallow: Access to final 2 levels.

Geno: Collect all Star Pieces, defeat Smithy.

Bowser: A couple extra battles you don't have to fight.

Peach: Umm....

So, I guess as far as actual importance to the game itself, the order is: Geno, Mallow, Mario, Bowser, Peach. Interesting...
Listen, as I've said, a character's importance can be debated to the ends of the earth, you can play as Wario for all of Super Mario 64 DS, but Mario ends up beating Bowser. Who's game is it? Mario's! Why? because his name's in the title! Is Wario the main character in WarioWare? Yes! Why? Not because he's in the hardest level, but because it's his game. Whenm the game is theirs and you play asthem then it's them who's the most important character, Geno is nothing more than a secondary character with a vested interest in the plot.

Like Robin, who had a vendetta with Two Face, he's still nothing more than sidekick, even if he went to become Nightwing.

'Nuff said.

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
Right, and you could say that Twilight Princess isn't Link's game because Midna is the person who saved him from jail and fought Zant. And I suppose that Super Mario Sunshine is FLUDD's game because Mario couldn't clean up anything with out FLUDD. And I bet Luigi's Mansion is E. Gadd's game because he provided the Poltiergust.

Really, anyone could debate who's games who's but if it has MARIO's name in the title and you play mostly as MARIO than MARIO is the main character.

'Nuff said.
Midna IS more important than Link AND Zelda in TP. The whole game is about her. She's got the most actual character development, and it's almost entirely about her world.

Talking about Fludd being the main character is silly, he didn't add anything to the plot. Where was his character development. The screw attack was not a character in metroid with character development, and neither was fludd in Sunshine.

And E Gadd had no character development either, nor did he do anything actively other than give you the apparatus. Final Fantasy I is not the King of Corneria's game because he had the bridge fixed for you.

You completely MISSED my point. Mario is NOT the Main character because you play as him. I gave you actual examples where you PLAY the game as a character who isn't the main one. Your counter arguments were extremely off the mark. Please reread what I wrote.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Listen, as I've said, a character's importance can be debated to the ends of the earth, you can play as Wario for all of Super Mario 64 DS, but Mario ends up beating Bowser. Who's game is it? Mario's! Why? because his name's in the title! Is Wario the main character in WarioWare? Yes! Why? Not because he's in the hardest level, but because it's his game. Whenm the game is theirs and you play asthem then it's them who's the most important character, Geno is nothing more than a secondary character with a vested interest in the plot.

Like Robin, who had a vendetta with Two Face, he's still nothing more than sidekick, even if he went to become Nightwing.

'Nuff said.
Geno is not Mario's side kick

He's like Mario's version of Gandolf the Grey (However it's spelled)

jimmysilverrims

Smash Ace
lol watever dude all everyone on here is saying is that Geno is well liked and would work for the game, also the fact that if u look about 20 pages back ull find a quoted article speaking how Sakurai himself looked into Geno... so how is that not fact?But watever man i think theres a pretty apparent fan base due to the fact that he survives to the finals in almost every poll given!!!! And for the final point also in a post ull find where someone else found an article talking about how Geno IS second party! Have fun with that man
This is one of the most slurred and unsupported quote I have ever had the displeasure of quoting. I'm not one to be judgemental, but this quote has absolutely no support for itself and thusly will be ignored, but thank you for using this thread, I'm sure McFox thanks you.

jimmysilverrims

Smash Ace
Apologies for a double post

Geno is not Mario's side kick

He's like Mario's version of Gandolf the Grey (However it's spelled)
He's like Mario's Luigi, but not close and not i any other games. Essentially a side kick, if not a party member. Totally expendable, if not simply someone they have to drag along because he leaped out of nowhere and screamed "Take me with you, I want to help!"

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
He's like Mario's Luigi, but not close and not i any other games. Essentially a side kick, if not a party member. Totally expendable, if not simply someone they have to drag along because he leaped out of nowhere and screamed "Take me with you, I want to help!"
No, he's not really. That goes more to Mallow.

As I said, Geno is more of a guide to Mario

Top Bottom