• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Geno Thread

jimmysilverrims

Smash Ace
Attatched to a bungie cord, reppelling into Ninten
*Sigh*.

Just, stfu. If you don't want him, cool. We don't care how much proof you find about Geno not being in, or any sort of contradictions or whatever. It's just cool to discuss Geno, and the moves he can have, the clothes he'll wear, etc. This forum ISN'T about finding reasons as to why he shouldn't be in the game. It's the opposite, really.

kthxbai.
How incredibily rude! Honestly, show some dignity, man. Or at least a little bit of good grammar (fail is spelled with an f), and telling me to shut the f*** up is insanely immature. If you can't handle being wrong then perhaps you need to learn to calm down, but making such rude claims is totally childish.

By the way, a Geno for Brawl thread is (or at least should be) open to all ideas on Geno, optimistic and realistic. I've stated only facts and if you can't face the facts then you'll be really bummed when Brawl comes out and (in a not very surprising event) Geno isn't in Brawl.

'Nuff said.

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
To the people that complain Geno isn't well known:

- He's the most popular character in a game that sold 2.5 million copies and is currently the most request VC title.

- Sakurai has shown MUCH interest in him.

- You don't have to be the most popular character in the last 2 years to be in Brawl. Please See Ice Climbers, G+W, Marth, Roy, Falco, etc etc.

So he's an extremely popular character to one of the most liked Mario games ever with an incredible and unique moveset. So now that that's confirmed as fact, let's see what else you guys have.

D

Deleted member

jimmysilverrims, Dude, Sakurai likes Geno. If Sakurai wants to put in Geno because he loves him that is HIS choice.

You fail to realize how god like Sakurai really is.

KritikalError

Smash Apprentice
How incredibily rude! Honestly, show some dignity, man. Or at least a little bit of good grammar (fail is spelled with an f), and telling me to shut the f*** up is insanely immature. If you can't handle being wrong then perhaps you need to learn to calm down, but making such rude claims is totally childish.

By the way, a Geno for Brawl thread is (or at least should be) open to all ideas on Geno, optimistic and realistic. I've stated only facts and if you can't face the facts then you'll be really bummed when Brawl comes out and (in a not very surprising event) Geno isn't in Brawl.

'Nuff said.
i kno how FAIL iz spelt. >.>
im sorri, but if u even hav any sense youd realize that dis thread ISNT about Geno not being in the game. I'm not repeetin myself.
jus grow up an stop attempting 2 pik fightz. u jus post ur opinions cuz u want to pik fights.

How's that for bad grammar. I'm not a COMPLETE idiot. Just a little bit. =P

RDK

Smash Hero
jimmysilverrims, Dude, Sakurai likes Geno. If Sakurai wants to put in Geno because he loves him that is HIS choice.

You fail to realize how god like Sakurai really is.
I can't believe people still use this argument. If Sakurai wants Geno in, he can't just plop him in Brawl. There's legal crap he has to wade through first. He has to tangle with Square Enix.

And believe it or not, Sakurai has bosses, too. He doesn't have free range over anything.

Also, ever heard of a budget?

jimmysilverrims

Smash Ace
I've never really understood how Geno's chances are low if Sakurai loved him. if this is such a fact, where's the evidence?
That's alright, perhaps you haven't read my previous posts, if you read them most of this will become clear to you.

What I don't understand is this: Where is the proof that Sakurai "loves" Geno? Honestly, he showed interest in him, like he showed interest in Little Mac, that doesn't nessecarily mean that he'll get in.

Oh, and if anyone will mention: "Geno was on the poll." You must realize that the poll was definitely a hodgepodge of random well-known characters. (James Bond was on the list) so really, I wouldn't put mucht stock in the poll.

'Nuff said.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace

'Nuff said.
Geno had a cameo appearance in Super Star Saga. I believe all Square-Enix received in return was credit for the character. Do you think that Nintendo went and begged for Geno to be added to the game for just an appearance? Do you think Square-Enix came to Nintendo and asked them what they wanted about Geno? Realistically, how did Geno appear in this game? Black Mage and a Moogle were added to Mario Hoops 3-on-3. Square and Nintendo are starting to cooperate.

Why would Square not want Nintendo to come and talk to them about Geno? Since Geno can only be used in Mario games, why not make an exchange with them? Nintendo can use Geno for the game, but the a third party slot must be a Square character? This would be good business for Square and Nintendo.

This isn't to argue with you. I am just asking you if you think this would make sense for Square and Nintendo? Also, there is a rumor(I know. It is just a rumor.) that a 'direct' sequel to Super Mario RPG is being 'talked' about for the DS. Take that for what it's worth(which is very little) but that is a rumor about another SMRPG game.

jimmysilverrims

Smash Ace
I can't believe people still use this argument. If Sakurai wants Geno in, he can't just plop him in Brawl. There's legal crap he has to wade through first. He has to tangle with Square Enix.

And believe it or not, Sakurai has bosses, too. He doesn't have free range over anything.

Also, ever heard of a budget?
I'm so glad that there are other people here that look at this situation objectively before jumping into a side and blindly defending it without thinking.

'Nuff said.

GhostAnime

Smash Ace
That's alright, perhaps you haven't read my previous posts, if you read them most of this will become clear to you.

What I don't understand is this: Where is the proof that Sakurai "loves" Geno? Honestly, he showed interest in him, like he showed interest in Little Mac, that doesn't nessecarily mean that he'll get in.

Oh, and if anyone will mention: "Geno was on the poll." You must realize that the poll was definitely a hodgepodge of random well-known characters. (James Bond was on the list) so really, I wouldn't put mucht stock in the poll.

'Nuff said.
notice the word 'if'. I was only saying that if Sakurai had great interest, why would his chances REMAIN low?

D

Deleted member

Did Little Mac get 4 mentions?

RDK

Smash Hero

This guy actually brings up some good points. You'd do well to listen to him.

And BTW, you have to remember that the poll is not an accurate representation of the entire gaming community--or ANY community at that. I sure as hell didn't vote. Does that make my opinion any less important than someone who did? No.

And I'm sure a lot of other fans didn't vote who have just as much a right to be heard as those who did.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Geno for Brawl...Over 10,000!!!

I think the beam should be controllable for uniqueness and realism.

Think about it, the other way it's not unique at all...maybe even a little too powerful actually.

A thin controllable beam seems realistic...
Wow...Next to 20,000 before gimpy sees :laugh:!
Ok seriously i hope he makes it ... It would be really ironic if sakurai updated him twomorrow :p

Loooooni

Smash Ace
Stuck in the 4th dungeon of twilight princess
You say that the poll was a random crap load of characters but hmmmm.. lets look at the top......
King Dedede(5) - CONFIRMED!
Diddy Kong(4) - CONFIRMED!
Geno(4)
Ike(4) - CONFIRMED!
Ridley(4)
wow would you look at that 3 of the top 5 have been confirmed so the poll doesn't matter???

jimmysilverrims

Smash Ace
Geno had a cameo appearance in Super Star Saga. I believe all Square-Enix received in return was credit for the character. Do you think that Nintendo went and begged for Geno to be added to the game for just an appearance? Do you think Square-Enix came to Nintendo and asked them what they wanted about Geno? Realistically, how did Geno appear in this game? Black Mage and a Moogle were added to Mario Hoops 3-on-3. Square and Nintendo are starting to cooperate.
Gee, a cameo in a handheld game. It's quite abit diffrent than a playable character in what may possibly be the biggest game ever to hit Nintendo. Square may be cordial with Nintendo, but their not dumb, they know when there's money to be made.

To the Mario Hoops teory: Did you notice that the characters on there were more iconic than an old, esqued retro character like Geno? Listen, does Diddy Kong Racing DS, Banjo Pilot, or Gruntie's revenge mean that Rare's friendly with Nintendo? Yeah, but does that mean Banjo's getting in Brawl? No.

Why would Square not want Nintendo to come and talk to them about Geno? Since Geno can only be used in Mario games, why not make an exchange with them? Nintendo can use Geno for the game, but the a third party slot must be a Square character? This would be good business for Square and Nintendo.
It would be great business, if they chose a poular character like Cloud or Black Mage. Look at it this way: They put in Geno, people buy SMRPG. Money goes to Nintendo. Cloud gets in, people buy Final Fantasy games. Square gets maney. Square would use a character that they can sell, get popular with Nintendo fans so that they start to warm up to Final Fantasy, if they put in Geno, people will dust off their SNES's or more likely, use the VC. Less money for Square. Square, if they ever were brought up to Nintendo would go with Cloud, Black Mage, or Moogle. Not some old character that has only been in one game.

This isn't to argue with you. I am just asking you if you think this would make sense for Square and Nintendo? Also, there is a rumor(I know. It is just a rumor.) that a 'direct' sequel to Super Mario RPG is being 'talked' about for the DS. Take that for what it's worth(which is very little) but that is a rumor about another SMRPG game.
Yeah, well, there's rumors of a Seventh Star Wars film and a Smash Bros. for the Ds, but neither are really likely, are they?

I appreciate your validity, and you make good poiunts, it's just that they don't compensate for the hurdles Geno would need to jump to get in Brawl, I'm sorry, but there is little to no chance that Geno will be in Brawl.

'Nuff said.
Gee, a cameo in a handheld game. It's quite abit diffrent than a playable character in what may possibly be the biggest game ever to hit Nintendo. Square may be cordial with Nintendo, but their not dumb, they know when there's money to be made.

Rick88

Smash Journeyman
Irrelevant. Geno's rights are held officially by Square and Nintendo would still have to fenagle with them to get him in Brawl, whatever you deside to designate him as is, as I have stated, irrelevant.

Really, It's not my place to say who's better, I'm not saying hes bad, in fact I'd love to see him in Brawl, it's just not likely.

A meager cult following means nothing to a corporation, it doesn't really matter if you "wish" he was in, the matter of the fact is that in order for him to get in Nintendo will have to slice up rights for what might be the best game for the Wii to Square, and the payoff will be meager. In the end, his chances are astronamically low.

Never once have I ever said he won't get in, his chances are just so low that there's really no point in holding out hope, I mean Rayman has better chances of getting in than him.

Flaming my friend? I'm merely making an injection of fact to a previously dull collection of one sided conversationalists.

My statements are goingg somewhere, in a way you don't like however, but a direction, and that direction is of fact, Geno's chances, no matter how much you denie it are slim, but there is a slight chance, yet however unlikely.

'Nuff said.
I understand your points, keep in mind I wasn't trying to single you out. I'm not saying you are as bad as the other anti geno have been, hence why I say "some" and "most". I'm just saying that most of you keep bringing up the same arguments that we've been discussing over the past weeks and months over and over again. I'm honestly getting sick of them.

Most of what you're saying is coming out of opinion not fact by the way. Geno's chances are just as good as Megaman's or Bomberman's. As said by numerous people already, Sakurai has mentioned him in the past in an interview which unfortunately I don't have the link to. Other than that he has a popular fanbase and has been shown in the polls. Now I understand the polls don't necessarily decide what character is going to be in Brawl; but I would say Sakurai used the polls to get an idea of what characters would be good for Brawl. Since in the end, it is entirely up to him who goes in and who does not. In other words as I said before, Geno's chance of getting into Brawl are as good as any other character who has a chance.

jimmysilverrims

Smash Ace
You say that the poll was a random crap load of characters but hmmmm.. lets look at the top......
King Dedede(5) - CONFIRMED!
Diddy Kong(4) - CONFIRMED!
Geno(4)
Ike(4) - CONFIRMED!
Ridley(4)
wow would you look at that 3 of the top 5 have been confirmed so the poll doesn't matter???
Well, guess who got jumped over? Listen, you may (along with the other poll goers) want Geno in, but you need to realize that Diddy, Dedede, and Ike were already preselected to be in Brawl, I mean honestly, it was so obvious for those characters that putting them on the poll was practically mandatory.

The poll doesn't effect the characters, it just coincides with it. We like the characters that Sakurai likes, not a big coincidence, but this does not mean that Sakurai will look at this and go: "Wow! Geno's in fourth place! The people must like him! I must spent all of the money in my budget and effort in this operation to get the rights and put it in the game, regardless of how much of a waste of a space and effort it will be! To the Sakurai-Mobile!"

'Nuff said.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmysilverrims
Such as? Listen, I'm not trolling as some less apreciative people around here claim. I'm merely stating fact.

Fact:
It costs money and game rights to get a character in

Only if 3rd Party, due to a loophole Geno is Second Party. A geno hater even looked into this.
Fact:
A character more well known will attract more customers than one that's less well known

Sakurai isn't about who is popular. FACT

Fact:
Characters that have been in retro games aren't as well known as ones that aren't.

True.

Fact:
Characters that don't have their own series aren't as well known as ones that do.

Characters that are retro aren't as well know, FACT.

Fact:
Characters that have only been in one game aren't as well known asones that do.

IC, Lucas, Ness, Roy(His game was after melee), Shiek...etc.

Fact:
Geno has been in only one retro game that wasn't his series where he was a secondary character and is third party.

See loophole and Geno is important to the plot that he had to collect the stars (See my past posts about star collecting being important.)

Fact:
If a character is less known he will make less profit that characters that are.

Not a fact. Due to Geno's rights S/E has a set amount for him set all Nintendo has to do is either pay or give credit.

Fact:
Nintendo cares primarily about profit.

Not all true, we don't know that for sure, hell Sakurai is even naming this a FAN SERVICE GAME.

Well, absolutely all of those were indisputable facts that all point to Geno having insanely slim chances.

Or decent to high chances

'Nuff said.

What you said.

How are you going to respond to this, Jimmy?

Enigma14

Smash Champion
This guy actually brings up some good points. You'd do well to listen to him.

And BTW, you have to remember that the poll is not an accurate representation of the entire gaming community--or ANY community at that. I sure as hell didn't vote. Does that make my opinion any less important than someone who did? No.

And I'm sure a lot of other fans didn't vote who have just as much a right to be heard as those who did.
Thank you! this is what I was trying to tell Dynamite earlier!

It would be great business, if they chose a poular character like Cloud or Black Mage. Look at it this way: They put in Geno, people buy SMRPG. Money goes to Nintendo. Cloud gets in, people buy Final Fantasy games. Square gets maney. Square would use a character that they can sell, get popular with Nintendo fans so that they start to warm up to Final Fantasy, if they put in Geno, people will dust off their SNES's or more likely, use the VC. Less money for Square. Square, if they ever were brought up to Nintendo would go with Cloud, Black Mage, or Moogle. Not some old character that has only been in one game.

Not true. Nintendo needs to pay for anyone from SMRPG who is S/E porperty so in a way they still make money. See my above post about the loophole serosfan look into

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
God these anti-Geno arguments are terrible. When Geno has more moves than Lil Mac, someone actually quoted that and acted as if they were talking about other characters????

*waits for someone to say I'm too biased to see any other opinons than my own*

So is all this Geno hate because people think that he doesn;t have a chance to get in Brawl? I just cannot imagine how anyone can think that he doesnt have an amazingly high chance of getting in. Please, someone name ONE third part that would get in ahead of him. Matter of fact, name one REGULAR character that could ge tin before him? Bomberman? No. Megaman? No. Not even K Rool and others that deserve a spot have a higher chance of Geno being in it.

And Banjo would surely be in Brawl if Rare wasn't with MS now.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Well, guess who got jumped over? Listen, you may (along with the other poll goers) want Geno in, but you need to realize that Diddy, Dedede, and Ike were already preselected to be in Brawl, I mean honestly, it was so obvious for those characters that putting them on the poll was practically mandatory.

The poll doesn't effect the characters, it just coincides with it. We like the characters that Sakurai likes, not a big coincidence, but this does not mean that Sakurai will look at this and go: "Wow! Geno's in fourth place! The people must like him! I must spent all of the money in my budget and effort in this operation to get the rights and put it in the game, regardless of how much of a waste of a space and effort it will be! To the Sakurai-Mobile!"

'Nuff said.
Some of your points are very good but your missing one thing.
To begin with you all here know sakurai's journal right ? Where he takes like what ? 200 Entries out of the 10,000 He gets ? And want to know who had 5 Journal entries ? Geno! And these were hand-picked by sakurai and staff so guesswhat ? They think he's interesting LoL! And Diddy may have been obvious , King dedede was a bit also , Ike ... o.O Still a bit obvious but the point is he DOES Listen to those results (All of these from melee ranked high on those polls or did well:Shiek Zelda Ganondorf Bowser Peach Falco Marth Mewtwo younglink.) Hmm gee the only ones that weren't besides the Smash 64 ones and MR G&W And IC , After that you have the clones like Doc Pichu and Roy ... Hmm i wonder , All those 9 ? Can it be ? It is!
So in the end he DOES Listen to people (Comprehend sonic plawkx.) and he has interest in the puppet which has a fairly high chance , Maybe he's not a "Shoo-in" But he has a well chance.

jimmysilverrims

Smash Ace
I understand your points, keep in mind I wasn't trying to single you out. I'm not saying you are as bad as the other anti geno have been, hence why I say "some" and "most". I'm just saying that most of you keep bringing up the same arguments that we've been discussing over the past weeks and months over and over again. I'm honestly getting sick of them.

Most of what you're saying is coming out of opinion not fact by the way. Geno's chances are just as good as Megaman's or Bomberman's. As said by numerous people already, Sakurai has mentioned him in the past in an interview which unfortunately I don't have the link to. Other than that he has a popular fanbase and has been shown in the polls. Now I understand the polls don't necessarily decide what character is going to be in Brawl; but I would say Sakurai used the polls to get an idea of what characters would be good for Brawl. Since in the end, it is entirely up to him who goes in and who does not. In other words as I said before, Geno's chance of getting into Brawl are as good as any other character who has a chance.
I applaud your objectivity and I admire your collective ness and thank you for your compliments. I enjoy having an intelligent debate with equally intelligent people.

However, I must intervene when you compare Geno to Megaman or Bomberman. Both Megaman and Bomberman are icon, representing not only their game franchises that have become wildly popular, but also an entire company, acting as a mascot of sorts. Geno once was a mascot before being replaced, was only in one game and, let's face it, is not as mainstream as other third party canidates. So, technically, Bomberman and Megaman have more going for them than Geno, and thusly have a better chance.

Honestly, Nintendo will be looking at profit, not just one poll, if anything the poll was to get people psyched about Brawl, not drastically alter the roster. Nintendo will be looking at not just popular, exciting characters but the most popular and exciting characters. Megaman, Bomberman, heck, even Rayman and Pac-man are more popular than him, just look at the massive amout of fan-sites, official works and company support. Even Pac-Man has had recent games and Rayman has hit hard with the popular Rabbid series. Geno, not so much, less popular and more remembered.

'Nuff said.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
bowser jr., olimar, krystal, wolf, lucario, for nintendo characters.

edit: ^^ in response to chi's post
Olimer and Krystal I would say has a high chance...

I really don't think that about Lucario though

Bowser Jr. might be inevitable but I'm not sure of his chances...

But I highly doubt wolf

Top Bottom